As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Congressional Investigations Into Trump White House

19495969798100»

• Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    Man Flynn and his lawyers must have fallen down the stairs every day growing up and made sure to hit their head on every step to be trying stuff this absurdly stupid.

• Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    Gaddez wrote: »
    Man Flynn and his lawyers must have fallen down the stairs every day growing up and made sure to hit their head on every step to be trying stuff this absurdly stupid.

His lawyers probably did not have any knowledge the documents had been altered

Or at least that’s what they’ll probably argue to the bar

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Elldren wrote: »

At this point, wouldn't an ethical lawyer (or at least one who wasn't complicit, and doesn't want to get tied to this) then drop their client?

I mean, it's one thing for a client to lie to a lawyer. It's another to give that lawyer fabricated evidence to enter into the official record, and falsely claim it's legitimate.

• Options
    Martini_PhilosopherMartini_Philosopher Registered User regular
    MorganV wrote: »

At this point, wouldn't an ethical lawyer (or at least one who wasn't complicit, and doesn't want to get tied to this) then drop their client?

I mean, it's one thing for a client to lie to a lawyer. It's another to give that lawyer fabricated evidence to enter into the official record, and falsely claim it's legitimate.

That's at least a referral to the state bar association for investigation of the incident, if not sanctions.

All opinions are my own and in no way reflect that of my employer.
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular

What if they received that evidence from the DOJ?

• Options
    Taramoor wrote: »

Well... fuck. That's a realistic nightmare possibility.

• Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    I kind of get the sense that they feel they're protected by the DoJ, and the case is already over anyway, so they're making these wacky, aggressive plays because no one is going to punish them for it. And yeah, it's very likely those new documents came from the DoJ. They recently did a sit down interview with one of the investigators and quickly published summaries of that interview in an obvious attempt to further smear the investigation, so they probably "updated" documents with that new information.

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Taramoor wrote: »

Well... fuck. That's a realistic nightmare possibility.

I hadn’t considered it came anywhere BUT the Barr arm of the DOJ that is both trying to get Flynn off AND ruin Strzok’s life

• Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Marcy Wheeler, a law writer, has been livetweeting the Flynn hearing today.

BREAKING: DOJ JUST HELD THAT THEY CAN'T PROSECUTE PEOPLE W/O A RECORDING OF THEIR LIES.

That sound you just heard was a million appeals lawyers quoting Flynn's dumbfuck hack lawyers.

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    So every defense attorney just simultaneously orgasmed right?

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    So, what about all the states that have two party consent wiretap laws? That appears to be California, Connecticut, Florida, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, Montana, New Hampshire, Pennsylvania and Washington.

Only the most stupid people would get in trouble there.

Hmm... after the Woodward interviews, that means Trump is still at risk.

• Options
    Martini_PhilosopherMartini_Philosopher Registered User regular
    ArcTangent wrote: »
    Marcy Wheeler, a law writer, has been livetweeting the Flynn hearing today.

BREAKING: DOJ JUST HELD THAT THEY CAN'T PROSECUTE PEOPLE W/O A RECORDING OF THEIR LIES.

That sound you just heard was a million appeals lawyers quoting Flynn's dumbfuck hack lawyers.

The context here is important to understand just how stupid of an argument this is.

This was about the FBI interview of Flynn and the fact that the FBI tossed their recording into the bit recyclers after they produced the transcript that was then verified, signed by Flynn and lawyer, and registered with the court.

That makes this the prosecution attempting to run back the confession to the crimes after having already proved that there were crimes for the defense.

I hope the judge survives the simulaneous aynerism and stroke in order to throw the book at everyone involved in this. Including but especially Barr.

All opinions are my own and in no way reflect that of my employer.
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    From the Flynn Hearing.

NPR Reporter.

Former federal judge John Gleeson, appointed as amicus in Flynn case, says, "I can't believe some of the things I'm hearing." He says Flynn pleaded guilty twice then checked the which way the winds blew. "Not for nothing, but this crime was committed in the West Wing," he says.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    How is the written document not a recording?
    It was signed and vetted by both the confessor and his lawyer?!

tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • Options
    evilthecat wrote: »
    How is the written document not a recording?
    It was signed and vetted by both the confessor and his lawyer?!

Because now, they don't want it to be?

That appears to be what's happening.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dx32b5igLwA

Originally as comedy, now as farce.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    depositions and transcripts are no longer records folks!

• Options
    This feels like an appeal to like CSI level jury nullification "well if they had so much why don't they have this additional unnecessary thing" but like directed at a judge who would seemingly know why.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    I know some of you have already pointed it out, but it's kind of insane to me that they're trying to buffalo the amicus judge with this "Lionel Hutz surprise witness" level of trash. This is the guy you need to win over so that it never gets back to Sullivan.

• Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular

EXCLUSIVE: Hospitalized Brad Parscale 'is under investigation for stealing up to $40M from Trump's campaign'

Grifters gotta grift.

Only the best people.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    Need we forget he was hospitilized following beating his wife and threatening to kill her. So much of the press is giving him a pass on being a suspected domestic abuser.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Romantic UndeadRomantic Undead Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Need we forget he was hospitilized following beating his wife and threatening to kill her. So much of the press is giving him a pass on being a suspected domestic abuser.

Even worse, I saw some right-wing pundit (sorry, don't remember who) being outraged at how roughly the police treated him. I may have audibly screamed when I heard that.

3DS FC: 1547-5210-6531
  • Options
    Preacher wrote: »

Even worse, I saw some right-wing pundit (sorry, don't remember who) being outraged at how roughly the police treated him. I may have audibly screamed when I heard that.

Yeah I heard some hand wringing about him being taken down like he was. If only he'd complied as they say.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    The take I saw was essentially "where were the mental health care professionals"?

This was an account that did not like defund the police stuff

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Dark_Side wrote: »
    I know some of you have already pointed it out, but it's kind of insane to me that they're trying to buffalo the amicus judge with this "Lionel Hutz surprise witness" level of trash. This is the guy you need to win over so that it never gets back to Sullivan.

This isn’t just Flynn’s lawyers

It’s the DOJ

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular

It’s the DOJ

What's the difference?

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular

It’s the DOJ

“We don’t have evidence to prosecute this crime because we intentionally destroyed it” sure is an argument.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular

It’s the DOJ

What's the difference?

DoJ statements and decisions carry a lot of weight. If suddenly their official position is "Evidence only counts in its original form, even if the accused confesses to the charge and signs the transcript" then that opens a massive can of legal worms.

• Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular

It’s the DOJ

What's the difference?

DoJ statements and decisions carry a lot of weight. If suddenly their official position is "Evidence only counts in its original form, even if the accused confesses to the charge and signs the transcript" then that opens a massive can of legal worms.

Lawyers can argue an stupid shit they want, it has no bearing on what the law actually says about the validity of evidence. It's just normally the defense lawyer doing it and not the prosecution trying to actively sabotage their own case.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular

It’s the DOJ

What's the difference?

well, I think everyone knows that everything this DOJ does is going to have an asterisk next to it that's visible from space.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    More of an aster than an asterisk, really.

• Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    More of an aster than an asterisk, really.

If it's visible from space, it could be an asteroid.

You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.