As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Better get a babysitter cause we've got two tickets to the [GUN] show...

• PhantPhant Registered User regular
    I went to look online for some 9mm Makarov the other day and even the steel casing cartridges are at like 40 to 50 cents per right now, its nuts.

• NoquarNoquar Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Good luck not paying through the nose for 9mm if you can source it.

I managed to pick up a case of brass 9mm for 50¢ a round today.

Noquar on
  • ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular
    Ugh tell me about it. I FINALLY got my CZ Scorpion carbine kitted out how I’ve always wanted it, and now I can’t even really justify shooting it with the ammo prices. Guess I have to keep watching ammoseek up here and see what I can find.

8ekh4druz6bm.jpeg

• LeperMessiahLeperMessiah Registered User regular
    Anyone have first hand experience with a Glock 43 - 9mm single stack? Wife has small hands and my G36 even is too wide. Is it manageable as far as snappy recoil and small grip for a petite person?

• Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    Go rent and try it out. A lot of folks love it. I personally didn’t like the 43, but the 42 (.380) has been great for me, even if it’s somewhat finicky.

The 43x is a game changer.

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    Have we reached the point where I can use them as currency?

I've still got at few hundred rounds that I'm not going to get chance to use as projectiles for a good while.

*Tosses a round to his local Witcher*

I've still got at few hundred rounds that I'm not going to get chance to use as projectiles for a good while.

If you can’t, you aren’t talking to the right folks

• SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular

If you can’t, you aren’t talking to the right folks

Say I wanted to sell some while it's high

FB Marketplace? Or state / local forums?

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
    Go rent and try it out. A lot of folks love it. I personally didn’t like the 43, but the 42 (.380) has been great for me, even if it’s somewhat finicky.

When you say finicky, ammo wise? Have a kel-tek P3AT (yes I know) easy to carry but hates hollow points. But really for a tiny pistol that can fit in a front pocket holster it works.

edited September 2020

When you say finicky, ammo wise? Have a kel-tek P3AT (yes I know) easy to carry but hates hollow points. But really for a tiny pistol that can fit in a front pocket holster it works.

Yeah I had some trial and error with different ammo, but I was able to sort it out with what it likes. I like it. I like the 43x better, but you’re talking two entirely different sized pistols.

@SummaryJudgment yeah I would try State/local/armslist or even go to the next gun show nearest you and put a cardboard sign up on the car in the parking lot.

Edit: upon further consideration, just go to your local store parking lot and I bet you could sell any extra ammo in about 5 minutes.

Dead Legend on
    Shot another IDPA match. Time improved, made some procedural errors, accuracy improved.

Ended up 18/34 which is marginally better than last time. Actually practiced dry fire the night before.

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Thinking about picking up a Ruger EC9s for a nice little pocket gun. They are pretty well reviewed and you can get them for like $250.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
    Might be worth it, I’m unfamiliar with it.

• amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    I know we've been asking this pretty much week to week but is there anywhere right now that's generally good for getting 9mm and .45acp?

to quote Burt Gummer from Tremors, I am completely out of ammo. That's never happened to me before.

I'd like to get about 500 rds of 9mm and about 200 rds of .45

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Special KSpecial K Registered User regular
    If you have an Academy nearby, try opening time Mon/Wed/Fri morning; I picked up another 150 rounds of 9mm from my local Academy this morning.

Set price alerts on ammoseek. Check within minutes. Be sad.

@Dead Legend
    Ok thanks, I think I will look into both the G42 and G43X, I am already in both calibers.

edited September 2020
    Set price alerts on ammoseek. Check within minutes. Be sad.

I just checked, and good grief, 50c/round for steel case Wolf 9mm?!?

Edit: with tax and shipping it's close to 60c per round :o

Special K on
    I run steel casing through my Mak90 and SKS-M. Never in any pistol, ever had any issues?

Only ever ran steel through the Glocks but they handled it fine.

It’s just outrageous when you used to be able to get a case of steel for like $130. Or a case of brass for $165, shipped.

I have my price alert set for anything $.30 and below, @Special K

I run steel casing through my Mak90 and SKS-M. Never in any pistol, ever had any issues?

I'm not claiming it's bad, I have no idea - in fact, I bought some steel case Winchester 9mm to try in my Canik last week, just out of curiosity.

But as Dead Legend notes, the steel case is typically much cheaper than brass and it's around 60c/round (all in) on AmmoSeek! :o

• JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    There is so lore out there about steel cased ammo being worse for the gun, which I could see being true in some cases cause brass is softer.

But like most things in life, the devil is in the details. It probably matters more which gun and what specific ammo you are using.

• ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular
    I believe Lucky gunner did a fairly intensive bout of testing with some ARs several years ago and magdumped several thousand rounds of brass and steel case rounds through several test rifles in a short amount of time. The general conclusion of brass vs steel case is that yes steel will erode your barrel and throat faster than brass, but the difference only shows up if you're regularly dumping several hundred rounds a range session and that the overall difference in cost more or less equals the cost of a replacement barrel. But again, this only became apparent once you've reached the "several thousand rounds downrange" level of barrel life.

The AR platform was made with brass in mind as well. I think the AK and SKS were made with steel and brass in mind so fair better.

But yeah, a box of steel cased every now and then shouldnt be an issue.

• That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Am I correct in my understanding that steel case ammo is generally corrosive?

Edit: Fuck is ammo expensive right now. Back in Feb I bought 75 rounds of steel case 5.56 at a gun show for $20, just shy of 27c a round. The cheapest 5.56 I'm seeing now is about 64c a round.

That_Guy on
    Generally its older ammo that is corrosive.

• SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    That_Guy wrote: »

Edit: Fuck is ammo expensive right now. Back in Feb I bought 75 rounds of steel case 5.56 at a gun show for $20, just shy of 27c a round. The cheapest 5.56 I'm seeing now is about 64c a round.

Nope, just dirty, depending on manufacture.

What was corrosive was a portion of old Combloc ammo using Berdan primers; the confusion there was that those happened to be steel cased, but that's not why they were corrosive.

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Goddamn Berdan Primers and Mosin Nagants.

The eternal struggle.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • [Paragon][Paragon] I'm a real doctor, for pretend! North DakotaRegistered User regular
    I've had 0 issues feeding my various ARs and pistols steel cased ammo. The scorpion especially has eaten a few thousand of them with no complaints. I haven't noticed any undue wear on the extractor or any other components. Oddly the winchester steel case is the filthiest in my experience.

That_Guy wrote: »

Nope, just dirty, depending on manufacture.

What was corrosive was a portion of old Combloc ammo using Berdan primers; the confusion there was that those happened to be steel cased, but that's not why they were corrosive.

Yup, because the steel case is less flexible than brass, when the round detonates, the casing doesn't flex as much and thus does not seal as tightly against the chamber when the bullet exits down the barrel. This results in more powder/gas fouling in the firing chamber around the casing. This mainly becomes an issue if your firearm has extremely tight tolerances in that area as tighter tolerances can gum up performance, but only if it's really dialed in super tight like some match gun or something.

edited September 2020
    Snip, decided against

SummaryJudgment on
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Just picked up a Springfield Armory XD Series full size 9mm pistol that was on consignment at my local gun shop. I've had a standing order there for a few months for anything under $500 and 9mm to give me a call and I was finally at the head of the line! The pistol has had a few hundred rounds fired through it, but besides some slight wear marks it looks brand new, came with 5 magazines, two belt holsters and a belt holder for two magazines. Got it for $425, and he even had a box of 9mm to throw in so I can shoot the damn thing.

webguy20 on
    This mainly becomes an issue if your firearm has extremely tight tolerances in that area as tighter tolerances can gum up performance, but only if it's really dialed in super tight like some match gun or something.

I was a little worried about this as Caniks are apparently towards the tight tolerance end of the spectrum, but nope - the steel case worked just fine, zero failures. This is after swapping the default spring for the lighter one as I'm not using +P ammo; the softer spring was sent to me under warranty about a week after I requested it.

Bonus - I stopped by Academy o the way home to look for snap caps, and picked up a few hundred Mini-Mags that they had in stock.

Kalash bash was cool. That is all

I shot an auto 5.45 that was legitimate. Shot lots of suppressed ak’s. Got to run through all of PSA’s offerings. Got to try out a lot of PA’s optics on the AKs they had out.

Got to shoot K-USA’s 9mm and 7.62.

Definitely planning on competing in it, don’t know about 2021 due to incoming child, but maybe 2022.

That’s awesome DL. I really need to figure out my shooting events up here in Washington as well as find some places to shoot that don’t cost an arm and a leg.

In other news my Lone Wolf Glock finally came in! I love how the cerakote job came out and it feels so comfy to hold now that I’m not just holding the lower in my hand for the past several months. Just need to find a range to take this to and see how it runs. I’m so excited.

I decided to splurge and go for a 100% Lone Wolf parts setup so I’m eager to see how it performs. Also the holosun reticle looks awesome as hell, and they even bore sighted it for me so that’s another task taken care of.

z8poqmatpaaf.jpeg
    qlk0oqx8yin6.jpeg

Picture time for me too!

My pistol is specifically the Mod 2 4" model, and came with 5! additional magazines, not 4.

onb33t0njo44.jpg

edited October 2020
    Alas, the rare situations of more mag capacity than available ammo ...

Welcome ... to the Grip Zone!

Special K on
    hahaha yeeeup, I'm actually figuring out how I can safely ration out my ammo when I take it to the range.

Also nice setup there man. That's one hell of a package for the price you got. Damn good stuff.

Special K wrote: »

Gun marketing only comes 2nd to video card marketing. I used to work in the Archery industry and it was the same. Its all so rediculous.
    hahaha yeeeup, I'm actually figuring out how I can safely ration out my ammo when I take it to the range.

Also nice setup there man. That's one hell of a package for the price you got. Damn good stuff.

You as well! That Glock is dope, and it reminds me a bit of the doom marine. Very nice. Let us know how the holosun works. I've never shot a pistol with an optic before.

• ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited October 2020
    webguy20 wrote: »
    Special K wrote: »

Gun marketing only comes 2nd to video card marketing. I used to work in the Archery industry and it was the same. Its all so rediculous.

You as well! That Glock is dope, and it reminds me a bit of the doom marine. Very nice. Let us know how the holosun works. I've never shot a pistol with an optic before.

I picked up a Burris FastFire3 for my Ruger-57...and, I gotta say, I've found it to tighten up my grouping by a noticeable amount (at 10-15m) after I got it sighted in (first with getting the dot aligned with the front post, then fine-tuned by starting at 5m and pushing back to 10 and 15). Not sure if that was proper zeroing procedure...but it seemed the logical progression to me.

EDIT - and, after my time with the Burris, it's making me seriously consider picking up the Romeo1 mounted slide for my Sig 320C

Erlkönig on
    | Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |