As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Adventures in Lordran - or tales of brave Sir Onion

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    No such thing as a crutch if it works! Lame that shit out

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    I mean yeah, but the thing with the axe spin is that it works for a while, but then it doesn't, and now you have to learn how to dodge at a much harder point in the game.

cB557 on
  • Options
    cB557 wrote: »
    I mean yeah, but the thing with the axe spin is that it works for a while, but then it doesn't, and now you have to learn how to dodge at a much harder point in the game.

you can spin to win for pretty much the entire base game

every single boss

• Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    I also think spin to win is boring

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Peas wrote: »
    Dark Souls III Bonewheel Skeleton vs Nameless King 1:15
    https://youtu.be/rRhrVNHTG8Q

what I want to know is, who would win if they were both using AI

in bloodborne news, I've encountered my first real beef with this game, and as anyone could have guessed, it's blood vials, which are fine, until they suddenly aren't, and it sucks, it sucks rull bad

(otherwise it's a neat game that I'm enjoying a lot)

Shorty on
  • Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Hmmm I made a tactical error and I'm doing new lando without the fire link bonfire

Oops

The Cow King on
    icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    Making blood vials finite was such a bonehead move.

04xkcuvaav19.png
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Tip with early cane is use the r2 in whip mode, not the R1. R1 is good if you need a quick bit of damage, but R2 actually stuns enemies.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Blood Vials should have just been restocked whenever you rested

Grinding for them was wank. It's my biggest problem with Bloodbourne. And it would have been so easy to fix! So easy!

• Options
    AshcroftAshcroft LOL The PayloadRegistered User regular
    If they are doing a remaster, like the rumors say, they should just make any enemy have a good chance to drop a blood vial if their normal drop doesn't drop, and have bosses drop like 20 of them. Just, massively overstock you so that they're no longer an issue.

ZD98Zka.png
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Ashcroft wrote: »
    If they are doing a remaster, like the rumors say, they should just make any enemy have a good chance to drop a blood vial if their normal drop doesn't drop, and have bosses drop like 20 of them. Just, massively overstock you so that they're no longer an issue.

Oh good gods, if there is one, I hope it comes for PC

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    Pretty sure the thought process was to encourage you to not do the souls style hang back and heal up but instead go for damage to regain some of your lost health. To encourage aggression.

Of course nobody really plays like that when they're having difficulties they just hang back and stab their leg all day, then run out.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    AshcroftAshcroft LOL The PayloadRegistered User regular
    If that's really their reason for replacing estus, they did a bad job.

The rally effect is just too short compared to how long some of the enemies can combo. It's ok in some cases, but most of the time, you're going to eat another hit if you try to attack right after taking a hit.

ZD98Zka.png
  • Options
    Blood vials are flawed because if you're good at the game then having your storage run out isn't a problem, if you're bad at the game you spend way to long doing mindless farming just to be able to try progressing again. It's just compound punishment that doesn't add to the experience or encourage desired behaviour, there's pretty much no plus side to it.

I like how enemies can drop vials, that was really rewarding on my first playthrough when it allowed me to push forward just that little bit more. But you could just do a baseline 20 for vial refill at lanterns and still have drops in there for that.

Steam ID
  • Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Also maybe automatic pick up without the game telling you you’ve picked them up? Because yes I want them and no I don’t need you to tell me about blood vials.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    shorty the best bet for blood vials is to go to the highest level area you can farm reliably, and take all those blood echoes and just buy vials. always be buying blood vials with left over echoes after leveling (or sometimes skip a level up round and buy a few hundred vials)

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    That's what I do. Can't get that last level? Blood vials baby. It allows for quite a few bad runs on bosses if you do this consistently.

I will say this. It does suck to have to farm vials. I completely understand. But I genuinely love that they're not magically handed to you, but instead are a precious resource you need to scrounge out of the ashes and terror of Yarnham, the city that went mad for magic healing blood. And here you are, coming along after, and oh look, you too are scrabbling for the magic blood. Wherever you can get it. Slaughtering citizens and beasts just to get some more blood. Buying it whenever you can. Constantly injecting it into yourself and then desperately needing more.

Like the blood mad half beast druggie you are.

It matches perfectly.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    Naphtali wrote: »
    shorty the best bet for blood vials is to go to the highest level area you can farm reliably, and take all those blood echoes and just buy vials. always be buying blood vials with left over echoes after leveling (or sometimes skip a level up round and buy a few hundred vials)

killing the shreks in upper yarnham near the shortcut elevator reliably and quickly is honestly the fastest I've found

they each drop 3

• Options
    one of the many things I like about bloodborne is that the values on your clothes are basically irrelevant, you can pretty much just wear whatever you think is coolest, as it should be

• Options
    Didn't launch Bloodborne also have storage for vials capped at 99? Then they patched it to up that to 999, which yeah was better if you only get stumped at the occasional boss but pretty far from a full fix.

Remember those launch load times with the blank screen?

Steam ID
  • Options
    Shorty wrote: »
    one of the many things I like about bloodborne is that the values on your clothes are basically irrelevant, you can pretty much just wear whatever you think is coolest, as it should be

eh

they aren't relevant until they are extremely relevant

particularly, frenzy resist with mother brain/winter lanterns and high physical resist in chalice dungeons/some scary bosses

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    Didn't launch Bloodborne also have storage for vials capped at 99? Then they patched it to up that to 999, which yeah was better if you only get stumped at the occasional boss but pretty far from a full fix.

cap is only 600 now but yeah it was originally 99 and it was actual hell

• Options

eh

particularly, frenzy resist with mother brain/winter lanterns and high physical resist in chalice dungeons/some scary bosses
    choir garb let my BL4 dude survive a call beyond from micolash, which was fortunate because he did 10 of them before going down

• Options

eh

Fire resist versus cursed watchdog. Wearing a max full fire resist set (which I think was the raggedy old yarnham clothes) is the only way to not get one shot by several attacks.

• Options
    Elendil wrote: »

cap is only 600 now but yeah it was originally 99 and it was actual hell

launch bloodborne was clearly pushed out to early cause fucking boy those load times

• Options
    mosssnackmosssnack Yeah right, man, Bishop should go! Good idea!Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Oh dang I just snagged the blade of mercy. What a snappy move set

mosssnack on
    XBL: mosssnack12
    bnet: moss*1454
  • Options
    GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »

killing the shreks in upper yarnham near the shortcut elevator reliably and quickly is honestly the fastest I've found

they each drop 3

The beasts on the Cathedral Bridge also drop three each, you can run from the lantern, kill the two beasts, go through the spooky house to get to the two guys you mentioned, rinse repeat

04xkcuvaav19.png
  • Options
    that's good for the early game but once you hit midgame and can fairly easily get 15-20k souls, just buy the things. absolutely smokes farming drops in terms of what you get. pop a couple of your bigger coldbloods, sell off weapons you can't use if you want a quick infusion of a lot of echoes. it gets ridiculous if you do a quick farm run in the last area, one pass through the area is worth like, 100+ vials.

• Options
    that's good for the early game but once you hit midgame and can fairly easily get 15-20k souls, just buy the things. absolutely smokes farming drops in terms of what you get. pop a couple of your bigger coldbloods, sell off weapons you can't use if you want a quick infusion of a lot of echoes. it gets ridiculous if you do a quick farm run in the last area, one pass through the area is worth like, 100+ vials.

blood vial costs increase with your lvl pretty significantly

• Options
    edited September 2020

blood vial costs increase with your lvl pretty significantly

not in comparison to the sheer echoes you can pull in with some farming areas. ten minutes time in those areas >>>>> ten minutes on the shreks or whatever else place.

3w4es6yspsnq.png

For reference. Even with his 20k example, and after rom, that's 27. It does not take long to get 20k by mid game.

There's a farming area in the chalice dungeons I try to get to roughly halfway through a playthrough because there's a single room where you can easily rake in the echoes. Once i have that room I just go there for ten minutes and walk away with 100+ vials.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    Been continuing a DS2 NG+ where I'd respecced into hexes.
    • dark hail is a real good workhorse spell
    • dark greatsword isn't always workable due to that startup, but there are times where it will delete an entire crowd of enemies
    • It's kinda nuts going from my NG build where I had no spells, to this build where I have every spell
    • related to above, flame swathe will fuck Darklurker up
    • never sure whether I should augment with fire, lightning, or dark

• Options
    infusions in 2 make no sense

it's a case by case thing

• Options
    Oh, also using the puzzling stone sword. Basically exactly what I wanted it to be, the versatility of a straight sword but slight weirder and slightly more asshole-ish. Both RTs have some wide range good for crowd control when you wanna play spicy and fight a bunch of dudes at once, but you've also got that extremely spammable straight thrust on 2h RB that can just stunlock a dude to death. You've also got a 1h combo of RB x3 followed by RT x4, which on targets with low enough poise to be stunlocked by it lets you start right up in their face and then push them like two yards away from you by the end of the combo.

• Options
    I think infusions in the DS games are always one of the hardest things to figure out without just going and reading about them on fextralife

• Options
    I think infusions in the DS games are always one of the hardest things to figure out without just going and reading about them on fextralife
    there's at least one weapon in 2 that gets an across-the-board stat improvement by being infused with bleed

some already elemental weapons should be infused, some not infused, raw outperforms on a couple weapons iirc, just absolute nonsense in ds2 infusions

i think i ran raw cryptsword once, only to read later on that it's inferior to dark infusion even at base 12/12 stats

• Options
    there's at least one weapon in 2 that gets an across-the-board stat improvement by being infused with bleed

some already elemental weapons should be infused, some not infused, raw outperforms on a couple weapons iirc, just absolute nonsense in ds2 infusions

i think i ran raw cryptsword once, only to read later on that it's inferior to dark infusion even at base 12/12 stats

ds2 is an absolute mess of decisions, some of which turn out ok

• Options
    it's full of weird bullshit that doesn't work more often than it does but the general quality of life improvements meant that I had a better time with it than I did with the first game

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Forest of Giants is absolutely harder than Undead Burg though. Like goddamn that gauntlet when you reach the log bridge of enemy getting up behind you, enemy archer ahead of you, another enemy lurking off to the side if you rush the archer, plus a fourth enemy waiting behind the archer.

At least in Scholars edition I was able to farm the ogre by abusing its "sit on you" AI programming to get a truly bonkers soul level for the area.

• Options
    I actually meant stuff like sunlight blade, magic weapon, flame weapon, or resonant weapon, since I'm not sure how much their duration and damage boost varies, and I'm not sure how much enemies are resistant to what types.
    Though I think I saw something on the wiki that if you augment a weapon that already has that damage type on it, you get a bigger boost, and the higher the base damage the bigger the boost. So, I guess if I want to get the absolute most out of augmentations, I will need to look into this stuff.