As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The newest action figures (and other toys) thread (NSF56k)

• CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Cambiata wrote: »
    Betsuni wrote: »
    Ah thanks, that thread had a link to a good pair of side cutters. I actually just went through one whole shell just carefully using the xacto knife and that works pretty well, just some of the flash is kind of large and nippers would help. The hard part is finding the right kind of screws I need for these dolls, because they didn't come with them. Home Depot doesn't seem to stock them.

Since they are in Japan I would assume they are metric and probably some sort of JIS head. Is there a fan forum or something where you can post asking someone who has the screws if they could measure them for you? I'm imagining that you'll probably have to hit up a smaller hardware store (like ACE Hardware) and see if they have a bin of screws you can look at. I know that Transformer toys usually use odd sized ones for the US but common in Japan and the rest of Asia.

I've found the ones I need on Amazon, I just had to do a little fiddling with the screw search thinger that they have there. I have to buy them in quantities more than I'll ever need, but whatevs.

Oooh, Amazon has a screw search tool??? May you please share the link?

Well I found it by searching self-tapping screws, you see the filter right at the top:

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=self-tapping+screws&ref=nb_sb_noss_1

Made my search a lot easier.

You'll find a similar filter if for nuts and for washers if you search them.

Also for the curious, this is what the build looks like, Danny made the step by step himself to follow:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZLN56jWyeo

I'll be honest, it would have been fun if they were delivered in those plastic cages where you have to cut the parts out entirely. But they only ever sent out the parts with flashing attached.

I was super stuck on this build because of a step with the upper body where you have to put in a special socket at the back of the torso (for the stand) and the pressure to put that socket in is so high I could NOT get it done with my fingers, and using a wrench or something would damage the plastic. I asked my husband thinking man fingers were needed, but he was equally unable to move it. I finally realized I have a tool that wouldn't damage the plastic but could give me mechanical force for the socket: I have quick-adjust clamps with soft pads as the holders. A few cranks on that thing and I FINALLY got the socket into place. I'm glad I found a solution, I was afraid I wouldn't be able to build any of these kits because of that one step.

Edit: Also, at the start when he's putting support socket on in the video, he says, "we don't want it coming out, so we put a bit of glue in here." After all the work to get it in there, I don't know how he thinks it's possible to get that thing out. short of destroying the entire frame!

Cambiata on
    "If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    That Amazon link is weird. I imagine it’s fine to preorder it there, I’m sure they’ll get it corrected

but I did it through Target with an added Black Series Captain Cardinal to get free shipping... because spending an extra $25 to save $6 makes sense... right?

I seem to have the same math problems. Then on other days (exclusives) I just bite the shipping costs since I don't want to miss out.

Speaking of exclusives

I fucking missed the Hasbro Pulse exclusive Black Series Cad Bane

I might as well just die now

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    That Amazon link is weird. I imagine it’s fine to preorder it there, I’m sure they’ll get it corrected

but I did it through Target with an added Black Series Captain Cardinal to get free shipping... because spending an extra $25 to save $6 makes sense... right?

I seem to have the same math problems. Then on other days (exclusives) I just bite the shipping costs since I don't want to miss out.

Speaking of exclusives

I fucking missed the Hasbro Pulse exclusive Black Series Cad Bane

I might as well just die now

Unless you wanted the droid, he'll be sold later on as a regular release.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    edited October 2020
    “Unless you wanted the droid”

Get a load of this wise guy

:P

Forever Zefiro on
    2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
    “Unless you wanted the droid”

Get a load of this wise guy

:P

Pfft, like you needed that piece of plastic that will become a dust collector in a few days anyways. Why are you buying all these toys? I thought you were done with toys when you grew up. Sheesh!
    Am I doing it right?

Yeah, I got the e-mail from Hasbro Pulse that orders were live, went and it said sold out. Read it was gone in minutes.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Built my first one!
    1e46lz98pmr8.jpg

They don't come with underwear but I put her in some for modesty. The faces I bought to go with it are blank, so I'll need to paint those as well, but I'll probably build all the bodies, first.

Also I, uh, wasn't supposed to be buying any dolls, but Smart Doll does a lottery sort of a deal called "Only the Brave", where you order a doll for slightly less than you would normally pay, but you don't decide what doll you get, and in some cases you may get an unreleased prototopye. I figured I'd most likely get a doll I already have and then I'd sell it. Well I struck gold and got an unreleased prototype. I'm most likely going to sell it at prototype prices (so at least double what I paid for it), I could use the money frankly. She's cuter than I expected, though, so I'm torn.
    9lbtceqkbhjq.jpg

Edit: Yeah, I decided to sell that prototype doll. She's super cute but there are other dolls I like better and I just want the money to live on right now.

Also, Danny had all these screws I was supposed to need for the build and I didn't need any of them, I'm super confused. I think the screws are for if you're building the frame from scratch, but he doesn't have those kits anymore, he's only selling completed frames (which is a blessing, I heard the frames are annoyingly difficult to construct).

Cambiata on
    "If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
    Awww, that is a cool assembled doll! The lack of eyes first creeped me out, but it really is cool and hope you share your painted head here.

That is even cooler you got a prototype doll from the lottery! I would have said keep it since it is an one of a kind and there will always be money. Lol. But again if it helps you out right now the money is better! So maybe it was meant to be and this was the Universe helping you out. At least you will have some time with it and can take lots of photos for the memories.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Eh, I'm so-so about the looks of the doll. The thing is, I wasn't a big fan of that style - I like the semi-real style, but the nose isn't exactly what I want. Which is weird because I did think I wanted to see Danny sculpt a nose with nostrils, but I just don't like that particular nose, I guess? I was just surprised at first at how cute it is in person. But, eh, it's not really my thing. I was really hoping for either a cocoa doll or a prototype blue doll. Having yet another white girl in my collection isn't really as desirable as pretty much anything else. So I didn't even take that many pictures, and I don't have a desire to.

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    Awww, that is a cool assembled doll! The lack of eyes first creeped me out, but it really is cool and hope you share your painted head here.

That is even cooler you got a prototype doll from the lottery! I would have said keep it since it is an one of a kind and there will always be money. Lol. But again if it helps you out right now the money is better! So maybe it was meant to be and this was the Universe helping you out. At least you will have some time with it and can take lots of photos for the memories.

Yeah, the empty eye sockets are pretty creepy when I'm surfing in a dark room late at night before going to sleep.
    So, thanks for the nightmare fuel, Cambiata.

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Got some stuff in and this is going to be a doozy of a post! Also had an area in my kitchen cleaned off for a change, so different venue to take photos. I think it looks lots better.

First up is Cyberverse Ultra-class Clobber
    PX7fAhp.jpg

Alt-Mode and Armor Mode
    Vq2LNcI.jpg
    nyiPtHc.jpg

Clobber was the breakout character of Cyberverse. Originally intended to be a take on Animated Lugnut, the creators wanted to make her female and Hasbro told them to just make her a new character, and thus Clobber was born. She's interesting because while she's the brawn over brains steroetype, she also nice and friendly. She's a badguy, but she's not a bad guy, you know? She winds up having a great arc in Season 3. This Cyberverse toy piqued my interest as it has a decent amount of articlulation for a Cyberverse toy. Enough to let her sneak into my G1 Decepticon shelf. (Though I have Prime Airrachnid on that shelf, and that's a horrible figure). The toy is fairly simple, but I like how the simplicity makes it look more like it's from a cartoon, and it's nice having a big burly lady on my shelves since there hasn't been a Strika toy in ages. Transformation in her hover tank mode is simple, but it's super fast. It's not nearly as show accurate as the robot mode (it suffers a bit from obvious arm syndrome) but it's a nice pudgy little tank. She also has an "armor up" gimmick like the rest of this line, but it's nothing really special. It kinda just takes up space in a backpack.

Generations Selects Hot House
    RxdqDdl.jpg
    Alt-Modes
    Instructions Alt-Mode
    lAAfs3R.jpg
    My attempt at a G1 altmode
    SIarFAf.jpg

Hot House is a redeco of the Earthrise modulator Airwave, and unlike Greasepit before him, lacks anything to distinguish himself next to Airwave aside form his deco. He has Airwaves nice and squat body and normal actiulation, but hte problem comes with his alt-modes. None of the ones in the instructions (there are several, along with a way to use him as a weaponizer) are his G1 alt-modes (they're Airwaves). Fiddling with the toy reveals that there SHOULD be a way to do it, as there are specific connection point accomodations that serve no other purpose than to put certain pieces in certain places. I've tried to assemble a facsimile of the G1 alt-mode to varied success. I haven't even bother trying to make his battle station mode from G1. More tinkering required.

Generation Selects Centurion Drone
    h3siCUT.jpg

Alt-Modes
    skBR2js.jpg
    jTLUzSk.jpg

The Centurion Drone is a repaint of Siege Brunt, who was a remake of a G1 Trypticon accessory without an robot-mode, so they modeled it off of the Centurion Drones from earlier TF fiction. Full circle! The Drone is alright. He's decently fun to play with, though sometimes the turret rotator does not want to detach from the vehicle mode and that can be frustrating. His alt-mode is a weirdish sort of tank (accurate to G1 Brunt in design) with a large front module pulling along a smaller back module that has a rotating gun on it. I like this alt-mode because you can see part of the Drone's face, and it reminds me of Beast Machines (in a good way). He's a weaponizer, so I attached him to Wheeljack just to take pictures, but I think I'm going to leave him like that. Makes it look like Wheeljack is wielding a bunch of impromptu weapons he's improvised.

But who cares, he's not the reason anyone bought this package! It's all about the accessories! The pack came with a TON of accessories and I gussied up a bunch of my figures to show them off.
    3QMPWJX.jpg
    Here's Earthrise Optimus Prime with Roller, his stupidly big blaster, his energy axe and you can JUST barely see Sideswipes rocket pack on him. I'll admit Roller was a big imputus for getting this set. Wish Sideswipes backpack was painted, but you'll be hearing that a lot as I talk about these accessories. I have no idea why they made Primes blaster that big.

O3nLQ5N.jpg
    Here's Siege Megatron's energy mace. It's always in that pose unfortunately, and my Siege Megatron's hands are pretty limpy so they collapse if weight it put on them in the wrong way. Makes posing him hard.

K3CiW0x.jpg
    Starscream dual wielding Megatron (with a detachable silencer) and an unpainted Shockwave. Kinda weird given I don't think Shockwave has ever, EVER turned into a pistol-sized pistol. He's basically a space cannon shaped like a gun. Megatron looks great though.

Em1kM2m.jpg
    Titan's Return Bumblebee guards a captured Siege Ravage. Bee's gun will be moving to the Nextflix Bumblebee when that arrives (so he doesn't have to use that ridiculous cannon). The gun is unpainted, but it works in this case. The Ravage cage is, ridiculously, transparent plastic painted black! Why? Not only does it make it more fragile for no reason, it's one of the few items that would have been perfectly fine in grey unpainted plastic! Madness! The black paint kinda sucks because it makes it harder to make out Ravage in the cage.

PACSLwg.jpg
    On the left we have Cliffjumper's Glass Gas gun, Ironhide's drill, Trailbreaker's dish, all unpainted. In on the right we have Soundwave in tapedeck mode, an unpainted Reflector in camera mode and the tiniest, tiniest Optimus Prime in existence (scaled(ish) to WFC Unicron). Seriously, if you get this set, be careful because you could literally accidently inhale this Prime. Losing him to the carpet seems all but assured. Reflector has a peg so he can be held (weirdly) but Soundwave does not.

Finally, a very, very special deviation from the norm, I give you the Ghostbusters Plasma Series Neutrona Wand.
    FRrLx2z.jpg
    nR8JapM.jpg

This thing is bloody awesome. It's mostly plastic (metal frame? plastic. Wood handle? plastic. Cloth on the grip? plastic.) but the switches and dials are metal and click like real switches, which feels great. It looks great, especially when the lights are on. There's actually a sequence of things to do in order to get it fully on, which is cool. It has a intensity dial (increasing rumble/noise and has 5 settings), the stick at the end pops out, there's an adapter to attach it to backpacks, and there's even a selector that let's you change it to the alternate weapon modes from the videogame! Complete with unique light colors and sounds!

This thing rules!

Undead Scottsman on
    see317 wrote: »

Yeah, the empty eye sockets are pretty creepy when I'm surfing in a dark room late at night before going to sleep.
    So, thanks for the nightmare fuel, Cambiata.

Well I was going to put eyes in and retake the picture (especially as I have already built a second doll), but it turns out I'm out of blue tac which holds the eyes in. So you'll have to live with those nightmares!

• HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    How do you know it was a prototype, @Cambiata ?

• DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Finally, a very, very special deviation from the norm, I give you the Ghostbusters Plasma Series Neutrona Wand.
    FRrLx2z.jpg
    nR8JapM.jpg

This thing is bloody awesome. It's mostly plastic (metal frame? plastic. Wood handle? plastic. Cloth on the grip? plastic.) but the switches and dials are metal and click like real switches, which feels great. It looks great, especially when the lights are on. There's actually a sequence of things to do in order to get it fully on, which is cool. It has a intensity dial (increasing rumble/noise and has 5 settings), the stick at the end pops out, there's an adapter to attach it to backpacks, and there's even a selector that let's you change it to the alternate weapon modes from the videogame! Complete with unique light colors and sounds!

This thing rules!

It looks like what I would picture the very first lightsaber ever invented to be.

edited October 2020
    Heffling wrote: »
    How do you know it was a prototype, Cambiata ?

Because I know all the dolls Danny has released, and she isn't one of them.

Also, I can search the Smart Doll website for all past releases and she's not there.

Cambiata on
    @Undead Scottsman I love the story behind Clobber, I didn't know that she was a female bot!

I'm jealous of your Hot House. Now I really want to order one since they got the words on the white area correctly placed (the prototype showed it upside down).

So did you not get the energon cubes in the bag of goodies with Centurion? Also thanks for pointing out the glass gun for Cliffjumper. I sat there yesterday confused what it was since it didn't show up on the images in the box. Thanks! I concur with the choice for making the cage clear plastic then painted. Why, when the rest was grey plastic. So odd of a choice to not make it at least black plastic.

That plasma wand... It is so beautiful!!! I'm jealous! I love lightsabers, but man that thing puts them to shame.

oosik_betsuni.png
    edited October 2020
    Whoops, forgot about the cubes. Here they are with Earthrise Optimus for size comparison. They're cool looking, but don't have any pegs or grips so it's not really easy to get a figure to hold them, so they just will have to sit on a shelf (which is how I forgot about them for the photo shoot)

FsRmZoi.jpg

Undead Scottsman on
    Whoops, forgot about the cubes. Here they are with Earthrise Optimus for size comparison. They're cool looking, but don't have any pegs or grips so it's not really easy to get a figure to hold them, so they just will have to sit on a shelf (which is how I forgot about them for the photo shoot)

FsRmZoi.jpg

Oh good! There were reports of people missing pieces so I worried. I love how one has a wavy line like it is half filled.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Working on my third smart doll build, and I finally found something that needed screws. I'm guessing this a newer mold, because it didn't require as much trimming of unnecessary parts as the others, but also it had some parts that need to be screwed in from the outside. Unfortunately it will require some of the longer screws (maybe even the 14mm?), which haven't been delivered yet, so I'm stuck half-way through a build. That said, I can now officially build one of these in under an hour, making me capable of being hired at Smart Doll if I ever wanted to be.

I built all six of the dolls! That was a lot of fun. Since you all liked the last photo so much, here is another of four of the dolls (the shelf here isn't big enough for all six)
    ja79pxky9nxr.jpg

They have no soul!

• DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    So, looks like pre-orders opened up (at some stores, at least - I don't see one at BBTS, for example) for the new Masterpiece Starscream. $275.

I put in a no-money-down pre-order at The Chosen Prime just in case, and now I'm going to have a long sit-down with myself and have a conversation about whether I need or even want something like that.

I built all six of the dolls! That was a lot of fun. Since you all liked the last photo so much, here is another of four of the dolls (the shelf here isn't big enough for all six)
    ja79pxky9nxr.jpg
    They have no soul!

Sure they do, they're doing the Macarena!
    Delduwath wrote: »
    So, looks like pre-orders opened up (at some stores, at least - I don't see one at BBTS, for example) for the new Masterpiece Starscream. $275.

I put in a no-money-down pre-order at The Chosen Prime just in case, and now I'm going to have a long sit-down with myself and have a conversation about whether I need or even want something like that.

I did the same, without the thinking part. It makes me wonder if they get theirs from TF Source since they both used the same photos and one fan version.

oosik_betsuni.png
    I think a lot of stores just use whatever photos are available. It's possible that TCP uses TFSource as a distributor, I'm just saying this isn't necessarily definitive proof. ToyDojo's got the same photos up, too.

edited October 2020
    Whoops, had a couple of stragglers show up. Wave 2 Earthrise figures.

2uH9YXo.jpg
    Alt-Modes
    OZWv2eG.jpg
    TFmvsPQ.jpg
    F1uDD7p.jpg
    DI7iNgq.jpg

First up is Deluxe class Airwave, twin of Hot House. He fits better as a G1 reinterpretation than Hot House did. I still like the super stocky robot look, but again, there's no real changes, he just super similar to Hot House. Kinda disappointing. Even Greasepit had new accessories. I messed with Hot House's robot mode a tiny bit to give him some slight differentation. Airwave's battlestation mode is evocative of G1, but cramming Overair in there took some doing and still doesn't look right. The Modulators are just so much smaller than the G1 bases. Airwave does make a great highway though. Again, its' weird his missiles are painted black when they're bright orange on the original toy and are casted in orange plastic here. Guess they wanted a black control tower.

Here's all the modulators together in a mini-outpost.
    c6t5bKD.jpg

Next up is Voyager class Quintesson Judge
    9NCtJkH.jpg
    Alt-Mode
    PlwoIYD.jpg
    QGxZQpB.jpg

Yeah, finally a real live G1 Quintesson. He looks super great in "robot mode." Exactly everything you'd want (the head rotate switch is hard to manipulate without running afoul of other parts of the figure, but you can manually rotate the faces so no biggie). Looks like he stepped right out of the movie. I especially like his hovering effect piece and throne. He comes with the little gun/welder he had in Return of Optimus Prime and you can store it beneath his chair. His "alt-mode" kinda sucks, though his little cage is cool. (I just wish the peg holes were on the bottom and not the top, as the cage opens up in a neat way that leaves the bottom in tact instead of slipping it in half, but you can't nail it down anywhere so the cage is always loose in this mode)

I had to attach two of the faces after getting him out of hte package. I had heard nightmare stories about people trying for hours to do it, but I think I figured out a trick for it in a couple minutes (You have to go in at an angle to hook part of the connector under the other connector, and then it all just pops on.) Or maybe I just got lucky.

But the real reason I got him was to use him as an office buddy. :)
    3l0LTDi.jpg

Undead Scottsman on
    I got some blue tac delivered yesterday so I was able to set in the eyes that I have. I gave them wigs as well, so they're a little less soulless, but still on the blank side since they don't have any facial features or makeup painted in.
    4vtmnmkazono.jpg

I think the white doll looks the weirdest, the other two you can't necessarily tell that they don't have eyebrows, for example. That silver wig is one I've been waiting literal years to find the right doll to use it on. I think it looks gorgeous against cocoa skin, so if I end up liking how I paint one of the cocoa heads enough to keep it then I'll use it with that wig.

I was really hoping to start painting one of the heads yesterday, but I ran out of matte sealing spray that gives the heads enough "tooth" to be painted out. This stuff. So I ordered more and will be waiting on that before I can really start.

Yep, eyes make them look better. I like the silver hair on the cocoa as well. Something just makes it work, maybe the eyes?

oosik_betsuni.png
    They look great. Women shouldn't feel like they need makeup!

edited October 2020
    They look great. Women shouldn't feel like they need makeup!

Well they need eyebrows at least. They don't need makeup necessarily but most mammals come with a certain amount of hair, so for a mammaloid robot if I don't paint that on they look like they've just been standing a little too close to a bonfire.

Cambiata on
    I still don't have a job but uh, I should buy this Sir Archibald figure, right?

SJH4WdP.jpg

https://youtooz.com/products/prozd

• Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    I was tempted many times by it. I love ProZD and wanna support him. 30 bucks for a vinyl is a little steep for me, but I've done worse.

Fuck it I'm getting one too

I was tempted many times by it. I love ProZD and wanna support him. 30 bucks for a vinyl is a little steep for me, but I've done worse.

Fuck it I'm getting one too

Yeah, I preordered. Prozd is rad, and Sir Archibald is rad.

I have no idea who that is, but it looks like me if I had black rimmed glasses, mustache and oh yeah, thinner.

oosik_betsuni.png
    I have no idea who that is, but it looks like me if I had black rimmed glasses, mustache and oh yeah, thinner.

Sir Archibald:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2VEkRCgNQ0

Sir Archibald:

Wow... That's like looking at a very much younger me. Yeah, I'm... damn, I missed my opportunity to make millions!

oosik_betsuni.png

Sir Archibald:

Wow... That's like looking at a very much younger me. Yeah, I'm... damn, I missed my opportunity to make millions!

Well, ProZD's main deal is being a very good voice actor, as well as a great comedian. He does voice work professionally, then does video game and anime spoofs on his Youtube channel. Sir Archibald is one of the cast of characters he uses for spoofing Japanese video games of every variety (not just Gacha games are are spoofed here).

If you're into voice acting, it's never too late, you could start now!

Sir Archibald:

Well, ProZD's main deal is being a very good voice actor, as well as a great comedian. He does voice work professionally, then does video game and anime spoofs on his Youtube channel. Sir Archibald is one of the cast of characters he uses for spoofing Japanese video games of every variety (not just Gacha games are are spoofed here).

If you're into voice acting, it's never too late, you could start now!

Ahhh, then nope I have no chance. :D I'm as far from a voice actor as one possibly could be.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Hahahaha those are great! Now I know why you both pre-ordered that figure. Thanks for sharing the humor!

oosik_betsuni.png
    You can go to his YouTube channel and click any of the skit videos - absolutely any single one, there's a playlist here but I don't know if it's exhaustive - and get pure gold.

I don't know why, but this one really cracks me up (warning: use of the f-word) (is that word even offensive anymore in Hell Year 2020?):
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulteZYyWAA8