As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

That is not [bad food] which does eternal lie, and in strange youtubes, even food may die

• GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    D:

• LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    This is why Eraserhead was in black and white.

• PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    Platy wrote: »
    I heard it's actually meant to taste like a Gros Michel banana which was the main cultivar until the 1950s

not true

it just coincidentally tastes like them because they have a sweeter less complex flavor than the cavendish

https://io9.gizmodo.com/debunking-the-myth-of-the-fake-banana-flavor-1629459201

I mean it seems not like a coincidence if they tried to make artificial banana flavor and it happened to taste like the main cultivar at the time

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Dinner tonight is black bean, sweet potato and spinach quesadillas. Although I've found I like them better cooked open faced like bar pizza, so the cheese gets nice and bubbly. Since I'm using leftover filling, the prep is literally just smearing some goop on a tortilla, shredding cheese over it, and putting it under the broiler for four minutes. I'm in such a lazy mood that I will give any one of you five dollars if you do that for me, cut it into triangles, and bring it directly to my computer desk.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    I like lazy meals.

I did slow-cooker curry tonight with chicken thighs and split peas, plus veggies and curry paste.

The only dinner-time prep is to make some rice and throw some brown sugar and spinach into the cauldron.

• Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    *sniffs, makes a face*

I think this thread's a bit past its expiration date...

• GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Naw, this thread is a banana, it steadily gets better until suddenly it's terrible.

• SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    That's disturbing.

sig.gif
  • DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    What, no! Those are the BEST kinds of pepperoni! They get all crispy and are way spicier than the typical stuff, it's awesome

• NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Didgeridoo wrote: »
    What, no! Those are the BEST kinds of pepperoni! They get all crispy and are way spicier than the typical stuff, it's awesome

Just as long as they don't trap in a lake of molten grease

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Cups are fine, but there's just something kind of off about this one to me.

sig.gif
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    I heard it's actually meant to taste like a Gros Michel banana which was the main cultivar until the 1950s

not true

it just coincidentally tastes like them because they have a sweeter less complex flavor than the cavendish

https://io9.gizmodo.com/debunking-the-myth-of-the-fake-banana-flavor-1629459201

I mean it seems not like a coincidence if they tried to make artificial banana flavor and it happened to taste like the main cultivar at the time

In this case it seems more like a coincidence that the main cultivar at the time aligned so strongly with the chemical used.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular

Usually they're smaller though. In fact hormel sells pepperoni specifically for that effect

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Peen wrote: »
    Fennel the vegetable is delicious and goes well with a great many things, says I.

Fennel salsiccia is great

• V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Peas wrote: »
    o8qb4n7i8oow.jpg

mmm, acnelicious!

• KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Peas wrote: »
    o8qb4n7i8oow.jpg

In 2020, David Cronenberg returns with Pizza!

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I made pizza dough just now myself

Gonna give it overnight in the fridge before making it.

I actually wish I had those good pepperoni. Instead I've got kroger brand generic ones.

• PeasPeas Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    How We Figured Out Fermentation 9:52
    https://youtu.be/-ntbeRiQ0cg
    Thanks to a recent adaptation, instead of getting sick from the boozy, fermented fruits, one of our primate ancestors could digest them safely, and get more calories at the same time. This new superpower would open up a whole new nutritional landscape for us: fermented foods.

Peas on
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    I have discovered that our favorite Thai joint also makes great larb. Dangerous discovery!

In related news, I am full of spicy meat salad.

• Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    I don't think I do want to try that!

• OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    I'm quite sure I'm happier not winning that contest

Hmm, no. No thanks. Some components of pumpkin spice are probably fine in mac and cheese (nutmeg).

But I have no faith in mass produced tier stuff using good spices and not overloading it.

• PeasPeas Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Best Desserts In Every State | 50 State Favorites 9:45
    https://youtu.be/tbu3Uqa9s1A

Apparently there is a lot of comments complaining how wrong the list is so I thought I might as well post it in here

Someone made a timestamp too:
    0:11 Alabama
    0:22 Alaska
    0:35 Arizona
    0:47 Arkansas
    0:57 California
    1:07 Colorado
    1:14 Connecticut
    1:21 Delaware
    1:32 Florida
    1:40 Georgia
    1:47 Hawaii
    1:57 Idaho
    2:12 Illinois
    2:28 Indiana
    2:42 Iowa
    2:53 Kansas
    3:09 Kentucky
    3:20 Louisiana
    3:31 Maine
    3:46 Maryland
    3:57 Massachusetts
    4:07 Michigan
    4:18 Minnesota
    4:27 Mississippi
    4:38 Missouri
    4:44 Montana
    4:59 Nebraska
    5:13 Nevada
    5:27 new Hampshire
    5:38 New jersey
    5:53 New Mexico
    6:07 New York
    6:20 North Carolina
    6:31 North Dakota
    6:42 Ohio
    6:51 Oklahoma
    7:02 Oregon
    7:12 Pennsylvania
    7:21 Rhode Island
    7:31 South Carolina
    7:40 South Dakota
    7:51 Tennessee
    8:04 Texas
    8:14 Utah
    8:23 Vermont
    8:32 Virginia
    8:42 Washington
    8:53 West Virginia
    9:04 Wisconsin
    9:13 Wyoming
    9:27 Washington DC
    9:35 Puerto Rico

Peas on
  • Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Oregon marionberry pie is right, though.

So many of those are just cop-outs to generic desserts.

Oregon marionberry pie is right, though.

Great player. Really knew the game. Shame about his knee

New Mexico is objectively correct. Freshly-baked bizkochitos are the best cookies around. (The secret is lard.)

I'm not quite sure how Oklahoma got credit for fried pies, but I'll take it, they're also awesome.

GDdCWMm.jpg
    Grating a frozen block of mozz is cold on the hand

Uriel wrote: »

A Food processor with a cheese grater blade it a godsend

Uriel wrote: »

A Food processor with a cheese grater blade it a godsend

Wish I had one but my food processor is just an attachment for my blender and only has the one blade

After two years of allergy shots, I got cocky and had raw spinach on my turkey sandwiches I packed for lunch this week. Ended up triggering a histamine response in my guts the likes of which I haven't experienced since the last time I ate avocado. Much cramping and intestinal rebellion has ensued.

I miss vegetables that haven't been thoroughly denatured.

GDdCWMm.jpg
    edited September 2020
    You can get histamine reactions in your gut? That sounds like hell

I wonder if I have any food allergies. I think I am lactose intolerant but only marginally as not all dairy affects me the same.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Are you allergic to raw vegetables Jedoc? That is terrible.

• el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Man, homemade mayo is a deadly trap

I want to dive into that stuff

e: this is the recipe I used, but I used actual MSG instead of the dashi combo:
    https://www.justonecookbook.com/japanese-mayonnaise/

el_vicio on
    ouxsemmi8rm9.png

edited September 2020
    Are you allergic to raw vegetables Jedoc? That is terrible.

Most of them! Pollen allergies can cause oral allergy syndrome, where your body reacts to surface proteins of certain plants as though they were the pollen in question. Nothing like as severe as a true food allergy, there's basically no chance of me ever going into anaphylactic shock or anything. Usually they just cause an itchy mouth and tight throat, but repeated exposure over a period of months increases the reaction.

Some foods, like raw carrots or potatoes, can cause acute redness and burning in my eyes within minutes of consumption, and if the histamine reaction occurs in the gut the effect is like time-delayed food poisoning. Last time I had avocado I spent eight hours dry heaving every fifteen minutes.

Generally folks only react to a handful of foods based on the specific pollen they're allergic to, but given the strength and breadth of my pollen allergies, I'm susceptible to almost all raw vegetables and most raw fruits.

The frustrating thing is that it generally doesn't crop up until your early twenties, so I know what I'm missing. The good news is that the proteins in question denature readily with heat, so spinach sauteed to the point where it still has a bit of crunch is completely safe. And the allergy shots protect me against incidental exposure, so I can theoretically eat a burrito with guacamole with no symptoms as long as I don't try to do it more than a couple times a year. It just can't be part of my regular diet, as I have just now proven. I might need to start a spreadsheet to keep track of what I'm due to indulge in.

Ah, well. I hold out hope that science will find some way to cure me with lasers or something one of these days, and until then I'll just keep roasting and boiling everything. Could be worse.

Edit: also, if anyone reads this post and realizes that they might have the same thing, I advise taking Benadryl when you first experience the tongue burning and again twelve hours later. You'll be sleepy, but you'll dodge the worst case scenario of Total Intestinal Maelstrom.

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
    I'm only allergic to box elder tree pollen I think

Unlucky for me those things are all over the place.

Good news is its much more mild than my outdoor mold and dust mite allergies.

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Based on how much of the year I spend sneezing I think I'm allergic to a lot of pollens. Thankfully I am already an old person so hopefully I've dodged that bullet.

I will eat a salad in your honour.

This discussion has been closed.