As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Quit your [job] thread

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Flarne wrote: »
    My favorite Swedish word like this is "banan". It means either "the path/track/course" or "banana" depending on pronounciation.

I don't think those even count as pitch accent words, those are separate pronunciations, and they're not very subtle in their difference.

Now, pitched words like "åker"... check the one at 0:35 here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66fULfwb2X4

• Options
    expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    No matter how many covid tests I take I simply can't relax completely like they want me too.

Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    It is now almost 4:30 in the morning on a Sunday, approximately 12 hours before I leave for my next shift and I am incredulous (again) at the brazen bullshit displayed by my coworker and the total lack of leadership and necessary discipline shown by my GM and KM.

Coworker called out sick on Thursday, thought he was covid-positive, called out this morning, got tested, showed up on this evening's (Saturday's) shift to pay for beers and shots, eat for free and enjoy tonight's semi-pro UFC match for free as well.

He is a fucking loathsome cunt motherfucking bastard lazy ass slack willed piece of shit.

Memorial Hermann Hospital Systems here in Houston has contracted the services of a staffing company that serves 70 different countries ... and they're looking for staff in the area.

Maybe two more weeks to make sure the car payments and insurance are stable, the mortgage is good and bills are current ... a month at the most for a nail in a tire or something ...

And look at that, I could transfer back to somewhere in Dallas.

We don't have any facilities in Houston or Dallas, but if you applied to work at one of our hospitals in Austin or (shudder) Waco, I'd totally be an internal reference for you.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FlarneFlarne Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    Flarne wrote: »
    My favorite Swedish word like this is "banan". It means either "the path/track/course" or "banana" depending on pronounciation.

I don't think those even count as pitch accent words, those are separate pronunciations, and they're not very subtle in their difference.

Now, pitched words like "åker"... check the one at 0:35 here.

Probably true yeah. I'm from Roslagen where the local accent is just grumpy old islanders mispronouncing everything to fuck with summerhouse owners from Stockholm, so it's hard to know what's what sometimes.

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Last night I had a dream that I somehow inherited a billion dollars and I hired all of you at an excellent pay rate but you were your avatars so the lounge was run by Darth Vader, a lady blood elf was helping run operations, and there was like 5 dudes with that Oglaf face.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Bucketman wrote: »
    Last night I had a dream that I somehow inherited a billion dollars and I hired all of you at an excellent pay rate but you were your avatars so the lounge was run by Darth Vader, a lady blood elf was helping run operations, and there was like 5 dudes with that Oglaf face.

Hey, you can't beat the hivemind for efficiency and coordination.

• Options
    Curly_BraceCurly_Brace Robot Girl Mimiga VillageRegistered User regular
    I think about half the temp-taking dudes at our entrance don't give a care :/

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular

I sure hope you had Commander Shepard maintaining your servers!

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    Whee, it's benefits renewal time! Costs are going up and coverage remains the same anemic garbage!

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »

I sure hope you had Commander Shepard maintaining your servers!

Servers? No, you were Renegade Security.

• Options
    Teacher wants a projector. For teaching at home. I'm confused and ask if she means a document camera.

"Yes, a classroom projector. I am going to buy a whiteboard for my wall and want to be able to project slides onto it and then write on those slides."

We have software that you could present your screen with and then annotate over the top of it using your touchscreen 2n1 tablet chromebook thing. We have doc cams that you can present in a google Meet with too if that's your style. But instead I bet the teacher will ignore all my warnings about how tiny and incredibly hard to see that will be, insist on a projector, and then complain that her students are all whining about how small and incredibly hard to see the projected slide is.

Steam
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular

Everybody always forgets engineering support...

• Options
    KadithKadith Registered User regular
    i thought my job was doing a bad job at potential covid exposure

based on my girlfriend's experience the local school district is doing way worse.

🤞 her test tomorrow is negative.

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    Had some full-on sleep paralysis hallucinations in the middle of the night last night, in bed looking over at my PC desk but seeing it was the printing press at work, and I was stressing out over how nothing could get done and why wasn't I able to move to do anything.

After probably around two hours of this escalating stress I finally realize what's going on and force myself up to break the hallucinations, get some actual proper sleep afterward, and roll on out to work on maybe three hours of actual sleep.

Having to slam on my brakes after rounding a corner and seeing a downed tree 20 yards away woke me up though.

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    So this week I am starting the third of three classes I am taking this October (French and Digital Design, which I have already started, with Interior Design to start Thursday)

The most shocking thing to me has been that the last few weeks have revealed my Engineering Study Brain skill is still in there somewhere

I'll start a series of exercises or a studio project and then suddenly it's 5 hours later and I have tunnel visioned a thing into being

I kind of assumed I wouldn't be able to channel that level of single-minded focus anymore from lack of practice/school structure, but I guess it's just that I hadn't taken any interesting courses in a long time??

The drawback is that I have a hard time doing *anything else* when I've started a thing, especially if I should take a break but can't convince myself to do it, but the pro is that I'm getting all my work done well in advance and putting some real effort in

Gonna be a busy month with these classes but a super productive one as far as picking up employable skills goes, hopefully!

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    The answer to my previous post turns out to be 1230 after a very vivid dream involving a colossal prison cruise ship, the literal apocalypse, fantasy world adventurers who were also YouTube personalities, corporate behemoths stretching beyond time and space, and gobs of snack foods.

I'm curious if I had a role there.

• Options
    Facilities: Hey we have to close the building 2 hours early today, so you gotta be outta here in an hour so we can shut everything and get out. Can you leave work today 3 hours early?

Me already halfway out the door while comically grabbing my things as fast as possible: Oh shucks! Yeah, it'll be tough but I'll make it work. I can rearrange some *DOOR SLAM*

Steam
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Cello wrote: »
    So this week I am starting the third of three classes I am taking this October (French and Digital Design, which I have already started, with Interior Design to start Thursday)

The most shocking thing to me has been that the last few weeks have revealed my Engineering Study Brain skill is still in there somewhere

I'll start a series of exercises or a studio project and then suddenly it's 5 hours later and I have tunnel visioned a thing into being

I kind of assumed I wouldn't be able to channel that level of single-minded focus anymore from lack of practice/school structure, but I guess it's just that I hadn't taken any interesting courses in a long time??

The drawback is that I have a hard time doing *anything else* when I've started a thing, especially if I should take a break but can't convince myself to do it, but the pro is that I'm getting all my work done well in advance and putting some real effort in

Gonna be a busy month with these classes but a super productive one as far as picking up employable skills goes, hopefully!

I was thinking about taking some classes this fall as community college but I held off because of how weird the world is right now.

I should have gone for it.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Doodmann wrote: »
    Cello wrote: »

I was thinking about taking some classes this fall as community college but I held off because of how weird the world is right now.

I should have gone for it.

Worth looking anyway! All of the continuing education classes I've been taking are 6 week ones delivered virtually. Might be some starting in October with spaces left, like my Interior Design one!

Cello on
    Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    We just got offered a federal grant to build out to like 40 homes for a cool million

maybe people are actually starting to try to solve the broadband problem in this country....

also we almost missed the grant op because my partner in crime for applying left to better pastures and we shut off her email permantently a week before they finally decided to award to us.

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    We just closed a deal to supply about 6.5M gallons of fuel to a customer over the next year. It's by far the biggest customer we've won since I took over pricing. And this was basically Plan B for volume, but it looks like Plan A will come off as well (fingers crossed, knock on wood, throw salt into the eyes of someone), which could actually position us pretty well for the next year.

Apart from the bit where Covid-19 is killing the business, obviously.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    We have a big meeting with the customer tomorrow.
    We're having tons of problems with the environment today. Unfortunately, we were waiting for the customer to do things in an environment so that we could copy the settings.
    And since we're having problems, it's just taking tons of time.

I have a feeling it's going to be a very late night again.

At least it's not 7.5 hours of meetings!

• Options
    mcpmcp Registered User regular
    Office 365 fell on it's face apparently

Welp. I'm going home.

• Options
    mcp wrote: »

Welp. I'm going home.

But I'm already home

and glad we don't leverage them for our actual email so I can send the company wide message "yeah it's fucked ¯\_(ツ)_/¯"

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    edited September 2020

Welp. I'm going home.

Seems like Microsoft's whole authentication stack is down. There's some engineers in Redmond having a very bad evening

Carpy on
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Carpy wrote: »

Welp. I'm going home.

Seems like Microsoft's whole authentication stack is down. There's some engineers in Redmond having a very bad evening

This explains a lot of my post 4:30 confusion

Also boy I hope they get it fixed before 9am

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I think about half the temp-taking dudes at our entrance don't give a care :/

I think so few people do it where I work as there is no line {it's way over in garden center you have to get a survey done and get your temp checked most I feel don't do it for various reasons like bravado or the peer presure from the nurgle cult some of them refuse to wear masks}

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Oghulk wrote: »
    Carpy wrote: »

Welp. I'm going home.

This explains a lot of my post 4:30 confusion

Also boy I hope they get it fixed before 9am

It's very broken!

I'm delaying about half of my work to tomorrow in the hope that it's fixed.

I can't even close outlook. It just badings at me.

• Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    So I'm realizing today how much stuff my company runs through Microsoft programs. I can't communicate with my team leader at all except through voice-mail at this point.

Sat at my work from home setup watching Legion waiting for a callback. Still nothing.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    All of my school district is through Office 365 so hopefully it’ll still be broken tomorrow so we can’t have class/work.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    I suppose since there's no such thing as snow days anymore, this is all children have left to hope for. I assume this will result in tech companies facing a fascinating assortment of young hackers over the next decade or so.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Interesting. We haven't been disrupted at all, but I have no idea if that's because we're on some special essential services stack, or some alternate self-governed fauthentication solution, or what.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    I sure wish I could afford to actually quit my job and be at home tutoring my kids full-time because oh boy is this distance learning not being handled well by my inlaws

Janson on
  • Options
    PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    Well, my dumbass state is re-opening bars and restaurants to full capacity so shows are going to start back up and my boss is asking what my availability is. Not sure if I should just fucking quit at this point because they've shown zero concern or ability to put human lives before profit or if I should take as many shows as possible to ensure that idiots are at least wearing their masks when they try to win $5 worth of Bingo prizes.

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    My district is moving away from Office (traditional not 365) in favor of Google.

I was the childrens favorite person when there was a Google issue last week and none of the kids could do work with anything connected to Drive or class via Meet. They had an official email from me saying "Shit's fucked, you can't do anything, check your email every 15 minutes and I'll let you know when shit has been officially unfucked and attendance matters again."

Of course, about 70 minutes later I became their least favorite person. Children are fickle creatures.

Steam
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    My wonderfully organized and totally on the ball at all times employer implemented a new time keeping software recently.

It is such a clusterfuck

I am personally owed thousands of dollars and the problems, they ain't fixed. Outlook on problems getting fixed is ????

One problem among many with it is it somehow greatly extends the time that it takes for people's schedules to be adjusted. It used to take like, a day, maybe even same day, to get a "shift change" worked into your schedule. Now it takes weeks. Our collective bargaining agreement stipulates that the employer has to pay us penalty wages if they don't give proper notice for shift changes (at least 7 days written notice). The new time keeping software.... has no way to implement these payments.

So the software is both CAUSING huge penalty wages to be required to be issued to employees by our contract, and also no way of also making those payments actually happen. The company at least has not disputed in any way that employees are owed, just not sure when they will actually get their shit together and pay out.

I think it might work great for people who work like 40 hour weeks, m-f. But people with fucked up shift schedules like me? This is completely botched. It doesn't even have our start and end times listed properly, they are offset for half an hour because ???? But it doesn't allow us to amend them with our actual start and end times, because then it decides that I actually wanted 30 mins vacation and look at that, also 30 minutes of OT this shift. OH and when you certify the time sheet it has some legalese statement that is like "I acknowledge that I worked these listed hours under penalty of blah blah blah blah blah"

such a fucking joke

• Options
    ani_game_bumani_game_bum Optimistic, Rule-Breaking Nice Guy The Final World/DestinationRegistered User regular
    Kid #2 and I got our job-paid-for flu jab earlier today. Wasn't required by my job to get but figure I should limit my chances on getting sick this year for free and #2 is going to move to hybrid mode for school in another week so more sick shields the better. Mrs. Bum and Kid #1 are getting theirs jabs soon due to work or school mandate.

steam_sig.pngPSN: ani_game_bum Battle.net ID: Anigamebum#1354 Genshin UID: 660694297 Switch FC: SW-2127-8288-6505 Steam Wishlist
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    Qualifications:
    • Founder-like fire, characteristics; 5x output normal employee

This is a "FinTech payments/blockchain company... in stealth mode."

just

please, no

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    we need some kind of automated drone strike on anyone who types that kind of sentence unironically.
    Talk about crimes against humanity.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    MrMonroe wrote: »
    Qualifications:
    • Founder-like fire, characteristics; 5x output normal employee

This is a "FinTech payments/blockchain company... in stealth mode."

just

please, no

"You gonna pay me five times the going rate? No? Then fuck off."

(bet they want to pay in crypto-bucks, too.)

Commander Zoom on
This discussion has been closed.