As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Quit your [job] thread

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    I feel like snooker is the kind of game that australians would enjoy for a sedate evening's watch at the pub, is all

The satisfying clack, chunk of potting whatever ball with a great shot, the quiet appreciation of some fine skill, bit like cricket.

• TefTef Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Solar wrote: »
    Is snooker a thing in Australia?

Nah it’s all pool, at least where I’m from.
    Solar wrote: »
    I feel like snooker is the kind of game that australians would enjoy for a sedate evening's watch at the pub, is all

The satisfying clack, chunk of potting whatever ball with a great shot, the quiet appreciation of some fine skill, bit like cricket.

Pool and darts are a fixture in any classic Aussie pub. Not so much in the more modern gastro pubs

Tef on
    help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Snooker is a crazy game, any snooker player I've ever met just absolutely wrecks at billiards. Like full on messing with people on the table. There was one I knew back in college that would consistently make freshman feel like good pool players because he'd let you clear most of your rack before he'd just run the table on you. He was eventually barred from the tournaments on campus because he won every single one we had and people stopped signing up cause he was a damn near professional grade hustler and there were maybe three or four people on campus he'd play straight up cause they actually had a credible chance to beat him if he didn't bring his A game from the start.

• JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    The only real regional english slang which fascinates and confuses me is cockney rhyming slang. Because I think the confusion is the point.

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Attention shady online-only charter schools: if you are unable to provide instruction without relying on public library computers for longer than an hour per day, it kinda seems like you're just soaking up public education funds without actually using those funds to provide a learning environment for your students.

In any case, no, we will not be compromising our safety protocols on your behalf. Thanks for telling your teachers we would without asking us, though.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Subordinate does good work but so broken by society that they 'neg themselves constantly.

Impossible to praise, difficult to correct and discipline.

Good worker but requires kid gloves. Had to go therapist on them for minor equipment issue

• BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    I'm shocked.

Edit: this was about the charter school post.

BlazeFire on
  • MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    Attention shady online-only charter schools: if you are unable to provide instruction without relying on public library computers for longer than an hour per day, it kinda seems like you're just soaking up public education funds without actually using those funds to provide a learning environment for your students.

In any case, no, we will not be compromising our safety protocols on your behalf. Thanks for telling your teachers we would without asking us, though.

Sucking up education funds without actually using them is what charter schools are all about. That and fighting against being regulated in any way.

• stopgapstopgap Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »

Sucking up education funds without actually using them is what charter schools are all about. That and fighting against being regulated in any way.

Part of what makes charter schools fun is that some don't suck just to make things more complicated. The one my daughter attends rocks but it made me and my wife guilty to even think about having her attend it at first. (Wife went to school to become a public high school English teacher so when I say we were conflicted I mean it).

steam_sig.png
  • N1tSt4lkerN1tSt4lker Registered User regular
    stopgap wrote: »
    Madican wrote: »

Part of what makes charter schools fun is that some don't suck just to make things more complicated. The one my daughter attends rocks but it made me and my wife guilty to even think about having her attend it at first. (Wife went to school to become a public high school English teacher so when I say we were conflicted I mean it).

This is true. That is part of the problem writ large across the Orleans Parish school district since after Katrina the only way for the system to survive was to allow the majority of schools to become charters. And some are very good. But the ultimate issue here is that weird egotism of only putting money into the system if you get your own school to mod. And, honestly, it’s only worked there at all because the schools are all accountable in the same way that non-charter public schools are. While I would prefer no charters at all, I have far less ire for charters when they are regulated and accountable to the same system and teachers rights and pay as workers are enforced.

I also just would really like the mythology around charter schools to die. Yes, some are very good. But charter schools aren’t inherently better just because they’re charter school, which is sure a thing a lot of people believe.

• mightyjongyomightyjongyo Sour Crrm East Bay, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    okay well i didnt expect this to happen but i can't stop singing postman pat in my head now

• GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    As God intended.

• DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    Narbus wrote: »
    DrZiplock wrote: »
    David_T wrote: »
    I mean, if we're just collecting a list of countries where people think Bucketmans coworker is a dick, add Denmark to it.

Bonus point if the final list is printed on a roll of paper so Bucketman can get a proper unfurling on when he presents it. "People from the following countries..."

giphy.gif

It's bugging the hell out of me that the scroll apparently flips between Jafar and the Sultan.

Oh no now that's all I can see. :bigfrown:

I needed to pass this curse on. My condolences.

• sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Juggernut wrote: »
    No word should have more than three syllables.

Sounds like you’re interested in learning Chinese!

• Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    It is now almost 4:30 in the morning on a Sunday, approximately 12 hours before I leave for my next shift and I am incredulous (again) at the brazen bullshit displayed by my coworker and the total lack of leadership and necessary discipline shown by my GM and KM.

Coworker called out sick on Thursday, thought he was covid-positive, called out this morning, got tested, showed up on this evening's (Saturday's) shift to pay for beers and shots, eat for free and enjoy tonight's semi-pro UFC match for free as well.

He is a fucking loathsome cunt motherfucking bastard lazy ass slack willed piece of shit.

Memorial Hermann Hospital Systems here in Houston has contracted the services of a staffing company that serves 70 different countries ... and they're looking for staff in the area.

Maybe two more weeks to make sure the car payments and insurance are stable, the mortgage is good and bills are current ... a month at the most for a nail in a tire or something ...

And look at that, I could transfer back to somewhere in Dallas.

• Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    I am, at some point, going to call the department of labor and ask if I can quit my job and get on unemployment due to *waves arms* you know everything. I might have mentioned it before but we found out like a week or two ago that we are not, actually, essential workers per se because we haven't been resupplying stores from our warehouse, we've just been filling other warehouses to get ahead of the future rush. We could all have been at home on unemployment, probably since that extra 600$ a month was available, which would have been a significant pay bump for a lot of us. Oh, and the company applied for that business loan despite not being a small company by only referring to the warehouse we work at which is a smaller location. None of that money got directed our way, obviously, either to our actual checks or to the warehouse itself.

So I'm kind of just pissed and burned out and done.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    I am, at some point, going to call the department of labor and ask if I can quit my job and get on unemployment due to *waves arms* you know everything. I might have mentioned it before but we found out like a week or two ago that we are not, actually, essential workers per se because we haven't been resupplying stores from our warehouse, we've just been filling other warehouses to get ahead of the future rush. We could all have been at home on unemployment, probably since that extra 600$ a month was available, which would have been a significant pay bump for a lot of us. Oh, and the company applied for that business loan despite not being a small company by only referring to the warehouse we work at which is a smaller location. None of that money got directed our way, obviously, either to our actual checks or to the warehouse itself.

So I'm kind of just pissed and burned out and done.

Yeah, man, fuck yeah.

I'm risking not only my life but my mother's life as well cooking food to a bunch of habitual drunks, drug dealers/users, and all-around filthy fuckers who don't even normally wash their hands when they take a shit ... I'm just worn out by the selfishness of it all.

Goddammit, I'm actually ashamed right now of once having wanted to serve my country. At least I met some good people along the way.

• TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    sarukun wrote: »

I call no tonal langues.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • CelloCello Registered User regular
    Darth I am very, very much looking forward to when you get to write about your last shift at this place

Partially because you're about a hundred times better than having to work at this local franchise of Actual Hell, but also partially because I think however you break out of it is going to be a tale

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
    TheStig wrote: »

I call no tonal langues.

Good luck finding a language that doesn’t use tones but also has only short words. Tones allow the recycling of syllables so you can create a lot more distinct combinations without actually running the complete gamut of sounds the human mouth is capable of making (which would be the only other way to avoid increasing the length of your words).

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited September 2020
    Echo on

I call no tonal langues.

Good luck finding a language that doesn’t use tones but also has only short words. Tones allow the recycling of syllables so you can create a lot more distinct combinations without actually running the complete gamut of sounds the human mouth is capable of making (which would be the only other way to avoid increasing the length of your words).

The key is to not have a lot of words. People really shouldn't be talking that much anyway.

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular

I call no tonal langues.

The key is to not have a lot of words. People really shouldn't be talking that much anyway.

Just so.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Yup.

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I know I make fun of working for the hell known to men
    It's gone to shit for various reasons from idiot managers. From the district trying to fix the problem without looking at the problem themself and so many other reason
    One of the nurgle cult members the one that will gleefully shoot people and has a Ar 14 fetish said he was gettind fed up with the way he is treated nad would shoot up the place then when confronted said it was a joke

While watching American Heist [never saw or heard of this movie before} one of the leaders of the Nurgle cult said the troll was going to be a last great president that we will end up worse under future presidents sighting the "commies" {I really find it both funny and sad he refers to the growing left as Commies} Much much more was said I just tunned it out
    As last week when he and the other leader of the cult were talking back to the TV about the over 200K deaths due to the virus said they did not die of the virus then did the outlandish request of Where are the bodies? Show me the bodies!
    being last break with about less than 2 hours to go I felt like clocking out and going home as I had enough of the BS and talk from them
    Against better judgement I stayed

edited September 2020

I call no tonal langues.

Preposterous! Absurd! Ludicrous!

No, wait....

Inconceivable!

sarukun on
  • Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    Coming up on a year at my job soon. Tips for how to broach the subject of a raise (review?), despite working mostly remote now?

• chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    It's entirely appropriate to ask your boss about a review process; if you want to couch it in wanting to check in and see how you're doing so as to not make it seem [looking out for yourself] greedy, I think that would fly pretty well

• CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular

I call no tonal langues.

You're right, we SHOULD all be speaking Latin.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
    I called an early morning meeting because it was the only time slot that overlapped enough geographies with availability.

Of course I’m wide awake and can’t fall asleep.

😐

• OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    I called an early morning meeting because it was the only time slot that overlapped enough geographies with availability.

😐

This is why you should never schedule an early morning meeting!

• thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
    Orca wrote: »

😐

This is why you should never schedule an early morning meeting!

World-wide teams make this goal unachievable.

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    My VPN credentials stopped working.

Mmm, Mondays.

It was suggested, over on the Webcomics thread, that the librarians among us might find the latest Questionable Content of interest.

• AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    I know I make fun of working for the hell known to men
    It's gone to shit for various reasons from idiot managers. From the district trying to fix the problem without looking at the problem themself and so many other reason
    One of the nurgle cult members the one that will gleefully shoot people and has a Ar 14 fetish said he was gettind fed up with the way he is treated nad would shoot up the place then when confronted said it was a joke

While watching American Heist [never saw or heard of this movie before} one of the leaders of the Nurgle cult said the troll was going to be a last great president that we will end up worse under future presidents sighting the "commies" {I really find it both funny and sad he refers to the growing left as Commies} Much much more was said I just tunned it out
    As last week when he and the other leader of the cult were talking back to the TV about the over 200K deaths due to the virus said they did not die of the virus then did the outlandish request of Where are the bodies? Show me the bodies!
    being last break with about less than 2 hours to go I felt like clocking out and going home as I had enough of the BS and talk from them
    Against better judgement I stayed
    Ah yes, we've stored all 200,000+ corpses from the past half year in Area 51, of course. :/

There's a part of me that imagines this guy waking up under a pile of corpses, and having to dig his way to freedom before he suffocates.
    And then, when he barely manages that, someone is waiting there to meet him. Someone to explain, THESE ARE JUST THE ONES WHO DIED TODAY. YOU'RE ABOUT TO BE BURIED UNDER THE OTHER TWO HUNDRED THOUSAND.

• MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    I know someone who complains about how the "media" doesn't bother reporting how many survive compared to how many die. They then went off on a tangent about how they're blaming every death on COVID-19 because they "get funding for it" but couldn't really explain when pressed on that firm stance.

Between that sort of thing and knowing what's to come on the Supreme Court, let alone the election, and that's why I'm twitchy awake at 0230 without a hint of fatigue on a normal work night. Strongly considering making the call into work now to claim a mental health day then turning off the alarm and see what time I'll wake up.

• FlarneFlarne Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    Let me tell you about pitch accent languages

My favorite Swedish word like this is "banan". It means either "the path/track/course" or "banana" depending on pronounciation.

One time I was on the webpage of a 5k race and spent way too long wondering why they had a whole menu item dedicated to bananas. I thought maybe they gave you a banana as a snack, but why would it be important enough to have it's own page? Clicked it and quickly realized I was an idiot and it was a map of the track.

Also "the metro" is called "tunnelbanan", which means that if you teach someone to slightly mispronounce it they'll go around asking where the tunnel-banana is.

• schussschuss Registered User regular
    Flarne wrote: »
    Echo wrote: »
    Let me tell you about pitch accent languages

My favorite Swedish word like this is "banan". It means either "the path/track/course" or "banana" depending on pronounciation.

One time I was on the webpage of a 5k race and spent way too long wondering why they had a whole menu item dedicated to bananas. I thought maybe they gave you a banana as a snack, but why would it be important enough to have it's own page? Clicked it and quickly realized I was an idiot and it was a map of the track.

Also "the metro" is called "tunnelbanan", which means that if you teach someone to slightly mispronounce it they'll go around asking where the tunnel-banana is.

I feel like this explains a lot about Sweden, but don't know the culture well enough to comment.
    Is asking where the tunnel banana goes a pickup line?

This discussion has been closed.