As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Hesher] Jazzmaster of Puppets

• SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    autothrall wrote: »
    First two Fear Factory albums are still pretty solid imo.

Soul of a New Machine sounds like an almost completely different band when you compare it to their other albums. I think I got that one just a few months before their next release, but it was one of those CDs I played constantly and it made me excited for Demanufacture. They were one of the first bands in my collection that used growled vocals -- the only others I was into from that era that I can think of were Amorphis and My Dying Bride. But I've probably outlined my descent into more underground metal as a young adult in here more than a few times.

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Pantera was far beyond Machine Head. :rimshot:

But I think I've written enough about Robb Flynn's vehicle to the stars this past summer to last me a lifetime.

I still like a lot of the riffs and solos Dimebag wrote.

Listen to that arpeggiated portion of the solo to "Floods" and just how emotionally drenched and fucking grimy it is. Dude had legitimately amazing songwriting chops.

My biggest bugaboo with Pantera these days are any residuals that might go to Phil Anselmo.

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular

My first big metal fest was Ozzfest 97 and Fear Factory played and it was my first legit moshpit. So much fun.

Thinking back, that was a hell of a show. Fear Factory, Type O Negative, Ozzy, Pantera, Neurosis, Vision of Disorder.

• autothrallautothrall Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Phil kind of made the band though, as controversial as he was/is. He tapped into that tough guy swagger that was about 1000% responsible for the band's success. With another singer they probably wouldn't have gotten very far. I like most of the Pantera records for what they were, except the first two glam ones. That said there are plenty of criticisms and they went on to influence a lot of Panterrible music. Dimebag was an exceptional riff writer, no question.

I'd rank them:
    Far Beyond Driven > Cowboys from Hell > Vulgar Display of Power > Power Metal > Great Southern Trendkill > Reinventing the Steel > I am the Night > Projects in the Jungle > Metal Magic.

Only those bottom two make me cringe, although Projects has a few cool parts.

autothrall on
    edited September 2020
    Phil kind of made the band though, as controversial as he was/is. He tapped into that tough guy swagger that was about 1000% responsible for the band's success. With another singer they probably wouldn't have gotten very far. I like most of the Pantera records for what they were, except the first two glam ones. That said there are plenty of criticisms and they went on to influence a lot of Panterrible music. Dimebag was an exceptional riff writer, no question.

I'd rank them:
    Far Beyond Driven > Cowboys from Hell > Vulgar Display of Power > Power Metal > Great Southern Trendkill > Reinventing the Steel > I am the Night > Projects in the Jungle > Metal Magic.

Only those bottom two make me cringe, although Projects has a few cool parts.

This is all fair but man our rankings couldn't be any different, except for the top

Far Beyond Driven > Trendkill > Vulgar Display of Power > Cowboys From Hell > Power Metal > Reinventing the Steel > (doesn't really matter past here)

And yeah, Phils tuffguy beatdown attitude kind of made a genre of metal. It really did work with the dirty, slithering Pantera sound.

jungleroomx on
    Hey, both of our top fives are the same albums, and we agree that Reinventing is the worst of the 'heavy' Pantera albums. You see different, I see similar :P

Hey, both of our top fives are the same albums, and we agree that Reinventing is the worst of the 'heavy' Pantera albums. You see different, I see similar :P

Big time.

I for a band that was so energetic and forceful, that wet fart of an album (Especially after the acerbic Trendkill) was just pathetic.

My first big metal fest was Ozzfest 97 and Fear Factory played and it was my first legit moshpit. So much fun.

Thinking back, that was a hell of a show. Fear Factory, Type O Negative, Ozzy, Pantera, Neurosis, Vision of Disorder.

I made it to that! Unfortunately, I was in Florida, it was summer, and I wore no sunscreen. I paid for that dearly. The friends I went with also wore no sunscreen and we left by 4 PM.

Sunburn for days.

• KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    edited September 2020
    New track from Spirit Adrift's upcoming release.

https://youtu.be/yshT8qoLZwM

Kakodaimonos on
    Random aside: I listened to Avantasia's first album yesterday for the first time and...it's OK? I often hear them compared to Ayreon, but I dunno. I see the similarities in that it has a ton of guest vocalists...but most of the guest vocalists use the same vocal style, so it's not particularly interesting to me. I think that's where Ayreon's strengths are: the vocalists do a good job of being very distinct from each other. Of course, I'm saying this after having only listened to one Avantasia album, and they have several after that.

Jesus fucking christ

6k1r51djn4zy.jpg

• KreutzKreutz Blackwater Park, IARegistered User regular
    Usually when I have conflicting emotions about something they cancel out or combine. For the first time in my life, however, I both love and hate a thing at the same time.

• BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Ain't no way Trump's baby-hands could handle an 8-string.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    They're doing it again? I think they put out a few songs or even an album maybe in 2016/2017. It's the guitarist from Allegaeon in the Trump mask I think.

edited October 2020
    New Vanik album for all you speed metallers. Just grabbed a copy off their Bandcamp.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OugJBCtYPGc

Also there's a new Troll EP, of all things. I'll give a listen to the new Enslaved, REZN and Isengard today I hope.

autothrall on
  • FearmeisterFearmeister Registered User regular
    Wait... Did you just say Isengard?!?!

edited October 2020
    New REZN is quite good, nice spacey stoner doom!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jieoGeBlo-U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0uNaZ6nbww

The new Enslaved is also great, it's perhaps not their most adventurous stuff, they're bringing it back to the heavier material, but there are still plenty of atmospheric and psychedelic parts slapped with a heaping helping of Bathory influence.

autothrall on
  • EthelTheFrogEthelTheFrog Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Enslaved are performing it live in about 20 minutes:
    https://youtu.be/WdLMGZCEjL0

Also, after 12 years of listening to metal, that "Shedding Skin" track is the first I've ever actually listened to by Pantera. Not as bad as I was expecting.

EthelTheFrog on
    All these folks trying to be the Hiroo Onoda of the Loudness War...
    Enslaved are performing it live in about 20 minutes:
    https://youtu.be/WdLMGZCEjL0

Also, after 12 years of listening to metal, that "Shedding Skin" track is the first I've ever actually listened to by Pantera. Not as bad as I was expecting.

I could probably stick together an LP's worth of Pantera's best shit without falling too hard into Anselmo's tuffguy racist paranoia.

edited October 2020
    If you're a fan of guitar solos that aren't just Malmsteen-ized 64th notes on a pentatonic scale, you should check out both "The Sleep" and "Floods" from them.

Because my god.

jungleroomx on
    Man this Enslaved live stream is DOPE, it's making me like the new material even more than on album.

• BlakoutBlakout Lordran's SpookylandRegistered User regular
    Pantera’s a big blind spot for me, too. I‘ve heard the big singles but never paid them much mind. The chat here convinced me to check out Far Beyond Driven and I’ve got two thoughts:

1) My god, the riffs.
    2) If they’re not collecting royalty checks from Lamb of God, they need a better lawyer

Blakout wrote: »
    Pantera’s a big blind spot for me, too. I‘ve heard the big singles but never paid them much mind. The chat here convinced me to check out Far Beyond Driven and I’ve got two thoughts:

1) My god, the riffs.
    2) If they’re not collecting royalty checks from Lamb of God, they need a better lawyer

Dimebag was legit.

• BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited October 2020

1) My god, the riffs.

Dimebag was legit.

So was Vinnie. Not as technical or precise with his hands as a Gene Hoglan or Pete Sandoval, but his double bass and hi-hat control were god tier and him blasting and setting pace for Dimebag was magical at times.

BlackDragon480 on
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
    Haven't listened to it yet, but here's a full stream of the new Anaal Nathrakh album:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCHxHHazu-M

I'm up through Beyond Words, I'm digging it.

~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    The new Uada is up for streaming.

It's interesting. Definitely a solid amount of 90s goth rock influence mixed in with the black metal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9f2NhF3KgHc

Yes, the new Uada album is more interesting than the others, for sure.

1) My god, the riffs.

Funny story and I apologize because I've probably told it before, when Steve Austin (Today is the Day) had his studio up here in Massachusetts the first time, I was recording a demo and he wanted me to hear this other band he had just recorded. He played me a mix of New American Gospel and I exclaimed, 'Oh shit, you had PANTERA in here?!?' I had only heard their previous incarnation Burn the Priest before and didn't realize it was a new band.

I guess in the end the joke was on me!

• DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Mors Principium Est put out an EP yesterday if you're into that sort of thing!

https://youtu.be/PCHjpyIX94I

Edit: replaced the embedded track with the second one on the EP as it's got some really catchy leads/riffing.

Dissociater on
  • JazzJazz Registered User regular
    New Diplodocus to get your dino-synth goodness on.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=j-X8HvjGNNA

• MgcwMgcw Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    I always wished they had gone a little further with Demonoid than just the one album, but I guess Therion was blowing up too much at that time. Still listed as an active band, though.

autothrall on
  • BlakoutBlakout Lordran's SpookylandRegistered User regular
    This rules. Just straightforward, rowdy punk/black metal that’s super fun and filthy.

https://youtu.be/Oj0r7gr3s8c

edited October 2020
    Loud Night is the former local Boston thrash band Ramming Speed under another name, playing filthier stuff. I actually like it more. They had a demo a couple years ago that was also cool.

autothrall on
    What are all of your opinions on remastered (and/or remixed) albums? I have little to no knowledge of recording, so I don't really know much about the practice at all. I'm assuming it's usually done to utilize newer/better technology, but I can never tell if it's being done to better achieve the vision of the band/artist or just as a gimmick to re-release albums. I'm thinking of the Blind Guardian re-releases in particular; the newest releases of their classic albums have a remixed & remastered edition AND the original. Which one is supposed to be the canonical edition? I have no idea.

edited October 2020
    It completely depends on the remaster, there is no simple answer. Some of them sound fantastic, enhance the originals, and even help older records get a bit of a loudness boost to compare with newer releases. Others sound iffy or bad, they will emphasize particular instruments or vocals that nobody really wanted and lose some of the magic of the original.

I cannot speak to Blind Guardian in particular as mine are all originals, but I have heard good things.

Some examples: I enjoyed the Pestilence and Deathrow remasters, and the Black Sabbath remasters for the first six Ozzy efforts made me fall in love again with them. The Killing is My Business... remaster from Megadeth is great, really brings out those guitars more for me, and I also really enjoy Judas Priest's Turbo 30. But, for example, some of the other Megadeth remasters are pretty weak.

I guess 'canonical' would have to be the original by default, or up to the artists themselves since they might have a version they are happier with (kind of like Director's Cuts in film). For historical purposes the originals are always the most important since you want to know what it sounded like back then, and hear the long lineage of changes in studio sound through the years. However, if you're banging a playlist out of your car, it can be a lot of fun to have some classics on even footing with the latest albums.

autothrall on
    edited October 2020
    I like that analogy with Director's Cuts of films. I just never know if the band has a hand in a given remaster or if it's just labels messing with the originals. I mean, Nightfall In Middle-Earth has 4 different versions: original, 2007 remaster, 2012 remix and remaster from the A Traveler's Guide to Space and Time box set, and the new 2019 remix and remaster. Come on, BG. What the heck.

Is there ever a technical reason for doing a remaster? Like the digital tech in the 90's simply wasn't good enough on some objective scale? Or is it all just preference?

EDIT: Nevermind. Looks like the new reissues use the same remix/remaster as the 2012 one. They just include the interludes this time.

EthelTheFrog on
This discussion has been closed.