As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Let's Talk About [2020 Elections] Like Grownups!

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    The GOP is the party that campaigned on JFK being "controlled by the pope"

it's blatant bullshit and people (here and in the media) really need to not carry water for this bullshit

• Options
    Martini_PhilosopherMartini_Philosopher Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    Also no, evangelicals do not think much of the Catholic Church and their tendency to do what looks to an American protestant very much like idol worship w/r/t Mary and the Saints.

I remember this being explained to me when I was younger. I just thought is was weird.

The other big difference is that the evangelicals believe that faith in Jesus is enough while Catholicism requires you to not simply believe but also demonstrate that faith with deeds. eg, Volunteering, charity, and general good deeds.

I have witnessed where this demonstration of following the tenets of their faith sticks in the craw of the evangelical faithful in the usual, hypocritical ways. It's also why, for the longest time, you saw Catholics as a solid Democratic bloc. Their faith demands a kinder world and thus, a kinder hand in governments. This all changed with the civil rights movement which divided the church in the same way it divided society. We are still reaping this wind.

Stupid GOP and their southern strategy making faith a pillar of contention for their racist ways.

All opinions are my own and in no way reflect that of my employer.
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    Also no, evangelicals do not think much of the Catholic Church and their tendency to do what looks to an American protestant very much like idol worship w/r/t Mary and the Saints.

I remember this being explained to me when I was younger. I just thought is was weird.

The other big difference is that the evangelicals believe that faith in Jesus is enough while Catholicism requires you to not simply believe but also demonstrate that faith with deeds. eg, Volunteering, charity, and general good deeds.

I have witnessed where this demonstration of following the tenets of their faith sticks in the craw of the evangelical faithful in the usual, hypocritical ways. It's also why, for the longest time, you saw Catholics as a solid Democratic bloc. Their faith demands a kinder world and thus, a kinder hand in governments. This all changed with the civil rights movement which divided the church in the same way it divided society. We are still reaping this wind.

Stupid GOP and their southern strategy making faith a pillar of contention for their racist ways.

Catholics vote about the same as the electorate as a whole. The rather large percentage of hispanic Catholics kind of obscures white Catholics becoming more Republican in general (like white people in general) but for the most part we are not really a discreet demographic anymore politically. Though running Biden might shift that, as a favourite son kind of thing.

And yes, faith without works is dead. James 2:26

• Options
    Martini_PhilosopherMartini_Philosopher Registered User regular
    moniker wrote: »

Catholics vote about the same as the electorate as a whole. The rather large percentage of hispanic Catholics kind of obscures white Catholics becoming more Republican in general (like white people in general) but for the most part we are not really a discreet demographic anymore politically. Though running Biden might shift that, as a favourite son kind of thing.

Interesting. This is not what I had seen or been taught in HS but I can chalk that up to that being nearly thirty years ago and demographics have been shifting all the time since...

All opinions are my own and in no way reflect that of my employer.
  • Options
    moniker wrote: »

Interesting. This is not what I had seen or been taught in HS but I can chalk that up to that being nearly thirty years ago and demographics have been shifting all the time since...

Catholics were a solidly Democratic voting block when anti-catholic sentiment was about as widespread as antisemitism. Which, bear in mind, the reason catholic schools and hospitals exist is basically the same reason HBCUs are a thing. They still are in places like Chicago or Boston, but that's mostly for the same reason everyone is a Democrat in Boston.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    White House going for the "if you want to know about our healthcare plan, you should come work for us" strategy of outreach

Trump doesn't want to release the details because he thinks he won't get credit for it when Biden steals it and implements it.

Same reason he gave for not releasing his super-sekrit plans to defeat ISIS. So, I figure his healthcare plan is to order congress to make one.

God dammit!
    With a potentially disastrous debate on this issue bearing down, it finally became necessary for the administration to stop promising the plan would come and produce … something.

And so they have. In a media call, the administration announced a two-prong plan, of sorts. Prong one declares, “It is the policy of the United States” to protect people who have preexisting conditions. Prong two is to promise to work with Congress to accomplish that goal. That is literally it.

Via LGM who got it from New York Magazine.

He's going to do it via Executive Order, of course. What a putz.

• Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    Oghulk wrote: »
    The GOP is the party that campaigned on JFK being "controlled by the pope"

it's blatant bullshit and people (here and in the media) really need to not carry water for this bullshit

Especially not when they are championing trump who is the most perfect antithesis of the phrase "christian values" possible without him engaging in human sacrifice.

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Trump's big healthcare plan is to promise to stop trying to sabotage it for a couple months.

I am pretty sure nobody is going to bite on this, when they didn't in 2018.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    Yeah, I doubt there are many fools that are going to fall for Trump's shit on healthcare. This is pretty much the same shit he has been doing for the past 4 years. Does everything to indicate that he will kill ACA if he can, while making promises that he and republican Congress critters will work out a replacement plan and that totes going to make sure pre-existing conditions will stay covered. Thing is insurance companies have been up to their fuckery forever now, so no one wants go with ACA repeal unless the repeal is done via another bill getting passed replacing it because they know the insurance will completely fuck people in the interim that have a pre-existing condition. In fact, I have to wonder if this might be one of the few areas, where even a majority of the conservative base wants to see the so-called replacement bill before they even want to consider ACA replacement. In that regards, it's pretty clear that Trump doesn't have a replacement in mind and has no intention of presenting one because the goal isn't better healthcare, it's to rip up one of Obama's biggest accomplishments out of racist spite. The fact that it'll harm millions of Americans doesn't matter to him because he is both a narcistic piece of shit and comes from a group of people that have no respect for anyone that isn't stinking rich and in fact gets off harming poor.

• Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    BREAKING: Joe Biden leads Pres. Trump nationally by 10 points among likely voters, new
    @ABC
    News/WaPo poll finds.
    https://t.co/9Dn8Hh9Qlb?amp=1

That's about the biggest gap in a couple decades in this late September ABC/WaPo poll (D+2,+2, D+9. R+6, Even, D+4, D+9)

On issues:

MostImportantIssue_v01_DP_1601069154998_hpEmbed_37x15_608.jpg

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    "Health care or the equal treatment of racial minorities"

What? Why in gods name are those two combined? Is it just to give racists a smokescreen?

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    10 points? Not bad.
    I hope that translates into actual votes, and that it's enough.

• Options
    Why is trump rated so high on crime and safety when he has so demonstrably failed at this?

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Gaddez wrote: »
    Why is trump rated so high on crime and safety when he has so demonstrably failed at this?

I think that's determining what percentage of people who said "This is my most important issue" are voting for Trump or Biden rather who they think is best suited to deal with it. People who think crime is the most important problem are more likely to vote for Trump, rather than people thinking Trump is more suited for lowering crime.

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular

Because people are resistant to change.

That Republicans rate highly on Crime, Military (sure, they spend, but they also involve the US in unecessary shit that gets people killed), or Economy, is just a result of PR spin, and intransigence.

• Options
    MillMill Registered User regular

I think that's determining what percentage of people who said "This is my most important issue" are voting for Trump or Biden rather who they think is best suited to deal with it. People who think crime is the most important problem are more likely to vote for Trump, rather than people thinking Trump is more suited for lowering crime.

That'd be my guess. Pollster ask those that met their criteria what their top concern(s) and who they felt would handle those best. Makes a ton of sense if respondents could only submit one issue. People that only care about money have been trying very hard to downplay the risks of Covid and get everything back to how it was, even if that means killing tons of people in the process to make it happen (I'm going to say killing because there is no need to sacrifice so many, sot he same oligarch pigs can further line their pockets). Similar deal with crime, the only people probably to think that is an end all be all, are probably the ones that falsely accuse every protester of being a rioter and think that antifa is some sort of organized group.

If not dying to Covid is someone's thing than it makes sense that the economy isn't the top concern. Likewise, if they care about racial equality, then crime isn't going to be a top concern. I'd actually be curious to see how many voters picked each of those five issues. I haven't checked the cross tab for this poll. I'd wager the third one might have gotten the most support since healthcare and race issues also intersect with the whole covid handling thing. Though will be interested if this was top three because I could see Trump voters mostly picking the economy, crime and the courts, while Biden voters picked mostly Covid response, healthcare, racial equality and the courts.

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    MorganV wrote: »

Because people are resistant to change.

That Republicans rate highly on Crime, Military (sure, they spend, but they also involve the US in unecessary shit that gets people killed), or Economy, is just a result of PR spin, and intransigence.

also a lot of Trump voters are racist and their definition of "reduce crime" is "have the police beat and shoot those marxists in the streets"

• Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited September 2020

He's shown willingness that when people rise up, he will put them down. Its the same thing with literally anything, they think they are in the in group, and wont be hindered by what is happening to the out group. They are good people, what they will eventually riot over will be for good, trump and police already protect militias that are showing up. Therefore thats law and order to them. Its not boots on their neck, its laying down the law.

It's the same way people dont understand if we get rid of church and state separation, its not going to be their very specific idea, or even vaguely broad idea of religion in charge. Its going to be fascism in the form of POTUS saying "god told me so, now do it. You aren't against god, are you? I'm president, god talks to me, you listen to me", and anyone slightly higher up on the rung than local people saying the same thing as an abuse of power for personal gain.

edit: its the whole tough guy attitude as well. When he meets with demonstribly horrible people, he says they're great. He isnt calling them risks or dangerous, "NK and Turkey leadership are cool dudes, I dont fear them at all!". And hes shown willingness to assassinate foreign military leaders. He's not afraid of Iran!

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    What stuns me is people still think he’s better than Biden on the economy. It’s just amazing how much work that successful business man persona has done for him. He has failed at every business he’s ever owned, and the economy is in shambles. The fact that wall street is doing well and billionaires are making bank off of the stock market should be an indictment of his stewardship, but somehow it’s a plus

Biden needs to focus on that whenever trump touts the economy as his strength

Not to mention it’s extra infuriating that Biden was the vp in the administration that handed trump a decent economy after they fixed it from the last republican. Back when vps actually did work in their administration

The fact that conservatives have the reputation of being better for the economy just shows how powerful constant propaganda and fear mongering if is

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Hulu's running one of Trump's economy ads and it's basically "Biden says he'll raise taxes" (plus video clip), then a bunch of out of context headlines about prices/costs going up, complete with a middle-aged blonde woman talking about how the economy was better than ever under Trump pre-covid, and he'll bring it back even stronger when he's re-elected.

sig.gif
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    It just drives me mad that they say “outside of Covid”, how you handle the economy during a crisis is part of the economy. He’s great on the economy if you ignore all the bad parts. It’s unfortunately an effective message in some areas because people don’t blame trump for the virus, even though his handling of it has 100% made things worse. And it’s also like, if the economy was so great, how come it was utterly unprepared for something like Covid? How come so many people can’t afford healthcare and homes? This idea that taxes are the be all and end all for economic wellness has just enthralled so many people in the US

It’s why an effective wedge to break this mindset is the healthcare angle, it’s the area where Biden is more trusted and popular, and it dovetails into the economy. It gets at the lived experience of people and makes trumps touting of the economy look out of touch

• Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    People who say either crime or the economy is the most important issue given the state of everything else wrong at the moment are obviously going to be Trump supporters.

It doesn't mean people overall think Trump is better on those issues, though who knows, people are fucking stupid.

Kamar on
  • Options
    OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    Addressing a crisis, whether it's external or purely economic i.e. 2008, is just about the only significant thing the President can do to affect the economy in the short term (i.e. during their tenure). That's what's so insane about it.

My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Prohass wrote: »
    What stuns me is people still think he’s better than Biden on the economy. It’s just amazing how much work that successful business man persona has done for him. He has failed at every business he’s ever owned, and the economy is in shambles. The fact that wall street is doing well and billionaires are making bank off of the stock market should be an indictment of his stewardship, but somehow it’s a plus

Biden needs to focus on that whenever trump touts the economy as his strength

Not to mention it’s extra infuriating that Biden was the vp in the administration that handed trump a decent economy after they fixed it from the last republican. Back when vps actually did work in their administration

The fact that conservatives have the reputation of being better for the economy just shows how powerful constant propaganda and fear mongering if is

That, like a lot of our problems, is in the media. Every news report that covers the "economy" reports on the stock market values, maybe the currency market and gold/oil prices.

They don't report job numbers, average wage, inflationary pressures, interest rates or anything else that pertains to the economy at most monthly, often no more than quarterly.

So it's not unreasonable that "normal people" see the economy only through the lens of the stock market reports. It's wrong, but understandable.

• Options
    While there was basically no way the US wasn't going to take it on the economic chin with Covid, the fact remains that the US is lagging behind basically everyone else in the developed world for getting the virus under control (to put it mildly) and until it can the simple fact is that the country can't operate at peak efficiency due to the realities of social distancing and PPE mandates. And while trump might want to ignore the virus and pretend it's no longer a problem, the fact is that the virus will continue to spread and infect people, leading to over saturated hospitals,more shut downs/restrictions, more stupid anti-reality protests (which will act as super spreaders) and more deaths, all of which will be like a pair of cement shoes for the nation's economy.

Ironically, this would be the time when the great and mighty wealth creators should be stepping up to the plate. This is the time when they should be pooling resources, looking for ways to combat the virus, provide protection and medical care for their employees. Hell, whole new cottage industries could be set up to provide services to people in this unique circumstances; a printing press for custom masks in bulk would be an easy way to make money and provide people with opportunities for self expression or simple branding for their company or a product.

But of course this would require reaganomics to actually work or for the wealthy to actually give a shit about the state of the counrty.

• Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Kamar wrote: »
    People who say either crime or the economy is the most important issue given the state of everything else wrong at the moment are obviously going to be Trump supporters.

It doesn't mean people overall think Trump is better on those issues, though who knows, people are fucking stupid.

I remember seeing an interview with some voters in the Midwest in ~2018. One of them, in a pretty clearly impoverished town, said, "the economy seems to be doing pretty well, so if it stays this way I'll probably vote for Trump again." It blew my mind more than it should have. People will absolutely see what the DJIA or S&P is doing on the news and think "wow, things must be doing well," when they (and many of their friends) are having a hard time paying bills.

That said, I also don't want to assume that just because they have it hard, it wasn't worse before. Maybe it speaks to just how far people have been left behind.

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Over 200,000 workers/consumers have died in the last six months. Thousands of businesses lost.

But economy are great!

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    I personally can't wait for the Pubs to blame Dems (and Biden if he wins) on the tax hikes from that 1.5T cut Trump signed a year or so ago.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »
    Over 200,000 workers/consumers have died in the last six months. Thousands of businesses lost.

But economy are great!

Okay. But we flattened the curve!

• Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Dwayne Johnson has endorsed Biden/Harris, which is neat but will raise very few eyebrows.

Absalon on
  • Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Absalon wrote: »
    Dwayne Johnson has endorsed Biden/Harris, which is neat but will raise very few eyebrows.

That’s because the Rock only needs one eyebrow raised to send a message.

ziqyvd2rc62w.gif

Mild Confusion on
    steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    The Rock is a Republican but a more moderate one so his endorsement is kinda expected but not automatic

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    2. Biden leads Trump in both battleground states among likely voters

MI
    Biden 52%, Trump 44% (Among RVs, Biden 52%, Trump 43%)

WI
    Biden 54%, Trump 44% (Among RVs, Biden 52%, Trump 44%)
    Here is our writeup of the new NBC/Marist polls of MI and WI -- plus PDFs of the actual polls https://t.co/snUigBzJAq

And nationally another similar result to the ABC/WaPo from Siena/NYT

Biden leads Trump 49 to 41 percent nationwide, according to a new New York Times/Siena College poll
    https://t.co/D14kMFXrnw

Setting the predebate narrative of Biden clearly leading in the high single digits and semi firmly in the upper Midwest

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    The nationalization of the local races continues apace - the new anti-Bullock ads are not just nationalizing the race, but trying to create a message against things like removing the filibuster while not explicitly saying so.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    PantsB wrote: »
    The Rock is a Republican but a more moderate one so his endorsement is kinda expected but not automatic

No kidding?

I don’t really follow actors political leanings, I just wanted to do a People’s Eyebrow joke.

I highly doubt it’s gonna change anyone’s mind though, nobody really cares what famous people think.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    Doc wrote: »
    Kamar wrote: »

I remember seeing an interview with some voters in the Midwest in ~2018. One of them, in a pretty clearly impoverished town, said, "the economy seems to be doing pretty well, so if it stays this way I'll probably vote for Trump again." It blew my mind more than it should have. People will absolutely see what the DJIA or S&P is doing on the news and think "wow, things must be doing well," when they (and many of their friends) are having a hard time paying bills.

That said, I also don't want to assume that just because they have it hard, it wasn't worse before. Maybe it speaks to just how far people have been left behind.

For me the more frustrating part is the idea that anything changed in 2016 rather than trendlines just continued to trend. With them actually softening somewhat after the chicken scratch tax bill. It was the Obama economic expansion, Trump had nothing to do with it.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited September 2020

It's just people taking signaling from the campaigns. That's not on "crime and safety Trump has an 80% rating." It's "among those who chose crime and safety as their most important topic who are they voting for?"

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Yeah the SCOTUS fight is not changing things it seems. Biden best be ready to shoot down a dozen or so made-up accusations of past and intended atrocities at the debate because Trump is running out of straws to grasp.

Absalon on
  • Options
    zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    +2 for Biden / Harris here in Michigan.

Running over to the township clerk's office in a few to stick them in the drop box.

• Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    I would suggest that the vast majority of people in America more worried about crime than anything else on that list probably think of 'fixing crime' and 'putting minorities under the boot' as synonyms.

Kamar on
This discussion has been closed.