As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Kids] are the best of times, the worst of times

19495969798100»

• lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Magic school bus! Magic school bus!
    Octonauts!
    Super Why!!!!!!!!
    Number blocks!

I have jealousy that you have Sesame Street as an option.

And I'm going to go against most wisdom but Peppa Pig is not painful to listen to add an adult. They're are very clever adult jokes scattered throughout.

• SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    Oliver has often enjoyed Ponyo and Totoro, but he never asks for them. It's worth trying the Fantasia movies, just skip the scarier ones.

PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Octonauts!
    Super Why!!!!!!!!
    Number blocks!

And I'm going to go against most wisdom but Peppa Pig is not painful to listen to add an adult. They're are very clever adult jokes scattered throughout.

we recently got into Peppa and I quite like it!

• Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    That chart is full of wrong opinions!

50433.png?1708759015
  • lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »
    Octonauts!
    Super Why!!!!!!!!
    Number blocks!

we recently got into Peppa and I quite like it!

Also check out Ben and Holly. A lot of the same voice actors, and really good writing.

• LuianeLuiane Registered User regular
    Aldo wrote: »
    Luiane wrote: »
    I think that's around when we started showing Shaun the sheep, which is still the no 1 favourite as he grows close to 2.

Which I don't mind, since it's fairly funny for a kid show.

We watched the spin-off Timmy Time, it's about the young animals going to daycare. Has no spoken word, so easier to follow for 2 year olds.

Theres no spoken words in Shaun the Sheep either, unless you count the humans mubling sounds as talking.

Steam id: Varys
    LoL EU West nickname: Irridan
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Banzai5150 wrote: »

you can make your own if you'd like:

https://tiermaker.com/create/netflix-childrens-shows-for-kids-under-3--595686

• Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Brolo wrote: »

you can make your own if you'd like:

I would, but what Kate watched is a mix of Netflix /Prime Video/and until recently prime contained PBS Kids and a ton of other kids programming that has since splintered off into their own pay channels. But to be honest, I think she found more joy out of Prime Video stuff than Netflix.

Paw Patrol she liked quite a bit before she even understood what was going on.
    Puffin Rock was awesome.
    Daniel Tiger was mesmerizing to her and even at the almost ripe age of 5, she still watches it.
    Baby Einsteins
    Backyardigans

Banzai5150 on
    50433.png?1708759015
  • Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    What is up with pooping unicorn toys

We bought a plush little unicorn to keep a meltdown at bay while running errands and we learned that when you squeeze it, it’s butthole prolapses out, a bulbous, semi transparent ball full of hair gel and glitter

kae0eitjmhzx.jpeg

Well of course once my daughter realized she could squeeze this unicorns butt out, she did it nonstop and it burst

Glitter everywhere, and when she held the unicorn up it just .... glittery anal leakage dripping out of it all over

WHY DO THESE TOYS EXIST

Captain Inertia on
  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    What is up with pooping unicorn toys

We bought a plush little unicorn to keep a meltdown at bay while running errands and we learned that when you squeeze it, it’s butthole prolapses out, a bulbous, semi transparent ball full of hair gel and glitter

kae0eitjmhzx.jpeg

Well of course once my daughter realized she could squeeze this unicorns butt out, she did it nonstop and it burst

Glitter everywhere, and when she held the unicorn up it just .... glittery anal leakage dripping out of it all over

WHY DO THESE TOYS EXIST

https://youtu.be/t0XHqO9XNeY

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Reminds me of that news about how the companies that make glitter are fiercely protective of how it's made (or even what goes into it) and that there's some product out that that people would be unpleasantly shocked to discover it included glitter, so they are extra secretive about that client.

• honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    So which bombs and missiles contain glitter?

• AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    That thing is the worst, holy moly!

I think it stems from the meme-adjacent-thing that unicorns shit rainbows, but I wouldn't know why that is even a thing. I hate everything about glitter and poop and pee jokes, so nyuurrrrrr

• plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    Long time since I've been here, hello again fellow PArents and caregivers.

So O, my youngest, is now 4. Every day he is having huge tantrums in the evening, worse than he did when he was younger, and he just seeks something, anything as an excuse to do it. Good lord do I hate behavioural regression.

3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
    I noticed around 4 is when Ellie streets going a bit mental in the early evening. So instead of us doing family dinner, she eats first. As soon as well get home from daycare at 5pm she gets food.

They give her a late snack at school, around 430/445 but she's still hungry.

Lately it's just been cold food that is fast, cucumber slices, shredded cheese, deli shaved chicken. That's usually enough to tide her over until hot food is cooked, if she's having any hot food. Most nights she doesn't. And if she does it's like scrambled eggs or pasta.

I noticed a big change in her once I put food into her. Not saying that you haven't tried this, but it changed a lot on our house.

She and I still have our afternoon battles on occasion. But that's usually due to either her daddy promising her something in the morning but not telling me the promise, or she does something egregiously naughty and I have to limit her freedoms a bit.

Good luck

And right on schedule: he decided he was hungry while dinner was in the oven (chicken, cauliflower, carrot, chicken and ham pasta bake), and he's decided nope, he wants blueberries. Since he was told no, all he has said is "I want blueberries" over and over and OVER. won't try dinner, won't even sit at the table.

I spent a WHILE on this dinner, it's so fucking frustrating.

steam_sig.png
    edited September 2020
    Nearly 45 minutes of this shit. We don't even have blueberries!

We gave up, he's having baked beans. Jokes on him, dinner is fucking delicious.

plufim on
    steam_sig.png
    Oh yeah that sounds so familiar.

I'm here for empathy mate. You can get through this.

edited September 2020
    Thanks! We might give th he early dinner for him a shot, but it might be complicated feeding his older brother later. Tbh it doesn't seem to matter what it is, just every night around 6 he finds something to lose his mind over

plufim on
    steam_sig.png
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    plufim wrote: »
    Nearly 45 minutes of this shit. We don't even have blueberries!

We gave up, he's having baked beans. Jokes on him, dinner is fucking delicious.
    Yep, I understand this very well.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • PerrsunPerrsun Registered User regular
    Other than LBB songs on repeat, the favorite in this house is Super Wings.

Robot planes fly across the world delivering packages, then help out with a conveniently timed problem the recipient has. We especially like how it gives a snapshot of different places in the world, shows different cultures, that sort of thing.

plufim wrote: »
    Thanks! We might give th he early dinner for him a shot, but it might be complicated feeding his older brother later. Tbh it doesn't seem to matter what it is, just every night around 6 he finds something to lose his mind over

Even if it's just a quick snack.

Mum referred to that time as the witching hour. They're tired, hungry, and ready to crash, but can't yet.

Maybe just some crackers and cheese add a tide over until dinner. Give them options for snack.

Ellie has recently started wanting to be in the kitchen with me, so when we get home, she gets her plate of cold food and gets a seat on the bench while I make dinner. Her favourite thing to eat is roast chicken. So if I'm making a whole chicken, she did and munch on her light dinner while helping me season the bird and prep veggies. It used to be just salt. Then salt and pepper. And this last time I was allowed to do salt, pepper, and garlic.

Then she waits the ninety minutes for dinner to be done and eats like half a chicken by herself.

Even chicken on the bone. She's such a weird kid. In a good way

• SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    I would like one decent night's sleep please.

Currently feels like a never ending cycle of teething, sleep regressions and sicknesses that are keeping him up or causing him to constantly wake throughout the night....

SharpyVII on
    Yep, right there with you. Although today was almost okay. The angelica balm seems to have worked

• MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    honovere wrote: »
    Yep, right there with you. Although today was almost okay. The angelica balm seems to have worked

So you'd say they were satisfied with it?

MichaelLC wrote: »
    honovere wrote: »

So you'd say they were satisfied with it?

It's the feeling of freedom, of seeing the light

• MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Thanks it’s just a curiosity I’ve kicked around for a few years. The other option is Canada. I’d love to move to Italy and buy one of the $1 fix it up deals. We just hate Florida and are trying to figure out where to move to. We want snowy winters and all the seasons. The wife is in school to be a nurse so that opens up job opportunities. For me? At 53 I can pick up just about anything to help out if the kids are back in school.

Edit-: I knew we’d hate Florida but we came to help with my father who has since passed so no reason to stay.

Just going to throw out Minnesota. In particular, Rochester, MN. Guaranteed employment at Mayo and house prices aren't insane.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Hello.

Covid question. Those who have kids going to school, what are they doing vis a vis temp checks, mask requirements, desk spacing, etc?

We need to decide if we want to keep doing eLearning or hybrid. Hybrid seems like a poop show to me; all of the downsides none of the benefits.

• RanlinRanlin Oh gosh Registered User regular
    we're still technically distance learning only, but they've started small scale bringing in kindergarteners and special needs/life skills students

...and there's already spread through the school staff. Hybrid would be a terrible shitshow I think, I'm committed to full distance learning until a safe vaccine.

Maybe your district will do better, but it's hard to get around the risk presented by children being together indoors for hours, poorly worn masks or no.

• MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    Hybrid here is mandated random temp checks (but in reality, everyone at my kids' school is being checked because it's small). There's an app that tracks that your kid went to school that day and has questions about fever, contact with anyone with COVID, symptoms, travel to hotspots, etc. Not sure the penalty for lying on the app, but at least it asks. Masks required, and kids get sent home if they won't wear them, but I haven't seen that tested yet. They are keeping the classes small, and trying to keeps kids spread out, but there's not a lot of desk time at their school, so.. I mean, they try. Windows open so far in the rooms, but we'll see as winter comes.
    I think we're supposed to get random COVID testing of students starting.. next week? Soonish. But all schools close down if 7-day average infection rate is above 3% for the city.
    It's a risk no matter how they do it. My kids really regressed in the spring, and thrived in summer camp, so we made the decision to go with hybrid for them.

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Lord DaveLord Dave Grief Causer Bitch Free ZoneRegistered User regular
    Somebody asked for kids TV recommendations earlier and I need to put in a word for Sarah and Duck because it is the best
    Not sure if it's streaming free anywhere any more but it's on Amazon

mkc.png
    Thanks for the COVID comments.

When I send the links to the wife, Messages pulls the Peppa Pig clip link from Peen as the preview image which is pretty good.

• kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    MichaelLC wrote: »
    Hello.

Covid question. Those who have kids going to school, what are they doing vis a vis temp checks, mask requirements, desk spacing, etc?

We need to decide if we want to keep doing eLearning or hybrid. Hybrid seems like a poop show to me; all of the downsides none of the benefits.

Our preschool is doing temp checks, social distancing (sort of, there's a limit to that with 3-year-olds), masks for everyone, small class sizes (7 total kids in her class now, that may grow if cases continue going down), limiting the number of people in the school (it goes up to fifth grade, but right now it's just preschool and kindergarten), and no interaction from people in her class with anyone else in the school. You have to sign daily that no one in your family or who you've been in contact with has Covid symptoms, lying on that could potentially get you kicked from the school (an implied threat, but it didn't seem super ambiguous to me). If you travel or have contact with anyone or have symptoms, you are supposed to stay home and do virtual learning as best you can for the duration.

They have windows in the classrooms that they keep opened, they clean the rooms a couple times throughout the day (although I don't think that matters much), and they have some heavy-duty air filter/purifier thing.

A couple of those things aren't the biggest deal to me for Covid-protection, like cleaning the surfaces (although that's nice in general I suppose). But most of the rest are make-or-break for me.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile