As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

New to PAX? Read this first and ask questions here

Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right NowDrives a BuickModerator mod
edited September 2008 in PAX Archive
pax_logo.jpg

When: August 29-31, 2008

Where: Washington State Convention and Trade Center, Downtown Seattle, WA

What:
Wikipedia wrote:
The Penny Arcade Expo (PAX) is an annual gamer festival held in Washington. PAX was created by Jerry Holkins and Mike Krahulik, the authors of the Penny Arcade webcomic, because they wanted to attend a show that gave equal attention to video gamers, computer gamers, and tabletop gamers. No such show existed, so PAX was born.

Created in 2004, PAX has doubled in size each successive year and has been hailed as a weekend-long celebration of gamer culture. Defining characteristics include game-inspired concerts, panels on game industry topics, exhibitor booths, after-hours parties, tournaments, and freeplay areas.
Last year (2007) PAX had over 37,000 attendees.

Links: Penny Arcade, PAX Website, PAX topic at Wikipedia

What this forum is: This forum is for the discussion of PAX, finding people to carpool or caravan with, finding people to split the cost of a hotel room, and general questions and information about PAX.

What this thread is: This thread is a place for people who have never been to PAX to ask questions, and for the PAX experienced to provide answers (and some general PAX wisdom).

Frequently Asked Questions
Here's a FAQ for those of you who don't want to comb through this thread to see if your question has been answered already.
How do I register for PAX?
You can register online at http://www.pennyarcadeexpo.com/registration.php

It's after August 1, if I order my ticket online, where do I pick it up?
In the Will Call line on the 4th floor of the convention center either on Thursday the 28th from 6pm to midnight or on the days of PAX starting at 8am.

How do I get the PAX discount on my hotel room?
All information on hotels offering a PAX discount is available at http://www.pennyarcadeexpo.com/hotels.php
All pricing given is per night

What days can you book for at the discounted rate?

Thursday Check-in - Monday Check-Out

Do they charge my credit card when I reserve my room?
No, they only use your credit card to hold the room. When you check in, they put a hold on the card you present them at that time for the amount of your stay and when you check out they charge that, plus any billable charges (phone calls, pay per view, room service) to your card at that time.

How far away are the hotels from the convention center?
The Sheraton and Hyatt are about 100 feet from the WSCTC. The Roosevelt is one block away. The Crowne Plaza is less than a quarter-mile away.

How many people can stay in one hotel room?
Most hotels allow four, however be aware when you reserve a room with four people per room, they tack on an additional charge for rollaway beds.

The Sheraton's website says the PAX rate is sold out for 8/26-8/27. What does this mean?
This means that the Sheraton will not honor the PAX rate for an 8/26 or 8/27 check in. The earliest you can get the PAX rate with the Sheraton is 8/28.

What time is check in at these hotels?
Most hotels have check in at around 3pm. If you're going to be arriving in town later in the evening or at night, be sure to let the hotel know when you make your reservation.

How much does it cost to park?

Parking is $25+ per day. If you're flying in, take a shuttle from the airport, don't bother renting a car. You won't need it unless you want to leave downtown.

Can I volunteer to help out at PAX this year?
Sorry, there won't be open enrollment for enforcers this year.
We will not be making an open call for Enforcers this year. As we have retained most of the volunteers from previous years, we still have sufficient Enforcers to keep PAX rolling at the WSCTC for 2008. As a result, we aren't calling for new applications for this year.

I hope this answers the burning question! Thanks to all of you who expressed an interest in helping
Friday morning will call will begin at 8am (the show itself opens at 2pm).

As far as Thursday night, "officially" you can pick up a badge between 6pm and 8pm, but we'll be there doing setup well into the night. I would say you'd be safe dropping by until midnight or so.

If you want a friend to pick up your badge, shoot me an e-mail (amberf@penny-arcade.com) and I'll make a note of it on your order.
out, and we'll let you know if we open up again for '09.

~ PRD

What should I bring with me to PAX?
CatBoy wrote: »
I better get this in just so everyone is kinda prepared and in the know of what to bring to PAX or any con that may come their way. (I'm sorry for the huge post, but a lot of people don't know what to bring.)
The Top Twenty Items Forgotten by Convention Attendees Checklist

1. Personal Towel (We know the hotel provides them, but if you're sharing a room with several people, this guarantees you your very own towel. Also, if you plan on using a lot of makeup for a costume or dying your hair *and* use hotel towels, you will be charged a hefty fee for damaging hotel property. Please bring your own towels if you plan to do this.) You may also dip the ends in liquid vitamins and suck on the corners when needed.

* A pretty cool tip involving this is bringing a small clothespin with your name on it to attach to your towel so people can differentiate between yours and theirs. In fact, bring a couple, so you can share with people.

2. Shampoo and Conditioner (Again, the hotel provides these, but the bottles are quite small. Bringing your own ensures you will have some, especially if you use a lot of shampoo or have long hair.)

3. Toothbrush and Toothpaste (You'd be amazed at what going three days without brushing tastes like. Gross.)

4. Deodorant (If you don't bring and use this, don't be surprised when people start edging away from you in packed rooms and theaters. Don't forget the strange looks and cringed noses you'll begin to see.)

5. Razor and Shaving Cream/Gel

6. Comb and/or Hairbrush (some people do use both. You'd be surprised.)

7. One shirt for each day of the convention, plus an extra. (3 days = 4 shirts)

8. Pants (Same number as shirts.)

9. Underwear (3 sets, plus an extra.)

10. Socks (One pair per day plus an extra pair.)

11. Swimsuit (You never know.)

12. Jacket or warm sweater

13. Shoes (If you plan on spending a lot of time dancing or on your feet, make sure you have comfortable shoes with you. Your feet will hurt if you don't have comfy shoes to at least change into.)

14. Any prescribed medication (Make sure to tell your traveling companions/roommates about any medical needs you may have.)

15. Tylenol/Aspirin/etc

16. Photo ID / Driver's License / Checkbook / Car keys

17. A phone card (Not only is this cheaper than having calls charged to your hotel room, but having several people using one phone can lead to billing confusion with long distance calls. Bring a phone card so you can let your parents/significant other know you made it to the con safely.)

18. An extra pillow and blanket if several people are staying in your room.

19. Some non-perishable food from a supermarket (Like peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, chips, pretzels and bottled water or juice. While there are a lot of restaurants close by, this is an easy way to save money. In addition, you'll be able to have your midnight snack without leaving your room.)

20. Your best public manners. (You'd be surprised how many people forget to bring these along.)
The exhibition hall is full of awesome. There are upcoming games, and hardware showcased as well as things for sale from games, to guides, to t-shirts, to dice. Prices are comparable with standard retail pricing, or a little cheaper, even. Also, there's tons of free shirts and other swag being handed out by various companies *cough*nVidia*cough*
the spoiler is for the REALLY well prepared
A List For The Well Prepared

* Small tube of super glue
* 3 straight pins
* 3 safety pins: 1 small and 2 medium
* Hair pins: 3 medium and 3 heavy
* Small sewing kit (small enough to fit into the palm of your hand)
* Safety matches (1 pack)
* Disposable plastic razor
* Small emery board
* Tylenol/Aspirin (travel sized contaiThe exhibition hall is full of awesome. There are upcoming games, and hardware showcased as well as things for sale from games, to guides, to t-shirts, to dice. Prices are comparable with standard retail pricing, or a little cheaper, even. Also, there's tons of free shirts and other swag being handed out by various companies *cough*nVidia*cough*ner)
* 6 chewable Vitamin C tablets (at least 500 mg each)
* 2 Vitamin B complex tabs, stress formula
* 1 pack Tums/Rolaids
* 6 bandaids (or a travel sized pack)
* 6 antihistamine tablets
* 1 travel pack of tissues
* Tube of chapstick or other lip balm
* 6 cough drops or throat lozenges
* Smallest size of tiger balm or camphophenique oil
* Travel size tube of spot remover
* Spare car and house keys
* Breath freshener
* 6 moist towelettes (for cleaning hands)
* Small pencil sharpener
* Small pen
* 1 small pack of post-it-notes (the square ones work fine)
* Clear nail polish
* Small amount of masking tape wrapped around a short pencil
* 6 rubber bands
* 3 unlubricated condoms
* Small penknife
* Small tube of neosporin
* 3 garbage bag twist ties
* Mustache scissors (small pair of scissors will work as well)
* Styptic pencil or qwik stop
* Hand lotion (travel size)
* Aloe vera gel (travel size)
* 3 nail polish remover pad
* Tampons or pads if you are the type to bleed occasionally

Where can I get something to eat in downtown Seattle?

Practically everywhere, there are two malls and Pike Place Market all within walking distance of the Convention Center and Hotels.

I hear there's a Gameworks near the WSCTC, what's a Gameworks?
Liger wrote: »
Gameworks is a 2-story arcade with full restaurant and bar on the upper floor. Arcade games from all eras, including a section to win tickets and redeem them for cheezy prizes. The food is pretty good, but the service can suck sometimes. The bar is a bar. It has booze. It's also in a more separate section of the upper floor that's roped off for 21+, but still has a kickass view of the whole facility.

What does BYOC stand for?

Bring Your Own Computer, you can find more information about BYOC at http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=48874

What is the exhibit floor like?
The exhibition hall is full of awesome. There are upcoming games, and hardware showcased as well as things for sale from games, to guides, to t-shirts, to dice. Prices are comparable with standard retail pricing, or a little cheaper, even. Also, there's tons of free shirts and other swag being handed out by various companies *cough*nVidia*cough*

Should I buy a Nintendo DS/bring my DS to PAX?
YES

When do I sign up for tournaments?

Tournament registration is day-of. Get there early, most tournaments fill up within an hour or two of PAX opening.

How do I become and Omeganaut?
Just check the button that says, "I want to be considered to be an Omeganaut" when you pre-register. Then you just have to hope you are one of the 18 peope to get the call.

Where do the parties happen?

Hotel Rooms (and a few industry sponsored parties at local establishments)

Is there an age limit on the parties?
21+ unless there's no alcohol involved

How do the concerts work?
whypick1 wrote: »
Bracelets are distributed by Enforcers, and having one will make sure you get in first, but I don't recall hearing the theaters filling up to the point where they had to turn people away. If you don't get one, you should still be able to get in, you just won't be able to get in super early.

Also, if you BYOC, you're given a bracelet.

What's the weather like in Seattle during PAX?
The weather's been great for every single PAX.

I'm flying to PAX, how soon should I book my flight?
As soon as you can. Airline tickets cost more the closer you get to the date of travel.

IMPORTANT WILL CALL INFORMATION
Last year we had _tons_ of issues with the international mailings -- hence why the will call line was so long. We ended up with lots of folks that we expected to already have their badges.

This year we know exactly how many will call folks there will be, and thus we'll be adequately prepared. You can pick up your badge on Thursday beginning at 6pm, avoiding any of the Friday morning craziness. There'll be a dedicated area for international pickups, you shouldn't be waiting long, if at all.

As far as the BYOC ticket goes, those were mailed out to all BYOC folks, but you'll still be picking up your actual BYOC badge from BigRed at the show itself.

The will call check-in will be located alongside the registration and the info desk counters on the 4th floor of the convention center in the South Lobby area (same place as registration last year). There'll still be a "main entry" line to PAX -- that's unavoidable for us -- but at the very least your badge pickup should be relatively quick and painless.

Sorry guys, I know it sucks to wait for your badges until day-of.. but it seemed like a better solution than going through a repeat of last year's "I should've received a badge, but I didn't, wtf" clusterfuck.
Friday morning will call will begin at 8am (the show itself opens at 2pm).

As far as Thursday night, "officially" you can pick up a badge between 6pm and 8pm, but we'll be there doing setup well into the night. I would say you'd be safe dropping by until midnight or so.

If you want a friend to pick up your badge, shoot me an e-mail (amberf@penny-arcade.com) and I'll make a note of it on your order.

E6LkoFK.png

Moe Fwacky on

• Options
    DreamwriterDreamwriter Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    PAX Wisdom #1: You don't need a car for downtown Seattle, don't rent one, if you must be in car try and cram as many in as possible to keep them out of their own cars. Everything you need is right here: plenty of hotel options, restaurants of all types and price ranges (including vegetarian), bars, arcade, theaters, malls, Starbucks and other internet coffee shops up the yin-yang, even grocery and convenience stores, all within a few blocks of PAX. And the downtown bus system is great, and even free as long as you don't leave downtown (and the further from downtown you go, the worse the bus system gets anyways). For the rare time a car may be needed (for example, a breakfast trip to Pancake House), you can be sure that with as many PAX goers as there will be, you'll be able to snag a ride from someone. Even coming from the airport, if your hotel doesn't have a shuttle, get a ride on Shuttle Express or a Taxi, I think it's only $15 (Pax 2009 you'll be able to take a train from the airport to PAX!)

The reason for this wisdom, is parking in downtown Seattle is hard to do and can be pricey, particularly during conventions. And even driving around isn't a walk in the park, with all the pedestrians crossing when you want to turn, rush hour traffic on Friday night can be *horrible*, and there are some DAMN steep hills (affects those of you with stick shift) between the waterfront and the PAX area of downtown (for those on foot who want to visit the waterfront, worry not, there are elevators at Pike Place Market).

Dreamwriter on
  • Options
    MomoshouseMomoshouse Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    When will pre registration start?? The PAX website itself does not confirm the venue nor have any links to buy tix??
    Thanks!

Momoshouse on
    ""[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]"I've got a good mind to go out and join a club and beat you over the head with it.
  • Options
    LigerLiger Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    The PAX website has a link to the press release, which announces the venue and dates, which are also listed above. Pre-Reg starts when it's announced; probably late this month or early February.

Liger on
    5932306549_6b4d957b56.jpg CUSTOM LANYARDS FOR PAX
  • Options
    BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    About enforcer applications:
    We will not be making an open call for Enforcers this year. As we have retained most of the volunteers from previous years, we still have sufficient Enforcers to keep PAX rolling at the WSCTC for 2008. As a result, we aren't calling for new applications for this year.

I hope this answers the burning question! Thanks to all of you who expressed an interest in helping out, and we'll let you know if we open up again for '09.

~ PRD

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • Options
    CatBoyCatBoy Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I better get this in just so everyone is kinda prepared and in the know of what to bring to PAX or any con that may come their way. (I'm sorry for the huge post, but a lot of people don't know what to bring.)

The Top Twenty Items Forgotten by Convention Attendees Checklist

1. Personal Towel (We know the hotel provides them, but if you're sharing a room with several people, this guarantees you your very own towel. Also, if you plan on using a lot of makeup for a costume or dying your hair *and* use hotel towels, you will be charged a hefty fee for damaging hotel property. Please bring your own towels if you plan to do this.) You may also dip the ends in liquid vitamins and suck on the corners when needed.

* A pretty cool tip involving this is bringing a small clothespin with your name on it to attach to your towel so people can differentiate between yours and theirs. In fact, bring a couple, so you can share with people.

2. Shampoo and Conditioner (Again, the hotel provides these, but the bottles are quite small. Bringing your own ensures you will have some, especially if you use a lot of shampoo or have long hair.)

3. Toothbrush and Toothpaste (You'd be amazed at what going three days without brushing tastes like. Gross.)

4. Deodorant (If you don't bring and use this, don't be surprised when people start edging away from you in packed rooms and theaters. Don't forget the strange looks and cringed noses you'll begin to see.)

5. Razor and Shaving Cream/Gel

6. Comb and/or Hairbrush (some people do use both. You'd be surprised.)

7. One shirt for each day of the convention, plus an extra. (3 days = 4 shirts)

8. Pants (Same number as shirts.)

9. Underwear (3 sets, plus an extra.)

10. Socks (One pair per day plus an extra pair.)

11. Swimsuit (You never know.)

12. Jacket or warm sweater

13. Shoes (If you plan on spending a lot of time dancing or on your feet, make sure you have comfortable shoes with you. Your feet will hurt if you don't have comfy shoes to at least change into.)

14. Any prescribed medication (Make sure to tell your traveling companions/roommates about any medical needs you may have.)

15. Tylenol/Aspirin/etc

16. Photo ID / Driver's License / Checkbook / Car keys

17. A phone card (Not only is this cheaper than having calls charged to your hotel room, but having several people using one phone can lead to billing confusion with long distance calls. Bring a phone card so you can let your parents/significant other know you made it to the con safely.)

18. An extra pillow and blanket if several people are staying in your room.

19. Some non-perishable food from a supermarket (Like peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, chips, pretzels and bottled water or juice. While there are a lot of restaurants close by, this is an easy way to save money. In addition, you'll be able to have your midnight snack without leaving your room.)

20. Your best public manners. (You'd be surprised how many people forget to bring these along.)

the spoiler is for the REALLY well prepared
    A List For The Well Prepared

* Small tube of super glue
    * 3 straight pins
    * 3 safety pins: 1 small and 2 medium
    * Hair pins: 3 medium and 3 heavy
    * Small sewing kit (small enough to fit into the palm of your hand)
    * Safety matches (1 pack)
    * Disposable plastic razor
    * Small emery board
    * Tylenol/Aspirin (travel sized container)
    * 6 chewable Vitamin C tablets (at least 500 mg each)
    * 2 Vitamin B complex tabs, stress formula
    * 1 pack Tums/Rolaids
    * 6 bandaids (or a travel sized pack)
    * 6 antihistamine tablets
    * 1 travel pack of tissues
    * Tube of chapstick or other lip balm
    * 6 cough drops or throat lozenges
    * Smallest size of tiger balm or camphophenique oil
    * Travel size tube of spot remover
    * Spare car and house keys
    * Breath freshener
    * 6 moist towelettes (for cleaning hands)
    * Small pencil sharpener
    * Small pen
    * 1 small pack of post-it-notes (the square ones work fine)
    * Clear nail polish
    * Small amount of masking tape wrapped around a short pencil
    * 6 rubber bands
    * 3 unlubricated condoms
    * Small penknife
    * Small tube of neosporin
    * 3 garbage bag twist ties
    * Mustache scissors (small pair of scissors will work as well)
    * Styptic pencil or qwik stop
    * Hand lotion (travel size)
    * Aloe vera gel (travel size)
    * 3 nail polish remover pad
    * Tampons or pads if you are the type to bleed occasionally

CatBoy on
    <+Djiem|HKO> Woah
    <+Djiem|HKO> Hello Kitty is brutal
    <+Djiem|HKO> A starfish just raped my ass
    <+Gilles> you deserved it
  • Options
    de4dmeta1de4dmeta1 Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    PAX Wisdom #1: You don't need a car for downtown Seattle

This really can't be stressed enough, to be honest. Myself and some fellow Enforcers did a walkabout of the WSCTC and surrounds before last PAX, and found no less that 3 separate malls with all their shindiggery, plus dozens of establishments catering to just about any need the discerning PAX-goer may require. Banks, food, toiletries, pharmacies, clothes (in case your pants explode or something equally wtf) plus about 3.14^n things I've forgotten to mention are /all/ within walking distance of PAX. Granted, some things are closer than others (Cheesecake Factory/Gameworks ftw), but even the least active of our merry band will have a gamut of things avaiable to them.

Now, that being said...

PAX Wisdom #2: Cargo Pants, and Your Hotel-Room-Sized Backpack
    If there's something (or multiple somethings) you absolutely /must/ have with you during PAX, you may want to consider bringing along some cargo pants, or some other similar articles of clothing. I rocked cargos and big-pocketed jeans during PAX for all my must-have-on-mes, and I can't recommend it enough. Makes navigating crowds a hell of a lot easier (a lot harder to accidentally hit someone in the head with your shins), almost impossible to leave it somewhere and have it stepped on, and it avoids the other maladies associated with large bags. Then again, if you have something that demands a bag - say, a laptop, guitar hero whatnot - then by all means have at it! Just try to consider how you can carry around what you need - your back will thank you for it when PAX is over.

One thing that really should be made clear about the area around the WSCTC - the hotels are a lot closer than you think. Really. I timed myself from the lobby of the Sheraton to the Tabletop area of PAX - total travel time was less than five minutes, on foot. Now, unless you managed to book a room at the King's Inn by the Space Needle, or something equally far away, seriously consider using your hotel room as a backpack/swag bag. You'll not only save yourself lugging around all that swag for /all/ of PAX, but you'll free space for more swag!! I guess you could wander around unburdened as well.
    Regardless of whether you fill your room to the brim with swag, or just free up your back from that one pack of stuff, it's an option that shouldn't go unconsidered.

de4dmeta1 on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Adding on to PAX Wisdom #2: If you're a girl, or you just don't like cargo pants, consider a slim messenger bag/manbag, or a secure travel bag for all your important stuff. Some travel bags are slim enough that they can be worn over the shoulder or around the waste and tuck into clothing to be completely concealed. I used a concealed bag all last year to hold money, credit cards, ID, keys, tampon etc. and had my hands free for gaming/Enforcing/whatever, and it's completely comfortable. If you still have more stuff to carry, i.e. DS, camera, loot for signing in Bandland, the small messenger bag comes in really handy and doesn't tend to smack people in the face as much as a backpack; plus it's WAY easier to maneuver a crowd without the bulk. So: cargo pants, purse, manbag, concealed travel bag, use your hotel room as a treasure cave.

Liger on
  • Options
    whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Second addendum to Wisdom #2...Two: BYOC seat = swag storage area. Granted, it's not quite as secure as your hotel room (especially if you're using the swag bags given out during PAX), but my BYOC seat became my 4-6 person party's Bag of Holding. Considering our sleeping area was in the University District, which isn't exactly a five minute jaunt away, this was quite convenient.

whypick1 on
    Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • Options
    SirSchweinSirSchwein Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I have a question:

Let's say I have a Munchkin deck, or a Catan board, and I would like to play either game while at PAX. Should I bring either, or would the "big ol' pile a board games" I've heard about cover these?

SirSchwein on
  • Options
    Pat McRotchPat McRotch Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I would like to give out my props to planning ahead!

My group decided to go to PAX in June. We did not know what we were getting into! None of us had really saved up (hell, I was job-less) so we could not afford a hotel. We had to settle for a motel of the 6 variety. It was located in Sea-Tac. That did give us the advantage of being close to Best Buy and Ikea, but it was a long way from the convention center and parking was HELL! We did drive, but I did not find out about the CCST until it was too late. D:

I do highly suggest BYOC. It was soo worth it. It was nice to have a spot to keep your swag, act as a meeting place, chill out at, and meet some interesting people. Oh yeah, playing the games was fun too. If your lazy like me then you will definitely appreciate them piping in the feed from the concert hall over Ventrilo!

So, think ahead and plan accordingly. That's about it.

Pat McRotch on
    xPat+McR0tch.png
    patmcrotch.png
  • Options
    Sl1pstreamSl1pstream [E] BelgiumRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Taxi is around $20 (22 if I remember correctly), from the airport to the Sheraton.

Sl1pstream on
  • Options
    KaitouAyashiKaitouAyashi Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Adding on to PAX Wisdom #2: If you're a girl, or you just don't like cargo pants, consider a slim messenger bag/manbag, or a secure travel bag for all your important stuff. Some travel bags are slim enough that they can be worn over the shoulder or around the waste and tuck into clothing to be completely concealed. I used a concealed bag all last year to hold money, credit cards, ID, keys, tampon etc. and had my hands free for gaming/Enforcing/whatever, and it's completely comfortable. If you still have more stuff to carry, i.e. DS, camera, loot for signing in Bandland, the small messenger bag comes in really handy and doesn't tend to smack people in the face as much as a backpack; plus it's WAY easier to maneuver a crowd without the bulk. So: cargo pants, purse, manbag, concealed travel bag, use your hotel room as a treasure cave.

Big WORD to this. I rocked the messenger bag last year and never had a want for space. Much easier to carry, keep track of, and navigate crowds while wearing. Plus very unlikely to open without your knowledge, spilling the contents. We used my BYOC space for swag-dumping, then moved piles of swag to the hotel periodically (we were at the Paramount, no more than 5 minutes, and most of that was getting OUT of the WSCTC). On Sunday morning, we packed up the car and checked out - leaving the car at the hotel until we broke down our BYOC station that afternoon. We bypassed a LOT of traffic this way.

KaitouAyashi on
    [15:02] BigRed-Worky: i will nom all of your boxes
    [15:02] Tajah: I like you BR but I'm not letting you nom my box
    [15:02] BigRed-Worky: Did I mention I hate you all? cause i do
    PAX Twitter Shitter~*~ Retired Bar Liaison: 2nd, 3rd, & 4th Annual Triwizard Drinking Tournament~*~
  • Options
    EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    CatBoy wrote: »

4. ANTIPERSPIRANT (If you don't bring and use this, don't be surprised when people start edging away from you in packed rooms and theaters. Don't forget the strange looks and cringed noses you'll begin to see.)

Deodorant makes you smell good, ANTIPERSPIRANT assists in the sweating department. You'll want the latter or a combo.

Here's a bonus hint: Hotels usually accommodate holding on to your luggage if you're checking out on Sunday for a couple hours. This is good times if you have to check out at noon Sunday, but want to attend until the very end.

EvilBadman on
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    I should note that Badman is fucking awesome
    XBL- Evil Badman; Steam- EvilBadman; Twitter - EvilBadman
  • Options
    mare_imbriummare_imbrium Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    This will be our (my husband and I) first time to PAX. When booking the hotel under the PAX block, which days do they allow you to book? Is it Thurs-Sun only, Thurs-Mon, or more? We were thinking about staying an extra day or two to see the area and were wondering if we would need to book those days separately.

mare_imbrium on
    v2zAToe.jpg
    Wii: 4521 1146 5179 1333 Pearl: 3394 4642 8367 HG: 1849 3913 3132
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited January 2008
    I've booked Thursday afternoon check-in to Monday morning check-out with the PAX rate for three years running.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    ArdorArdor Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Are there any suggested retaurants or eating establishments in the area that others would recommend for any reason?

I plan on attending this year for the first time and I've never been to Seattle before, so I just wanted to hear from some of you on places I should look into for eating.

Ardor on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    There are tons of places to eat in downtown Seattle. We found that poking around Pike's Place Market for breakfast yielded positive results.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    Arithon32Arithon32 Member of the Pinquisition Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Last year being my first trip to PAX, my friend and I didn't venture too far away from the convention center. But there was a pub about three blocks away that had great food. Ate there every night other than the Pre-PAX dinner at Chang's.

Arithon32 on
    vru37z14gk5j.png

• Options
    edited January 2008
    There's an AWESOME shop down at Pike's Place Market that sells 2 hombows and a coke for $5.

Also, the first Starbuck's is down there. A most excellent tourist trap. The logo still has nipples!

Liger on
  • Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Ardor wrote: »
    Are there any suggested retaurants or eating establishments in the area that others would recommend for any reason?

I plan on attending this year for the first time and I've never been to Seattle before, so I just wanted to hear from some of you on places I should look into for eating.

Dick's is a good for a fast food burger and damn cheap but you get what the menu says and they won't give a fuck if you want your burger without Ketchup and Tomatoes

The Taphouse(think that's what it is called) is a great bar/grill type restaurant and once someone finds a pic of all the beers then you can see why they are just awesome.

Topolinos is really awesome for pizza place but they are a mile and a half away from PAX and I think we are outside their delivery range as well.

For the lazy there is a Cheesecake Factory right across the street from PAX but you can probably expect that to be a bit crowded.

The convention center itself got some places inside including a Subway.

TNTrooper on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    two Subways, one inside and one outside and one of them (at least) still managed to run out of bread on friday, I believe on saturday, the guy got there at 4am to start making bread, being quoted saying "I'm not getting caught off guard again."

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    _______moe wrote: »
    two Subways, one inside and one outside and one of them (at least) still managed to run out of bread on friday, I believe on saturday, the guy got there at 4am to start making bread, being quoted saying "I'm not getting caught off guard again."

NEVER underestimate hungry gamers.

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • Options
    yoshamanoyoshamano The fuck is this. The fuck was that. Marshall, Soviet MichiganRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    On the subject of food. Breakfast was the hardest meal to find. It seemed like nothing around the convention center was open for breakfast (aside from the hotel restaurants, which to hell with them) except for a place called The Corner Bakery (I'm pretty sure that was the name of it). It had good food of the lighter variety, but I really was hoping for some usual breakfast food.

The Cheesecake Factory may be for the lazy, but I'll be damned if it isn't some good food (albeit chain restaurant food). Probably the best meal we had because we spent as much time as possible at PAX itself.

yoshamano on
    pa_forums_sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    There's also a delicious crepe stand down by the outdoor Subway, and there is a small restaurant and bar at GameWorks not too far away. Their food is good, but their service really depends on who you get hosting you at the time.

Liger on
  • Options
    yoshamanoyoshamano The fuck is this. The fuck was that. Marshall, Soviet MichiganRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    A small crew of us went to GameWorks one night for food, but decided that the prices were horrible and settled on delivery pizza instead.

yoshamano on
    pa_forums_sig.jpg
  • Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I'm still trying to fathom how a Subway in a convention center could not realize the demand. Do other conventions not eat Subway or something?

ASimPerson on
  • Options
    DreamwriterDreamwriter Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Other conventions aren't made up of the stereotypical fast-food-loving gamer :) But Subway wasn't the only one to have food supply issues, the veggie hotdog place a block away also ran out of stuff.

The Crepe place is good for breakfast, as long as you aren't eating *too* early (and as they only have two hotplates, and often only one person manning them, you could be waiting in long lines there during PAX). As well, you could always do Starbucks (they got breakfast sandwiches there). And there are a couple places at Pike Place Market (I always hear someone talking about getting waffles there).

Dreamwriter on
  • Options
    ElectricTurtleElectricTurtle Seeress WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Other conventions aren't made up of the stereotypical fast-food-loving gamer :) But Subway wasn't the only one to have food supply issues, the veggie hotdog place a block away also ran out of stuff.

The Crepe place is good for breakfast, as long as you aren't eating *too* early (and as they only have two hotplates, and often only one person manning them, you could be waiting in long lines there during PAX). As well, you could always do Starbucks (they got breakfast sandwiches there). And there are a couple places at Pike Place Market (I always hear someone talking about getting waffles there).

Pretty much every place in a block radius gets reamed. I stood in line at the pizza place downstairs for like 45 min waiting for just two slices. It took that long just to make two pizzas.
    There's an AWESOME shop down at Pike's Place Market that sells 2 hombows and a coke for $5.

Also, the first Starbuck's is down there. A most excellent tourist trap. The logo still has nipples!

That would be the Mee Sum Bakery, which as a hombow connoisseur, is a bit mediocre in that department (go to China Gate, Honey Court, or House of Hong for dim sum. Now those are some goddamn good hombows), but their crab rangoon is the best I know of. If you want better things stuffed into pastry at the market, keep going north to Piroshky Piroshky. OMG. I mean seriously. No place I know makes better savory foods stuffed into pastry.
    TNTrooper wrote: »
    Dick's

Yes. However, IMO, if you want the best MFin' burger in the region, find your way to Maggie Bluff's. A friend of mine (from OUT OF STATE no less) only just introduced me to it last year. I could not believe I'd lived here for 20 non-consecutive years and never knew about it.

ElectricTurtle on
    yfrxgugaj8wu.png
  • Options
    SoupsSoups Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    There's also a delicious crepe stand down by the outdoor Subway, and there is a small restaurant and bar at GameWorks not too far away. Their food is good, but their service really depends on who you get hosting you at the time.

Speaking of GameWorks, is it any good? Like, would it be worth my time to stop over there if there's a period of PAX I'm not really interested in or if I need to get some fresh air/food/see something besides WSCTC?

I guess what I'm asking is WHAT IS IT

Soups on
    DitchTheJock.png
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Soups wrote: »

Speaking of GameWorks, is it any good? Like, would it be worth my time to stop over there if there's a period of PAX I'm not really interested in or if I need to get some fresh air/food/see something besides WSCTC?

I guess what I'm asking is WHAT IS IT

Gameworks is the largest arcade in the state. I'm really not an arcade guy, I only go there when my wife demands to play Sky Pirates. (Which is a fairly big vertical movement game. You're tied to a hot air balloon that fights others by droping on them and collecting power ups. The seats go up I think like 40+ feet.)

They're also doing some huge remodel which will lead to I don't know what.

ElectricTurtle on
    yfrxgugaj8wu.png
  • Options
    SoupsSoups Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Hmm. I always thought of arcades as money pits. But hey, if they've got a bar, I'm there.

Soups on
    DitchTheJock.png
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Hmm. I always thought of arcades as money pits. But hey, if they've got a bar, I'm there.

Generally I'd agree with you, there's a lot of games that are shameless money siphons, asking for 4-6 quarters per game and killing you off pretty quickly.

But then there's the 2 screen, 6-player X-Men. That kind of game redeems arcades. You can play through that whole game on three quarters if you have some competent co-players. =)

And admittedly, though it's one of those "quarter siphoning" games, I always liked... shoot, I can't find its name. Maybe you guys know it. It was a rail shooter where you're on a helicopter, and the gun you used was this ENORMOUS railgun that you had to hold with both hands to keep steady on the pivot it was mounted on. If I remember correctly, the premise of the game was that you were in a police helicopter flying through a big city, and shooting bad guys (I think they were robots... when you hit one, they'd explode in a halo of light). Anyways, whatever game that was, it was awesome dispite the quarter-munchiness.

VThornheart on
  • Options
    SnickersSnickers Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Generally I'd agree with you, there's a lot of games that are shameless money siphons, asking for 4-6 quarters per game and killing you off pretty quickly.

Luckily, they don't use quarters. They use a game card that looks somewhat like a credit card. Some games are kinda expensive though. One thing we found out last year is that on Thursday night, after 9 PM, they have a $10 free play until closing time.

Snickers on
    <@frellnik&gt; and suddenly, Snickers
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Gameworks is a 2-story arcade with full restaurant and bar on the upper floor. Arcade games from all eras, including a section to win tickets and redeem them for cheezy prizes. The food is pretty good, but the service can suck sometimes. The bar is a bar. It has booze. It's also in a more separate section of the upper floor that's roped off for 21+, but still has a kickass view of the whole facility.

The hombows in Pike Place are good. I'm not a hombow snob, but they're not crap azn food either. Not to mention the price is easy and right, so I stick by Mee Sum. There are a lot of other places in Pike Place to get food, I just remember that one in particular because it was tasty and filling.

If you're not a Starbucks fan and still want coffee, there is Tully's, Seattle's Best (owned by Starbucks but different flavor), and looooots of smaller local stuff that brew an excellent cuppa.

Liger on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Snickers wrote: »

Luckily, they don't use quarters. They use a game card that looks somewhat like a credit card. Some games are kinda expensive though. One thing we found out last year is that on Thursday night, after 9 PM, they have a $10 free play until closing time.

When's their closing time? If it's no earlier than midnight, that's a good deal... and I'm definitely going. =)

VThornheart on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    The hombows in Pike Place are good. I'm not a hombow snob, but they're not crap azn food either. Not to mention the price is easy and right, so I stick by Mee Sum. There are a lot of other places in Pike Place to get food, I just remember that one in particular because it was tasty and filling.

The question I would ask is, have you ever even had (good) dim sum? If not, you really need a frame of reference before you can write off the comparison. Seattle's hidden treasures aren't going to come to anybody, people have to go and find them. I keep trying to get people to discover the international district. Everybody goes to Pike Place, and I love it too, but people need to mix it up.

ElectricTurtle on
    yfrxgugaj8wu.png
  • Options
    SnickersSnickers Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    When's their closing time? If it's no earlier than midnight, that's a good deal... and I'm definitely going. =)

Friday and Saturday its 1 AM, all other days its midnight.

Its a fun thing to do before and after the Dinner, Movie Raids, and other things that go on that Thursday.

Snickers on
    <@frellnik&gt; and suddenly, Snickers
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Cool!

Hey, speaking of which... I think I asked this in another thread, but no one spoke up.

What IS the "Movie Raids"? An impromptu flooding of nearby theaters? Crowding into a hotel room to watch DVDs? I'm curious =)

VThornheart on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Cool!

Hey, speaking of which... I think I asked this in another thread, but no one spoke up.

What IS the "Movie Raids"? An impromptu flooding of nearby theaters? Crowding into a hotel room to watch DVDs? I'm curious =)

The idea behind the movie raid is selecting a cheesy movie and then dumping 100+ PAXers into a showing at a theater and MST3K-ing it. Last year didn't go well though, a lot of people got kicked out, so we'll probably find a way not to impinge upon the unwashed normies with whatever we do this year.

ElectricTurtle on
    yfrxgugaj8wu.png
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Cool!

The idea behind the movie raid is selecting a cheesy movie and then dumping 100+ PAXers into a showing at a theater and MST3K-ing it. Last year didn't go well though, a lot of people got kicked out, so we'll probably find a way not to impinge upon the unwashed normies with whatever we do this year.

Aww, d'oh. =(

Maybe we could arrange for a private screening? I mean, if we got enough people to do it I bet a theater'd go for it... I mean, it's not often that a theater is promised to have a full house for a showing of a particularly bad movie.

In fact, I think I remember a theater in our area advertising that you could reserve space for a private screening... if that idea already has traction in the Seattle area, I bet we could reserve a space. Dunno how much it would cost though.

VThornheart on
This discussion has been closed.