As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Quit your [job] thread

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Hey, everybody!

There is a job opening within my department (graduate school-level IT/AV) that I want to share but not sure what the proper way to go about it (tried to search for an example on here but couldn't find a recent post).

Do I drop the link to the description here with some insight to the job or just have interested forumers DM me for the link and info?

Thanks in advance!

getting people to DM you is probably better, for privacy reasons. It's been done that way in the past anyway

• Options
    ani_game_bumani_game_bum Optimistic, Rule-Breaking Nice Guy The Final World/DestinationRegistered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    Hey, everybody!

There is a job opening within my department (graduate school-level IT/AV) that I want to share but not sure what the proper way to go about it (tried to search for an example on here but couldn't find a recent post).

Do I drop the link to the description here with some insight to the job or just have interested forumers DM me for the link and info?

Thanks in advance!

getting people to DM you is probably better, for privacy reasons. It's been done that way in the past anyway

Thanks, I'll go that route then.

Anyone interested please DM for the job link and questions; I'll do my best to answer/clarify.

steam_sig.pngPSN: ani_game_bum Battle.net ID: Anigamebum#1354 Genshin UID: 660694297 Switch FC: SW-2127-8288-6505 Steam Wishlist
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    I sent off an order to our warehouse for two boxes of an item, total billed to our budget center should have been less than $12. I overhear my GM complaining about an invoice for the items I ordered, had him forward it to me. Turns out guy at the warehouse thought two boxes wasn't enough, better bill us for 30 boxes!

I love when I have to contact somebody else's boss to fix a problem and then at the end they cc in the employee who fucked up.

• Options
    The thing that really gets me about this, was that my boss wasn't going to look any further into why somebody had apparently ordered thirty boxes(for ninety individual units) of wall mounted broom holders.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Hell yeah, deli quidditch. Sport of kings.

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Well because at the hell known to men over the summer many managers were fired or quit. They will have the computer order so the odd thing is if the item's home can hold maybe 1 and a half boxes the computer will order 3 boxes so it's quite annoying with the amount of freight piling up

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Fuck I really hate workplace well-being surveys.

I never know how to answer them. Like, do you really want me to be completely honest about how little I give a fuck about the company's supposed social goals? Do you want me to just accept the premise that the company has altruistic intent, or should I do away with the pretense?

Like seriously.

One of the questions was "My work helps me fulfill my sense of purpose in life." And you had to answer on a scale of strongly agree to strongly disagree.

There's sadly no, "what? No. Fuck off" option.

Doing these surveys is bad for my well-being. Just stop pretending you give a shit about your numbers on a spreadsheet. Just pay me and go away.

• Options

I never know how to answer them. Like, do you really want me to be completely honest about how little I give a fuck about the company's supposed social goals? Do you want me to just accept the premise that the company has altruistic intent, or should I do away with the pretense?

Like seriously.

One of the questions was "My work helps me fulfill my sense of purpose in life." And you had to answer on a scale of strongly agree to strongly disagree.

Doing these surveys is bad for my well-being. Just stop pretending you give a shit about your numbers on a spreadsheet. Just pay me and go away.

Not cool. There's at least one person in every company whose entire job depends on creating and sending out company well-being surveys, and you're seriously impacting their continued well-being by not filling out the survey.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    I mean, I filled out the survey.

And it was contracted to another company.

I'll fill out the bullshit surveys. But they still enrage me

• Options
    BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »

Like seriously.

Not cool. There's at least one person in every company whose entire job depends on creating and sending out company well-being surveys, and you're seriously impacting their continued well-being by not filling out the survey.

This was meant to be a joke, right?

• Options
    BlazeFire wrote: »

Like seriously.

It was! Sorry, I consistently underestimate how dark to throw when making work jokes.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Yeah it took me a bit after I replied to realize you were probably joking.

I just really wish the company would stop treating us like we're stupid. It's a international telecommunications company.

They really only want to make money and do not care about my well-being unless it's going to effect their bottom line.

So they should stop pretending that they care.

• Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    Boy I feel for the folks working at the Dollar General the next town over on my way to and from work. A customer walked out with their bathroom key, meaning not even the employees can go in there.

Employees and customers have to go around the side of a building to use the single porta potty until corporate deems them worthy enough to send someone to unlock their bathrooms.

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    Surely that is an issue for OSHA?

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    You mean the Agency headed by Trump appointee Loren Sweatt?

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    That's really a kick in the door kind of situation. Or pick the lock, or remove the doorknob, whatever it takes.

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    then corporate calls the police on you when they review the security footage.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options

Is this?
    4egnkqwlvf6a.png
    zbn0ckilj0b7.png

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    Hmm...

I haven't worked stock in a while but

things used to pull around hundreds of pounds of product should probably... not be broken.

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    ChicoBlue wrote: »
    Hmm...

I haven't worked stock in a while but

things used to pull around hundreds of pounds of product should probably... not be broken.

Hundreds of pounds? Try literally tons.

• Options
    They are still used that is the frightening thing as many of the pallet jacks have worn out bearings the two broken do not so...

• Options
    ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    How everyone at work sees my computing skills:

PostHuman.jpg

Me closing Excel and trying to do the most elementary stuff from the command line:

47695000-lost-tourist-with-map.jpg

• Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    At least you see yourself in a snazzy hat.

Like seriously.

It was! Sorry, I consistently underestimate how dark to throw when making work jokes.

No.

No.

Your post should be written on a ten point scale between strongly agree and strongly disagree.

• Options
    Brainleech wrote: »

Is this?
    4egnkqwlvf6a.png
    zbn0ckilj0b7.png

I mean... yea. That would be.

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Morning safety meeting in the ER: do not bring found grenades into the office.
    it wasn't real

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    In group chat this morning: I am trying desperately to get through my monthly audit before I lose power, it's been flickering all morning.

My team in individual chats: Hey, I know you're busy, but...

• Options
    I'm starting to not like my reputation of knowing everything around here. I shouldn't be the person advising the HR rep on what we need to recover from an employee going through termination.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular

That's a disagree. As someone who runs those type of surveys (caveat - some people who run these are dicks) PLEASE answer honestly so we can beat senior management with the number cudgel. Most often senior management is meeting with each other and doesn't have enough "on the ground" info because it just isn't their daily world. Surveys are one of the instruments we use to get better info out there in a quantified format. There's other ways, but they're invasive and unreliable, so we prefer not to even open that door - surveys are opt-in. For the engaged groups we've made meaningful improvements and been able to help people make decisions that make daily life in our company materially better.

Key things to be aware of:
    1. Is it anonymous? Most likely yes - GDPR et al have made tracked surveys a giant pain. That said - compare your link with a coworkers - if they're different it's likely tracked. That said, anytime I run a tracked survey it's just to be able to do business unit breakouts, not for any nefarious reasons. I've never once been asked to unmask a commenter, and I've dropped some hot fire on some of the presentation slide decks.
    2. Does it matter? Depends on how much people care about their employees. Surveys only work if they're tied to real action, so I'd recommend asking about what they do with the results action-planning wise.
    3. Why is it a crappy survey? Most people don't understand how to properly use survey. It's a sentiment instrument, but people think that humans can answer various questions that they truly cannot. It sucks, because management will repeatedly ask for questions that can't be answered properly (like how much time do you spend doing X) - this is why ideally survey is just one instrument in an array that help describe employee experience.

• Options
    ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular
    I'm always nervous in the back of my mind those surveys are going to be tied back to me somehow. I answer honestly enough most times, because at this point I'm just saturated in dread/fatigue/depression about my job, I can't even bother trying to sugarcoat how I feel about work. As long as the checks are good and I can pay my monthly bills, that's about the extent I can muster to care about work. I've seen too many times how work will drop our asses at the drop of a hat to make some quarterly goal couched in business-speak, so forgive me if I tick the "Strongly Disagree" pip when it comes to "fulfillment" of my role. :(

• Options
    sponospono Mining for Nose Diamonds Booger CoveRegistered User regular
    Oh hey I just filled out our survey too

I'm guessing these are all coming from the same place

Here is what I wrote in the comments box at the end, prompted by "What are the things keeping you from performing your job to the fullest extent possible":

There are no defined criteria for advancement or pay increases. We are often hammered with threats against our yearly bonuses (make sure to complete your safety training!), but we are never told how to get a promotion or a raise. We, like most other businesses, keep everyone's pay grade secret in order to keep lower-paid employees in the dark about how much they are being underpaid.

640qocnq4ske.gif
  • Options
    We used to get weekly surveys when you log onto the company web page to do stuff
    Mostly it was how are you this week and why? They asked awkward questions about pay after they stopped the pandemic pay and again after the rumor they were rasing the rates supports and such get
    There is another one that popped up but I think it's the usual deep dive one

• Options
    DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    schuss wrote: »

That's a disagree. As someone who runs those type of surveys (caveat - some people who run these are dicks) PLEASE answer honestly so we can beat senior management with the number cudgel. Most often senior management is meeting with each other and doesn't have enough "on the ground" info because it just isn't their daily world. Surveys are one of the instruments we use to get better info out there in a quantified format. There's other ways, but they're invasive and unreliable, so we prefer not to even open that door - surveys are opt-in. For the engaged groups we've made meaningful improvements and been able to help people make decisions that make daily life in our company materially better.

Key things to be aware of:
    1. Is it anonymous? Most likely yes - GDPR et al have made tracked surveys a giant pain. That said - compare your link with a coworkers - if they're different it's likely tracked. That said, anytime I run a tracked survey it's just to be able to do business unit breakouts, not for any nefarious reasons. I've never once been asked to unmask a commenter, and I've dropped some hot fire on some of the presentation slide decks.
    2. Does it matter? Depends on how much people care about their employees. Surveys only work if they're tied to real action, so I'd recommend asking about what they do with the results action-planning wise.
    3. Why is it a crappy survey? Most people don't understand how to properly use survey. It's a sentiment instrument, but people think that humans can answer various questions that they truly cannot. It sucks, because management will repeatedly ask for questions that can't be answered properly (like how much time do you spend doing X) - this is why ideally survey is just one instrument in an array that help describe employee experience.

When you run these types of surveys, do you also include the weirdly intrusive questions that Hava was complaining about, concerning whether "My work helps me fulfill my sense of purpose in life"?

Surveys in general can be helpful, but questions like this foster an unhealthy expectation that work should be... spiritually fulfilling? No. Just no. Even if I generally like my job, it's something I do so I don't fucking starve in the streets. My sense of purpose in life is not tied to making the numbers go up for a corporation.

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Yeah, you don't owe your employer a goddamned thing past doing your job

Your job should not be your life, or your life's passion, unless you're like dream job is your actual job and you are self employed or living the actual dream of getting paid to follow your passion

In which case you're probably not getting coerced into doing weird intrusive prying surveys

• Options
    ChallChall Registered User regular
    Yes, of course filling out these spreadsheets with numbers from other spreadsheets makes me feel like I'm fulfilling my life's true purpose. Why would you think otherwise?

• Options
    FlarneFlarne Registered User regular
    My job is sometimes to make life slightly easier for accountants by automating their most boring tasks. It’s pretty fulfilling.

Other times my job is to do pointless bullshit so an IT auditor can tick some boxes. It’s unfulfilling.

Gotta make sure I keep my filling-level balanced.

• Options
    Protesters are being assholes today. First a bunch came in and marched through the store with drums and loudspeakers trying to convince us to walk out for an issue our union is already working on, and now they've pulled the fire alarm.

• Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    Weaver wrote: »
    Protesters are being assholes today. First a bunch came in and marched through the store with drums and loudspeakers trying to convince us to walk out for an issue our union is already working on, and now they've pulled the fire alarm.

Yeah! Why can't they just enjoy the taste of boots like the rest of us?!

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    What are they protesting and why aren't they coordinating with the union if they apparently share the same aims?

• Options
    Tef wrote: »
    Weaver wrote: »

Yeah! Why can't they just enjoy the taste of boots like the rest of us?!

Oh fuck off.

• Options
    3clipse wrote: »
    What are they protesting and why aren't they coordinating with the union if they apparently share the same aims?

I guess there was a larger BLM protest nearby and a group split to come down here because our parent company in Ohio banned employees from wearing anything BLM related like buttons or pins, which the union is pushing back on.

This discussion has been closed.