As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The [Bread] Thread! A Thread all about Bread!

12345679»

• lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Made sourdough the other day for the first time in a while.

I actually managed to not screw it up and got some good holes and structure even though I left it rising for about 1.5 hours between the third and fourth stretch and fold.

And then is was resting on the fridge for almost a good 22 hours before I could bake it.

I've taken to adding in a small amount of black pepper into the dough with the salt and it's a really really tasty addition. Just enough that you know it's there but not enough to burn your mouth first thing.

I had forgotten how enjoyable it could be to make this bread.

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    It could also be pretty sloppy or sticky if you don't account for the hydration of the starter in the recipe, and it'll just be wetter than you expect.

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Today I'm making my first attempt at brioche.

So far all I can say is why do I do this to myself

• KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Today I'm making my first attempt at brioche.

So far all I can say is why do I do this to myself

Are you at least doing it with a stand mixer?

When I learned brioche in pastry school, they had us mix it entirely by hand the first time. Just, so much butter all over your hands for so long... Then we made it again with the stand mixer. It was basically an object lesson on the usefulness of a stand mixer.

That said, you can do a lot of neat things with brioche once you have the basics down. All kinds of shapes/designs are pretty easy to achieve.

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Well. I tried using my sister-in-law's KitchenAid, because I thought that was a stand mixer. But it turns out I didn't actually know what a stand mixer is and that is in fact a food processor, so despite having an attachment labeled "dough" it's not able to knead dough. So after cleaning dough from places in her KitchenAid that dough is definitely not supposed to go I remembered we have a bread machine, and after 30 minutes I figured out how to make that just knead without doing anything else. And now the dough is proofing. But I have no idea if it's kneaded enough because I don't know what consistency brioche dough is supposed to be.

• honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Is there a big functional difference between a stand mixer and a hand mixer? I just noticed that American recipes either have you use a stand mixer or do it totally by hand with a spoon or something. Hand mixers never get mentioned.

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Every hand mixer I've ever owned has been more of a pain in the butt than doing it by hand, unless you are like... Creaming butter and sugar or whipping eggs a lot? Both of which a stand mixer can also do, on top of having a heavier motor and more stability to handle tough bread doughs for long kneading cycles.

Also if I remember correctly brioche dough should be very smooth shiny and elastic, easy to handle and hold its shape fairly well.

Tallahasseeriel on
    edited October 2020
    The brioche turned out pretty ok. Not as light as stuff I've had before and I think it could have done with a couple of minutes less in the oven so the crust was softer, but it was nice.

Look at my buns
    z2qvod2iqv7s.jpg

In other news my sourdough starter was consigned to the compost bin today because I forgot about it and it went all mouldy and gross. But I had been considering sacking it in anyway because I think sourdough is just too much hassle for me to bother with at the moment.

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    Nice buns, smof

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    honovere wrote: »
    Is there a big functional difference between a stand mixer and a hand mixer? I just noticed that American recipes either have you use a stand mixer or do it totally by hand with a spoon or something. Hand mixers never get mentioned.

Hand mixers don't have to torque needed for breads. They are more for cakes and other lighter doughs. Also at least in the US they use a double beater design which is for incorporating ingredients and whipping them, not kneading.

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Oh shit that picture reminds me I need a new cooling rack because mine rusted over. Thanks Smof.

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    honovere wrote: »

Hand mixers don't have to torque needed for breads. They are more for cakes and other lighter doughs. Also at least in the US they use a double beater design which is for incorporating ingredients and whipping them, not kneading.

Yeah hand mixers are generally not gonna be capable of dealing with stiff doughs. I have a cookie dough spiral-type attachment for my hand mixer which I can use for certain types of looser, wetter doughs (eg. turkish bread), but it would shit itself if confronted with any serious kneading.

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    And nobody wants to eat bread with mixer shit in it.

GDdCWMm.jpg
    Especially not since Mixer shut down.

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Yeah, I have a hand mixer I get a fair amount of use out of, but it can't do kneading or anything. It's great for quick breads and cookies and such.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • PeenPeen Registered User regular
    I'm bringing this thread back to give a bread tip: you can get a bag of wheat bran for $3ish and add it to your bread dough and it's really delicious, especially if you're using a white flour. It doesn't affect how your dough rises or your water ratios or anything so it's easier than using whole wheat flour and it really does make a difference to the taste. No idea what it does for the nutrition so I'm not going to make any claims that way but it probably does something, right? Anyway I recommend it, it's wherever your grocery store keeps the Bob's Red Mill bags, in mine it's the natural products/what-your-mom-calls-hippy-crap aisle.

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Arise Bread Thread!

I started this pandemic with Bacon Sour Dough, and I'm ending it the same. I have a couple loafs doing their final proofs right now and should go into the oven just a bit after lunch. It's my first bake this year and they are looking pretty good so far. I had to sub out all purpose flour for bread flour because my AP had some weevils in it. That was a fun surprise. I kneaded the bread a bit less than normal to account for the bread flour so here's hoping it tastes good!

Has anybody else been baking recently, and if so, what have ya'll made?

webguy20 wrote: »
    Arise Bread Thread!

I started this pandemic with Bacon Sour Dough, and I'm ending it the same. I have a couple loafs doing their final proofs right now and should go into the oven just a bit after lunch. It's my first bake this year and they are looking pretty good so far. I had to sub out all purpose flour for bread flour because my AP had some weevils in it. That was a fun surprise. I kneaded the bread a bit less than normal to account for the bread flour so here's hoping it tastes good!

Has anybody else been baking recently, and if so, what have ya'll made?

I make a sheet of focaccia twice a month and a loaf of sandwich bread twice a month, so I'm at least still baking something weekly. That's it for me, super boring.

edited May 2021
    Hot diggity Damn I think this might be the best loaf I've ever produced! The 2nd one doesn't look too bad either.

oa5kcfnne98u.jpg
    tiop2i0tdzil.jpg

webguy20 on
  • Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    Oh, there's a bread thread. I make bread.

Tonight's sourdough:

zh0iqeB.jpg

(the left is a parbake, I'll throw that in the freezer then take it out in a couple days and finish it off)

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    51r4Pr9.jpg

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
    I need smellovision for this thread.

• DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    I heard this ducking lunatic on Boston Public Radio say yesterday that in the debate of white vs whole wheat bread, whole wheat is actually bad for you. Apparently he used to be some Microsoft big wig before writing a huge book about bread.

WTF was that all about, is he for real?

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
    It's recommended that at least half of your daily carbohydrates come from whole wheat, because they are better for you than alternatives. So, brown rice over white rice, wheat bread over white bread, etc.

So, yeah, ducking lunatic ain't far off.

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    People say all sorts of weird shit about nutrition because it "seems right to them" or they read it on some wackadoo's blog and it got picked up by half a dozen other pseudoscience "wellness" grifters.

edited December 2021
    Bringing back the Bread Thread!

Making a loaf of Pain au Bacon and a loaf of Rosemary and Olive sour dough tomorrow for boardgame day on Sunday. It's been a couple months since I've baked and I've been cleaning the kitchen all week and it is ready for some mess!

webguy20 on
    Bread has been made!

oa2r3dyyye4o.jpg