As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Listen to a [podcast] on the commute from your couch to your kitchen

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    jn9btexc0xon.jpg

Are these bands? They sound made up

Wait I think I heard of sum 41 that one might be real

Tallahasseeriel on
  • PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    In my prime drinking days, there was a Denny's within stumbling distance of my flophouse

I have eaten literally every Denny's band integration dish

I don't get good radio reception under this rock

• SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    Never said it impacted anybody's enjoyment

But jumping in to people collectively enjoying a harmless thing to talk shit about it is somewhere between "rude," "weird," and "actively antisocial."

It's very strange that this needs to be explained!

I guess I don't agree at all. A piece of media is posted and some enjoy it while others do not. I'm not sure I understand why one side of that equation can post about it while the other cannot.

If people were saying one side of the argument were idiots or something for enjoying it I'd be right there with you but that isn't happening. I just don't "get it". I'm not making a value judgement on anybody that does like it.

You CAN post whatever, man.

Just like you COULD be at a party, see people dancing when a song comes on, and explain to everybody how that song is stupid and they're wasting their time dancing. You COULD do that.

But I don't think one should be surprised when they come off as a bit of an asshole.

That is not at all what is going on here.
    But good on you for calling people names for not liking what you like I guess? Consider not being so hostile to people that have differing opinions to you on things as basic as music.

I am legitimately trying to explain to you how it is rude to come into a positive experience that people are sharing in an astonishingly terrible year and try to take a shit on it

It is not "hostile," and I deliberately avoided name-calling. I just don't know how better to explain, "It's fucking weird to barge into positivity and try to center your negativity"

I am glad you like the thing.
    Other's do not like the thing and have posted their reasons why they don't like the thing.

You do not need to make it anything more than that. This is a discussion board where we discuss things like video games, TV shows, and music. Sometimes people like these things and agree. Sometimes they do not. That is the nature of discussion and discourse.

Problems arise when people start to make insults/generalizations of a person's character based on their opinion on a subjective piece of media. Only one person in this discussion is doing that and that person is you.

I'm done having this particular conversation with you. Please continue enjoying the music. Please do not be offended if somebody does not share that same opinion and chooses to discuss it on this forum created for discussion.

get off the fucking cross

Wait until you hear that I feel the same way about U2.

you arent funny, cool, or smart

You seem like a nice person.

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    There are a lot of different tones of conversation that a forum can support

Sometimes that is people sitting around the parlor and having a nice critical discussion of things that they like and don't like about a piece of media, maybe disagreeing on some points and getting into a bit of an argument

Other times that is someone running up to their friends and excitedly telling them that the new album by the band they like is out and passing the headphones around so that everyone can hear and get collectively excited about what's going on

Approaching one as if it is the other is a bit of a faux pas

• ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    In my prime drinking days, there was a Denny's within stumbling distance of my flophouse

whats your favorite

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Who is coming up with a list of bands they want to partner with and goes, "Hey we've already got Sum 41, Good Charlotte, and Gym Class Heroes, you know what we really need to round this one out? Rascal Flatts."

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Look, sometimes you just have to do a thing so Rascal Flatts will stop calling you.

GDdCWMm.jpg

whats your favorite

The Rascal Flatts Unstoppable Breakfast, probably. Hooburrito was a close second.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, the Katy Perry Hot N Cold Cherry Chocolate Cappuccino was disgustingly, cloyingly sweet and the Taking Back Sunday quesadilla thing had fucking American cheese in it for some goddamn reason

• Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    you know, I've never quite been able to articulate what listening to Taking Back Sunday feels like, and I have to say "like a quesadilla with American cheese" is pretty right on

6F32U1X.png
  • captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular

whats your favorite

The Rascal Flatts Unstoppable Breakfast, probably. Hooburrito was a close second.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, the Katy Perry Hot N Cold Cherry Chocolate Cappuccino was disgustingly, cloyingly sweet and the Taking Back Sunday quesadilla thing had fucking American cheese in it for some goddamn reason

These are sentences no one has ever written before or will ever write again. I feel like I'm on Earth 2.

captaink wrote: »

whats your favorite

These are sentences no one has ever written before or will ever write again. I feel like I'm on Earth 2.

I have almost certainly written them before, and will almost certainly write them again

The world may forget the Denny's Late Night Rock Star Menu, but not me. Not me.

• captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    captaink wrote: »

whats your favorite

I have almost certainly written them before, and will almost certainly write them again

The world may forget the Denny's Late Night Rock Star Menu, but not me. Not me.

The people do need to know

• JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
  • NarbusNarbus Registered User regular
    The Hooburrito: It’s a burrito with “crispy” (read: fried) chicken strips, fried onion straws, and barbecue sauce. As well as pepper jack cheese and cheese sauce in the burrito–and more cheese sauce on the side. There’s also a side of ranch.

Oh man just reading that gave me heartburn

I want a Sumwich and a Hooburrito.

Wanna just wreck my shitty body with weird band related foods.

What would rammstein have as a meal at a late night chain restaurant?

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »

Sometimes that is people sitting around the parlor and having a nice critical discussion of things that they like and don't like about a piece of media, maybe disagreeing on some points and getting into a bit of an argument

Other times that is someone running up to their friends and excitedly telling them that the new album by the band they like is out and passing the headphones around so that everyone can hear and get collectively excited about what's going on

Having been guilty of this in the past myself, yeah.

A bunch of people enjoying a new thing together aren't going to be particularly happy if someone else walks in and says "nuh-uh, that thing fucking SUCKS", that's just how people work.

Wait I got it

Ramenstein

Its ramen but instead of pork I guess maybe its like boiled shoe leather or the stock is made out of motor oil

• Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
  • TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    hey remember when there was a band named hoobastank and we as a society inexplicably decided that that was an acceptable name for a band to have

what the fuck happened

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Things are pretty bad, I find

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Except for Thing T. Thing, who is good

What kind of music does this... "hoobastank" play?

• TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »

alternative rock

• rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular

They’re early 2000s radio butt rock

A bunch of people enjoying a new thing together aren't going to be particularly happy if someone else walks in and says "nuh-uh, that thing fucking SUCKS", that's just how people work.

Absolutely. I get that but it's not really what happened.
    Some people stated that this wasn't for them or to their taste but also expressed that they were glad people were enjoying it.
    The guy is obviously a talented artist that knows how to mix music in some interesting and compelling ways. It's just not compelling to me personally - even while I recognize the guy's skill and talent. In no way should my completely subjective opinion impact your opinion or enjoyment of the music.

I used to follow Phish around on tour. I am well versed in liking music that others find to be categorically unlistenable. It's not the kind of thing worth slinging insults over.

I'm gonna start a Hoobastank ska cover band called Skubatank

I was hoping they'd be a band of jizz wailers like figrin d'an and the modal nodes.

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

Only sadness. Hopefully they will one day return, as they have previously.

• ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    Juggernut wrote: »
    I'm gonna start a Hoobastank ska cover band called Skubatank

I'll never be able to find a clip of it online ever, but strangely enough on Carson Daly's late night show he had them on as guests one time and mentioned how he liked their old ska sound more. The band members all looked baffled by this accusation. I used to watch that show a lot, and their bewilderment as he confused them with some other random band is the only thing I remember. Besides some really good beatboxer one time.

uyvfOQy.png
  • HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Good ol Fingerin' Dan

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
    The butt rockiest song I can bring to mind easily is kryptonite by three doors down

I actually kinda like that song though. It's fun.

Some people stated that this wasn't for them or to their taste but also expressed that they were glad people were enjoying it.
    The guy is obviously a talented artist that knows how to mix music in some interesting and compelling ways. It's just not compelling to me personally - even while I recognize the guy's skill and talent. In no way should my completely subjective opinion impact your opinion or enjoyment of the music.

I used to follow Phish around on tour. I am well versed in liking music that others find to be categorically unlistenable. It's not the kind of thing worth slinging insults over.

Your perception of events and your read on the room are both incorrect.

This is not an attack or an insult, by the by. I am assuming you are posting in good faith and have misread some things. But it may be time to move on, as you have previously stated you would.

The butt rockiest song I can bring to mind easily is kryptonite by three doors down

The most butt-rock song ever?

My vote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYE4CVhVkhw

Your perception of events and your read on the room are both incorrect.

This is not an attack or an insult, by the by. I am assuming you are posting in good faith and have misread some things. But it may be time to move on, as you have previously stated you would.

Again, I don't agree with you.
    I've not altered my stance at all. I'm very glad people enjoy that album and the rest of his works.
    It is not my thing personally. I only responded to you specifically because your responses seemed pretty rude considering the subjectivity of the topic - including calling me an asshole.

I'm glad you have a new bit of music to enjoy. I suggest letting bygones be bygones because I doubt we'll come to a consensus on this particular piece of art. I'll refrain from posting any negative opinions about the album going forward though.

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    Let's just move on.

• ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    3 Doors Down made some real fuckin 7/10 commercial rock and when I was in high school I thought they were the fucking shit

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular

The most butt-rock song ever?

My vote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYE4CVhVkhw

see here's the problem with the word "butt-rock"

this isn't what I'd call "butt-rock" at all

This discussion has been closed.