As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Black Lives Matter Thread 6

• Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2020
    TryCatcher wrote: »
    Just playing some hoi4 and looking at the land masses I thought back to some geography teacher talking about how over represented the west is in maps looking bigger and more centres then they actually are

And yeah most games and maps show north america as like the same size as the rest of the world but the entire united States would ft inside the sahara desert

There's an actual reason for that:
    This distortion is because of something called the Mercator Projection. Historically, maps can be traced back to the ancient times when explorations took place by using the magnetic compass and Pole Star for navigation. While traditional maps made on flat surfaces gave apt information but gave inaccurate size of countries or places depending on their position relative to the equator.

Putting a 3D planet on a two-dimensional map was something of a challenge for early cartographers and so Dutch geographer and cartographer Gerardus Mercator came up with a solution. In 1569 he designed a map that could be accurately used for navigation purposes, but the downside was that his system distorted the size of objects depending on their position relative to the equator. Because of this, landmasses like Antarctica and Greenland appeared much larger than they actually are.

Like all abstraction layers, the point is to be useful first and accurate later.

https://youtu.be/vVX-PrBRtTY

Geography major here, I live for this scene.

i half love and half hate this scene, because like many other parts of West Wing, it gets kind of close to an actual point, but then completely undercuts itself. the facts as presented are accurate and meaningful, but then the show goes out of its way to make the outside group presenting the info seem like a bunch of outliers (nerds, in this case) and let the main characters (who we're supposed to relate to and admire) dismiss it and make it look silly. "i guess you have a point, but this is frivolous and doesn't actually matter" basically

and then the show goes on to lend validity and importance to Republican ideals that don't and didn't exist in reality, and haven't done anything at all to earn the good will that the show gives them

goddamn this show makes me so mad now

Houk the Namebringer on
  • RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Just playing some hoi4 and looking at the land masses I thought back to some geography teacher talking about how over represented the west is in maps looking bigger and more centres then they actually are

And yeah most games and maps show north america as like the same size as the rest of the world but the entire united States would ft inside the sahara desert

This distortion is because of something called the Mercator Projection. Historically, maps can be traced back to the ancient times when explorations took place by using the magnetic compass and Pole Star for navigation. While traditional maps made on flat surfaces gave apt information but gave inaccurate size of countries or places depending on their position relative to the equator.

Putting a 3D planet on a two-dimensional map was something of a challenge for early cartographers and so Dutch geographer and cartographer Gerardus Mercator came up with a solution. In 1569 he designed a map that could be accurately used for navigation purposes, but the downside was that his system distorted the size of objects depending on their position relative to the equator. Because of this, landmasses like Antarctica and Greenland appeared much larger than they actually are.

Like all abstraction layers, the point is to be useful first and accurate later.

i half love and half hate this scene, because like many other parts of West Wing, it gets kind of close to an actual point, but then completely undercuts itself. the facts as presented are accurate and meaningful, but then the show goes out of its way to make the outside group presenting the info seem like a bunch of outliers (nerds, in this case) and let the main characters (who we're supposed to relate to and admire) dismiss it and make it look silly. "i guess you have a point, but this is frivolous and doesn't actually matter" basically

and then the show goes on to lend validity and importance to Republican ideals that don't and didn't exist in reality, and haven't done anything at all to earn the good will that the show gives them

What ideals?

• Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2020

What ideals?

sorry, if it wasn't clear i was saying that the show gives Republicans ideals that real Republicans don't actually have (e.g. the whole plotline with John Goodman as president)

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    personally I think the Boggs Eumorphic projection is the way to go

What ideals?

sorry, if it wasn't clear i was saying that the show gives Republicans ideals that real Republicans don't actually have (e.g. the whole plotline with John Goodman as president)

Media is....at its core, as creative with reality as CSI is with science.

What ideals?

Media is....at its core, as creative with reality as CSI is with science.

i get that, but also you said you live for this scene. i was just pointing out how this scene falls into the same trap as so much other media

edited September 2020

RoyceSraphim on
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    personally I think the Boggs Eumorphic projection is the way to go

Give me Authagraph or give me death!

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Or okay I'll settle for Goode's Homolosine if I absolutely have to.

• MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    The NYPD had a training program to teach police how to de-escalate situations (especially with people in a mental health crisis) without violence. Last week it was abruptly cancelled with no warning or real explanation.

But we all know the reason: the cruelty is the point.

• Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Oh of fucking course he was shot by another cop.

• UrsusUrsus Registered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »

Aren't they all?

• AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »

At this point i'd be unsurprised if he shot himself.

• Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    a7eyku0hkylz.jpg

Meanwhile in England here's a thing that for sure happened.

Also the suspect is said to have shot themselves as well

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    I regularly contort my elbows to Garry's Mod angles, it is my form of yoga

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Also like they were obviously secured, how did the officer not find the concealed gun in the waistband? Guns are pretty chunky, even small concealed ones!

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • TefTef Registered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »

Every day I become more and more convinced that my US friends need to get plans in place to get the fuck out of there

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Tef wrote: »

Every day I become more and more convinced that my US friends need to get plans in place to get the fuck out of there

Haha. I'm disabled, so if they decide to come for my income for like austerity, I'm fucked no matter what, ain't no escape for someone with no marketable skills.

Haha. I'm disabled, so if they decide to come for my income for like austerity, I'm fucked no matter what, ain't no escape for someone with no marketable skills.

@uriel PM me if you like, I might be able to give you some ideas about options available to you.

If all else fails, and I mean this with total sincerity, you can always apply for asylum.

More generally for y’all, gonna put it this in spoilers because it’s grim. This is just me experiences and opinions from having friends and family working or living in failed states, and friends who’s parents sought asylum in Australia
    There is never a good time to leave. Literally every one I know said they wished they had made the call to get out while the going was still pretty good.

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular

The world don't want us, and rightly so.

Not true at all. US workers are highly regarded in blue collar and white collar spaces through Australia, New Zealand, Pacific Islands, and most South East Asian countries in my experience

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    Yeah but we're the plague capitol of the world right now so they have no incentive to welcome us into their conditionally open arms. We're walking liabilities.

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Honestly wish I could get out of here, but having no marketable skills makes that difficult

Always gonna regret that neither my parents or my grandparents ever applied for Irish citizenships, and so I'm one generation too far removed to get it.

Hacksaw wrote: »
    Yeah but we're the plague capitol of the world right now so they have no incentive to welcome us into their conditionally open arms. We're walking liabilities.
    Fair call, now is the time to start getting your ducks in a row!

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    My company's HQ is in Paris, and we have offices in Berlin and Toronto. Maybe I should see if the sales/marketing team need a customer care "assistant".

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    I'm a white collar office monkey who doesn't work in any kind of STEM jobs and has his entire career tied up with California's government. Chances of me being able to move to another country is somewhere between slim and none.

• CelloCello Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Having looked this up recently to advise someone else

Canada is allowing folks from the US in who get a study permit despite the border lockdown

If you can afford to go back to school/pick up a loan/find eligible scholarships, and pick a program that requires in-person workshops/labs/whatnot, you can move up here on a student visa, from which there are forms of bridging visas towards permanent residency

You won't get Canadian resident level tuition but many programs are comparable to low-level US trade school pricing, even at a Bachelor level

(I am not an immigration lawyer of course, consult the immigration.gc.ca site if you want to know more, etc)

Cello on
    Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Ya if anyone can actually escape I'll green card marry whoever to get you to Canada if needed. I'm not joking. I wish could somehow get all of you out.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    marriage being an easy shortcut to immigration is a greatly exaggerated myth, as I understand it in canada the government makes you prove you're not getting sham married to cheat the immigration process with an awful, invasive multi-year process.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Joke's on them, that's my fetish

• PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
  • Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    love how effectively meaningless this is outside of *maybe* getting him upset because people will call him a bad businessman.

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to. Philosophy: Stoicism. Politics: Democratic SocialistRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    love how effectively meaningless this is outside of *maybe* getting him upset because people will call him a bad businessman.

Depressing the voter turnout for his side will help downticket races.

Humor can be dissected as a frog can, but dies in the process.

Depressing the voter turnout for his side will help downticket races.

Thing is, his supporters will point to this as just more evidence of his genius.

"Too smart to pay taxes, ha ha!"

• H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    His supporters are just going to go on about how dodging his taxes shows how smart he is

FFXIV: Agran Trask
  • Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    also "fake news"

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
This discussion has been closed.