As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Xbox] 2.75 Gamecubes

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Drez wrote: »
    Wraith260 wrote: »
    i'm just reading The Verge's take on the Series X and Tom Warren isn't hold back on his praise.
    I’ve spent the past week with an Xbox Series X in my living room. I’ve played a variety of games on this preview unit, testing load times, performance, and some of the new Series X features. I switched back to an older Xbox One X briefly during testing, and it was like going from cable internet back to the days of a 56k modem. That’s how much the Xbox Series X improves the games you already play every day. Everything just feels better.

and that's just the opening line. i'm not sure there's a better way to describe a monumental shift.

Two problems:

First, the Xbox Series X is blocking the TV in that picture.

Second, the angle of that photo is bizarrely low.

For these two reasons I will troll this thread by saying I'm canceling my preorder for the Xbox Series X even though I don't mean it.

Man a photographer complaining about a clearly staged shot by a non photographer, boy you hate to see it chat.

Agree.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    i'm just reading The Verge's take on the Series X and Tom Warren isn't hold back on his praise.
    I’ve spent the past week with an Xbox Series X in my living room. I’ve played a variety of games on this preview unit, testing load times, performance, and some of the new Series X features. I switched back to an older Xbox One X briefly during testing, and it was like going from cable internet back to the days of a 56k modem. That’s how much the Xbox Series X improves the games you already play every day. Everything just feels better.

and that's just the opening line. i'm not sure there's a better way to describe a monumental shift.

Two problems:

For these two reasons I will troll this thread by saying I'm canceling my preorder for the Xbox Series X even though I don't mean it.

Man a photographer complaining about a clearly staged shot by a non photographer, boy you hate to see it chat.

Agree.

oh. I think I get the joke it now... this was supposed to be a picture of the TV, not the console.

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    I’m assuming these load times are without any specific optimisation updates for the game? So it’s possible we’d get faster if devs decide to release specific patches

• Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    Prohass wrote: »
    I’m assuming these load times are without any specific optimisation updates for the game? So it’s possible we’d get faster if devs decide to release specific patches

that's right. so far none of the games available for testing have been optimised for the new hardware. also this is all being done on prototype units, so there might be some slight differences when those games run on retail units.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    I'm surprised they don't do an elite bundle that comes with the elite series 2 controller. I really don't get Microsoft's marketing arm. Or legs.

Because they don't want to launch with a console SKU more expensive than what Sony's offering, and it looks like every single console is being snapped up by someone or another.

Which I'm OK with. It's a lot easier to buy an elite controller, as it so happens. :lol:

Synthesis on
  • Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    edited September 2020

"I was aware of the transaction and it is obviously gratifying news," Weaver tells Inverse.

For a bit more insight into the Microsoft-Bethesda deal, we spoke to Weaver via email, where he shared his thoughts on everything from what the deal means for upcoming games ("I have yet to meet an executive who does not want to accelerate the sale of a potential product") to the chances of Xbox exclusivity ("What Microsoft owns, Sony cannot get") to his opinion on the growing trend toward industry consolidation ("a product can only be as good as the creatives who make it") and disc-less gaming consoles ("High-speed internet will provide the bridge.")

Just started reading it.

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    Y'know what annoys me about the new store? At the very least, the first time you go to buy an item after a boot it kicks you back to its home page and you gotta go back into the game/page or search for what you want yourself. whyyyy?

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    I don't know why Microsoft is so bad at storefronts, online and off

• Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    The people who control storefront design at Microsoft are the types of people who design by trying to make something that will output the type of metrics they want instead of designing something good to start and then tweaking it based on the metrics.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I like that the new store is faster and I can skip the trailer playing quicker. Yep that's my one concern.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular

Two problems:

I have to admit, my instinctive response was “Why is the Xbox straight on, but the TV is at an angle ?”

Perspective, people !

• Options
    edited September 2020
    I don't know why Microsoft is so bad at storefronts, online and off

In their defense, Amazon and Netflix also pull the "punt you back to the home/profile select screen instead of where you were/wanted to go" thing too... somebody somewhere thought this was a great idea. It defeats the whole point of allowing the TV's app ribbon to show and pull the "watch next" and "recommendations" bits.

And yeah, Preacher... that is a thing it has going for it. :P

edit: also... why are you guys shaming his uneven floors or poor mounting job? :|

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    I like that the new store is faster and I can skip the trailer playing quicker. Yep that's my one concern.

Yeah, the new storefront works a lot faster for me. I've never had it kick me back anywhere.

• Options
    Synthesis wrote: »

Yeah, the new storefront works a lot faster for me. I've never had it kick me back anywhere.

so... uh... how often do you go to the storefront from a game to buy something? :P

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    Have any of these previews talked about the new Dpad?

I'm not gonna lie, the Dpad on the Xbox One controller is the keystone of my love for that controller, and seeing the new one has had me worried for nearly a year now.

I mean, I can still use my Design Lab controller if I want to go on Killer Instinct or Sonic CD or what have you, but then I don't get the convenient dedicated capture button, so you can see the bind I'm in.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    swaylowswaylow Registered User regular
    Have any of these previews talked about the new Dpad?

I'm not gonna lie, the Dpad on the Xbox One controller is the keystone of my love for that controller, and seeing the new one has had me worried for nearly a year now.

I mean, I can still use my Design Lab controller if I want to go on Killer Instinct or Sonic CD or what have you, but then I don't get the convenient dedicated capture button, so you can see the bind I'm in.

Sam Machkovech @ Ars Technica had this to say:
    Last of all, Microsoft has given me the greenlight to talk about the new controller's design. Have you ever held an Xbox One gamepad? Then you've pretty much held the new, updated "Xbox Wireless Controller."

This is even more true than saying "the Xbox 360 gamepad is an evolution of the OG Xbox S gamepad," or "the Xbox One gamepad is an evolution of the Xbox 360 gamepad." Many of the elements are either identical or imperceptibly changed. Joysticks have the same construction, in terms of a smooth divot and a ridged edge, and the same tension. Face buttons are identical in size, placement, and depth. The curve of the controllers' angles is ever-so-slightly different, down to millimeter precision.

The differences, then, are quite subtle, and many largely borrow from the Xbox Elite Gamepad. The analog triggers are the most noticeably changed element, as they've been updated with a textured edge, as opposed to the glossy triggers for most of the Xbox ecosystem's life. That has been matched with a nearly invisible update: increased tension, decreased action. You will have to press them the slightest bit harder to move the same physical distance, but the total physical distance between 0 and 100 percent has shrunk a tiny bit, as well. You won't notice a difference if you're holding them down to their maximum value, but if you like to use analog triggers as intended, to ease off the gas in a racing game, the new gamepad makes that a bit easier to do.

Speaking of textured edges: the newer gamepad's handles have been given a much more noticeable texture effect, making them much easier to grip if you're the kind to get sweaty palms during a video game. It's quite nice—and arguably better as part of this gamepad's plastic shell than a similar effect in the textured, rubberized grip in the Xbox Elite Gamepad. The d-pad now looks and feels more like the default d-pad on the Elite, too, with extra plastic built into the spaces between the pad's primary arms. Functionally, this is identical to Xbox One's update to the d-pad—and that's good news, because it's still one of the best d-pads on any gamepad in the world. It's clicky without requiring much force, and it's responsive.

The last change of note is a new "share" button, which basically turns Xbox One's best voice commands (RIP, Kinect) into button taps. Tap the button once to capture a screen; briefly long-press the button to capture a video. You can swap the tap and press functions if you'd like, but while the Xbox OS lets you redefine pretty much every other button on the controller as you see fit, you currently cannot assign gameplay buttons to the share button. (I desperately hope the accessibility team at Microsoft revises this approach; the share button's nearness to the right joystick makes it an awesome gameplay button option for one-handed players.)

Link here: https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2020/09/xbox-series-x-hands-on-the-big-back-compat-dive-begins/

• Options
    Oh, that is so good to hear. I hope it proves as true in practice.

...damn, I forgot I could have been using Kinect to capture stuff all this time. :x

Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    What are the odds of the new Yakuza game coming to Gamepass ?

Between Destiny 2 and Cyberpunk, my gaming is pretty much set from November onwards, but I’m also really tempted by
    Like A Dragon. I’m a sucker for turn based JRPs, and I’m really happy to see a big release coming to Xbox.

But I don’t know if I can just if another £50 on myself pre-Christmas.

With the other Yakuza games now on Gamepass I’m wondering they’ll add the game. Especially since it’s not coming to PlayStation until March, so I think that would be a cunning time to add it, but I don’t know how likely that is, as it would only be 5 months since launch...

• Options
    edited September 2020

...damn, I forgot I could have been using Kinect to capture stuff all this time. :x

I assume they can't remove the existing sharing "shortcuts" (using the guide button) considering how many people will be using current generation controllers.

so... uh... how often do you go to the storefront from a game to buy something? :P

Never? I go from the storefront to a thing in question--and it doesn't kick me back. I thought that was where the error was happening for others. Guess I'm lucky? :P

Synthesis on
  • Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    I don't remember where I read it but one of the other changes I've heard is that they've moved more of the weight into the handles which supposedly makes the controller feel a little sturdier.

Apparently Yakuza: Like a Dragon won't support cross-gen saves on PlayStation but will on Xbox.

Edit: that's really gonna screw PS5 owners when the enhancement patch comes out.

Carpy on
  • Options

Never? I go from the storefront to a thing in question--and it doesn't kick me back. I thought that was where the error was happening for others. Guess I'm lucky? :P

lol, that's why you haven't had it happen... we're not doing the same thing.

If you, while in a game, pick something that should take you to the store listing for the item(s), what happens is it will open the store, (sometimes) flash item's page, then immediately take you to the home page for the entire store. Then you have to search for the item. It usually tends to happen the first time you go to the store from a prompt in a game.

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    M-Vickers wrote: »

Between Destiny 2 and Cyberpunk, my gaming is pretty much set from November onwards, but I’m also really tempted by
    Like A Dragon. I’m a sucker for turn based JRPs, and I’m really happy to see a big release coming to Xbox.

With the other Yakuza games now on Gamepass I’m wondering they’ll add the game. Especially since it’s not coming to PlayStation until March, so I think that would be a cunning time to add it, but I don’t know how likely that is, as it would only be 5 months since launch...

Literally 100%, it was confirmed to be there when it was announced earlier this year

• Options
    cckerberoscckerberos Registered User regular
    Carpy wrote: »
    Apparently Yakuza: Like a Dragon won't support cross-gen saves on PlayStation but will on Xbox.

Edit: that's really gonna screw PS5 owners when the enhancement patch comes out.

It's not an enhancement patch, as I understand it.

I've seen some speculation that it has something to do with the PS5 having a new file system, but I have to imagine that RGG Studios could make it possible if they wanted to. I mean, I can transfer Dynasty Warriors saves from the PS3 to the PS4 through Koei's servers.

cckerberos.png
  • Options

lol, that's why you haven't had it happen... we're not doing the same thing.

If you, while in a game, pick something that should take you to the store listing for the item(s), what happens is it will open the store, (sometimes) flash item's page, then immediately take you to the home page for the entire store. Then you have to search for the item. It usually tends to happen the first time you go to the store from a prompt in a game.

I took the following steps:

1) Started up For Honor for the first time in months
    2) Waded through a half-dozen notifications
    3) Went to the Battlepasses/Season Pack section
    4) Selected For Honor - Marching Fire Battle Pass (you have to hold down the button, pointlessly enough)...
    5) ...and I was sent to the Marching Fire DLC page in the Storefront. I don't get bounced back to any page. It's still sitting on the DLC page.

I was wondering why I'd never heard of what you described despite being in the preview ring. So I guess I am one of the lucky ones. I can capture a video clip if you'd like. :P

• Options
    Crippl3 wrote: »
    M-Vickers wrote: »

Literally 100%, it was confirmed to be there when it was announced earlier this year

Excellent, thanks. I’ll hold off on buying it, I’ll have more than enough to keep me busy until then.

I also forgot Blood Bowl 3 is out early next year...

• Options
    edited September 2020
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OzxD0t9Ehk

I assume they can't remove the existing sharing "shortcuts" (using the guide button) considering how many people will be using current generation controllers.

Yeah, probably not; I think I read that the recent update to the One's dashboard mirrors the Series X|S one, too, so that would track.

That said, I find just pressing a dedicated button so much handier than pressing a button to open a menu to capture the image -- I probably have more Switch screens than Xbox One and PS4 combined to prove it.

(Plus, I don't think this is the case on Xbox, but PS4 keeps the game actively running while you do that stuff, too.)

LBD_Nytetrayn on
  • Options

Yeah, probably not; I think I read that the recent update to the One's dashboard mirrors the Series X|S one, too, so that would track.

That said, I find just pressing a dedicated button so much handier than pressing a button to open a menu to capture the image -- I probably have more Switch screens than Xbox One and PS4 combined to prove it.

(Plus, I don't think this is the case on Xbox, but PS4 keeps the game actively running while you do that stuff, too.)

There is a dedicated button on the DS4, on the face just offset of the big touch panel games don't use, but point taken.

The guide button automatically triggers some kind of pause (even if it doesn't say "game paused") in games that allow it (which is also what happens on PS4, the difference being people typically don't use that to take screen captures). The way that works is that the game immediately does the capture after "unpausing" the game, though it doesn't seem to resume until after that. Or that's how it appears?

I'm not really a fan of a dedicated share button (I sort of which it wasn't in the middle of the controller), but most people seem to like the addition.

• Options
    ReddayeReddaye Registered User regular

There is a dedicated button on the DS4, on the face just offset of the big touch panel games don't use, but point taken.

The guide button automatically triggers some kind of pause (even if it doesn't say "game paused") in games that allow it (which is also what happens on PS4, the difference being people typically don't use that to take screen captures). The way that works is that the game immediately does the capture after "unpausing" the game, though it doesn't seem to resume until after that. Or that's how it appears?

I'm not really a fan of a dedicated share button (I sort of which it wasn't in the middle of the controller), but most people seem to like the addition.

I think having a dedicated button is a bit better for sharing stuff in competitive multiplayer games where needing to press the Home button and another button is a bit cumbersome. At least with a dedicated button I can just hit it to do capture during gameplay (or take a screenshot).

Or does the share button still open a new window with selectable options rather than just seamlessly capture? I haven't noticed it covered in any previews.

• Options
    eMoandereMoander Registered User regular
    I started up a permadeath No Mans Sky game last night to see some of the updates, and man all I can think about is how much prettier and faster it’s going to be on the series x. Curse Microsoft for ruining my current gaming experience!

Xbox: Travesty 0214 Switch: 3304-2356-9421 Honkai Star Rail: 600322115 Battlenet: Travesty #1822
  • Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    edited September 2020
  • Options
    ReddayeReddaye Registered User regular
    Nice to see Motorsport finally land on Game Pass.

• Options
    Wow, Brutal Legend. There's a name I haven't heard in a long time.

• Options
    Trojan35Trojan35 I want Too Human 2. Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Wow, Brutal Legend. There's a name I haven't heard in a long time.

Highly recommend on Gamepass. It's one of those games that felt too short for $60, but the short ride was fantastic.

Also, happy Tuesday all. My XSX and Cyberpunk hype is still turned up to 11 right now.

Trojan35 on
  • Options
    and EA Play will be joining Game Pass on console on November 10th, Series X/S launch day. it'll be available on PC in December.

• Options
    Trojan35Trojan35 I want Too Human 2. Registered User regular
    Trojan35 wrote: »
    Gamepass is becoming a problem. So many games I don’t have time to play.

Still working through Forsaken, then Beyond Light.
    Gears Tactics is coming
    Need to do final boss of Sekiro (not gamepass)
    Haven’t beat battletoads yet
    Dishonored 2 isn’t getting removed from gamepass anymore I think, meaning it’s back on the list.
    I am only through Ep1 of Alan Wake
    I am only a couple hours into Hellblade
    Haven’t even touched any of the telltale or tell me why games.
    And you know I gotta retry Doom multi once that’s on gamepass, hopefully bugs are fixed.
    Did I hear Squadrons is coming out (non gamepass)?

I’ve gotta get through all this pre Cyberpunk. Gamepass has like 5x’d my want to play games list.

Heeeelp.

I feel attacked.

• Options
    ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    Reddaye wrote: »

I am honestly stunned it wasn’t on game pass already

• Options
    Reddaye wrote: »

I am honestly stunned it wasn’t on game pass already

i think it was one of the last big 1st party games that released before they started adding them to Game Pass on release.

• Options
    OmnomnomPancakeOmnomnomPancake Registered User regular
    Fuck Brutal Legend.

What a fucking bait and switch of a game! Turning your fun action adventure Neolithic heavy metal romp into a bloated, hard-to-control, completely unintuitive RTS.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Fuck Brutal Legend.

What a fucking bait and switch of a game! Turning your fun action adventure Neolithic heavy metal romp into a bloated, hard-to-control, completely unintuitive RTS.

Eh I think people just made up a game they wanted in their heads and bought it based on Jack Black alone

Don't get me wrong I never played it but that's because I paid attention to more than just the marketing

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    It had a misrepresentative demo that was just the action adventure parts before it swapped to an RTS.

Still a great game, IMO.