As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Monster Hunter] Game is out and it's real good!!!

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    You can really tell Fatalis is a gen one dragon.

Its an alright basic dragon design but he still looks pretty plain/not really intimidating or grand compared to some of the other big heavy hitters in the series.

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Still, there's a simple joy in that one of the most horrifying creatures lore wise... is so, so simple.

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    When do you open up G Rank in MHGU? Finish Hub?

I hit the end of Village 10* Key Quests, but I guess it's urgent quests are tied to the Hub as nothing's popping.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »

I hit the end of Village 10* Key Quests, but I guess it's urgent quests are tied to the Hub as nothing's popping.

Yeah, you need to finish the original Hub. Progression between singleplayer and multiplayer is mostly separate, though there's some crossover quests that are unlocked as you progress.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    jothki wrote: »

Yeah, you need to finish the original Hub. Progression between singleplayer and multiplayer is mostly separate, though there's some crossover quests that are unlocked as you progress.

One of the best things MHW changed

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    edited September 2020

IIRC, there's some lower level quests that involve new monsters in High Rank that you need to hunt which then opens a new quest line to open up G-Rank. I think it involves a Barioth? So check to see if any new quests popped up there.

Satsumomo on
  • Options
    Satsumomo wrote: »

IIRC, there's some lower level quests that involve new monsters in High Rank that you need to hunt which then opens a new quest line to open up G-Rank. I think it involves a Barioth? So check to see if any new quests popped up there.

what are we talking here, village high rank, hub low rank or hub high rank

fwiw I did all village 1-6* (minus advanced 6*) already

• Options
    You know, sleep bombing works better but waking up a monster by attaching yourself to their face and exploding slinger ammo in their eye as they proceed to run face first into a wall is just a hell of a lot funnier.

• Options

what are we talking here, village high rank, hub low rank or hub high rank

fwiw I did all village 1-6* (minus advanced 6*) already

I mean high rank village, at least when I transferred my save from 3ds to Switch, I had already completed all village quests, but in GU I had about 3 new quests pop up in 6 star village quests or something like that. Those were high rank quests added to GU, so I meant checking to see if there's new quests for you. But if you started from scratch on GU, yeah, I guess you need to do some specific hub quests. That progression system is really cryptic.

• Options
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    You know, sleep bombing works better but waking up a monster by attaching yourself to their face and exploding slinger ammo in their eye as they proceed to run face first into a wall is just a hell of a lot funnier.

Speaking of sleep bombing, I woke GenUlt Rajang up by placing a pitfall trap next to him and he somehow destroyed the trap by standing up. V rude

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Still, there's a simple joy in that one of the most horrifying creatures lore wise... is so, so simple.

There is

But there's also a simple terrorjoy in the dead eyed stare of Shara Isvalda

• Options
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »

It pushed it too far by letting you use other people to get through what should be singleplayer quests. Making it so that you have to hunt a monster by yourself before hunting it with others would be better.

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    Thats probably why its so popular. Coop any quest hunting.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    I didn't know (remember?) you could restock at camp in MHW until I was in the Guiding Lands.

It's my first MH.

So I wouldn't say it's designed such that you 'have to restock'.

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular

It pushed it too far by letting you use other people to get through what should be singleplayer quests. Making it so that you have to hunt a monster by yourself before hunting it with others would be better.

I genuinely have to ask - how, or why, would that be better?

Because... i'm not seeing it. It honestly sounds like a way to create a huge barrier to entry, and a toxic barrier at that from an accessibility point of view. Or hell, just from friends who want to go through the questline hunting together.

And if the argument is it should be a skill filter, that's bunk honestly - there are terrible players in any monhun i've played online. if world seems like it has more, it's purely because world HAS MORE PLAYERS. (And i've seen plenty of excellent players... and plenty of terrible players i've picked up and carried. It's just nice to be able to hunt with everyone and anyone)

• Options
    edited September 2020
    If anything, the biggest "bad" change they did was to super-buff all resistances/staggers in 3-4 player hunts, to the point that sleep/para weapons are more of a gimmick than anything. I know they did it to counter the insane hunts where very high skilled players would get a Rajang stuck on a spot until it died, but those were a minority compared to most people and even so, these same high skilled players can still make a joke out of any fight in World/Iceborne.

Satsumomo on
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Yeah you'd think that extra players would make it easy

Until you get 3 longsword players like I did last night and I spent nearly the entire match stunlocked because jesus fucking christ hit the fucking dinosaur please

• Options
    SaldonasSaldonas See you space cowboy...Registered User regular
    I never hunt with people without some flinch free.

Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/carthuun
    Switch: SW-1493-0062-4053
  • Options
    Saldonas wrote: »
    I never hunt with people without some flinch free.

I swear at one point I had my shield up and it sounded like a blast beat

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    If anything, the biggest "bad" change they did was to super-buff all resistances/staggers in 3-4 player hunts, to the point that sleep/para weapons are more of a gimmick than anything. I know they did it to counter the insane hunts where very high skilled players would get a Rajang stuck on a spot until it died, but those were a minority compared to most people and even so, these same high skilled players can still make a joke out of any fight in World/Iceborne.

And the Iceborne makes it worse by adding the wallslams as the One True Control option because it just works, has zero resistance, etc.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    the rise gameplay makes it look a lot like the 3ds games, and i love that the color palette is so much easier to see. i think the biggest problem i have with world is the "real" aesthetic makes everything blend together and i have a hard time seeing things. im excited for it.

• Options
    edited September 2020

No way. All quests in the games should be doable both solo or in a party from the start.

Lets just hope they get rid of that dumb "you have to wait for the cutscene" requirement in Rise.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    fRAWRstfRAWRst The Seas Call The Mad AnswerRegistered User regular

what no dont do that, that would be the worst

J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular

I don't see why people shouldn't be allowed to play basically the whole thing multiplayer if they want to. Also, the differentiation between Village and Hub quests always drove me insane. And the fact that all hub quests are tuned for multiple hunters when you are playing years after its popularity has worn off is a real pain.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Title Update 5 is available on steam, 5GB with the hi-res textures, dunno how big without.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    UrQuanLord88UrQuanLord88 Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    I'm watching canta on Fatalis and it looks like a pretty crazy fight
    he does so much damage D:

UrQuanLord88 on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/urquanlord88
    urquanlord88.png
    Streaming 8PST on weeknights
  • Options
    The fatalis armor is some hilarious stuff.

Beta set gets you 3 stun res, 2x WEX, 2x crit eye, 2x evade window.

So, by themselves, not a bad set of skills to start off with. But then you start looking at the set bonuses.

2x Set bonus? Every single skill secret.
    4x set bonus? +100 max hp & Razor sharp.

Finally? 15x 4 slots.

No, that's not a typo. 15 4 slot decos.

The weapons are less impressive alas - -40% afffinity, need sharpness to get purple. Tons of raw though and okay dragon

By comparsion - Alpha has 6x 4 slots, 4x 3 slots, 2x 2 slots, and 1x 1 slots. It also adds handicraft 5, evade window +1, guard 3 and crit eye 1 to what the beta set gives.

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    good lord

• Options
    i haven't even tried doing fatalis yet, just fucking around with some of the other stuff

gonna be chewing on this one for a while. ludicrous amounts of research points and materials to craft all these layered sets

• Options
    Just for contrast btw - Fatalis 4 pc is as good as getting to put Health boost 3 on your armor twice.

• Options
    Ratsult2Ratsult2 Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    So there is the normal can't join the multi hunt until you see the cutscene, but it's closer to Deviljho where you have to fight it solo for a bit. Just a heads up for people that want to jump right in with a group of people.

Also, Fatalis is an ass.

Ratsult2 on
  • Options
    Ratsult2 wrote: »
    So there is the normal can't join the multi hunt until you see the cutscene, but it's closer to Deviljho where you have to fight it solo for a bit. Just a heads up for people that want to jump right in with a group of people.

Also, Fatalis is an ass.

It's fatalis!

They are always an arse.

Except crimson fatalis in 4U who was really vulnerable to mounting attacks and so an Insect Glaive user could just stunlock them for everyone.

• Options
    UrQuanLord88UrQuanLord88 Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    At the final phase of the fight, that transition from Fatalis theme to Monster Hunter's theme Proof of a Hero is just *perfection*

MHW definitely has one of the most memorable soundtracks my recent years of PC gaming, I'm gonna be missing that until the next installment

UrQuanLord88 on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/urquanlord88
    urquanlord88.png
    Streaming 8PST on weeknights
  • Options
    The weapons are less impressive alas - -40% afffinity, need sharpness to get purple. Tons of raw though and okay dragon
    hammer has 350 true raw and only 20% negative affinity lol

• Options
    At the final phase of the fight, that transition from Fatalis theme to Monster Hunter's theme Proof of a Hero is just *perfection*

MHW definitely has one of the most memorable soundtracks my recent years of PC gaming, I'm gonna be missing that until the next installment

The music is incredible.

The chase music in the Ancient Forest, come on

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrLUP43H3SA

• Options

The music is incredible.

The chase music in the Ancient Forest, come on

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrLUP43H3SA

Yesss! That piece never fails to pump me up.

• Options
    The fatalis armor is some hilarious stuff.

Beta set gets you 3 stun res, 2x WEX, 2x crit eye, 2x evade window.

So, by themselves, not a bad set of skills to start off with. But then you start looking at the set bonuses.

2x Set bonus? Every single skill secret.
    4x set bonus? +100 max hp & Razor sharp.

Finally? 15x 4 slots.

No, that's not a typo. 15 4 slot decos.

By comparsion - Alpha has 6x 4 slots, 4x 3 slots, 2x 2 slots, and 1x 1 slots. It also adds handicraft 5, evade window +1, guard 3 and crit eye 1 to what the beta set gives.
    Now that's a set worthy of a final challenge.

*One winged angel starts playing*

FAY-TAL-IS!

• Options
    edited October 2020
    Edit: double post.

Dr. Chaos on