As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Genshin Impact] Breath of the Gacha (1.2 out now!)

• Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    Axen wrote: »
    Game is live.

Huh damn, early launch, nice.

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Game is live.

Huh, that's early.

The download's been going crazy slow for me too.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Uuugh. I don't have the stomach for rerolls to be honest and I've got some responsibilities early tomorrow. Just give me a cool 5* to start and save me the hassle.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    Tiger BurningTiger Burning Dig if you will, the pictureRegistered User, SolidSaints Tube regular
    So if I understand the gacha correctly, the pity counter only applies to pulls on that banner, and doesn't carry over. So you're sort of obligated to save to pull at least 90 times on a single banner, or 180 times for the featured unit. Otherwise you're only getting the 0.6% rate. And at the $10/month battle pass plus monthly currency pass, that means saving for 4 months at a time to pull on a single banner.

But you also need to pull several copies of a unit to max them out?

That seems bad, to me.

And I was kind of hyped for this since I first heard of it, which was yesterday.

Ain't no particular sign I'm more compatible with
  • Options
    So if I understand the gacha correctly, the pity counter only applies to pulls on that banner, and doesn't carry over. So you're sort of obligated to save to pull at least 90 times on a single banner, or 180 times for the featured unit. Otherwise you're only getting the 0.6% rate. And at the $10/month battle pass plus monthly currency pass, that means saving for 4 months at a time to pull on a single banner.

But you also need to pull several copies of a unit to max them out?

That seems bad, to me.

And I was kind of hyped for this since I first heard of it, which was yesterday.

Yeah, that sounds about right for a gacha, which is fundamentally awful. The thing you have to resign yourself to is that the full whale, fully unlocked thing is completely unnecessary to playing. But if you find that too annoying even then, you're just going to want to steer clear of gachad. They are foundationally designed to get hundreds of dollars from a small percentage of players.

• Options
    Tiger BurningTiger Burning Dig if you will, the pictureRegistered User, SolidSaints Tube regular
    edited September 2020
    Oh I've played gachas before, and enjoyed them, but this seems especially stingy even given the genre.

Tiger Burning on
  • Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    I'll be damned "Arrogation" is an actual word.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Hah the download for this game is sitting in the KB/sec. Haven't seen that in a while.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    Looks like the iOS version doesn't support controllers or Apple TV. Pity.

• Options
    ArdArd Registered User regular
    I should not have looked in this thread. I’m in real trouble.

• Options
    DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    I have no idea what I’m doing

Why is sprint on r1?

616610-1.png
  • Options
    I thought the game said the game world scales to you. . .that is spectacularly not the case. Climbed a mountain side and got curb stomped by level 12 enemies that I mistook for "Level 1" and "Level 2" on top of each other.
    Disrupter wrote: »

Why is sprint on r1?

Or no option to swap Cross and Circle? Also the right analog stick controlling the camera feels a little stiff and the implementation kind of funky. Also no D-Pad usage in menus.

• Options
    KyanilisKyanilis Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    ED! wrote: »
    I thought the game said the game world scales to you. . .that is spectacularly not the case. Climbed a mountain side and got curb stomped by level 12 enemies that I mistook for "Level 1" and "Level 2" on top of each other.

Why is sprint on r1?

Or no option to swap Cross and Circle? Also the right analog stick controlling the camera feels a little stiff and the implementation kind of funky. Also no D-Pad usage in menus.

The game will scale up with your adventure rank by advancing your world level as you go, but it definitely doesn't scale to you specifically.

And currently there's no way to remap controls. It looks like it SHOULD let you, but it doesn't. Hopefully that comes soon, I don't really enjoy the default controls with a controller. Right now, kb/m feels better, which is weird to say for an action game like this.

• Options
    I thought when I Got to adventure rank 7 I would get the currency to do the middle banner roll? Is that not the case? I didn’t get mail

616610-1.png
  • Options
    I thought when I Got to adventure rank 7 I would get the currency to do the middle banner roll? Is that not the case? I didn’t get mail

You should get 1600 primogems at AR7, which is equivalent to 10 rolls. You can technically spend these on whichever banner you choose. You get 10 of the acquaint fates (which are the direct summon currency for beginner and "standard" banners) at AR5 and AR10.

• Options
    I haven't used my special ability properly once. Really wish they add in controller remapping, even if I'm a limited form. Or even alternate control schemes.

• Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2020
    In the shop, at Paimon's Bargains has the option to trade 160 Primogens into either 1 Acquaint Fate or 1 Intertwined Fate. Different banners use one or the other type of Fate. So 1600 Primogen gives you 10 of the fate which is enough for 1 10 pull.

Game is very pretty and pretty much exactly what I was expecting in terms of BotW exploration. Very fun. Had the obligatory explore around, notice something weird down in a crevasse down below, went to go say hi, and then encountered an elite boss that was 20 levels higher than me D= Lots of running ensued.

Pulled on the beginning banner twice. No 5*s, but ended up with Bennett (he's adorable and constantly getting pelted by acorns), plus Noelle as the guaranteed 4* and...Lightning Greatsword dude whose name I forget as other guaranteed random 4*. I'm excited to try him tomorrow.

Don't know if I want to pull on the character or weapon banner with my other free AR7 10 pull though. I feel like I'd rather want weapons over characters at the moment?

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    Also at Paimon's Bargains in the shop: there's another tab that lets you spend that star currency you passively collect as you pull on banners. 75 of that currency for a single Acquaint or Intertwined Fate, which you can get 5 of each per week/month (I forget the limit duration on that).

Characters
  • Options
    Ok I figured it out thanks!

I’m a little bummed I got Barbara who I think is guaranteed if you get AR 20 soon?

Does this game let you combine duplicates (chars and weapons) to upgrade?

616610-1.png
  • Options
    Ok I figured it out thanks!

I’m a little bummed I got Barbara who I think is guaranteed if you get AR 20 soon?

Does this game let you combine duplicates (chars and weapons) to upgrade?

I believe duplicate character pulls gets converted into special mats.

Characters
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    Dupes are used to enhance a character's constellation which is a passive tree of things that range from "good" to "fantastic". They're not super necessary to do any content in the game but getting a dupe in this game is far from a bad thing. For example, Barbara's first constellation gives her passive energy regeneration of 1 every 10s, but her 6th and final one gives a passive auto-revive to any other party member every 15 min which is, ya know, pretty damn good.

By the way, the 3 4* characters on the banner are all considered generally really good. You have a 50% chance to pull one of them every 10 pulls. Even if you're not going to go for Venti it's almost worth it to pick up the others, though, as was mentioned, both Barbara and Xiangling can be gotten for free from other sources so keep that in mind. Fischl can't though and she's a pretty great electro archer.

Kyanilis on
  • Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    This game is so damned adorable that I don't mind the gacha. I play gachas but dont want another to spend in heh the one main one is enough.

I got barbara, razor and xiangling in my 10 pulls. And a dupe razor. Who seems fun.

• Options
    SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    Tried 3 rerolls: 4* character; 4* weapon; 4* weapon.

Got depressed and gave up, I'll just take the character account I guess. I'd do it more if it was faster to reroll but so much unskippable cutscenes and not that fastforwardable dialogue = no thanks.

Theoretically not intending to go too hard on this since I'm still actively playing 3 of these fucking gacha games because I have deep seated problems or something.

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    This game is going to take a lot of peoples money. They already got me for a tenner. 🤔

• Options
    Just showing this heckin' good boy a trick.
    XHiDllx.jpg

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    The game is really, really good. Honestly better than it has any right to be considering the terms “Chinese” and “Gacha” are involved.

It is pretty clear the Devs actually did give a shit. Here’s hoping control remapping comes (much) sooner rather than later. That’s my biggest complaint at the moment.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    Does anyone know if you can play android games like this using a stadia/stadia controller? Got one free and haven't found much use for it but this might be good.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    The game is really, really good. Honestly better than it has any right to be considering the terms “Chinese” and “Gacha” are involved.

It is pretty clear the Devs actually did give a shit. Here’s hoping control remapping comes (much) sooner rather than later. That’s my biggest complaint at the moment.

Honkai Impact was also quite good, like a DMC-lite. The devs do care, but the gacha rates are still atrocious.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    LorekLorek Registered User regular
    So I got to rank 7 and did two pulls on the beginner. Besides the guaranteed 4* unit, I also got Xianling and Barbara. Basically the two other 4* characters we are given for free. So that was not an auspicious sign.
    Oh well, at least I'll get some points into their star sign things.

• Options
    The gacha is terrible and the writing thus far is sub-mmo level. But the gameplay is fun, and the visuals and music are lovely. I was humming the theme coming in to work today. I'll put some time into this, if not money.

• Options
    It's correct and safe to pull on the beginner banner once, right?

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Don't forget to claim your Primogen rewards for doing Achievements.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    The beginner banner gives Noelle and one other gauranteed 4* at least on first pull.

The rates in this game are terrible. So pulling or whaling is worse than many pvp oriented gachas which is comical with it being so popular. But gacha gonna getcha. Good thing its a pve gacha so I don't care about pulling.

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

If I understand right the Acquaint Fates you're gifted can't be used on the good, limited-time banners (only Intertwined Fates can), so the Acquaint Fates are fine to use on whatever. I wouldn't spend currency pulling on it though.

Tiger Burning on
  • Options

If I understand right the Acquaint Fates you're gifted can't be used on the good, limited-time banners (only Intertwined Fates can), so the Acquaint Fates are fine to use on whatever. I wouldn't spend currency pulling on it though.

Well, I think I can use them to pull on either a beginner banner or a current featured banner and I'm wondering if the beginner banner is as trick or is worth it.

• Options
    edited September 2020
    It has a high chance at razor who is one of the top 4* deeps from my experience and tier lists. He is fun to play as. I am using Noelle too and she seems like a decent tank if needed for the game.

Look at details for banner and if you want any of them or not from watching YTs or the like.

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    Update on their anti-cheat: https://genshin.mihoyo.com/en/news/detail/5818

Typical "hey this is why it runs all the time" but they're backing off on it and have promised that within the next 30 hours they'll push out an update that will make sure it doesn't run while the game isn't running and addresses the uninstall issue.

• Options
    edited September 2020

Well, I think I can use them to pull on either a beginner banner or a current featured banner and I'm wondering if the beginner banner is as trick or is worth it.

I think you can only use them on the beginner banner or the standard, permanent banner, and between the two the beginner is better because of the guaranteed 4 star per 10-pull (which you can do twice). I could be wrong though.

Edit: or wait, I guess it's always a guaranteed 4 star per 10 because of the pity rate? So 20% discount on the beginner banner and the guaranteed noelle is the difference?

Tiger Burning on
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular

I think you can only use them on the beginner banner or the standard, permanent banner, and between the two the beginner is better because of the guaranteed 4 star per 10-pull (which you can do twice). I could be wrong though.

Edit: or wait, I guess it's always a guaranteed 4 star per 10 because of the pity rate? So 20% discount on the beginner banner and the guaranteed noelle is the difference?

Yeah, beginner banner is cheaper and then it guarantees you'll get at least 2 4*+ characters (Noelle on the first, someone other than her on the second)

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options

There are two type of "Fates":

Acquaint Fate: The game hands these out every so often plus they give you 10 at AR5 and another 10 at AR10. They can only be spent on the beginner banner and the "standard" banner (it's labeled "Wanderlust Invocation" in the game).
    Intertwined Fate: These are what you spend on the "featured" banner. If you're going to spend primogems for wishes, these are technically the ones that you'll be investing in. The game DOES give out some of these but it'll be at a lower rate than acquaint fates.