As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

*loading a shotgun & getting on the rocket ship* moon's haunted (Spelunky 2) - STEAM/PS4

• Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    Ashcroft wrote: »
    OK I'm not seeing any slow down, but something is up with this game. It's maxing out pretty much any GPU, but only when you alt tab. wtf?? 1070, 1080, 2080, it's doing it to everything it seems.

try windowed borderless. Just the main menu was running like crap on fullscreen, then as soon as I switched it was totally smooth

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    AshcroftAshcroft LOL The PayloadRegistered User regular
    I finally had a good run!
    Made it to Hell? Castle? It's red and Vlad lives there, under the drill.

I got the clone gun, and a sword. I tried cloning the sword and got a broken sword. I feel like there is 1000000% a secret around cloning multiple special items. Maybe the Sword, Sun Arrow, and Moon Bow? But how would you get them all in the same place?

I stabbed a giant turtle person to death, and unlocked Tina, but then died on 6-2 after the curse pot was broken by aomething off screen 3 seconds after I entered the level :/

But I'm finally starting to get to grips with the game. I think moving to PC and playing with my normal Spelunky controller is helping. The 144hz certainly is nice

ZD98Zka.png
  • Options
    ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular
    Made it to the Black Market for the first time... almost resisted the temptation to steal everything but caved in in the end, and then I carefully stepped back to watch the carnage from a safe distance while the shopkeepers......can apparently climb ladders now :(

• Options
    Yeah the new shopkeepers plus the fact that every pack and bomb item blows the hell up if you shoot it really changes the black market.

Plus the jungle is harder then Hell from Spelunky 1, it's almost not worth going there. Vulcana is very dangerous if you have any sort of pack, but it's more manageable.

ZD98Zka.png
  • Options
    WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    Black Market strats:
    The ladder change actually makes the place easier to rob. If you aggro the place and climb up near the top of the ladder on the left, the shopkeepers will climb up and basically slam their own heads into your boots for you. There will generally be a couple stragglers in the upper right and in the crawlspace, but you get most of them. I think they're also less likely to shoot to the right into their own shops this way.

I haven't found the Jungle to be that bad once you've been through it enough times to stop getting rubed by spike traps in the floor and ceiling constantly. Except for when you get an Oops! All Witchdoctors level. Fuuuuck those seeds.

I think I die more in Volcana, but in fairness that all comes down to either messing with wild dogs or spending too much time figuring out thorough exploration routes. Volcana is meant to be dived, and if you commit to that it is pretty quick and easy.

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    I made it to 3-1. I took my chances with a kind of idol trap I hadn't seen before, right by the level start. It turned out to be deadlier than expected.

• Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    Vocano question:
    What's the deal with the guy you can save with the silver key that spawns in one of the levels? He says Tusk won't like this, which i assume is the merchant? But I haven't seen anything about what it does

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    cursedking wrote: »
    Vocano question:
    What's the deal with the guy you can save with the silver key that spawns in one of the levels? He says Tusk won't like this, which i assume is the merchant? But I haven't seen anything about what it does
    One of the achievement descriptions mention Madame Tusk's Palace of Pleasure. One of the screenshots on the Steam store shows a walrus in a dress, who I assume is Madame Tusk.

I have no idea if rescuing him actually does anything besides him giving you a diamond.

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    It does, I will do two levels of spoilers for this:
    Saving Van Helsing will put him on a perch in Dracula's castle, and he will 1-hit kill the fucker for you, which lets you get Vlad's Cape, and the crown is right there.
    There is a secret exit in the water level that will open up access to a special exit if you have the crown and Van Helsing was rescued in the volcano, unsure whether you need Excalibur for that.

• Options
    Oh cool, I thought he looked like that guy but I wasn't sure if it was him

• Options
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    Saving Van Helsing will put him on a perch in Dracula's castle, and he will 1-hit kill the fucker for you, which lets you get Vlad's Cape, and the crown is right there.
    There is a secret exit in the water level that will open up access to a special exit if you have the crown and Van Helsing was rescued in the volcano, unsure whether you need Excalibur for that.
    Regarding the nested spoiler:
    I don't think Abzu has anything to do with Van Horsing; is there another Tide Pool secret I don't know about?

• Options
    Oh, well, if that's the case, then my nested spoiler isn't correct. Though
    He is in the "cave" leading to the under lava room saying "I have a bad feeling about this" or something along those lines. That led me to believe he was a requirement, and the only times I've gotten to that point I had Excalibur, as well, so I assumed that, also, was a requirement, but it's just impossible to be sure.

• Options
    Vocano question:
    Van Horsing. I don't know what his deal with Tusk is (who's the walrus merchant in the eastern water theme zone), but if you you free him in 2-1, then when you get to Vlad's castle by using the drill later then he'll kill Vlad for you, making it easy to get the crown.

Steam ID
  • Options
    Oh, well, if that's the case, then my nested spoiler isn't correct. Though
    He is in the "cave" leading to the under lava room saying "I have a bad feeling about this" or something along those lines. That led me to believe he was a requirement, and the only times I've gotten to that point I had Excalibur, as well, so I assumed that, also, was a requirement, but it's just impossible to be sure.
    That can just be whoever. I've seen Yang and the jungle NPCs in that position as well.

• Options
    edited October 2020
    Wyvern wrote: »
    I don't think Abzu has anything to do with Van Horsing; is there another Tide Pool secret I don't know about?

so just to lay it all out (I watched too many streamers while waiting for the pc release...)
    Van Horsing makes it easier to get the Crown (though you can get it without him)

Having either the Crown or the Hedjet allows you to pick up Excalibur

Going through caves to get under the lava floor in the water zone and then releasing the lava will expose a hidden exit (you'll probably need to use the Ankh, though it's possible to survive). That exit will take you to the turtle boss. Excalibur lets you kill the turtle boss to get the tablet. You can do it without Excalibur but it's way harder and a massive pain in the ass requiring a bunch of bombs.

I'll hold off on going into tablet and beyond stuff for now

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
  • Options

so just to lay it all out (I watched too many streamers while waiting for the pc release...)
    Van Horsing makes it easier to get the Crown (though you can get it without him)

Going through caves to get under the lava floor in the water zone and then releasing the lava will expose a hidden exit (you'll probably need to use the Ankh, though it's possible to survive). That exit will take you to the turtle boss. Excalibur lets you kill the turtle boss to get the tablet. You can do it without Excalibur but it's way harder and a massive pain in the ass requiring a bunch of bombs.

I was just watching a streamer do olmec, and aside from the doors at the lava level, there was a hidden door in the second level of rock. Do you know where that goes?

• Options
    edited October 2020

I was just watching a streamer do olmec, and aside from the doors at the lava level, there was a hidden door in the second level of rock. Do you know where that goes?
    There's 3 floors in the Olmec fight. Top floor where you start, mid floor which leads to Tide Pool, and bottom floor which leads to Temple of Anubis. Below that bottom floor there's lava, if you kill olmec there's doorways down there to grab the Ankh.

To the right, in between the top and middle floor you can use a couple bombs to reveal a hidden doorway to a side room where Waddler is hiding, you can drop off items with him to pick up later in the Ice Cave. Relevant to hidden ending stuff

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
  • Options
    Questions about 3-1
    Can you kill mecha Olmec or do you just have to go the exit?

I've found the exits to Tide Pool and Temple of Anubis. Are those it or are there more?

• Options
    edited October 2020
    Peewi wrote: »
    Questions about 3-1

I've found the exits to Tide Pool and Temple of Anubis. Are those it or are there more?
    If you destroy the 2 glowy bits on his bottom then he'll crash down and start jumping around again. Kill him by making him fall into the lava again (you can just let him float and throw bombs for a couple minutes to take out most of the floor). When he falls in the lava you can stand on his head and go into a cave to get to the Ankh.

Those are the 2 exits from 3-1 yes. As in my previous spoiler post though there is also a hidden side room with Waddler, and the side room hidden caves with the Ankh, those aren't exits though

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
  • Options
    Questions about 3-1

If you destroy the 2 glowy bits on his bottom then he'll crash down and start jumping around again. Kill him by making him fall into the lava again (you can just let him float and throw bombs for a couple minutes to take out most of the floor). When he falls in the lava you can stand on his head and go into a cave to get to the Ankh.

And if you do this without a rope or jetpack, you're fucked mate.

• Options
    Hot damn there's a lot of stuff in Spelunky 2.

I like how every character has a different rope hook. Some of them even have a completely different rope.

• Options
    Yeah I love the jaguar warrior dude with his vine rope. He's my go-to.

• Options
    My main guy in 1 was the golden man. I hope he's in this one and has a gold rope.

I'm making progress, but I feel like it'll take me a while before I get a win, much less get to any major secret areas.

• Options
    The jungle warrior is a lady!

The playable cast is definitely an area in which Spelunky 2 massively improves over its predecessor. In Spelunky HD I played only Tina until I unlocked Margaret, then only Margaret from then on. Spelunky 2 has a good seven or eight characters that I love and can't bear to choose between.

• Options
    It doesn't seem to matter how many times it happened to me in Spelunky 1, I will always die to holding down forward while mining with the mattock and running underneath a fall block. The Moon Challenge is designed specifically to kill me

Steam ID
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Oh my god, 4-3 is cursed. I will never be able to do the thing.
    Finally had a decent run to the Tide Pool after a string of bad ones. Had the Ankh, Hedjet, cape, good equipment, okay number of consumables. I'm running down the level, and there's one unusual spot where a spear trap forms the wall of a raised area with a fall-through platform on top to get to the rest of the level, and I faceplant straight into it at full speed and get skewered. "Jeez, that was embarrassing, good thing I had like 18 life from this Kapala." Everything else goes according to plan. Clear everything, drop my gear in a safe spot, grab the idol, respawn up top, run down, faceplant into the exact same spear trap again and die.
    Why am I so stupid?!

Wyvern on
  • Options
    The jungle warrior is a lady!

The playable cast is definitely an area in which Spelunky 2 massively improves over its predecessor. In Spelunky HD I played only Tina until I unlocked Margaret, then only Margaret from then on. Spelunky 2 has a good seven or eight characters that I love and can't bear to choose between.

Oh dang the sprite was too small for me to notice, I thought it was a shirtless dude!

• Options
    The reward for bringing Yang turkeys send to vary wildly. Sometimes it's a few gems and sometimes it's crates.

One time
    there was a shop back there and it was selling a plasma cannon. Obviously I stole it, but I didn't make it that far because I messed up on 1-4 and got crushed by Quillback.

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    I think the characters might have different parachutes, too

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    I found a neat use for the curse pot
    Being cursed reduces you to 1 HP, so if you throw the curse pot at a big enemy, like the queen bee, you only have to hit them once again to kill them.

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    But it still makes the ghost show up even if you directly whack an enemy with the pot correct

• Options
    Yeah, it still does that.

Think of it as additional motivation for getting to the exit.

• Options
    I found a neat use for the curse pot
    Being cursed reduces you to 1 HP, so if you throw the curse pot at a big enemy, like the queen bee, you only have to hit them once again to kill them.

Another use for the ghost pot
    There's a side room door hidden in the floor under the 1-4 miniboss that you can expose by having him roll a whole bunch or bombing. You can only enter the door if you're cursed (have to smash yourself with the pot, can do this by falling far enough while holding it). Inside the room is a ghost selling presents

Steam ID
  • Options
    I think I just had my stupidest death yet. I tried to rope down into spikes and suddenly I was dead. Only afterwards did I realize that my rope ended on the tile just above the spikes, meaning that I technically fell into them.
    0029D71A887B81512326BDBA69FEF2E217338AB3

• Options
    The ghost jar adds a lot of busy work to zone 1 and it's kind of annoying

Steam ID
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    The five thousand dollareedoo gem is quite pleasing I dont mind breakin em when the exit is nice and easy

• Options
    edited October 2020
    Hobnail wrote: »
    The five thousand dollareedoo gem is quite pleasing I dont mind breakin em when the exit is nice and easy

that's the thing, the $5000 is enough that you want that jar, but running back and forth consantly to shepherd a jar and the pet to the exit (add even more back and forth for the key)... sucks

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    A few more end game secrets have come out

So, if you destroy an alter and get cursed, an NPC gives you the True Crown

This gives you 22 bombs every 22 seconds. But, it also teleports you in the direction you're facing or holding every 22 seconds

You can get an eggplant crown by sacrificing an eggplant in the ice caves, and taking what you get for it to the Sunken City

If you shoot the final (?) boss in the eye with the sun arrow from the moon bow, you are transported to Cosmic Ocean, which seems to have 95 random levels (taking you from 7-5 to 7-99), but people are still looking into it

There's speculation that if you can get to the real final boss with 3 crowns (regular from Vlad or the Hedjet from black market, True, and Eggplant), with the ankh, while cursed, something else might happen in the boss fight or in Cosmic Ocean

Doing this is nigh on impossible as being cursed keeps you at one health and getting all the crowns and surviving the 22 second teleports through the game is a nightmare

There's also a sort of subquest involving an NPC thief that wants you to rob Madame Tusk that isn't very clear

And there might be something with Olmec, as the little Olmec Shuttle you ride has a big shiny jewel in its forehead, and actual Olmec, does not
    This game is wild and I feel like new stuff is still going to be found for a long time yet.

Ashcroft on
    ZD98Zka.png
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    I think I just had my stupidest death yet. I tried to rope down into spikes and suddenly I was dead. Only afterwards did I realize that my rope ended on the tile just above the spikes, meaning that I technically fell into them.
    0029D71A887B81512326BDBA69FEF2E217338AB3

I just roped down onto some bone spikes which were concealing a skeleton

Bouncing off the skeleton was enough to make the drop a spike death

Level 1-2 daily challenge, hooray

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    Ashcroft wrote: »
    A few more end game secrets have come out

So, if you destroy an alter and get cursed, an NPC gives you the True Crown

This gives you 22 bombs every 22 seconds. But, it also teleports you in the direction you're facing or holding every 22 seconds

You can get an eggplant crown by sacrificing an eggplant in the ice caves, and taking what you get for it to the Sunken City

If you shoot the final (?) boss in the eye with the sun arrow from the moon bow, you are transported to Cosmic Ocean, which seems to have 95 random levels (taking you from 7-5 to 7-99), but people are still looking into it

There's speculation that if you can get to the real final boss with 3 crowns (regular from Vlad or the Hedjet from black market, True, and Eggplant), with the ankh, while cursed, something else might happen in the boss fight or in Cosmic Ocean

Doing this is nigh on impossible as being cursed keeps you at one health and getting all the crowns and surviving the 22 second teleports through the game is a nightmare

There's also a sort of subquest involving an NPC thief that wants you to rob Madame Tusk that isn't very clear

And there might be something with Olmec, as the little Olmec Shuttle you ride has a big shiny jewel in its forehead, and actual Olmec, does not
    This game is wild and I feel like new stuff is still going to be found for a long time yet.
    Oh no, I just watched someone get to 7-10 with the True Crown. They were being so careful, but they got a 6 level, and got stunned after an auto tp, and fell to their death

ZD98Zka.png