As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WH40K] Battle Forge is here

• italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Oh right tournaments results... I took a box of Rubric Marines.

vsk1k9zvh2yg.jpeg

italianranma on
    飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Its a better deal for me than the land raider tbh. One box of Rubrics is a full kill team roster, and a good one, and my full astartes army is primaris only

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    If you’re like me and never check promotional emails, then do a quick search and see if you got one from GW in the last few days: it’s a rebate based on previous spending habits, valid through the end of the month. I’m not one to shill, but I would have missed it if someone else hadn’t told me...

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • ChrysisChrysis Registered User regular
    If you’re like me and never check promotional emails, then do a quick search and see if you got one from GW in the last few days: it’s a rebate based on previous spending habits, valid through the end of the month. I’m not one to shill, but I would have missed it if someone else hadn’t told me...

A sort of rebate. Spend $X now for a $Y coupon you can use next month (only).

Tri-Optimum reminds you that there are only one-hundred-sixty-three shopping days until Christmas. Just 1 extra work cycle twice a week will give you the spending money you need to make this holiday a very special one.
  • TheGerbilTheGerbil Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    So necron and marine codexes for pre-order this weekend along with their associated data cards.

Also the Silent king is finally here at the leaked price of $150 USD

TheGerbil on
  • ArdolArdol Registered User regular
    The Silent King at $150...I dunno if i can justify that to myself :?

• MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    TheGerbil wrote: »
    So necron and marine codexes for pre-order this weekend along with their associated data cards.

Wait only like the new missions and terrain stuff was coming out for preorder this week.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »

Wait only like the new missions and terrain stuff was coming out for preorder this week.

The mission/terrain stuff went on preorder yesterday, the 26th. The Necron and Space Marine books/dice/ETB kits go on preorder on Oct 3rd.
    Which week that is depends on when you ‘start’ your week, I guess.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I knew the codex were coming out in Oct as planned on getting them but I did not know the price. The necron dice look neat but again are they worth it just for a novelty?
    I will get the codex and plan out what to do with my necron army from there. I am still curious if they will bring over the create your chapter system from the previous so you can build all phobos armies or I am very curious if you can do all assault armies

• TheGerbilTheGerbil Registered User regular
    Mr_Rose wrote: »

The mission/terrain stuff went on preorder yesterday, the 26th. The Necron and Space Marine books/dice/ETB kits go on preorder on Oct 3rd.

Sorry my bad, in my head week starts with Sunday.

This upcoming weekend is the necron/marine pre-order.

• StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    I'm kind of disappointed with how little there is to pre order. Was hoping to get the best use out of my 20% off at my LGS.

Just gonna grab the silent king, the dice, and the two codex and wait to buy more until more is available.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    I'm going have to grab one of those goofy ATV's...

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Mr_Rose wrote: »

Sorry my bad, in my head week starts with Sunday.

No bad. The exact start day of the week is a cultural thing, no matter what the ISO says.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Yeah Warhammer Community wasn't refreshing for me for some reason. I see it now.

I am going to wait and see how it works with Deathwatch. I am on the fence of keeping that army right now. Having too much fun with Ad Mech and CSM right now. I haven't played them for almost a year.

But if the new codex makes them interesting I might keep them.

I am more excited for my 2w CSM.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    I really want to know what the full stat sheet of the Void Dragon shard and the Silent King is. They're not Marines, so I expect them to be "okay", but curiosity is one of my banes.

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    WJS2ftLFpZqA0PsV.jpg

This sounds potentially very, very strong to me.

• pardzhpardzh Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    I had to go look up the old version to compare:
    REANIMATION PROTOCOLS
    The moment a Necron is laid low, its metal body enacts complex self-repair routines, reattaching severed limbs and fusing together shattered armour plating.

Roll a D6 for each slain model from this unit (unless the whole unit has been completely destroyed) at the beginning of your turn. Do not roll for models that have fled the unit. On a 5+, the model’s reanimation protocols activate and it is returned to this unit with its full complement of wounds, otherwise it remains inactive (although you can roll again at the start of each of your subsequent turns). When a model’s reanimation protocols activate, set it up in unit coherency with any model from this unit that has not returned to the unit as a result of reanimation protocols this turn, and more than 1" from enemy models. If you cannot do this because there is no room to place the model, do not set it up (you can make Reanimation Protocols rolls for this model again in subsequent turns).

pardzh on
    gt: Bobby2Socks | steam: Billy Boot-Snatcher

You talk clean and bomb hospitals, so I speak with the foulest mouth possible
    edited September 2020
    That's straight trash for multi-wound models unless the Rites improve it.

Also, if I read that correctly, you only get one shot to bring back the Warriors (let's say). So if an attack kills 5, I bring back 1, it doesn't look like I ever get to try and bring back those other 4 again?

It doesn't seem good at all at first glance, but at least it has a chance to activate now whereas before a full wipe meant no RP....so for one wound models it's probably a wash?

But it's terrible for our 3 wound models.

Bizazedo on
  • NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Yeah it's pretty bad for multiple wound models, but straight amazing for single wound models like warriors and immortals. I have to imagine that getting +1 is pretty easy considering the cap, so having a 4+ "save" after you make armour saves and such is really very strong.

Edit: I will say there's an interesting interaction here with multiple wound models. If say two destroyers die, you roll six dice, and you need there of them to succeed to res a dude. It doesn't matter where this has come from for it to trigger. This means that statistically you're getting 50% of your killed models back (6 chances at 1/3)

Norgoth on
    Norgoth wrote: »
    Edit: I will say there's an interesting interaction here with multiple wound models. If say two destroyers die, you roll six dice, and you need there of them to succeed to res a dude. It doesn't matter where this has come from for it to trigger. This means that statistically you're getting 50% of your killed models back (6 chances at 1/3)
    Kind of. You only get one chance, though.

So if my Destroyers are attacked, lose two models, I roll six dice. Let's say the dice gods love me and I bring back one. The next attack kills one more Destroyer. I roll only for that newly killed Destroyer, the prior one is dead and gone forever.

It definitely makes split fire against Necron multi-wound models appealing.

The models this hurts the most are the Praetorians and the Lychguard.

Btw, Void Dragon looks nasty.

3CAJL8knZHO0yR8T.png
    OegsoLs5KnUsWgcj.png
    cqBbUw4OTzR89Z7q.png
    image0.png

Bizazedo wrote: »
    Kind of. You only get one chance, though.

So if my Destroyers are attacked, lose two models, I roll six dice. Let's say the dice gods love me and I bring back one. The next attack kills one more Destroyer. I roll only for that newly killed Destroyer, the prior one is dead and gone forever.

It definitely makes split fire against Necron multi-wound models appealing.

The models this hurts the most are the Praetorians and the Lychguard.

Yeah, I was referring to from a specific attack to be clear. This is intentional I feel, to have it scale poorly with more wounds. A flat 5+ would be pretty powerful all things considered.

Goes a long way to explain why immortals stayed at one wound now.

Yeah, I was referring to from a specific attack to be clear. This is intentional I feel, to have it scale poorly with more wounds. A flat 5+ would be pretty powerful all things considered.

Totally. Max stack of Immortals is looking mighty appealing right now.

The Necron discord is (amusingly) tearing itself apart right now, but what a lot seem to miss is that if you were playing against a competent opponent, they never let you reanimate anyways. The new one lets you throw some dice at least.

It is worse for multi-wound models and it doesn't help at all versus psychic phase mortal wounds, unfortunately, but still.

The other bit is Necrons were very powerful at 500 points and 1000 points due to how the old RP worked. This change in RP actually does nerf them there.

So is RP just a worse +5 FNP now? Or am I misreading it? +5 FNP but worse for multi wound units?

So it'll be harder to kill a unit in a single turn but once models are gone they are gone forever? Maybe there will be a stratagem to roll for previously removed models or something.

edited September 2020

Totally. Max stack of Immortals is looking mighty appealing right now.

The Necron discord is (amusingly) tearing itself apart right now, but what a lot seem to miss is that if you were playing against a competent opponent, they never let you reanimate anyways. The new one lets you throw some dice at least.

It is worse for multi-wound models and it doesn't help at all versus psychic phase mortal wounds, unfortunately, but still.

The other bit is Necrons were very powerful at 500 points and 1000 points due to how the old RP worked. This change in RP actually does nerf them there.

Yeah, under the old rules RP did literally nothing. Under the new rules it makes out as needing 5 full 10 man intercessor squads rapid firing to clear a single unit of necron warriors off the table. More if there is a buff to RP in effect. (Just under 70 intercessors with just +1). I haven't taken the natural re-rolls of 1 into account either.

I don't know about you but considering twenty warriors is 220 points that seems like a bonkers efficient amount of anti-infantry fire soaking. Hilariously it maths out that immortal are basically exactly the same on survivability as warriors when both taken in full squads.

I would bet large amounts of money that ghost arks, ressurection orbs and crypteks might allow for returning dead models to a unit now.
    Ardol wrote: »
    So is RP just a worse +5 FNP now? Or am I misreading it? +5 FNP but worse for multi wound units?

So it'll be harder to kill a unit in a single turn but once models are gone they are gone forever? Maybe there will be a stratagem to roll for previously removed models or something.

It's actually strictly better on 1 wound models than a FNP, and worse multiwound models. This is because a one wound model taking a wound from a heavy bolter and taking two damage is much worse off with FNP (basically a 5+ to survive but they must reroll a success) compared to a warrior rolling once.

Worth considering though that we know you can get a FNP on necron units. So an immortal can be 3+, 5++, 6+++ then 4+ RP using crypteks and a reanimator.

Norgoth on
  • KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    From what you guys are saying, any models that don't reanimate are lost forever? Am I misreading?

Where does it specify that? I need to know because my buddy who plays necrons is notorious for misreading rules in his favor :lol:

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
    edited September 2020
    Khraul wrote: »
    From what you guys are saying, any models that don't reanimate are lost forever? Am I misreading?

Where does it specify that? I need to know because my buddy who plays necrons is notorious for misreading rules in his favor :lol:

Hmmm maybe they don't go away, it depends on how you read the last sentence, that comma is important haha

edit - rereading it for the umpteenth time only the ones died in that attack are "reassembling"

Ardol on
  • McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2020
    the "any models that were destroyed by that attack try to reassemble" part near the start. Only models that died from that attack add their dice to the reanimation check. If they get attacked again, only the model that died in that new attack make rolls, not all models that have ever died from the unit.

Also, if the unit is destroyed, they dont get to reanimate, so I don't know where this comes in.

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
    McGibs wrote: »
    the "any models that were destroyed by that attack try to reassemble" part near the start. Only models that died from that attack add their dice to the reanimation check. If they get attacked again, only the model that died in that new attack make rolls, not all models that have ever died from the unit.

Also, if the unit is destroyed, they dont get to reanimate, so I don't know where this comes in.

They now have to destroy a unit with a single attack. Under old rules if the unit was destroyed over the course of a turn, you got nothing. Currently the only realistic thing capable of doing it is aggressors, who can kill 20 warriors, provided they're under either the effect of a chapter master, or can shoot twice (and this is taking into account reanimations in between salvos).

Funnily enough, the T5 on a squad of immortals means a unit of six aggressors double shooting doesn't wipe the squad and will leave one remaining. So go go immortals.

• McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    Ah, right, you get to make rolls throughout the turn, and not just the end of the turn. When the unit is dead, they still don't get rolls though, which is what I was reading the praise as.

website_header.jpg
    Reanimation is gonna be kind if weird now. I wonder what new stratagems there are going to be for it.

Glad they officially confirmed that the new monolith is an updated kit instead of a different model. I can now turn my two old monoliths into terrain.

What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

edited September 2020
    Some of them are idiots. That's the succinct answer to why the Discord is tearing at each other. It was more me being hyperbolic about the arguments.

There's also those of them that are eternally pessimistic and hate everything unless it's clearly OP. Amusingly, these are the same ones that are ignoring the fact that against a competent opponent, we never were able to use RP before.
    Funnily enough, the T5 on a squad of immortals means a unit of six aggressors double shooting doesn't wipe the squad and will leave one remaining. So go go immortals.

Mass immortal / warrior spam? New meta?

The Canoptek Reanimators are still terrible.

Bizazedo on
    Some of them are idiots. That's the succinct answer to why the Discord is tearing at each other. It was more me being hyperbolic about the arguments.

There's also those of them that are eternally pessimistic and hate everything unless it's clearly OP. Amusingly, these are the same ones that are ignoring the fact that against a competent opponent, we never were able to use RP before.

Mass immortal / warrior spam? New meta?

The Canoptek Reanimators are still terrible.

Silver tide is looking pretty good, not gonna lie.

• LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    As a Necron player who mostly plays 1000 point games and rarely wins, this is incredibly disappointing.

Yea, I'm not a fan of silver tide. I'd be surprised if there weren't stratagems that added dice to the reanimation to make it more likely though.

edited September 2020
    As a Necron player who mostly plays 1000 point games and rarely wins, this is incredibly disappointing.

Necrons were already powerful in 1000 points. I'm not sure this weakens them there, to be honest, unless you skimped hard on troops or were running like patrol detachments in 9th so you only had to have one troop unit.

The other bit to remember is that in the White Dwarf battle report, it was said the enemy player had to focus on killing the Overlord to prevent the Necron from bringing his guys back....so there's probably some more RP stuff we don't know yet regarding stratagems / HQ abilities / Rites (although it may be referring to the resurrection strat).
    Silver tide is looking pretty good, not gonna lie.
    I'll have 120 total Warriors when my shipment from the painter gets here. I am ready.

Bizazedo on

Honestly at the points they are now you’re paying 11 points for something equivalent to a plaguemarine with one less armour but a better gun. That seems like a crazy bargain. At 1k bring 40 warriors and no one has the output to chew through them fast enough honestly.

• LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    I just find the new mechanic unfun on paper. I don’t like the idea of having one chance per model and that’s it.

I much preferred the idea of units continuously coming back throughout the game. And at the level of game I play at, that’s generally what happened. It needed better balancing in bigger/competitive games, but it was fluffy and fun.

I was hoping that the new rules would play more to that style of flavour, as opposed to being basically a more complicated FNP.

LockedOnTarget on
    I really do not know how many warriors I have since I have never opened the Necron Warrior Phalanx I got as a prize 10 years ago {that old Apoc army box} I think I built 30 or 40?
    I just ran out of black primer and the pandemic then work going to hell happened so it was quite hard to find an excuse to ride out to the GW store to get some more
    I know I said it before getting the codex will help me plan out what to do with my necron army since there is a ton of new stuff for it

I have 140 Warriors and it kind of bothers me because 80 are Gauss Flayer and 60 are Gauss Reaper and I want another 20 Gauss Reaper to round it out.

Also have 60 Immortals split 30 Gauss Blasters and 30 Tesla guns.

I really wanted to buy the terrain that went on pre order Saturday but with Necron stuff coming out now I want to make sure I can go deep as fuck on it. Really like the terrain too.

I really just wanted the escape pod from the previous terrain set but a few of them [no more than three}

Still with the preview of the space marine codex I do wonder if they will let us make all assault armies or keeping the all phobos chapter stuff [some of it was kind of weird}
    For the most part I am getting the codex for both but it's various AoS stuff and Catacombs that are higher as well as if they are going to Xmas deals this year