As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[No Man's Sky] this is now the old thread!

• Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    At one point I was building a farm to make the high tier crafted goods, but sort of fell off trying to figure out amounts because at some point the amounts changed and not all of the crafting guides had updated. Then activated indium farming happened.

With the references to changes to crafting I am hoping someone comes up with a better, updated guide to that kind of thing.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Okay, so picture time! The first one is of my traveller with the archive building off in the distance. The second is from the same spot with the monolith behind them. The third is of the archive building from a bit closer, and the last two are of the what I think may be text above one of the doorways of the archive.
    1340EB457736A792D8A0CE728FFFEDD92F90917D
    AF4BF2377230C6257AE1F6C30CFB2E33C63D26E6
    D4F50E55F397462B2C98602AE0A63C2D15C9242D
    EA3117BF5EF8B7C2154CBB21759641CD619F751A
    8A5DA1AC5153DAF6ECDB151B77FE016E8A234BCB

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Genji-GlovesGenji-Gloves Registered User regular
    I popped my head in to see the update. Went back to my base via a portal to find it was a one way trip as there was no power running. Skill trees now to unlock upgrades?

• Options
    I popped my head in to see the update. Went back to my base via a portal to find it was a one way trip as there was no power running. Skill trees now to unlock upgrades?

Oh you have been gone a bit huh. Yeah unlocks are very different now.

• Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Wait, there are skill trees now?

The last thing I remember doing was checking in on my base during . . . Next? Beyond? I think it was Next. How much has changed? Is it just a totally different game now?

Kalnaur on
    I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    Tech trees, yeah. As far as I know no skill trees?

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    bsjezz wrote: »
    Tech trees, yeah. As far as I know no skill trees?

I mean, really any tree-based something would be news to me. I remember when you had to kinda futz through to figure out what elements to stick together to make "thing" and then stick more things together to make "other thing" and you kinda had to know what you were doing because it wasn't like, "first this or this plus this learning means now this can be unlocked" or anything like that. Last time I played they had added the refiners and mining equipment. That's all I remember. At least I think that was it. The stations were also more populated, there were actual kiosk stations for ship, tech, and guns . . . that update whatever it was.

Kalnaur on
  • Options
    Genji-GlovesGenji-Gloves Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Yeah sorry tech trees would be the correct term.

They been busy with this game. It took me a while to remember how to play but kinda fun exploring all the new stuff.

Edit: wow okay didn’t realize summoning the anomaly has multiplayer and research stations. All these crazy aliens and ships.

Genji-Gloves on
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Unless you're just rich in nanites, newer players (or people starting over) should consider just doing the story quests (specifically the base quests), because they'll unlock some of the tech things that you can also unlock at the Nexus. You can get it at the nexus if you don't want to do the story quests (though, at some point, you kind of have to at least to get some things in the game), but you can also save some nanites if you can wait a bit.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    edited September 2020
    Because I don't know how to link just the video here's an example on reddit of the sort of mountains you can find now.

It's a good thing we can summon ships now, because uh...that would be one unfortunate slip.

My goal now:

Volcano planet with massive mountains. Volcano at the top of one of the mountains with a large enough area that I can build a base around. Giant worms crashing through the mountains. Low, to no, sentinel activity.

EDIT: Holy crap, Volcanos aren't only red :rotate: Even the "embers" on the trees are blue. I wonder if that's a glitch or something?

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    The best part of those mountains is that it makes flying around planets so much more interesting.

• Options
    Just did a derelict freighter for the first time, and that was really cool! I'm really glad HG just keeps adding cool shit like this to the game

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    EDIT: Holy crap, Volcanos aren't only red :rotate: Even the "embers" on the trees are blue. I wonder if that's a glitch or something?

I don't think its a bug. I'm assuming that a planet could have an atmosphere that would make fire burn blue or their version of lava has more of a blue color due to a different chemical makeup.

Also, maybe none of that is possible and I'm just dumb

• Options
    ObiFett wrote: »

I don't think its a bug. I'm assuming that a planet could have an atmosphere that would make fire burn blue or their version of lava has more of a blue color due to a different chemical makeup.

Also, maybe none of that is possible and I'm just dumb

The thread I found that picture in, people reported finding green and purple ones. Looks like it's a thing.

I wonder if you can get those new disco (not really, they're ball plants, with different colors that flash on and off at night, I guess there's grass that does the same now) trees on planets with volcanos, for just rainbow nonsense.

• Options
    Sometimes this game is real purdy

1FE93D4EE4966DA9FABC1C176D6EFDBE33E51DDD

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Apparently the 3.0 patch changed somewhat the way you can crash values in a system economy.

Turns out all that really changed is the amount you have to sell in order to bottom out the commodity (-80% ish).

You only need a few thousand of anything to crash it totally before, but now it looks like you need ~8 stacks of something.

I don't know how this effects lower stack items like looms; I'd have to test that later. I'm not even sure if it's worth it anymore post 9999 stacks anyway, though.

So yeah, if you're going to aim for that route (don't want to deal with scrapping ships or whatever, or are jumping systems anyway for inventory slots), be aware you need to have a lot more to crater the value, which really just means you need a bit more starter cash to do so.

Another reason to aim for scanning upgrades asap.

• Options
    I finally completed the quest to get a living ship! I named mine "Sha Nagba Imuru" and they're a nice sort of mint and greyish lavender color. It's going to be fun figuring out how to upgrade these, since all their components are organic, but I'm super pumped that I won't need antimatter anymore for warp fuel (these use chromatic metal, which I have tens of thousands of).

33FF17ABC37B43D3680B8D8469151CD5D12D3F3C
    3F717E74DA003CB7C552F416063BA334A26D3943

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    I got to a point where everytime I went to my main base, the game just started slowing down. It's not even that big a base. XBox1 player.

I kind of put it down when I finally journeyed to the center of the galaxy I'm in, but then couldn't figure out how to warp to the next galaxy.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    I just flew into a system with 3 stars!

pleasepleasepleaseplease have at least one cool planet!

EDIT: Bleh. :(

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2020
    I just flew into a system with 3 stars!

pleasepleasepleaseplease have at least one cool planet!

One of my buddies who just started the game got a trinary star system as his starter system. Included in the system is a:

Rotting planet
    Scorched planet
    Bountiful planet
    Paradise planet
    Frozen planet

The stars are purple, green, and red. I may have built a base of my own in his system (on the bountiful planet)

Erlkönig on
    | Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    Well, my base still exists and it's not in a mountainside or anything, I had to reattach/craft a landing pad, but that's okay. They took away my struts for my base but it's still standing so it's not like I give a damn. I'll need 30+ of the solar panels to run the base effectively all day and night, so that should be interesting and keep me busy. It doesn't seem to want me to put storage containers in my Freighter, which is weird but I'll figure it out I'm sure.

Eidt: Oh and holy shit my base planet has giant fucking worms.

Kalnaur on
  • Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Oh yeah, that reminds me. The Paradise planet that my buddy decided to make his base on? Well, the only downside are the roving tentacle monsters that like to wander around. They're non-hostile (and the scanner tells us they're herbivores)...but I've seen enough hen...uh, nvm.

Erlkönig on
    | Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    Supposedly, Paradise planets will now only be named so if they don't have negative stuff like super aggressive sentinels or superheated storms. If I read the patch notes correctly.

• Options
    Kalnaur wrote: »
    Well, my base still exists and it's not in a mountainside or anything, I had to reattach/craft a landing pad, but that's okay. They took away my struts for my base but it's still standing so it's not like I give a damn. I'll need 30+ of the solar panels to run the base effectively all day and night, so that should be interesting and keep me busy. It doesn't seem to want me to put storage containers in my Freighter, which is weird but I'll figure it out I'm sure.

Eidt: Oh and holy shit my base planet has giant fucking worms.

There's rooms for freighters for the storage containers, but I believe you don't even need them now and can just access storage directly from the inventory while on the freighter. Let me go look and see how I did it before

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    also, build som magnetic energy maker things
    solar panels suck

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    also, build som magnetic energy maker things
    solar panels suck

I don't have magnetic energy makers? And I'm not sure where to get the info for them. Batteries and solar panels are where that tech tree ends for me.

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Ok @Kalnaur , you should be able to just go onto your freighter and then open up the inventory and where you have the tabs for frieghter and tech there should be tabs for every cargo unit you have as well (gotta use q and e if you wanna switch tabs quickly). As far as I know there's no need to build the cargo rooms on board any longer

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Darmak wrote: »
    Ok Kalnaur , you should be able to just go onto your freighter and then open up the inventory and where you have the tabs for frieghter and tech there should be tabs for every cargo unit you have as well (gotta use q and e if you wanna switch tabs quickly). As far as I know there's no need to build the cargo rooms on board any longer

I'm using a controller, but I'll figure it out.

I saw somewhere online last night that if you're building in a system with a base, it assumes it should be building on that base but isn't and you need to take the freighter to a non-base area and do it there instead.

• Options
    WeX MajorsWeX Majors 8th Floor, MegashipRegistered User regular
    Man, there's like... A LOT to this game at first.

I ended up redoing the entire tutorial three times. The first time the game was chugging along so slowly by the time I found the crashed freighter it was giving motion sickness.
    Then, just because I was curious, I went and tried out the Xbox Cloud Streaming...Thing. It works! But I hate using a controller, and being on a tiny lil phone screen made it super hard to see all the UI bits.

So, then I went and started over again on Steam to see if anything could change. I wound up on a hot planet, then bounced to an Ice Planet to put my base at and got all the way to a space station! I left off somewhere in the midst of the Hyperdrive bit, I think I'm making antimatter. Overall, I think I'm enjoying this, I just wish the game didn't look like a massive potato whenever I boot it up.

• Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    I think I'll burn all my bases, then try to warp to a new galaxy and start over.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    The new content inspired me to pick this up on Steam (I'm tired of my PS4 sounding like a jet engine playing this game), and starting out is both familiar and also feels so much different. It's great.

Not only did I have a paradise planet in my first system, it's got ancient bones. So I'm spending way more time than I should, walking to excavation sites and raking in the cash. Good stuff!

• Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    I've more or less just made it to the Anomaly and I have to admit that I'm at a point where none of the obvious directions appeal all that much, mainly because doing things - collecting resources, crafting etc. - seem all that enjoyable. Are there any main ways at this point to make the moment-to-moment gameplay more enjoyable and less awkward, e.g. working towards certain easy-to-get upgrades that improve the in-game quality of life? I can see the game being enjoyable, but right now I still feel like I'm constantly having to recharge and refuel my equipment, and that feels like quite the drag. (I've found it easier with other games, e.g. Subnautica, to find a balance between striving for an objective and enjoying the moment-to-moment gameplay, but I'm not quite there yet with NMS.)

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    Just buy fat stacks of the essentials at a trade terminal and most of the busywork will be unnecessary. You can definitely work towards passive launch fuel chargers and stronger mining beams, etc, but you might find with good resource management you forget about that stuff.

I will say an Economy Scanner is a good / underrated ship upgrade. It'll quickly pinpoint a trading post in a new system so you'll always have a safe place to land and trade.

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    It doesn't take long before you have enough basic stuff just stacked in your inventory that you don't ever have to worry about them again, or at least not for a long time. You can upgrade your inventory space one time at each space station you come to, and I would advise getting scanner upgrades for your multitool to make earning credits easier until you decide if you wanna set up some farming or trading or whatever.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    post-Origins and i'm still struggling to get a perma run going. died twice last night: first to a glitch exiting the tutorial shelter, then by boosting a little too zealously on a low-gravity planet :lol:

i'm actually thinking with the portal restriction lifted a no-HUD speedrun is possible. anyone know what the situation currently is on the anti-matter recipe or acquiring anti-matter without the tutorial / awakenings quest? can you still get the recipe from manufacturing facilities, or commonly trade for it direct?

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    So I finally finished the Atlas and Artemis and Space Anomaly missions for the first time ever. Fuck, those are all just so cool, like goddamn. Now I'm cruising around and somebody gave me a shitload of stuff at the Anomaly while I was busy looking at quicksilver rewards, so after selling it all I now apparently I have like 700 million credits and enough tech stuff to unlock the entire building tech tree for everything? What a nice traveler. Then I docked in my freighter to offload some stuff and an exotic ship came in so I bought it because it was cooler than my other exotic, melted down the other exotic, bought a bunch of materials, and am exploring my new galaxy in a relatively well-off state for someone that didn't abuse automated indium farming.

Anyways, I also found my first bubble planet and here's a picture of me with my blood bubble child. I lub himb because himbs a good boi

B6D95C322240DBAF7F6B9EADE76F8BDC38244537

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Ratsult2Ratsult2 Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Darmak wrote: »
    It doesn't take long before you have enough basic stuff just stacked in your inventory that you don't ever have to worry about them again, or at least not for a long time. You can upgrade your inventory space one time at each space station you come to, and I would advise getting scanner upgrades for your multitool to make earning credits easier until you decide if you wanna set up some farming or trading or whatever.

Wait, where in the space station do you upgrade your inventory space?

Ratsult2 on
  • Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    On the side of the space station where you can upgrade your equipment and ship, there's a dude that sells suit upgrades. Next to him, there's a kind of... machine?... that, if you use it, allows you to add inventory space.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    Thirith wrote: »
    On the side of the space station where you can upgrade your equipment and ship, there's a dude that sells suit upgrades. Next to him, there's a kind of... machine?... that, if you use it, allows you to add inventory space.

There's also a machine like that (they both have a hologram of the exosuit backpack) in the space anomaly in the back by Iteration Selene. You can use theirs once per system, so that's two exosuit inventory slots per system. One at the system's space station, and once at the space anomaly once you summon it to that system. The cost goes up with each slot purchased, but it does cap out. The cargo slots are more expensive. I don't remember if I mentioned it earlier, but I just recently maxed out all my slots! That's a lot of fuckin inventory space.

Also, you can find crashed drop pods on planets that can expand your inventory by one slot, but you gotta repair em. Usually requires ionized cobalt, antimatter, and I think either condensed carbon or sodium nitrate (I forget which)

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png