As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The newest action figures (and other toys) thread (NSF56k)

• Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    That Optimus Primal is cool and all, but I want the one with the surfboard feet

• BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    edited September 2020
    I'm going to try to be good and only pre-order Warpath so far.

Edit: Pre-orders are live!

I weakened and ordered Cyclonus with Warpath and Blackarachnia since I have a thing for spiders. They scare me, but I like them. Also picked up the clone set from Amazon.

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Deluxes are going up in price to like $23 dollars, though many places still have them at $20. Almost grabbed the entire BW/Fossilizer line from Hasbro Pulse, but they ran out of Megatron, so I swapped to Entertainment Earth and saved like 9 bucks on deluxes.

edited September 2020
    Deluxes are going up in price to like $23 dollars, though many places still have them at $20. Almost grabbed the entire BW/Fossilizer line from Hasbro Pulse, but they ran out of Megatron, so I swapped to Entertainment Earth and saved like 9 bucks on deluxes.

Yeah, I went to EE and tried to make it to free shipping, but just couldn't find anything else to push it to the free shipping level. I mean I guess I could buy the missing Star Wars Rex, but they have it for $1 more and honestly I'm not too happy with EE using Pitney Bowes for their free shiping/cheap shipping. Things used to get here faster to me when they used USPS, now it takes forever for PB to decide to move it and hand it off to USPS.

Edit: I was looking at that picture of the battle scene and just realized that the Ark is there (transformed in the background), Huffer, Gears, Inferno and Tracks. But the Ark!!! Transforming Ark???

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png
    edited September 2020
    I thought EE only does free shipping on in-stock stuff. Preorders don't qualify.

EDIT: Or maybe this is just a "fuck alaska" thing, because I had to pay $20 bucks shipping for the 7 Kingdom figures I just bought :razz:

EDIT: Nope, looks like it's free shipping on in-stock orders of $79 or more.

Undead Scottsman on
    Betsuni wrote: »

Yeah, I went to EE and tried to make it to free shipping, but just couldn't find anything else to push it to the free shipping level. I mean I guess I could buy the missing Star Wars Rex, but they have it for $1 more and honestly I'm not too happy with EE using Pitney Bowes for their free shiping/cheap shipping. Things used to get here faster to me when they used USPS, now it takes forever for PB to decide to move it and hand it off to USPS.

Edit: I was looking at that picture of the battle scene and just realized that the Ark is there (transformed in the background), Huffer, Gears, Inferno and Tracks. But the Ark!!! Transforming Ark???

Yeah, it's the titan for Kingdoms. Been rumored for awhile and there were some crappy leaked pictures of the vehicle mode a couple weeks back.

Gears and Polar Claw were apparently going to be in the line, but got cut. Huffer, Inferno (G1, not BW) and Tracks have been sighted in store listings.

I'm hoping Tracks means a Selects Road Rage.

• NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    I'm going to try to be good and only pre-order Warpath so far.

Edit: Pre-orders are live!

I weakened and ordered Cyclonus with Warpath and Blackarachnia since I have a thing for spiders. They scare me, but I like them. Also picked up the clone set from Amazon.

Clone set....?

Ohhhh Autobot clones, thanks for the heads up. Ordered mine as well.

I think I’ll get Warpath when he drops. Cyclonus is a maybe. BW Megatron if I find it on clearance or maybe at a reseller.

Rest is a solid “meh.”

Dat Ark transformer though....

I thought EE only does free shipping on in-stock stuff. Preorders don't qualify.

EDIT: Or maybe this is just a "fuck alaska" thing, because I had to pay $20 bucks shipping for the 7 Kingdom figures I just bought :razz:

EDIT: Nope, looks like it's free shipping on in-stock orders of $79 or more.

Ohhh good. It is only in stock, that makes my decision easier since I'll save money by getting the free shipping from Pulse even though I'm paying the extra $3 per deluxe.

Yeah, it's the titan for Kingdoms. Been rumored for awhile and there were some crappy leaked pictures of the vehicle mode a couple weeks back.

Gears and Polar Claw were apparently going to be in the line, but got cut. Huffer, Inferno (G1, not BW) and Tracks have been sighted in store listings.

I'm hoping Tracks means a Selects Road Rage.

Bummer, I was hoping for a Gears. Yeah a Road Rage would be awesome, although I already have her MP.

I remember seeing the bad leaked Ark photos so thought it was just going to be a ship toy. I should know better since it is a Transformer. Hahaha!

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    Dammit, they better still make Polar Claw! I still have the original, it’s a cool figure and I'd love a new version.

I preordered basically all the new TF stuff because I can’t stop myself, plus I love Beast Wars. Thankfully, the mostly look to have decent transformations instead of the boring "stand-up and flip down head" trap they can often fall into. I skipped the fossil guys though because they don't really seem fun or interesting. Happy to finally get Prime Breakdown and Jet Vehicon. The Quintesson set should be fun.

Upset about more Target exclusive G.I. Joes, they sold out essentially instantly again.

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
    I still kinda want to get the full Fossilizer set. I'd probably never transform them and just display them in fossil form.

Also, I'm warming up to Tracks, it was one of the few mid-sized Autobots I remembered owning from G1.

I just discovered that Target has them for $20 so switched my orders to them, plus they had Star Wars Rex for retail, and all with free shipping.
    Nobody wrote: »
    I still kinda want to get the full Fossilizer set. I'd probably never transform them and just display them in fossil form.

Also, I'm warming up to Tracks, it was one of the few mid-sized Autobots I remembered owning from G1.

Yeah, I keep on looking at the Fossilizers and wanting to do the same. It is really hard for me to resist, but I have to.

oosik_betsuni.png
    My $30 Doubledealer from Walmart just got canceled. :(

My $30 Doubledealer from Walmart just got canceled. :(

That sucks. I actually cancelled mine a week ago since I was going through my pre-orders thinning out what I really want and have room to display. I'm curious, was this the price lowering within the last few months or the one back from Februrary or something like that?

oosik_betsuni.png
    Order is from the beginning of August.

edited September 2020
    Ah, man good thing I cancelled mine then since I probably would have got the same message. I originally had the pre-order long ago, then cancelled it for the August price drop. Some people said their original one was automatically lowered so that's why I was curious. Walmart is so weird with their pre-orders. I've gone through the entire "cancel" game when the G1 Mini Vehicles were first releasing. You'd order them and they would cancel the order. So annoying... Then I had a good run for a while with pre-orders. The last long waited one was the Netflix Hotlink which took a very long time, but they shipped him. Now I hear about the Doubledealer canceling and makes me worried for my $18 Snapdragon order which I talked with a CS rep today via chat and they said it will be shipped tomorrow.

Edit: Just saw this on TFW if you want to try getting another ordered.
    engledogg wrote:
    I just finished a chat with Walmart customer service and was able to reorder Doubledealer (who is now magically in stock and ready to ship) at $29.99 after a $20 price adjustment.

Now, it's entirely possible that they'll end up canceling this order as well, but if you're up for it, try contacting them.

Basically, here's how the conversation went (paraphrasing):

So, I reordered Doubledealer, gave her the new order number, and within a few minutes, I received a price adjustment email and noticed that the new order total reflected the price adjustment.

Like I said before, it's possible that they'll just nuke this order as well, but it's worth a shot.

MIKE
    engledogg

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png
  • CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    With husband's permission, I did a thing: I bought a bunch of parts from Smart Doll that would allow me to construct a hard plastic Smart Doll (it was for a doll line Danny discontinued). My goal is to construct them, practice face painting on the head blanks, and then sell the extras.

I'm assuming folks in this thread have experience constructing plastic models, do ya'll have a favorite type of wire cutters for cutting off flashing?

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
    edited September 2020
    Cambiata wrote: »
    With husband's permission, I did a thing: I bought a bunch of parts from Smart Doll that would allow me to construct a hard plastic Smart Doll (it was for a doll line Danny discontinued). My goal is to construct them, practice face painting on the head blanks, and then sell the extras.

I'm assuming folks in this thread have experience constructing plastic models, do ya'll have a favorite type of wire cutters for cutting off flashing?

I know that the model thread always talks about these things called God Hands. You can ask in the GunPla Thread and I know they'll be able to hook you up with some nippers.

Edit: Honestly I have always just used a good pair of USA made side cutters and an Exacto knife to clean up the rest.

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png
  • CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Ah thanks, that thread had a link to a good pair of side cutters. I actually just went through one whole shell just carefully using the xacto knife and that works pretty well, just some of the flash is kind of large and nippers would help. The hard part is finding the right kind of screws I need for these dolls, because they didn't come with them. Home Depot doesn't seem to stock them.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
    Ah thanks, that thread had a link to a good pair of side cutters. I actually just went through one whole shell just carefully using the xacto knife and that works pretty well, just some of the flash is kind of large and nippers would help. The hard part is finding the right kind of screws I need for these dolls, because they didn't come with them. Home Depot doesn't seem to stock them.

Since they are in Japan I would assume they are metric and probably some sort of JIS head. Is there a fan forum or something where you can post asking someone who has the screws if they could measure them for you? I'm imagining that you'll probably have to hit up a smaller hardware store (like ACE Hardware) and see if they have a bin of screws you can look at. I know that Transformer toys usually use odd sized ones for the US but common in Japan and the rest of Asia.

oosik_betsuni.png

Since they are in Japan I would assume they are metric and probably some sort of JIS head. Is there a fan forum or something where you can post asking someone who has the screws if they could measure them for you? I'm imagining that you'll probably have to hit up a smaller hardware store (like ACE Hardware) and see if they have a bin of screws you can look at. I know that Transformer toys usually use odd sized ones for the US but common in Japan and the rest of Asia.

I've found the ones I need on Amazon, I just had to do a little fiddling with the screw search thinger that they have there. I have to buy them in quantities more than I'll ever need, but whatevs.

I've found the ones I need on Amazon, I just had to do a little fiddling with the screw search thinger that they have there. I have to buy them in quantities more than I'll ever need, but whatevs.

Oooh, Amazon has a screw search tool??? May you please share the link?

oosik_betsuni.png
    edited September 2020

Oooh, Amazon has a screw search tool??? May you please share the link?

Well I found it by searching self-tapping screws, you see the filter right at the top:

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=self-tapping+screws&ref=nb_sb_noss_1

Made my search a lot easier.

You'll find a similar filter if for nuts and for washers if you search them.

Also for the curious, this is what the build looks like, Danny made the step by step himself to follow:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZLN56jWyeo

I'll be honest, it would have been fun if they were delivered in those plastic cages where you have to cut the parts out entirely. But they only ever sent out the parts with flashing attached.

Cambiata on
    Thanks for the link, I have never seen it on their site.

That kit is really neat! Watched part of the video and he is really meticulous and detailed with his build and explaining why they made some engineering decisions.

oosik_betsuni.png

That kit is really neat! Watched part of the video and he is really meticulous and detailed with his build and explaining why they made some engineering decisions.

Yeah he did a really good job of making it easy to follow the steps! I only wish I had the finger strength that he does. "Push it in fast *snap*" for him is "WHY WON'T YOU GO IN?!" for me.

Yeah he did a really good job of making it easy to follow the steps! I only wish I had the finger strength that he does. "Push it in fast *snap*" for him is "WHY WON'T YOU GO IN?!" for me.

At least there is not a further part to that, *snap* "Oh crap, what broke?!?!"

oosik_betsuni.png
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    I'm coming to you guys and gals with a specific problem that @Betsuni might not be surprised to hear from me.

So, I have a generic-cheap-particle-board bookshelf that most of my PVC figures sit on (I have another one too for my Gunpla, but it's identical in dimensions but is located in a different part of my apartment, which gives rise to an issue). Here it is (actually almost a year ago, things have been moved around, adjusted since then), photo reduced because you don't really need to see the contents (I'm happy to share closer photographs if anyone is interest, I'm practicing scaled photography in my free time).

16e33jy0ft2l.jpg

For I while I've realized something: I don't like having to clean my PVC figures/statues/etc. Dusting would be fine (I have an electric air compressor that I use on my PC to do that), but the problem is because my apartment is small, and said bookshelf is very close to my kitchenette, which means a thin layer of vaporized oil tends to accumulate on things over time and dust sticks to that. I'm something of a neat freak, and wiping down the surfaces of my kitchen is a normal occurrence (also there's not much dust in my kitchen specifically), but this is an annoying problem for the PVC figures, which are of course magnets for dust and close enough to accumulate some oil over a couple months. I'm cooking with less oil lately (it's a Taiwanese thing), which is probably not a bad idea in general, accordingly.

The shelf mostly just sits there to occasional attract the attention of my house guests (I have a large TV, ergo, I host bi-weekly viewing parties at apartment, or I did before the world shut down, though I sometimes still do), and I don't really want to move it (on top of not really having a better place to put it.

I got a stupid idea: in American units, the shelves measure 11" x 11" x 28" (the upper shelf is 14" tall, but the shelves are adjustable). Is there some way I could get appropriate sized acrylic or plastic shields I could put in front of the contents that would deal with most of the dust/vaporized oil particles? I would even consider buying display cases if they'd come in the right size to actually put onto the shelves (and not pack everything even closer together).

Or is that a hopeless dream? An older friend of mine who really enjoys my figures has told me I should just give in and buy a plastic display shelf, which is a meaningless line in the sand I don't really want to cross (I do, admittedly, keep books on the bottom shelf).

edited October 2020
    They absolutely sell thin plastic sheets made of clear material on Amazon and elsewhere, which you can use to fashion something like that. Also some craft stores can make custom display cases, as well as offer some generic sized ones for different display purposes. If those are the typical banpresto style figure 6-8 inches tall, you'd probably need a little bit taller of a display case.

Nice collection! Also that's the same shelf I use for Pop display

Local H Jay on
    edited October 2020
    They absolutely sell thin plastic sheets made of clear material on Amazon and elsewhere, which you can use to fashion something like that. Also some craft stores can make custom display cases, as well as offer some generic sized ones for different display purposes. If those are the typical banpresto style figure 6-8 inches tall, you'd probably need a little bit taller of a display case.

Nice collection! Also that's the same shelf I use for Pop display

Thanks! It's just what I accumulated mostly over graduate school and at conventions afterwards.
    a67y2o4tc72o.jpg

Yes, it's an old busted shelf picked up from Wal-Mart's furniture section (the black color works uniquely well for PVC figures).

I'm not particularly handy (I don't have a good way to slice chunks of acrylic, for example), but I imagine I could combine sheets of acrylic with plastic feet that could hold them up on the front of the shelves. I'm not expecting it to be airtight, just keeping things slightly cleaner would be an improvement.

I keep hoping that I can find someone who sells molded/folded acrylic monitor stands that would be the right size to put onto the shelves (and I could just stand on their sides). Especially since actual display cases, especially larger ones, are grossly overpriced to no one's surprised.

Synthesis on
  • DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Is there some way I could get appropriate sized acrylic or plastic shields I could put in front of the contents that would deal with most of the dust/vaporized oil particles? [...] Or is that a hopeless dream?
    I don't see anything hopeless about it - transparent doors that show off the contents of the shelf/cabinet are, like, extremely standard. It's just a matter of how much money and effort you're willing to put into it. If there's an Ikea available where you live, you might be able to find some glass doors that could fit your shelf (a quick browse of their US site doesn't turn up anything of the dimensions you're looking for, but to be fair I didn't dig into it very deep). Even if there isn't an Ikea, there will probably be a furniture vendor of some sort that might sell doors with transparent panels. There is almost certainly someone near where you live who can make custom doors for your shelf, but I imagine that might get costly, and you'd have to look for such a person/workshop. I think that hardware stores that sell large sheets of acrylic would also be able to cut it to the appropriate dimensions for you, so that might be an option if you decide to do stuff yourself (although if you're not handy, it'd probably be better to bring someone in who is).

The particle board probably isn't strong enough to hold up glass, knowing the one I have. Though he may have his wall anchored (I don't lmao)

You could get two pieces of acryilc or plexi and glue them together. I have a place called TAP Plastic nearby and they'll cut anything to the size you want. The thing is it can get expensive. So you could have them cut pieces and epoxy them together to make that "screen" you want for the front of your shelving.

I would recommend though if you want something that looks nice and don't mind paying for it, the Ikea Detolf line is probably the best for everything you want. It is glass, but enclosed and would keep things better than trying to rig up something. I originally had my entire collection on bookshelves, then graduated to these glass shelving I have now, but the dust is crazy. I should have just gone with Detolfs in the first place.

oosik_betsuni.png
    The particle board probably isn't strong enough to hold up glass, knowing the one I have. Though he may have his wall anchored (I don't lmao)

I don't and it isn't, I think thin glass would work fine but that seems like overkill when plastic or acrylic would do just fine.

I locked one in. Very cool design. Didn't think I'd be able to get one but hey that's neat!

I locked one in. Very cool design. Didn't think I'd be able to get one but hey that's neat!

Yeah, I'm debating on trying to pick up a second for anybody who missed it... But I have three things in my house right now because I bought it in case that I don't have a buyer for. =( Two huge Lego sets and soon two Hasbro Pulsecon Exclusives.

oosik_betsuni.png
    It was sold out on Pulse by the time I got there, but I snagged one on Walmart.

edited October 2020
    It was sold out on Pulse by the time I got there, but I snagged one on Walmart.

Yeah, Walmart and Target still seem to have theirs available.

Edit: Oh and the overpriced Amazon link.

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png
  • Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    That Amazon link is weird. I imagine it’s fine to preorder it there, I’m sure they’ll get it corrected

but I did it through Target with an added Black Series Captain Cardinal to get free shipping... because spending an extra $25 to save $6 makes sense... right?

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
    Ended up ordering mine via Target, wasn’t 100% on the rate on Amazon

That Amazon link is weird. I imagine it’s fine to preorder it there, I’m sure they’ll get it corrected

but I did it through Target with an added Black Series Captain Cardinal to get free shipping... because spending an extra $25 to save $6 makes sense... right?

I seem to have the same math problems. Then on other days (exclusives) I just bite the shipping costs since I don't want to miss out.

oosik_betsuni.png