As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

There is a [Conspiracy Thread] here, and I will seek it out!

• EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    I'm curious where you go with a belief in widespread covert child...trafficking? sacrifice? harvesting? whatever the fuck the general thread of QAnon is nowadays...becoming an accepted part of cultural background noise. Does it just fade away once Trump is no longer in office and become a weird quirk of that person you try not to get into casual conversations with at the office, like chemtrails or cellphones giving you brain cancer and the moon landing being faked? Does it become some kind of weird new secular religion? Does it build to critical mass and society just implodes? It just seems weirdly widespread and accepted despite being utterly absurd in a way that other conspiracy theories haven't been.

The people who believe in it will just pivot to a new conspiracy, like they did to QAnon. These folks don't just magically appear or get convinced, they are searching for a "secret" that will make them "in the know." Its a way to feel like you have control over an unfair, arbitrary, and cold universe - typically by folks who have been dealt a hard lot or for some reason didn't develop strong support networks to deal with the stress and pain in their lives. Conspiracy groups tend to serve as an unhealthy and predatory way to get therapy-like community and positive reinforcement and community. At the cost of accepting reality, making leaving the cult/conspiracy group harder and harder over time.

• MeeqeMeeqe Lord of the pants most fancy Someplace amazingRegistered User regular
    It doesn't fade away, Q in some respects is the follow-up to the Satanic Panic.

• jothkijothki Registered User regular
    The really dumb thing about QAnon is that if it actually was real, all of the effort to publicize it could only serve to sabotage crimefighting efforts.

• NeveronNeveron HellValleySkyTree SwedenRegistered User regular
    Also, QAnon isn't really secular? It runs on existing fundie logic to some degree, hence why they're rapist pedovores who are also satanists and Trump is, to varying degrees, the Messiah.
    8chan had a bunch of atheist teens and whatnot, but the newer older audience (and maybe Jim Watkins, I guess?) are deeply religious.

It's kind of like how Flat Earthers look like they're just a kooky bunch but then you look into it and realize a lot of it's a weird cultish offshoot of Christianity (and also Q).

• TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    I'm curious where you go with a belief in widespread covert child...trafficking? sacrifice? harvesting? whatever the fuck the general thread of QAnon is nowadays...becoming an accepted part of cultural background noise. Does it just fade away once Trump is no longer in office and become a weird quirk of that person you try not to get into casual conversations with at the office, like chemtrails or cellphones giving you brain cancer and the moon landing being faked? Does it become some kind of weird new secular religion? Does it build to critical mass and society just implodes? It just seems weirdly widespread and accepted despite being utterly absurd in a way that other conspiracy theories haven't been.

A lot is going to depend on how Trump leaves office. I think if it's November to next year after having the Presidency stolen from him in 'rigged' election dominated by 'ballot fraud', it'll kick into overdrive. Even more so if he's immediately arrested/charged by some of the individual States.

He's going to lose his mind, and so are they as he fans the flames. After that it'll just be the new version of anti-government conspiracies/militias/terrorism but imagine it will fade away a bit as the narrative doesn't work the same way. Probably some madness at the beginning if Q decides he's being hunted within his own agency, but I reckon they'd do that rather than lead 'the resistance' for a slow burn. I think QAnon needs the sense of great power in secret to have the same pull. Leading the resistance has a lot of initial appeal, but there's going to be a lot of waiting and generally being quite boring compared to imminent arrests and the Storm.

If he doesn't lose, and particularly if he doesn't lose due to electoral fuckery. I reckon they might get their wish in seeing people jailed.

Tastyfish on
  • Edith_Bagot-DixEdith_Bagot-Dix Registered User regular
    Coinage wrote: »

Frightening, but it does scan. I learned about Plandemic from two sources on the same day:
    1. The Knowledghe Fight podcast that was ruthlessly mocking it
    2. My yoga teacher and her husband, who thought it raised interesting questions...and the husband was on our company's COVID response team

Also on Steam and PSN: twobadcats
  • DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Yup, I know a few people who are big into the plandemic (family members so I can't exactly cancel them.) They insist they aren't Trump supporters but gosh, gee, they talk about globalists a lot. It's probably only a matter of time before they go all Q.

Edit: auto correct thought I misspelled pandemic. Lol, it's part of the deep state!

DisruptedCapitalist on
    "Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • HevachHevach Registered User regular
    thought it raised interesting questions

It does raise interesting questions. Those questions have readily available answers which it doesn't provide.

This is where the term "JAQing off" comes from. "Just asking questions" is a favorite technique of bunk peddlers. Making no statements but putting the seeming burden of proof on the reader with the loaded assumptions of the speaker being the default position.

Yup, I know a few people who are big into the plandemic (family members so I can't exactly cancel them.) They insist they aren't Trump supporters but gosh, gee, they talk about globalists a lot. It's probably only a matter of time before they go all Q.

Edit: auto correct thought I misspelled pandemic. Lol, it's part of the deep state!

Yeah, this is super weird in my context because virtually everyone I deal with (including the aforementioned distributors of the Plandemic links) is an expat who has worked all over the world, probably has multiple passports, and often works directly for people who have billions of dollars and business interests all over the world. Like who, exactly, do you think they mean when they say "globalists elites"

Hevach wrote: »

It does raise interesting questions. Those questions have readily available answers which it doesn't provide.

This is where the term "JAQing off" comes from. "Just asking questions" is a favorite technique of bunk peddlers. Making no statements but putting the seeming burden of proof on the reader with the loaded assumptions of the speaker being the default position.

Could this be why no one has proof that Alex Jones doesn't wet the bed?

Could this be why no one has proof that Alex Jones doesn't wet the bed?

That's a very interesting question you ask. Does he wet the bed? Is it true he cannot achieve erection without mechanical aid? Why does he eat puppies? I mean, I'm not saying anything definitive here, I'm just asking questions.

• Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    I mean, we already know he is ready and willing to eat his neighbors.

Now to be fair, he said, "I'm gonna eat your ass." It sounded a lot like, "I'm gonna eat your ass," but maybe he meant more, "I'm gonna eat your ass."

• CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    https://www.thedailybeast.com/trumpy-right-wing-cable-network-is-now-selling-emojis-to-qanon-cultists
    Pro-Trump cable network One America News is selling QAnon emojis on its YouTube channel, cashing in on the conspiracy movement that the FBI considers a potential source of domestic terrorrism.

OAN viewers who pay $4.95 a month to become “members” of the OAN channel on YouTube can use customized QAnon emojis in OAN’s comment sections, in an apparent attempt to win over QAnon believers.

OAN’s sale of the right to use custom QAnon emojis in its comment stream is yet another illustration of how deep QAnon has become integrated into conservative media and, relatedly, the Republican Party, which now has two Senate candidates and several House nominees endorsing the conspiracy theory.
    But OAN has also gone big on QAnon. One QAnon emoji, dubbed “QAnon1” in files, features a large Q in a patriotic color scheme. Another 2020-themed emoji replaces the zeroes in 2020 with Q’s, making it “2Q2Q.”

Another OAN emoji—that is just a yellow box with black letters spelling out “GITMO”—ostensibly offers viewers the chance to support the prospect of top Democrats being arrested and sent to Guantanamo Bay. QAnon believers hold that Trump is engaged in a shadowy war with a cabal of cannibal-pedophiles in the Democratic Party, and that he’ll eventually order a series of mass arrests called “The Storm” that will result in figures like Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama facing military tribunals at Guantanamo Bay. To show their support for this purge, QAnon believers who buy the OAN membership can post the “GITMO” emoji. Another, similarly themed, emoji shows Clinton behind prison bars.

OAN’s YouTube channel emojis even promote the theory—a fringe one even within QAnon circles—that John F. Kennedy Jr. faked his death and will take Mike Pence’s spot on the 2020 ticket. OAN’s chat offers a custom emoji for QAnon believers to show their support for Vincent Fusca, a scruffy Trump supporter who QAnon believers think is JFK Jr. in disguise. The emoji, entitled “FUSCA,” features the fedora-wearing man smiling.
    Of course OAN would be the propaganda network to do that.

If only we could just arrest one Qanon member, we could incarcerate all of them.

• DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    So, I want to write this out because I feel like I'm taking crazy pilled when I think about it.

The Deutsche Bank (who just got caught laundring a trillion Dollars for Russia) personal loan financer for the president of the United States (who we just found out is massively in debt) was the son of the recently and oddly spontaneously retired supreme court justice who then chose his own.replacement (who is a rapist).

I just want apologise to every non-racist conspiracy nut out there.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    Sometimes I sell my stuff on Ebay
  • autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    No no, see, this is all perfectly normal. Just an innocent connection, nothing to see. You're just imagining things.

Now, 5G rays turning the people into mindless slaves for the elite who are using pizza parlors for human traffic, and sacrifice, THAT is obviously the secret hidden in plain sight.

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
    I though 5g was COVID? Which is honestly an improvement because 4g was giving us cancer and 3g was cooking out brains.

• spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Coinage wrote: »

Frightening, but it does scan. I learned about Plandemic from two sources on the same day:
    1. The Knowledghe Fight podcast that was ruthlessly mocking it
    2. My yoga teacher and her husband, who thought it raised interesting questions...and the husband was on our company's COVID response team

Thanks to this thread, I was able to bring up Plandemic in my COVID response meetings before anyone else had a chance to float info from it. I went with "hey just a warning to everyone about this completely nonsense thing floating around..." and then proceeded to mock and debunk it mercilessly. It put anyone else on the call in a position of looking like a credulous loon for even being slightly associated with it, rather than me being in a position of having to debunk existing bullshit already on the table.

A couple of people looked uncomfortable in a way that let me know they'd already seen it on their facebook feed and thought was "interesting", but it was too late to avoid appearing batshit crazy by challenging me. :):)

spool32 on
  • spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    I though 5g was COVID? Which is honestly an improvement because 4g was giving us cancer and 3g was cooking out brains.

basically these towers are getting safer all the time

• RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »

6G will cause mild carpet burn

• GiantGeek2020GiantGeek2020 Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »

6G will cause mild carpet burn

But interestingly enough only on your knees. 😏

• DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    Is it a conspiracy if its just status quo networking nepotism?

steam_sig.png
  • MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »
    So, I want to write this out because I feel like I'm taking crazy pilled when I think about it.

The Deutsche Bank (who just got caught laundring a trillion Dollars for Russia) personal loan financer for the president of the United States (who we just found out is massively in debt) was the son of the recently and oddly spontaneously retired supreme court justice who then chose his own.replacement (who is a rapist).

I mean, there are plenty of real conspiracies in the world, like the conspiracy to fix prices of canned tuna.. Conspiracy theorists though never catch a single one of them.

Also, heads up but I think seat belt denialism (people not wearing their seatbelts, but intentionally and OBNOXIOUSLY LOUDLY because lib owning?) is going to be the next stupid fad thing among conspiracy theorist types. It's anecdotal but I'm starting to see antivax/anti-maskers also calling themselves seat belt deniers.

• Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Mayabird wrote: »

I mean, there are plenty of real conspiracies in the world, like the conspiracy to fix prices of canned tuna.. Conspiracy theorists though never catch a single one of them.

Also, heads up but I think seat belt denialism (people not wearing their seatbelts, but intentionally and OBNOXIOUSLY LOUDLY because lib owning?) is going to be the next stupid fad thing among conspiracy theorist types. It's anecdotal but I'm starting to see antivax/anti-maskers also calling themselves seat belt deniers.

Or the fact that the US government deployed chemical weapon landmines* in many parts of the western US. Something you'd expect the conspiracy types to latch onto as proof of...something, but nary a peep.

(*they're pest control devices. Extraordinarily bad ideas on every level, given that they aren't even marked and the only reason no one has died is dumb luck)

• MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    QAnoners are doing a whole lot of child abduction. It seems a lot of the cultists are really bad parents who lost custody of their kids for being awful parents, and get into Q because they can convince themselves that by kidnapping their children, they're actually great parents who are rescuing their kids.

These children are almost certainly going to endure a lot of abuse.

• Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Of fucking course

• Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    Mayabird wrote: »

What really?

I think the real conspiracy is that there is a secret cabal of eugenicists that make up and spread dangerous ideas in order to get stupid and gullible people to kill themselves.

• augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
  • OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    I just don't see how people can be that accepting of obvious bullshit

what the hell, people

• ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    Man while my biggest wish is that Biden wins the presidency, my close second wish is that nobody gets killed in the ensuing QAnon meltdown

• IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Orca wrote: »
    I just don't see how people can be that accepting of obvious bullshit

what the hell, people

It's religion.

• Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    I mean, I can’t deny that’s an incredibly inspired take.

• IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited October 2020
    The Qult must really love when the Mupppets reunite. "TOGETHER again, again."

There is literally nothing they won't warp to mean what they want. Think of how long the Elvis Lives stuff kept going on, now add The Internet.

Incenjucar on
  • DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    Yeah I've seen some 'He's pretending to go into quarantine because the arrests are about to start'

steam_sig.png
    I thought that, according to Q, anyone famous who caught COVID-19 was actually being executed for pedophilia at Guantanamo Bay.

So why would Skeletor go into secret hiding in Skull Mountain at the very moment all the Masters of the Universe are imprisoned and/or executed forever? I can see the twisted logic in a plan that would kill the villain with the hero, but not one in which the villain hides from victory while minions he openly despises take all the credit.

• ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Off the cuff? To prevent Masters of the Universe loyalists from taking one last chance at revenge before the purge/jailing/whatever is complete, at which point he/they can emerge safely victorious?

Like, it's all crazy bullshit to begin with, but it takes very little imagination (imo) to follow that path as sensible if you're not playing within a consistent reality.

Use video game/movie/tv logic and it all fits together well.

Perhaps too well, but I've already said too much....

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!