As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Arrow-Verse: DC on TV (and Legends of Tomorrow)

• SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    Well.... damn.

But I do have to wonder how they're going to handle the issue of regarding use of force in general.

So apparently Brandon Routh and his wife leaving the show wasn't their own decision. I guess the writers simply decided the characters had their arcs. So that's pretty surprising.

Also, how did we miss this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1-Isa_kS34

• jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    that's the exact sort of "special features" shit i love

give me a good gag reel, the actors just fucking around being human for a bit

• SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    edited September 2020
    So apparently Brandon Routh and his wife leaving the show wasn't their own decision. I guess the writers simply decided the characters had their arcs. So that's pretty surprising.
    This was all over the LoT subreddit at the time, with the silent other half of that statement being "Routh is the most expensive actor on the show at the moment, so it's time for him to exit stage-left."

Routh made it clear on social media that he was not happy about the decision.

Sorce on
    sig.gif
    It's pretty disappointing that the cast is now down to only two cast members who've been there since the beginning.

But also somewhat realistic, I guess.

• TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    I don't really care as long as I get more Constantine.

• skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Looks like season 6 of Supergirl is going to be the last

https://deadline.com/2020/09/supergirl-end-season-6-the-cw-melissa-benoist-1234582197/

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • jclastjclast Registered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »

Things sure are trending well for the Justice League they set up in Crisis, huh?

camo_sig2.png
  • lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    jclast wrote: »
    skeldare wrote: »

Things sure are trending well for the Justice League they set up in Crisis, huh?

It's a swerve as they'll have Justice League Dark instead.

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Well we know who's going to be doing the heroic sacrifice for the next crisis, anyway.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    The plots for Supergirl have been largely an incomprehensible mush the past couple seasons; frankly I'm not sad that they will be closing it down; hopefully this being the last season will light a fire to resolve it with some better writing.

As for Brandon Routh, while he was a great addition to the cast, his character didn't really have a lot to do except follow a female former villain around the past couple years. Maybe they can bring him back to play Alternate Superman again later.

I think that Supergirl had a really hard time recovering after the loss of Cat Grant. Instead of having a newspaper setting to keep the characters grounded, the story shifted towards the DEO and just became super generic.

Losing Maxwell Lord wasn't great either, bit Lex has been a decent replacement. Cryer definitely devours more scenery in the process though.

sig.gif
  • klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Yeah, how did they struggle on for four years?
    Blaming it on the loss of season one characters seems odd.
    Really, most of the arrowverse shows have had radically different first seasons. They've looked back on them, taken the bits that worked, and cut the things that didn't.

Arrow turned less casually bloodthirsty, Legends cut Savage and the Hawks, and Batwoman is getting a brand new Batwoman, so its first season is necessarily going to be the odd one out assuming it gets more than two

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
    Legends had a terrible season one. I think the George Lucas episode was the major turning point for the show.

Arrow's first season was based around following a list, so of choose that story line was going to end. it is disappointing they moved away from white collar crime commentary to standard superhero cliches, however.

Supergirl was initially walking a delicate balance between superheroics and humanity. She was a character who was a news working human first, who only learned to embrace her powers later on.

Catco dealt with problems that us regular humans can relate to, and problems we deal with in our own lives. It also kept the show light and fun, but that was probably impossible to maintain in the Trump administration. Hillary's 2016 campaign slogan was the same as supergirl's family symbol.

Having Jimmy Olson decide that he could do more good as a vigilante than as a news editor was an absolutely wrong decision that sent the wrong message.

• DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    edited September 2020

Having Jimmy Olson decide that he could do more good as a vigilante than as a news editor was an absolutely wrong decision that sent the wrong message.

While they absolutely did try to justify James's vigilante activity, eventually the show runners realized that it wasn't really working, and he quit.

Eventually. Like most stuff in Supergirl, it wasn't really thought out. Superhero nonsense at its most cliche.

Dracomicron on
    All the future editors had similar problems since they treated the media company as a side gig, rather than their main driving force.

klemming wrote: »
    Yeah, how did they struggle on for four years?
    Blaming it on the loss of season one characters seems odd.
    Really, most of the arrowverse shows have had radically different first seasons. They've looked back on them, taken the bits that worked, and cut the things that didn't.

Arrow turned less casually bloodthirsty, Legends cut Savage and the Hawks, and Batwoman is getting a brand new Batwoman, so its first season is necessarily going to be the odd one out assuming it gets more than two

Arrow's change felt natural though. The stories changes as Oliver did. The whole show was about him becoming a new and better person. Quitting murder was a step in the right direction there.

And while it was season 1 characters that didn't go from CBS to CW, I legitimately think that losing Calista Flockhart and taking the focus off of Kara was a huge blow for the show. One of the reasons that Superman works is because he's so fundamentally different from Batman. Superman fundamentally believes that he is Clark Kent and Superman is the mask whereas Batman fundamentally believes that he is Batman and Bruce Wayne is the mask. Kara fit in to a very similar mold as Clark in season 1. Her human problems felt real - Kara wasn't just who she was when she wasn't Supergirl. Supergirl was who she was when she couldn't be Kara.

If you want to see one that didn't change dramatically (I think) from season 1 to season 2, I'd point at Black Lightning. They hit the ground running with great characters who felt real and genuine and never stopped. I think it's also got the strongest first season of any of the CW DC shows (though Stargirl gives it a run for its money).

And Legends, strangely, had to ditch Arthur Darville before they could become DC Doctor Who. I think I'm an island though, in liking Rip Hunter, Vandal Savage, and Hawk Girl. While I agree that season 2 was their strongest I think they've gone too far toward silly now, and the most recent season wasn't great. Losing Masie Richardson-Sellers, Brandon Routh, and Courtney Ford did nothing to assuage my bad feelings about the rest of the season. Ray Palmer was the heart and soul of that team.

camo_sig2.png
    Meanwhile, Flash had the opposite problem. It had a formula that worked season one, and then presented us with that exact same formula in following seasons.

Maisie's departure was on her terms, at least.

And while we didn't lose Tala Ashe, a lot of fans are annoyed that Zari 2.0 exists at the cost of OG Zari.

sig.gif
    I'd love to see a version of Superman where the main focus is on an all powerful Superman realizing that he's completely powerless in the modern fake news society.

Unfortunately, I don't know how they could do this without either coming off as either completely hopeless or incredibly naive and inauthentic.

It's the same reason I'm dreading the new reboot of Leverage. They should have waited until after the election to start writing.

Also, Hancock. Once they explained that the character was immortal and had been famous for over a hundred years, I immediately wondered, "Wait, wouldn't that have had a major impact on the history of Jim Crow and WWII? Like he could have singlehandedly gone and defeated Hitler. Why aren't we talking about that in this movie? Why are we focusing on his love life?"

• ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    A speculative fiction movie starring Will Smith that purports to deconstruct the tropes of the genre but only opens up staggering holes in reality attempting to do so?

Unpossible. Now I'm gonna watch Bright.

• CatalaseCatalase Registered User regular
    While it might have been a natural progression, Arrow's evolution mostly made it more cookie cutter super-hero fodder TBH. Season 5 aside, it never quite reached the highs of season 2.
    Flash....yeah think you guys hit the nail on the head. Repeated their formula, poorly. Also, does Carlos Valdes even want to be there anymore?
    Legends...still the highest quality of the shows. Season 2 and 3 were the strongest IMO. And I miss old Zari.
    Supergirl never quite gelled for me, I have to say.

"Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination."
    Constantine needs to leave, though.

Like, I don't hate him or anything, but he's tended to dominate the story more and more lately.

sig.gif
    Sorce wrote: »

Like, I don't hate him or anything, but he's tended to dominate the story more and more lately.

They just need to revive his own show.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular

Legends absolutely became a magic based show instead of time travel focused, despite still having time travel stuff. It was a really weird switch, I'm not sure I am against it. It still makes for fun things.

Overall the arrowverse has a ton of ups and downs, but boy do I hate most of it except legends right now.

Do we have any word on upcoming shows? I know they are going to air a tv content/time edited season 1 of swamp thing, and maybe continue it (theres no freaking way they get that cast back in negotiations after 2 years, right?). Stargirl I havent watched yet, there was going to be a lois and superman show, right?

steam_sig.png
    Lois and Superman is still on track.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=610-DdrMsos

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA

Legends absolutely became a magic based show instead of time travel focused, despite still having time travel stuff. It was a really weird switch, I'm not sure I am against it. It still makes for fun things.

Overall the arrowverse has a ton of ups and downs, but boy do I hate most of it except legends right now.

Do we have any word on upcoming shows? I know they are going to air a tv content/time edited season 1 of swamp thing, and maybe continue it (theres no freaking way they get that cast back in negotiations after 2 years, right?). Stargirl I havent watched yet, there was going to be a lois and superman show, right?

If you have a way to watch it, Stargirl is really good. Very strong first season, and it's clear they were working with a higher budget for costumes and effects. The fight choreography is also good, and after him not showing up in the Legends JSA episodes, I was very excited to see STRIPE.

camo_sig2.png
    If you have a way to watch it, Stargirl is really good. Very strong first season, and it's clear they were working with a higher budget for costumes and effects. The fight choreography is also good, and after him not showing up in the Legends JSA episodes, I was very excited to see STRIPE.

Did he already die at the end of Gremlins?

Well, the budget is because it was a DC streaming show that went to network shortly after. I don't expect that level of investment to continue. I heard the choreography was good and I always really valued that stuff in Arrow. It's on my list to check out, thanks!

steam_sig.png
    Sportsmaster lowkey best character on Stargirl.

sig.gif
  • pezgenpezgen Registered User regular

I’ve watched all but two episodes of Stargirl in the past week, and I concur - it’s very good. They’ve built a really interesting world, and I’m looking forward to seeing where they take it.

• Devlin_DragonusDevlin_Dragonus Gorgeous Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    pezgen wrote: »

I’ve watched all but two episodes of Stargirl in the past week, and I concur - it’s very good. They’ve built a really interesting world, and I’m looking forward to seeing where they take it.

My favorite scene from the latter part of the season from Stargirl:

https://youtu.be/rWvpvlT9pJU

I got nothing for you now. Try again later.

• Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Hey guys! Not sure if you have watched the first season of Stargirl yet, but it is pretty fantastic and Luke Wilson is a treasure. Plus it's full of fun Justice Society stuff if you are a fan of them (I am).

But with that said, I have a free digital code for the first season free to the first person that wants it. Let me know and I'll pm you the code.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
    Finding this post on page 4 or so, did anyone watch Batwoman? It seemed unhinged and not good. Granted its a hard situation to deal with.

But
    why the fuck did they not know where the batmobile was? Did they ever look for it?

Also road cones chase in a backlot parking area was just bizarre? More bizarre that he couldnt catch a van in the batmobile. He is an escaped mental patient I suppose.

The father goes to confront Alice by himself? of course.

Taking a step back, so the new batwoman lives in a van down by the river. But she has past trauma from ~12 years earlier where Alice was an adult leader of a gang who killed her mother?

I kind of hate how everything in this show is set up.

steam_sig.png
    Gonna be weird that The Flash and Legends are probably the only shows that will be around after this upcoming season.

sig.gif
    edited January 2021
    Gonna be weird that The Flash and Legends are probably the only shows that will be around after this upcoming season.

They are going to air swamp thing heavily edited for time/content with an option to continue...... which getting a cast back 2 years later at much smaller budget sounds like a nightmare.
    Stargirl season 2 is coming as well. We will see how that goes I guess.
    Black lightning is ending with season 4, oooph. Looks like painkiller is getting a backdoor pilot though and might get a series?

Upcoming dc shows:
    Wondergirl (not wonderwoman)
    Naomi (some sort of multiverse project featuring yet another powered teenage girl series)
    Superman and Lois, a story about them raising 2 teenage boys. Sounds too much like black lightning and stargirl crossed.

I'm curious if they are just pushing for smallville/teen drama angle like they used to, or just seeking young talent to hold a franchise up for longer periods than the current set of content.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png

They are going to air swamp thing heavily edited for time/content with an option to continue...... which getting a cast back 2 years later at much smaller budget sounds like a nightmare.
    Stargirl season 2 is coming as well. We will see how that goes I guess.
    Black lightning is ending with season 4, oooph. Looks like painkiller is getting a backdoor pilot though and might get a series?

Upcoming dc shows:
    Wondergirl (not wonderwoman)
    Naomi (some sort of multiverse project featuring yet another powered teenage girl series)
    Superman and Lois, a story about them raising 2 teenage boys. Sounds too much like black lightning and stargirl crossed.

I'm curious if they are just pushing for smallville/teen drama angle like they used to, or just seeking young talent to hold a franchise up for longer periods than the current set of content.

Painkiller as a show concept doesn't make any sense to me. He makes for some decent stories in Black Lightning, but he's definitely not why I come to the show, and I don't think he could carry a season of television as the primary focus. I wonder if the actors want to be done or if they're just out of ideas for the Pierce family.

camo_sig2.png
    edited January 2021
    Flash is a show ive been watching out of habit, but which hasn't been interesting in a long time.

Schrodinger on
  • RhinocerousRhinocerous Registered User regular
    Finding this post on page 4 or so, did anyone watch Batwoman? It seemed unhinged and not good. Granted its a hard situation to deal with.

But
    why the fuck did they not know where the batmobile was? Did they ever look for it?

Also road cones chase in a backlot parking area was just bizarre? More bizarre that he couldnt catch a van in the batmobile. He is an escaped mental patient I suppose.

The father goes to confront Alice by himself? of course.

Taking a step back, so the new batwoman lives in a van down by the river. But she has past trauma from ~12 years earlier where Alice was an adult leader of a gang who killed her mother?

I kind of hate how everything in this show is set up.

I think I'm out. Shows are supposed to get better in season 2, not worse. Plot holes aside, the writing was obvious and the direction was hammy. I don't think I have the stamina for doubling down on pointing a big neon arrow at social issues. Not surprised Ruby Rose jumped ship.