As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Penny Arcade - Comic - Impactful

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited September 2020 in The Penny Arcade Hub
imagePenny Arcade - Comic - Impactful

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    I laughed at the comic, but then I logged into Gems of War to grab my PvP glory, Faction Renown rewards, 4 different kinds of keys and play a few rounds to unlock more copies of a buff pet.

• Options
    Evil_MonkeysEvil_Monkeys Registered User regular
    Oh god...a cool anime MMO with a gacha component. I think if you combine that many addictive qualities together you have to register it as a drug.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    The game also has a season pass after you hit level 20. This thing is crammed full of current monetization strategies.

I'm surprised I haven't had anyone try to sell me a hat so far though.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    T-DangerT-Danger Registered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    The game also has a season pass after you hit level 20. This thing is crammed full of current monetization strategies.

What really pisses me off about these monetization strategies is that none of them seem to trust the user to just give them money in exchange for a in-game item.

You want to buy that nice looking model or skin? Oh you can't just buy it. You have to wait several hours until it randomly appears in the in-game store. Or buy a pass that gives you the item, so long as you complete a set of arbitary tasks in the game. And its all geared toward people who apparently have nothing better to do than play the game for entire days at a time. is

Rocket League is a major sinner at the moment. Remember when you could just buy all those cool licenced cars like Knight Rider and the Delorean from the E-shop? Not any more, unless you come across them in a random blueprint.

It's maddening, because any real life business that operated like this would go bust quickly, but they seem to keep thriving in things like Fortnite.
    Just let me buy the things I want without all this bullshit in the way.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    T-Danger wrote: »

It's maddening, because any real life business that operated like this would go bust quickly, but they seem to keep thriving in things like Fortnite.

Businesses are operating on this model; see launch sneakers/consoles/phones, etc. Or "pop up" store or limited releases of Hidden Valley Ranch Wine or whatever the Hell that are designed purely for the bragging rights to get people to advertise for you and pay you for that privilege.

Is already being normalized that you should want something because of its artificial scarcity, not because of its quality or value.

• Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    Oh god...a cool anime MMO with a gacha component. I think if you combine that many addictive qualities together you have to register it as a drug.

It's not a MMO, but a Breath of the Wild clone with gacha mechanics. A.K.A. Breath of the Waifu.

• Options
    BropocalypseBropocalypse Registered User regular

You want to buy that nice looking model or skin? Oh you can't just buy it. You have to wait several hours until it randomly appears in the in-game store. Or buy a pass that gives you the item, so long as you complete a set of arbitary tasks in the game. And its all geared toward people who apparently have nothing better to do than play the game for entire days at a time.

It's the opposite. The idea is to *force* you to play for several days so that it becomes a habit, thus exposing you more towards its own advertisements and marketing. Getting rewards randomly is the most habit-forming mechanic there is.

• Options
    homogenizedhomogenized Registered User regular

You want to buy that nice looking model or skin? Oh you can't just buy it. You have to wait several hours until it randomly appears in the in-game store. Or buy a pass that gives you the item, so long as you complete a set of arbitary tasks in the game. And its all geared toward people who apparently have nothing better to do than play the game for entire days at a time.

It's the opposite. The idea is to *force* you to play for several days so that it becomes a habit, thus exposing you more towards its own advertisements and marketing. Getting rewards randomly is the most habit-forming mechanic there is.

I'm surprised I never connected variable reinforcement schedules to "random drop" mechanics until I read this comment.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular

What really pisses me off about these monetization strategies is that none of them seem to trust the user to just give them money in exchange for a in-game item.

You want to buy that nice looking model or skin? Oh you can't just buy it. You have to wait several hours until it randomly appears in the in-game store. Or buy a pass that gives you the item, so long as you complete a set of arbitary tasks in the game. And its all geared toward people who apparently have nothing better to do than play the game for entire days at a time. is

Rocket League is a major sinner at the moment. Remember when you could just buy all those cool licenced cars like Knight Rider and the Delorean from the E-shop? Not any more, unless you come across them in a random blueprint.

That's how gambling works.

• Options
    KagatoACKagatoAC Registered User regular
    Eh, still enjoying it for what it is, and I'll never spend a dime unless at some point I decide it really worth the point of entry of a game for me. The Gacha portion of it has yet to make me go "oh i gotta have that, Now!"

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2020

I'm surprised I never connected variable reinforcement schedules to "random drop" mechanics until I read this comment.

To get all serious, it's why people stay in abusive relationships too.
    "Oh they got me flowers today, I'll forgive them for hitting me yesterday."

See my TED Talk, Everything I Know About Love I Learned From The Joker and Harley Quinn.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    ironzergironzerg Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    I remember the days back when we use to kill monsters in MMORPGS, collected gold, and got nice loot for our characters. Not as clumsy or random as gacha; an elegant system for a more civilized time.

ironzerg on
  • Options
    ironzerg wrote: »
    I remember the days back when we use to kill monsters in MMORPGS, collected gold, and got nice loot for our characters. Not as clumsy or random as gacha; an elegant system for a more civilized time.

Yeah, those 1% raid drops sure were a ton better :rotate:

• Options
    ironzergironzerg Registered User regular
    Nightslyr wrote: »

As opposed to swiping your credit card for a 0.01% chance of something cool. /shrug

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular

Compared to literally selling them to you, yes it was better.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options

As opposed to swiping your credit card for a 0.01% chance of something cool. /shrug

Given the time taken to do a raid (finding a group, the learning phase, the farming phase, dealing with the inevitable interpersonal drama, etc.), and that you need to pay about $15/month for that 'privilege' plus whatever each expansion costs...

I honestly don't see much of a difference. You're still paying for a really low chance of obtaining a certain configuration of data and pixels.

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular

Given the time taken to do a raid (finding a group, the learning phase, the farming phase, dealing with the inevitable interpersonal drama, etc.), and that you need to pay about $15/month for that 'privilege' plus whatever each expansion costs...

I honestly don't see much of a difference. You're still paying for a really low chance of obtaining a certain configuration of data and pixels.

Presumably you'd enjoy the time spent in the game even if you didn't get the drop you wanted so you still got something out of it. If you weren't enjoying it then you probably should be spending your time and money on something else.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Look. If you want to conserve your Mythril, and especially if you don’t want to use Gems, you gotta keep track of your Anima Lenses. If you spend them right, you’ll be able to selectively get the Relics for a lot of different Soul Breaks needed to outfit your heroes. Of course, Anima Lenses+ can only be acquired by spending Mythril, but those are only used for Hero Abilities you find st the end of the Record Board. You won’t need those until you’re ass-deep in the Magicite mines. And by then, you’ll probably have a bunch of USBs, BSBs, and maybe even some AASBs. And then there’s Artifact Stones, but that’s for later.

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Enlong wrote: »
    Look. If you want to conserve your Mythril, and especially if you don’t want to use Gems, you gotta keep track of your Anima Lenses. If you spend them right, you’ll be able to selectively get the Relics for a lot of different Soul Breaks needed to outfit your heroes. Of course, Anima Lenses+ can only be acquired by spending Mythril, but those are only used for Hero Abilities you find st the end of the Record Board. You won’t need those until you’re ass-deep in the Magicite mines. And by then, you’ll probably have a bunch of USBs, BSBs, and maybe even some AASBs. And then there’s Artifact Stones, but that’s for later.

The sick thing is your parody example was both more coherent and more reasonable-sounding than some of these kinds of multiple in-game currency/resource grind situations.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    I just assumed that wasn't parody, it sounds like just about every "games as service" title I've played in the last five years

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    LttlefootLttlefoot Registered User regular
    Games are just math now

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular

I wasn't sure if this was a parody or just a copy paste from the next game over.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    Poe's Law has come to gaming.

• Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular

I wasn't sure if this was a parody or just a copy paste from the next game over.

Without looking it up: Final Fantasy Record Keeper?

• Options
    MarcinMNMarcinMN Registered User regular
    dennis wrote: »
    Poe's Law has come to gaming.

I feel like I am almost always including a smile or wink emoticon after things I post online. I guess it shows how seriously I take the internet these days.

;)

"It's just as I've always said. We are being digested by an amoral universe."

-Tycho Brahe
  • Options
    BillieVeeBillieVee Registered User regular

I wasn't sure anything in this strip was real until I looked it up. I'm a bit out of touch, I guess.

• Options
    Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    I picked it up on the strength of some reviews, although they were so kind as to include a warning as to the game’s, to put it kindly because at least it’s not a $60 game heavily monetized on the back end, “sustainability” model.

Might be a “hit it and quit it” kind of deal. But I’ll give it a look.

"Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    H3Knuckles wrote: »

The sick thing is your parody example was both more coherent and more reasonable-sounding than some of these kinds of multiple in-game currency/resource grind situations.

...Parody? That's literally Final Fantasy Record Keeper and it's still only scratching the surface

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Yes. Albeit with use of some fan-made acronyms.

• Options
    ShowsniShowsni Registered User regular
    It's all very simple. Spend real money to get Genesis Crystals, spend Genesis Crystals to get Primogems, spend Primogems to get Acquaint Fates or Intertwined Fates. Use Fates to make Wishes to randomly get character or weapons, and which will also give you Stardust or Starglitter, that you can then spend to purchase Fates.

Or just ignore that whole system and use the characters the game gives you for free, which have been working just fine for me so far.

• Options
    Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    Showsni wrote: »
    It's all very simple. Spend real money to get Genesis Crystals, spend Genesis Crystals to get Primogems, spend Primogems to get Acquaint Fates or Intertwined Fates. Use Fates to make Wishes to randomly get character or weapons, and which will also give you Stardust or Starglitter, that you can then spend to purchase Fates.

Or just ignore that whole system and use the characters the game gives you for free, which have been working just fine for me so far.

8fvidv6re74m.jpeg]

"Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
  • Options
    DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Showsni wrote: »

I went with a compromise. I participated in the Wishes to the extent that the game let me do for free, which gave me 3 new characters and a few more weapons of the same quality the game naturally drops.

Djiem on
  • Options
    shadowysea07shadowysea07 Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    ff record keeper wise they give you lots of free stuff so its very easy to play without paying for anything. The main things you'd want and have to go out of your way to get are the blue gems you idiotically have to transform into more blue gems to unlock a characters special ability unique to them. Most of them aren't worth investing in given how scare the blue gems are since those only come from some boss and such battles once or twice a month. And the abilities are at the end of the records boards which not all characters have access to. Adding on to that very few of the characters with record boards have abilities on them. So far the most useful ones I've seen are Rems, ff5 mc. shadows from ff6 is the next one I have my eye on since it bypasses enemies resistance stats. I also want Tyro's which refills the limit break gauge faster but he's much lower priority for me right now. As I want to go for ninja characters since they have fire and wind abilities that bypass resistance.

Limit breaks are a mixed bag but thus far the ones that give reraise/last stand and overstrike 1 bar cost are the best ones to head for. Timed infinite usage of abilities with double activation is another good one but has limited use past the beginning/middle levels of the game. Most of the stronger bosses you won't do much damage to with those. You're better off using limit breaks that have 1 bar cost and break the damage cap usually. Especially since the effect is useless if they ko the character with it.

Instant revive all party members ko'd is another decent one good for emergencies. Pulse of Life on Aerith, Phoenix on Elara are 2 that do it but are limited to one usage. Rosa, Iris, Sarah, Panello and Yuna have them without the usage limit iirc.

shadowysea07 on