As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

It's not anime, it's the 4th [Gunpla] thread

• HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    turtleant wrote: »
    The IBO kits as a whole dont seem to age well.

And I dont mean like, with hindsight. I mean they start falling apart. My Lupus Rex HG is the only one I built that wasn't developing structural issues when I put kits away a couple weeks ago.

They've had a real problem with the polycaps losing grip after a couple of years, and they become floppy messes or just fall apart.

• Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular

Poking through the MG Perfectability manual, this got a laugh out of me. There are duplicate C and R1 runners to deliver the V-fin in blue, rather than white. And then on top of that "one of the C18 and C19 is a spare" - those are the only parts used on that runner!

Guess this is the flip side of them not molding or painting the MGEX Unicorn V-fin. :P

Oh brilliant
    Same thing happens with the FAZZ Ver Ka for the G and H2 runners.

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Happened with my LE of Liger Zero too... if it were a normal release, they'd do proper color separation. But NOOOOO.. . Just give me 4-5 extra runners as long as the cost isn't terrible! :D

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Speaking of FAZZ (and excuses to post this)

... Someday I'll touch my backlog again...

0mX57aSl.jpg

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    yeah, recolors often mean a lot of surplus plastic due to runner layouts

speaking of recolors

yes i already own these components in different colors and yes i'm gonna buy this too

uc3ufTB.png
    There are some really cool spare parts in here too, actually! It has the runner from the MG Banshee OVA for the Armed Armor VN (the claw hand thing) which happens to include blue psychoframe versions of all the vents on the leg and skirt armor that are usually gold on the Banshee (and are orange psychoframe on the OVA version) and they're all junk parts here! Also has a junk clear blue head camera piece - a part that is normally grey / stickers on the MG Unicorn (and indeed, the manual has you build the Perfectability without this clear blue camera)

These are gonna come in very handy for my MG Phenex Rehab project - definitely using these clear blue bits on there, make it a lil' more unique. I've been scraping and scrounging bits to fix this thing for weeks, and then Perfectability just drops a dump truck of new possibilities on me...

Speaking of clear blue, the beam saber and hyper javelin effects are molded in that same deep blue as the psychoframe and they look gorgeous.

Oh, and prize for the silliest spare part; it has one of the massive Full Armor Unicorn's fuel tank rockets! Can't spot the verniers for it, might not be able to build the whole thing or attach it, but that is a crazy large junk part.

Oh brilliant
  • turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    think I might get myself a FAZZ for christmas if they're still available for close to MSRP by then

turtleant on
    X22wmuF.jpg
  • DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Delduwath wrote: »
    All 63 Gundam Base kits for the US Online Expo unveiled, prices included;

https://p-bandai.com/us/cont/campaign/gundam-cp03?utm_source=owned&utm_medium=gundaminfo_owned_web&utm_campaign=20200816_hobby_apparel_gundam

...am I fuckin' crazy for thinking that MG Perfectability would make a good base to paint a Phenex? D:
    Feeling blessed that almost none of this appeals to me.

Althoooouuuuugh that clear-armor MG RX-78-2 does look really cool.
    So, I just wanted to circle back around to this and - having just unpacked my recently-arrived orders - see where I've ended up after my very confident statement that "almost none of [the Online Expo kits] appeal to me".

Where I've ended up is with 3 new MGs, 2 new RGs, and 2 new HGs sitting on top of my to-build pile.

"Almost none" indeed.

I was already eagerly awaiting mine to show up, but after seeing this I absolutely can not wait

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTwdnltIc10

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Corporal CarlCorporal Carl Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    yeah, recolors often mean a lot of surplus plastic due to runner layouts

speaking of recolors

I just love love LOVE that Titans colour scheme of blue, black, yellow and a tiny bit of red.

But WHY does the upcoming Build Divers Re:Rise Core Gundam (Titans Colours) have so much red in it?
    Couldn’t the chest just be yellow instead of red?
    m3tle90mmtgz.jpeg

Corporal Carl on
    PSN (PS4-Europe): Carolus-Billius
    I finished building the MG FAZZ Ver Ka last night, and it's crazy the amount of wasted plastic in this kit. Even after taking a few sprues with only a couple of parts left and trimming them off to go into my bits boxes, I still ended up with 10 runners. At least 4 of those basically only had one or two parts used. Bandai really should have remolded the runners or better planned the FAZZ when laying out the ZZ.

Just as an example, the extended length beam sabers for the FAZZ come in white. But, you also get in light grey enough parts to build both the normal ZZ and the extended beam sabers. So I have 4 extra gigantic beam sabers. Also a ton of missiles, possibly everything but the polycaps to build an alternate color of the twin beam rifle. It's nuts. They could have easily knocked the price of this kit down by $20-$30 if they hadn't had all this extra plastic.

turtleant wrote: »
    think I might get myself a FAZZ for christmas if they're still available for close to MSRP by then

It should be, since it's something that Bandai will frequently reprint. On other news, I managed to pick up the MG Deep Striker for $160.

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    Speaking of FAZZ (and excuses to post this)

... Someday I'll touch my backlog again...

0mX57aSl.jpg

Just mail one to me, I'll have a crack at it.

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Zz's huge chunky beam sabers are so goofy looking

BahamutZERO.gif
  • LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    Their design definitely feels like they were intended more as their cannon mode over the “is a handheld saber hilt” mode

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Heffling wrote: »
    I finished building the MG FAZZ Ver Ka last night, and it's crazy the amount of wasted plastic in this kit. Even after taking a few sprues with only a couple of parts left and trimming them off to go into my bits boxes, I still ended up with 10 runners. At least 4 of those basically only had one or two parts used. Bandai really should have remolded the runners or better planned the FAZZ when laying out the ZZ.

Just as an example, the extended length beam sabers for the FAZZ come in white. But, you also get in light grey enough parts to build both the normal ZZ and the extended beam sabers. So I have 4 extra gigantic beam sabers. Also a ton of missiles, possibly everything but the polycaps to build an alternate color of the twin beam rifle. It's nuts. They could have easily knocked the price of this kit down by $20-$30 if they hadn't had all this extra plastic.

I can't imagine the runners are even $1 a piece to produce, let alone $2-3. If they were affecting the MSRP for the kits that much I suspect they would have retooled to cut down on the waste.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
    The main driver for the cost of the kit is the amount of plastic it comes with.

• H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    I'd be surprised if the complexity of the kit and the tooling costs aren't bigger factors. If they had redesigned the runners to not include so many unused bits, you'd be paying more for the work that went into making new molds.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Gunpla thread, maybe you can help me! I have some painted metal models that have been collecting dust for the last couple years, and I'd like to clean them as minimally invasively as possible. What's the best way to do that? Shove 'em under the sink? Scrub 'em with a paper towel?

Throw them out and buy new ones?

What are they painted with?

My go to might just be a bit of dish soap and water, drying carefully after in case rusting is an issue; a toothbrush might be good to get the kind of dislodging of stuck in dust and oils you need

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    Give them a soak in some Simple Green, preferably overnight, then scrub them with a coarse brush.

04xkcuvaav19.png
    Lanz wrote: »
    What are they painted with?

My go to might just be a bit of dish soap and water, drying carefully after in case rusting is an issue; a toothbrush might be good to get the kind of dislodging of stuck in dust and oils you need

Not really sure? It's some models I bought already painted.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Amount of plastic is absolutely a big part of how they price kits.

The O HG dont cost 30 some dollars because it's a complex kit. He just got a fat ass.

X22wmuF.jpg
    Are you trying to strip the paint or just clean them up a bit?

Athenor wrote: »
    Are you trying to strip the paint or just clean them up a bit?

Just get the dust and inevitable oils off (since they're in a room adjoining the kitchen).

• TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    Just use some canned air to blow dust off and some toilet paper or tissues for oil.

steam_sig.png
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    TNTrooper wrote: »
    Just use some canned air to blow dust off and some toilet paper or tissues for oil.

Depending on the size/detail, maybe some q-tips for cleaning.
    Might try a little rubbing alcohol if some of the grime doesn't want to come off.

see317 wrote: »
    TNTrooper wrote: »

Depending on the size/detail, maybe some q-tips for cleaning.
    Might try a little rubbing alcohol if some of the grime doesn't want to come off.

Depending on the paints, rubbing alcohol can act as a thinner.

waNkm4k.jpg?1
    Trying to decide on whether my MG Phenex should have a weapon or not. It doesn't have anything in the NT movie, right? The regular Unicorn armaments don't seem grand enough, I dunno, seems kinda silly to have this resplendent golden Gundam wielding a regular ol' gun. Considering giving it the hyper beam javelin from the Perfectability. Or... maybe just the blue beam sabres from it?

Oh brilliant
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Basically finished up all the weapons and such for my MG Ground GM while having Netflix on.

So what's next... MG Gundam Mk II 2.0? Yeah, that sound good, I'm in the middle of watching Zeta after all.

*opens box*

*flips through manual*

*looks at sprues*

Actually...

*looks at glass of wine that has been refilled multiple times*

I'm... just going to panel line some of this base tonight.

• Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    https://p-bandai.com/us/item/N2527606001001

What is the G-Frame line? Figures or models?

figures

X22wmuF.jpg
  • RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    Small-ish figures. Smaller than HG. You put them together, but I wouldn't call them models.

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Some guy's doing a custom build of the super robot combiner ZZ gundam thing from Build Fighters Try

not sure what optimus prime is doing in those pictures
    e: oh he's using that artist's hand pose drawing style as reference for a custom hand he's making for it

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
    Converting the MG I assume?

X22wmuF.jpg
  • miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    parts come already separated and painted, you just assemble them yourself and can swap the armor between a mostly static standing inner frame and an articulated one
    80gh3suswbwr.jpg

also yeah they're just slightly shorter than an average HG

uc3ufTB.png
    not sure what optimus prime is doing in those pictures
    e: oh he's using that artist's hand pose drawing style as reference for a custom hand he's making for it

that artist is masami obari, who's a super robot anime veteran and frequent gundam collaborator

i'm not sure if he designed that ZZ variant himself but he was brought on to direct the bits of the show involving it

uc3ufTB.png
  • Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular

FURIOUS i will never get the STL to make my own

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I wanted the sticker pack USA Gundam Store was selling and then I decided I should probably get a kit to justify the shipping so I got the Galbaldy don't @ me

This discussion has been closed.