As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

It's MARVEL, baybee. X-Men on fire! Black Widow in May! Sam and Bucky in August!

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    I do not buy those rumors for a second

CYpGAPn.png
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    To be clear I don't think Loeb being shit moves the needle as far as they're concerned

But they've never shown even the tiniest bit of interest in merging their movies with their "TV" stuff

At best, AoS was able to wrangle some castoffs and cosplay as an MCU tie in

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Huh, Loeb only wore the Gi in 2018. I thought it was a lot longer than that.

• DysDys how am I even using this gun Registered User regular
    BlankZoe wrote: »

Ahhh, alright that's a shame then.

I thought Mike Colter did a damn good job as Luke.

• LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    The way I understood it, they wanted Cox to reprise the character but not necessarily carry the Netflix shows as Canon. Basically they liked his take on the character but wanted their own, closer aligned version

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Dys wrote: »

Ahhh, alright that's a shame then.

I thought Mike Colter did a damn good job as Luke.

He did! I don’t think that really has anything to do with anything

Feige and company have their own idea of what their storytelling universe is and don’t like giving up creative control— he seems miffed whenever it’s suggested that Sony’s nonSpidey films might “count”

Even if actors like Cox and Colter were used in those roles again, I think it would be like Simmons’s Jonah and be the same character without the previous history

But the shows were recent enough that I think they would just not use the characters for a while and cast new actors when they do. Better establishes that you can ignore the Netflix stuff for the purposes of Marvel Studios productions

I do suspect that Murdock could show up in She-Hulk, if only because one of the writers tweeted musings about him a couple times way back when they would have been writing

Jimothy on
  • mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    Yeah I took those rumors in the same way as the Far From Home casting of JJ Jameson - it is a win for everyone involved because the fans love the way the character is played, the actors seeming love playing them, and the studio thinks they’re great at it.

So they’d do it and never reference anything from past performances.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    I would love to see Mike Colter playing Cage alongside a competent take on Iron Fist

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Lanz wrote: »
    My understanding of the Daredevil rumors was they wanted Cox but it was because they liked his take, not that it’d carry Netflix marvel as canon

Basically they liked his performance and wanted him to continue, but it’d be a different continuity

I think keeping him and D'Onofrio would be a very good move yeah

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    How about Frank Castle? Marvel's recasted him plenty of times, so that'd be easy for them, but Jon's take was good from the little I've watched in Daredevil.

• JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Yeah the Punisher series was mostly meh but the guy was good they should keep him around

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Devlin_DragonusDevlin_Dragonus Gorgeous Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited September 2020
    I say keep, Frank Castle, Jessica Jones, Collen Wing, Elektra Natchios, Madam Gao, Killgrave, and Karen Pages's actors.
    Edit: And Nobu!

Devlin_Dragonus on
    I got nothing for you now. Try again later.

I do not see them bringing any of the Netflix cast forward

JK Simmons was literally the first and only experience of them doing it in over a decade of making movies and shows and it was a special case because he is such a bigger name actor than he was back in the Raimi flicks, delivered an iconic take, and Jonah is relatively small supporting character

Bringing back Charlie Cox as Daredevil or whatever but having it be a reboot otherwise would be unnecessarily confusing

CYpGAPn.png
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I would prefer just not having Punisher.

• DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    if they bring in any of the Netflix characters it should really just be as like, a cameo, you don't need to do weird shit to justify it, just...have Daredevil have a cameo if you want, you don't need to go through his whole backstory

• Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    in a stunning twist, only the sci-fi original movie version of man-thing will be making the jump to the mcu alongside jk's portrayal of jolly jonah

Rorshach Kringle on
    6vjsgrerts6r.png

Yeah but I also don't see Marvel using characters like Daredevil or Like Cage in a cameo capacity

They'll wait a while but those are Valuable Names

CYpGAPn.png
    Yeah but I also don't see Marvel using characters like Daredevil or Like Cage in a cameo capacity

They'll wait a while but those are Valuable Names

I guess what I'm running into right now, is how valuable are these names, really, compared to what they've got now?

Also: when they announced a new Daredevil series, and when they brought Spider-Man into the MCU, part of how they were selling those as worthwhile was that these were their versions of those characters, and they were going to do them right. It's harder for them to go, "well, we're going to bring in a new Daredevil!" when the Daredevil they already had has a fanbase and a relatively well-received series. "We're going to do Iron Fist, but we're going to do justice to the character (this time)" is a much rougher selling point.

I think that if they want to have, say, Matt Murdock show up in She-Hulk, they should just hire Charlie Cox and just not worry about if people watched the Netflix show. I know we had the comparison to bringing back JK Simmons as JJJ, but I don't think that's the right comparison, I think bringing in someone out of the Defenders is closer to when they just decided to bring back General Ross in Civil War and just assumed that people were going to figure out what his deal was even though they had to know that even most MCU stans didn't give a shit about their Hulk movie.

Also: I don't think they're especially eager to go back to Daredevil and Luke Cage and Jessica Jones any time soon. They've got a surplus of characters people want to see, and also Bucky. It's going to be a long time before I think they'd be worried about casting a new Daredevil. I don't think they're bringing back Charlie Cox, but I think it'd be a little bit of a waste to not use him if someone had the idea for it.

At the very least Luke Cage is absolutely a valuable name to them

He is probably the second biggest black man in the MU and got a huge following from the show

They aren't gonna let him sit around not being used

Iron Fist ain't getting used again, they have Shang-Chi

Jessica Jones is hard to make work outside of a hard R territory

Daredevil is a surprisingly big name for Marvel. There's a reason he was the figurehead of the Netflix shit and was the only one of that group of characters that had had a movie until Punisher and Elektra showed up. If they consider MOON KNIGHT worth doing, they absolutely consider Daredevil a valuable name.

CYpGAPn.png
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Maybe it has changed over the years since they have most of their shit now, but I wonder how the calculus on "valuable names" works when Avengers are their biggest money and before the MCU started they were B-listers who could barely even keep a series running

He is probably the second biggest black man in the MU and got a huge following from the show

Daredevil is a surprisingly big name for Marvel. There's a reason he was the figurehead of the Netflix shit and was the only one of that group of characters that had had a movie until Punisher and Elektra showed up. If they consider MOON KNIGHT worth doing, they absolutely consider Daredevil a valuable name.

I guess my point is, if Luke Cage has a huge following because of the show, wouldn't it make more sense to use the guy from the show rather than to wait until people have moved on enough from the show that you can use someone else?

Is Julia Carpenter Avengers or Spider?

though I guess if they hate jeph loeb so much that they want to ignore everything he worked on I can't say that I can't relate

DJ Eebs wrote: »

I guess my point is, if Luke Cage has a huge following because of the show, wouldn't it make more sense to use the guy from the show rather than to wait until people have moved on enough from the show that you can use someone else?
    I mean I would argue waiting a few more years is enough time and at minimum it would be, what, like 2023 with Covid Delays?

That would be 5 years after the show ended, absolutely enough time

CYpGAPn.png
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Is Julia Carpenter Avengers or Spider?

She's definitely been more associated with the Avengers

Maddoc wrote: »
    Maybe it has changed over the years since they have most of their shit now, but I wonder how the calculus on "valuable names" works when Avengers are their biggest money and before the MCU started they were B-listers who could barely even keep a series running
    It is less based on the comics and more the potential of the character/brand

Daredevil is a blind superhero lawyer

That's an endlessly compelling pitch

CYpGAPn.png
    please don't take mike colter away from his more important work: being a sexy priest fighting satan on smash hit television show, evil

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Isn’t Sony “in development” with a spider-woman show though?

Quire.jpg
  • Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    i just want a Squirrel Girl film or show :/

Oh you mean in regards to licensing, then the actual answer is nobody really knows because it's all crazy

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    i just want a Squirrel Girl film or show :/

RIP New Warriors.

• JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    I think anyone with Spider in the name automatically goes to Sony even if like, Drew isn’t much of a Spider character

But also yeah, who knows for sure at this point

Olivia Wilde is apparently directing a Spider-Woman flick for Sony and she implied in an interview that she’s been talking to Feige, but I kinda doubt it means anything like the Holland deal

• ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited September 2020

Another factor for bringing in a new actor for a familiar character is they can cast them for less money.

You want Mike Colter back? He's going to cost more than a newbie clamoring to be in the MCU.

Zonugal on
    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
    Zonugal wrote: »

Another factor for bringing in a new actor for a familiar character is they can cast them for less money.

You want Mike Colter back? He's going to cost more than a newbie clamoring to be in the MCU.

Eh, Benedict Cumberbatch wasn't exactly a fresh-faced unknown when they tapped him for Doctor Strange.

Zonugal wrote: »

I guess that depends on what kind of project the Luke Cage movie is going to be, because the leads of their two most recent solo debuts were Chadwick Boseman and Brie Larson, neither one of which I imagine came cheaper than Mike Colter would have

Jimothy wrote: »
    I think anyone with Spider in the name automatically goes to Sony even if like, Drew isn’t much of a Spider character

Olivia Wilde is apparently directing a Spider-Woman flick for Sony and she implied in an interview that she’s been talking to Feige, but I kinda doubt it means anything like the Holland deal

She technically never had Spider in her name, as far as I know.

Julia Carpenter?

She

She was Spider-Woman

CYpGAPn.png
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Jimothy wrote: »

She technically never had Spider in her name, as far as I know.

Jessica Drew debuted at the first Spider-Woman

Julie Carpenter debuted at the second Spider-Woman

Huh. I thought she was just Arachne

she was my spider-woman growing up

west coast avengers, best coast avengers

6vjsgrerts6r.png

This discussion has been closed.