As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Trailers: A Brief History

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    -Loki- wrote: »
    Wanda is going to be in the next Doctor Strange movie, the Multiverse of Madness. Also that show ties into the film.

If they were going to use Wanda to bring Mutants to the MCU, that’s the place they’ll do it, though there might be some set up in WandaVision.

Wanda accidentally bringing mutants into existence while doing a simple training exercise with Doctor Strange may be the only way I'd accept mutants in the MCU without being annoyed.

Strange is catching the news after training one day, then calls Wanda in.
    "Go put a dollar in the jar."
    "What? What for?"
    "Just... go do it."
    Wanda goes into the kitchen and puts a dollar in the jar labelled "I accidentally imbued something with powers via mystical mistake". The jar is overflowing with money.
    Wanda goes back to Strange and he just points at the TV, which is showing a variety of clips of people flying, running around throwing fire, flipping cars, and shooting eye lasers. All the clips are from the last 24 hours. Also, the TV is floating.
    "HOW IS THAT MY FAULT, YOU SAID I WASN'T TRYING HARD ENOUGH."

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    So Trailers...

Here is a trailer for Aaron Sorkin's next film:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVb6EdKDBfU&ab_channel=Netflix

It should be good, it doesn't have an female characters in it and only one black guy.

Also that is Eddie Redmayne in the beginning, but I think they dubbed his line cause that US accent...

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    Also a trailer for the Barbarians:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mBnYJcZJ-A&ab_channel=Netflix

Don't know how historically accurate it is though. None of the Romans are speaking English! Seems like a fuckup not to have them speak the Queen's Latin.

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    kaidkaid Registered User regular
    The Inhumans aren't really mutants anyway, they're born powerless and huff space farts to get abilities. No X gene there.

Inhumans have to have some alien legacy to be activated by terrigen. Pure humans just die when exposed.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Humans aren't affected by Terrigen, far as I know. Agents of Shield added that Diviner mcguffin that kills humans, and some bad guy Inhumans melted it down into Terrigen crystals that would either kill or turn ya, but outside of that Terrigen is safe.

Also Mutants get their powers amped up by it too, IIRC?

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Humans aren't affected by Terrigen, far as I know. Agents of Shield added that Diviner mcguffin that kills humans, and some bad guy Inhumans melted it down into Terrigen crystals that would either kill or turn ya, but outside of that Terrigen is safe.

Also Mutants get their powers amped up by it too, IIRC?

Last time we saw terrigen, it killed mutants, was going to exterminate all mutants on the planet, and that whole thing was real dumb.

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Kipling217 wrote: »

Don't know how historically accurate it is though. None of the Romans are speaking English! Seems like a fuckup not to have them speak the Queen's Latin.

yeah it's automatically fluff action, the baseline historical accuracy requires the romans to speak british accented english like they really did, with more pomp the higher their social class

slaves and gladiators should have cockney accents, but having them have an Irish accent as per that one slave in HBO's rome is acceptable

override367 on
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    I strongly doubt they would do something as world-changing as introducing mutants through a Disney+ show. If only because it robs them of a major milestone they can use to hype a blockbuster, billion-dollar film.

They did it with inhumans, though that has not yet reached mainstream yet, just the TV side.

The Inhumans were always a pet project for Ike Perlmutter, who thought they were "his" version of the X-Men, which he constantly worked to downplay because Marvel sold the rights to the IP and weren't making money from it.

He tried to get a movie made, and when that didn't work because Feige put his foot down, he made the show instead. It was a power play against both Fox and Feige that failed miserably.

It's also worth noting that by then the shows were well-established as operating on a one-way street in relation to the larger MCU. The things in the films impacted the shows, but the opposite wasn't true - nothing the shows do in the MCU are considered canonical to the films.

• Options
    TenzytileTenzytile Registered User regular
    I'm not usually too crazy about omnibus films, but this could be something nice:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYQUepNnpmA

It's a collaborative work by a who's-who of Hong Kong filmmakers, each presenting a segment about the city in each decade from the 60's to the prospective 2020's. Kung Fu legends like Sammo Hung and Yuen Woo-Ping, action directors like Tsui Hark and Johnnie To, and art filmmakers like Patrick Tam and Ann Hui. Apparently John Woo had to withdraw from the project as it was filming due to health reasons which is a shame. A further shame is that Ringo Lam, who's responsible for one of the segments, died during production.

I guess this project inspires some sense of wistfulness, both in the story of its production, and in its subject: the history of a storied, important part of East Asia facing an uncertain future.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    I strongly doubt they would do something as world-changing as introducing mutants through a Disney+ show. If only because it robs them of a major milestone they can use to hype a blockbuster, billion-dollar film.

They did it with inhumans, though that has not yet reached mainstream yet, just the TV side.

The Inhumans were always a pet project for Ike Perlmutter, who thought they were "his" version of the X-Men, which he constantly worked to downplay because Marvel sold the rights to the IP and weren't making money from it.

He tried to get a movie made, and when that didn't work because Feige put his foot down, he made the show instead. It was a power play against both Fox and Feige that failed miserably.

It's also worth noting that by then the shows were well-established as operating on a one-way street in relation to the larger MCU. The things in the films impacted the shows, but the opposite wasn't true - nothing the shows do in the MCU are considered canonical to the films.

... Look, I always had a thing for Medusa and Mystique growing up. And as the movie Mystique never really appealed to me, that left me with Medusa. And I lament the butcher job she got. :(

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Helstrom. A Hulu series that they don't want people to know is actually a Marvel series

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKeugS4qjag

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Truthseekers. Simon Pegg and Nick Frost.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yg8b-ZIQ4e8&feature=emb_title

Hells yes.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »

Hells yes.

This looks really fun.

I could do with a nice comedy about now.

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    Kipling217 wrote: »

Wait are they speaking in German? This Teutonic slap in the face...

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    Simon Pegg’s hair-piece? Wig? Muppet? Is really weirding me out in that trailer.

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    AkimboEGAkimboEG Mr. Fancypants Wears very fine pants indeedRegistered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »

Hells yes.

That very much looks like Pegg and Frost decided to make a Doctor Who. I'm in

Give me a kiss to build a dream on; And my imagination will thrive upon that kiss; Sweetheart, I ask no more than this; A kiss to build a dream on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I can't tell if it's offensive that he has one line in the entire trailer, or funny.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I enjoy they got Malcolm Mcodowell to play Nick Frost's dad, a casting that actually makes sense age wise. And I love me some Malcolm Mcdowell.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Resident Evil: Infinite Darkness

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56_gTT-O7Nw

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Interesting teaser... Why does it feel like they can never get Claire's face right? Like in any of the versions since RE2's original CGI, it's always felt off.

• Options
    TenzytileTenzytile Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Minari has a trailer, the latest A24 awards hopeful which set Sundance on fire earlier this year:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQ0gFidlro8

Tenzytile on
  • Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    I think I've grown out of Borat maybe? I didn't laugh much at the trailer.

But then again, watching Borat interacting with Pence might be worth it.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Yes a new Borat movie this is what absolutely no one wanted.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »

Things absolutely no one wanted you say?

I raise you "Dr Seuss Cinematic Universe, brought to you with the help of JJ Abrams"
    https://io9.gizmodo.com/j-j-abrams-will-produce-oh-the-places-you-ll-go-as-p-1845241981

• Options
    shryke wrote: »

I raise you "Dr Seuss Cinematic Universe, brought to you with the help of JJ Abrams"
    https://io9.gizmodo.com/j-j-abrams-will-produce-oh-the-places-you-ll-go-as-p-1845241981

Shryke why do you hurt me?

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular

What does a mystery box look like in a Dr. Seuss story?

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

Shryke why do you hurt me?

Because no one should suffer alone.

• Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    Tomanta wrote: »

Wondering why you're watching it?

No satisfactory answer will be given

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Tomanta wrote: »

It is neither here nor there...
    The answer's not written anywhere!
    You'll keep searching, low and high...
    But a compelling, well thought out answer doesn't exist, so forget it.

• Options
    NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Trajan45 wrote: »

I like it. I grinned all throughout it.

Do remember, I have terrible taste.

Nobeard on
  • Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    Didn't know they were making another one. You'd think that interrupting Mike Pence dressed as Trump would have caused the news to at least mention the movie. Kind of impressed with the secrecy of it all in this day and age.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    And yet we still have no Kung Pow 2. The world is truly unfair.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Nobeard wrote: »
    Trajan45 wrote: »

I like it. I grinned all throughout it.

Do remember, I have terrible taste.

Yeah I had to stop myself from laughing in the middle of the office.

But I too have terrible taste.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    I feel like somebody would have to explain to me why what he does is supposed to be funny, inherently killing any of the humor I'm not getting anyway. Most of the time he's just bullshitting people who are trying to deal with a random person intentionally acting like an idiot and not letting them in on the joke. So he's being an asshole by actually being an asshole, but not an actually funny asshole. Half the time I'm just feeling bad for the people trying to honestly deal with his crap and he's just blatantly abusing their civility for a bad joke.

I get there's a bunch of satire of American bullshit in there... but so what? I already know all that crap, how is that funny? Republicans hate Democrats more than a deadly virus! What astonishing and hilarious news. Forty years ago.

He goes after fruit hanging so low you need a shovel to find it.

• Options
    Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Smaug6Smaug6 Registered User regular
    I feel like somebody would have to explain to me why what he does is supposed to be funny, inherently killing any of the humor I'm not getting anyway. Most of the time he's just bullshitting people who are trying to deal with a random person intentionally acting like an idiot and not letting them in on the joke. So he's being an asshole by actually being an asshole, but not an actually funny asshole. Half the time I'm just feeling bad for the people trying to honestly deal with his crap and he's just blatantly abusing their civility for a bad joke.

I get there's a bunch of satire of American bullshit in there... but so what? I already know all that crap, how is that funny? Republicans hate Democrats more than a deadly virus! What astonishing and hilarious news. Forty years ago.

He goes after fruit hanging so low you need a shovel to find it.

Yeah the first felt subversive putting lie to American politeness, this feels like him just beating a dead horse.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    -
    skeldare wrote: »

"Hello little boy, do you want to know how I got these scars?"

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    That casting for the Witches is interesting from a "use an old story to say something new" perspective.

Probably won't aftually say it, but still.

• Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7ktU4WRfzM

Most important documentary you'll see this year.

pleasepaypreacher.net
This discussion has been closed.