As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[BATTLETECH/MechWarrior] Sea Fox merchants buy PGI lostech using Terra-based shell company

• OpposingFarceOpposingFarce Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    I wouldn't say any of the DLC was necessarily worth the $20 that was asked based on the merits of their contents alone, but at that price they are.

Also for reasons already thoroughly explained the vanilla game's balance is FUBAR'd. There's no saving it (without pretty radical overhaul), so mercy-killing it by fully snapping it over their knee with Heavy Metal (and non-expansion balance changes that coincided with it) was actually pretty fine with me.

This is back on pg 25, but I still stand by these mod recommendations for someone who doesn't want a full overhaul mod but kind of wants to play adjacent-if-not-fully-within vanilla Battletech's balance and rules. Very Vanilla+.
    If any of you are bummed out on the difficulty curve of vanilla Battletech, then I have two three mod recommendations:

This one is a must have:
    Bigger Drops
    • This mod allows you to drop with more than four mechs. Don't freak out! It doesn't let you do this from the beginning! You have to upgrade/refurbish parts of the Argo to actually utilize a full lance.
    • The way it works is that you have to upgrade the Leopard's tonnage capability to drop more weight AND the Argo's command and control capability. If you just upgrade tonnage you can drop more mechs, but your extra mechs will be AI controlled (which is terrible, but that's not the mod's fault).
    • While you can tweak the mod, the maximum drop tonnage goes from 400 to around 660. You're not dropping two full assault lances. But this opens up a lot of possibilities to use different late-game lance setups than just four assault mechs.
    • You could, actually, take four assault mechs and a bunch of mediums. Or six assault mechs and a scout. Or two lances of heavy mechs (650-660 tons lets you take eight 75ton mechs with some spare tonnage leftover to upgrade one to a light assault).
    • The most important thing is that this finally frees you from having to play the min-max game. Sure, there are streamers and such who beat the game with just lights and AC2s. But Battletech has a solved meta, and the game definitely balanced around that meta. Tactics 9 is, by-and-large, absolutely necessary when the game pits three assault lances versus your one.
    • This mod changed Battletech completely for me. I was now using my lighter mechs into late game. I was, - gasp - actually using mechs that weren't maxed armor or maxed out for headshot damage. They were vanilla loadouts!!! Some of the most fun I've ever had with Battletech has been dropping with two 90% vanilla mixed heavy lances versus regular OpFor because it became a real slug fest. I was rotating mechs at the front and using mechs in role-appropriate ways. I was playing with more pilot archtypes.
    • I would not say this significantly increases mission time. Some overhaul mods are really fatiguing with how long individual battles take. Remember this is still vanilla balance, so it moves at a decent pace. Adding four mechs doesn't actually double your turns, I find.
    • I don't think it makes the early to mid game much easier because with more mechs it'll take longer to optimize each of them, plus you have to upgrade the argo. Obviously, though, once you're raking in the losttech and you make two full lances ubermechs then its OP, but at least now its OP without forcing you to use headshots, so that's a plus, right?

All I'm saying is think about it. Consider vanilla balance. Vanilla guides you to creating four ubermechs and pasting the competition's cockpit as the ultimate play style. What if you could bring just one more lance? Or just two more mechs? This mod is liberating. It let me enjoy vanilla mechs. I took a vanilla awesome 8Q into combat the other day and I wasn't gimping my drop loadout! What a time to be alive.

I enjoyed this mod but it's not as necessary for me:
    Mission Control
    • This mod makes it so that there's a percent change that an allied lance will spawn on each mission or extra enemy lances will spawn.
    • Don't worry, you can link the two events, so if an extra enemy lance is spawned it will force an allied lance to spawn, so its not unfair. The opposite is also true, where if you get a bonus ally the enemy gets a bonus lance. Note that as of a couple versions ago I think you have the tweak the mod in notepad to enable this feature but I highly recommend it.
    • These lances can include vehicles. If your allied lance is vehicles and it's not LRM carriers I'm sorry, because their pathfinding and movement values are so atrocious they will never help.
    • When you drop allied lances will talk to you with some canned dialog. It's a nice piece of flair.
    • I like this mod a lot because it makes me feel like I'm actually fighting alongside a faction. They actually have some skin in the game.
    • This mod can extend the average battle time, but not to the point where it bothered me. Mileage may vary.
    • This mod pairs well with bigger drops because it can give you more enemies to fight.
    • This mod can absolutely bust the economy, because there are more mechs to kill. Could be offset if you increase parts for salvage.
    • If an extra enemy lance is killed you get some bonus C-bills at the end. It's not a lot of C-bills, but it's something. It doesn't bust the economy but still shows the employer acknowledges you killing more than intel expected.
    • This mod is highly customizable and it is easy to do so. You can guarantee extra enemy or allied drops, change lance size, and their veterancy. Among other things.

This mod is a ton of fun. It's more for folks who have played a lot of Battletech and wan't a new end-game goal to justify stompy mech action:
    Galaxy At War
    • This mod lets you help houses take over planets. Yep. That's right. You could paint the periphery [insert color of your faction].
    • The way it works is that houses will select planets close to or at borders of planets they own (so no suddenly jumping three planets deep into enemy territory) and begin a 'Deployment'. As the player, you will be offered a travel contract to this deployment planet. Note, however, that if you commit to a deployment the system will be locked down for 30 days or until the planet is won (and if you don't tweak the mod settings it'll likely take more than 30 days)
    • You have to be liked at least a bit before you're allowed to tag on military campaigns. So while from the beginning of the game you'll see these hotspots you may not be allowed to participate if you just started.
    • So what do you do for 30 days? You run missions - and not necessarily when you want to. As its a military campaign, no one gets to be very choosy when they fight. After your first mission you can have anywhere from 1 to 7-10(?) or so days until the next mission (you can adjust this). This represents the next military action you must support. Thankfully, it does give you a choice between 2 to 3 missions, so you have some leeway if a particular mission type pisses you off. Note that each consecutive mission gives bonus c-bills (not a ton, but still), so there is an incentive after the initial 30 days are up and your technically free to travel where you want again.
    • The missions are just regular vanilla missions, just chained together under the guise of a military campaign.
    • Each mission raises or lowers the resources of the attacking and defending factions. When the differential between the two resources becomes significant enough the planet flips owners.
    • So in one playthrough I supported Marik and took over the Liao headquarters planet for their internal security or whatever, because it borders Marik space. What was cool is that once it changed hands it became a Marik faction store, because think it's a Liao faction store if you're allied with them.
    • This mod is great for adding structure to late-game playthrough if you're kind of unsure what to do. When paired with bigger drops it lets you use your whole stable of mechs (because sometimes you don't have time for repairs) and when paired with Mission Control it makes you feel like you're actually fighting alongside a faction.
    • This mod is also highly customizable. I recommend you try vanilla settings for one planet takeover. I found it took a little too long, so I tweaked it so that more annoying missions like convoy ones gave more resources and such.

This has been my vanilla battletech mod showcase ted talk.

Thank you.

OpposingFarce on
  • BullheadBullhead Registered User regular
    Iolo wrote: »
    If you have the base game, the best way to get the DLC right now is to pick up a Steam key for the Season Pass over at WinGameStore for $24.99. (I think this works internationally, but verify for your region before committing.)

EDIT: It could be that cheap on Steam as well? I can't see the price since I own the DLC.

https://store.steampowered.com/bundle/12661/BATTLETECH_Season_Pass_Bundle/

$24.87 right now on steam.

$9.99 for the base game.

$30.59 for Mercenary collection (base game + season pass + digital deluxe).

96058.png?1619393207
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Personally, I think they all have something to recommend them. The flashpoint missions in each DLC are more (small) story missions than were in the main campaign, probably somewhere around 50-60 missions across all 3 DLCs.

Holy crap I figured there'd be like, 10 at most.

I thought I was mostly done with this game just had to do a career mode and clean up a few flashpoints!

I was wrong.

Time to move this baby back onto my SSD I guess.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • SaldonasSaldonas See you space cowboy...Registered User regular
    I just bought a Jaegermech JM7-D whole and took it out immediately before reworking it a bit. I nearly redlined on my first alpha but it was glorious! Double UAC/5s, double ER L Lasers, and double M Pulses! Gotta probably drop a couple weapons to put more armor and double heatsinks on this baby but so worth the 18 million.

Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/carthuun
    Switch: SW-1493-0062-4053
  • BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Man, all this talk about awesome mechs... So jealous. I tried my luck on a 4 skull missing playing lance mates to a politician. The game warned me that taking 3 mediums and a light was too light so I swapped my Catapult for my Firestarter.

I swing wide of where a ping was. Came up on a Assassin, Griffin and Vulcan. Took out the Assassin and pushed the Griffin over... And a Grasshopper lumbers into view. Vulcan was next to go down and I focus fired on the Griffin taking it out. Almost took out the Grasshopper when the second lance drops. Griffin, Trebuchet, Crab and Assassin. Sadly my PC goes down with a lucky headshot from the Grasshopper, the VIP almost dies and my other medium is getting pounded by the second lance.

So yep, not ready for a 4 skull.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    Personally, I think they all have something to recommend them. The flashpoint missions in each DLC are more (small) story missions than were in the main campaign, probably somewhere around 50-60 missions across all 3 DLCs.

I thought I was mostly done with this game just had to do a career mode and clean up a few flashpoints!

I was wrong.

As a note, due to the branching choices in flashpoints, there are some number of those individual missions you will not see on a single playthrough. And there are 5 high-level flashpoints only available after you choose to become Allied with each of the 5 Great Houses, that due to the reputation interaction, it may actually be quicker to do those split across two different playthroughs rather than trying to rebuild rep with each faction, but certainly not a requirement to do so.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    Nips wrote: »
    Also, it makes for the greatly amusing mental image of ammo feeds working through both sides of the hips, up through every torso section, through a shoulder joint to its eventual location of use.

Battletech!

I keep imagining what a ‘Mech with ammo in the legs must sound like when walking.

I’ve got spurs that jingle jangle jingle~~~

5gsowHm.png
  • cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Syngyne wrote: »
    Nips wrote: »
    Also, it makes for the greatly amusing mental image of ammo feeds working through both sides of the hips, up through every torso section, through a shoulder joint to its eventual location of use.

Battletech!

I keep imagining what a ‘Mech with ammo in the legs must sound like when walking.

I’ve got spurs that jingle jangle jingle~~~
    If you're down by the legs your hear that song, and if you go up to the AC/20 you hear Big Iron.

• MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited September 2020

I was wrong.

As a note, due to the branching choices in flashpoints, there are some number of those individual missions you will not see on a single playthrough. And there are 5 high-level flashpoints only available after you choose to become Allied with each of the 5 Great Houses, that due to the reputation interaction, it may actually be quicker to do those split across two different playthroughs rather than trying to rebuild rep with each faction, but certainly not a requirement to do so.

What the.

Oh well I guess I'll just play a career and see what I can get.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    Nooooo i got too cute trying to salvage full assault mechs and lady arano died to a core punch.

Not an iron man run so i just have to play the mission again but the shaaaaame :(

sig.gif
  • WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    Back when this game first came out, my computer wasn't quite up to the task of handling this game, so it fell by the wayside. Now I got a better one, so I'm ready to dive back in.

I remember getting paralysed by all the 'mech customization possibilities, especial the armour-to-weapons ratio.

• Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Back when this game first came out, my computer wasn't quite up to the task of handling this game, so it fell by the wayside. Now I got a better one, so I'm ready to dive back in.

I remember getting paralysed by all the 'mech customization possibilities, especial the armour-to-weapons ratio.

Per earlier in the thread, this game is poorly optimized. There's a good chance it will burn up your machine at max utilization for no discernable performance improvement. You may want to watch your temps and if they go too high you may want to enforce a framerate/clock speed limit.

• PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    Wotan you can just message me any time you have even a trivial question about this game and what you should do

I accept PMs at all hours

sig.gif
  • IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    @WotanAnubis, welcome back!

I put together a (super wordy) guide for first times/new comers. Part 1 is here and Part 2 is here. Part 2 has a sample walthrough of rebuilding a Blackjack if you want to see one approach for rebuilding. Look under "MECHBAY & SAMPLE REBUILD" if interested.

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    MWO:

So Comp queue is back, decided to join a team for it, and they made me one of their light pilots (!)

We went 3-2 so far (2-1 with matches I was in for).

Nobody wrote: »
    MWO:

So Comp queue is back, decided to join a team for it, and they made me one of their light pilots (!)

We went 3-2 so far (2-1 with matches I was in for).

I think I might come back to MWO. How is the solo queues these days?

oosik_betsuni.png
    Solo queue right now is...a mixed bag.

PSR reset + groups in solo queue have made it somewhat frustrating. Ultimately, there are a lot more matches that feel like you don't have an impact because of groups. Good groups playing to win mean you get carried. Bad groups mean you're probably going to lose because they decided to meme in Black Lanners.

There's no tonnage balancing anymore either. It's very common to have one side running several hundred tons less than the other. Sometimes you can overcome it.

On the other hand, if you fall down to Tiers 4 or 5, apparently there are some interesting matches there.

Solo queue right now is...a mixed bag.

PSR reset + groups in solo queue have made it somewhat frustrating. Ultimately, there are a lot more matches that feel like you don't have an impact because of groups. Good groups playing to win mean you get carried. Bad groups mean you're probably going to lose because they decided to meme in Black Lanners.

There's no tonnage balancing anymore either. It's very common to have one side running several hundred tons less than the other. Sometimes you can overcome it.

On the other hand, if you fall down to Tiers 4 or 5, apparently there are some interesting matches there.

Nice. So basically run Urbies for the ranking matches and hope I end up in T4/5 for fun matches.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Basically, though depending on if the other team loses the team lottery you might still advance.

Basically, though depending on if the other team loses the team lottery you might still advance.

Ahhh, gotcha. Good to know, thanks!

oosik_betsuni.png
    The good news is if you have a bad match score you can still go down. You may need to sandbag harder though.

The good news is if you have a bad match score you can still go down. You may need to sandbag harder though.

Stock Urbie sandbag enough? As much as I'd love to do that, I just couldn't in good conscious do that to a team. Now if it was Oosik Night, sure!

oosik_betsuni.png
    Possibly, you’ll get caught in Nascars easily enough and even panic firing probably won’t be enough damage.

On further MWO news, Russ Bullock mentioned on twitter that there is going to be some kind of announcement related to MWO on Monday at noon (PDT)

• ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    On further MWO news, Russ Bullock mentioned on twitter that there is going to be some kind of announcement related to MWO on Monday at noon (PDT)

If I could wish for anything, it'd be dedicated server tools where we can set up our own rules and mech restrictions.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular

Taking the bet that MWO goes into full "Maintenance Mode", with no to little new features or balance passes planned going forward.

Not like...that...wasn't...already the case.

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no

Russ: Betsuni is thinking of coming back? Crap, let's turn off the servers.

oosik_betsuni.png
    The statement was something to do with community initiatives so who knows?

MWO: Team is, as of last night, 9-6 and on track to be top 10.

@Heffling I think I saw you in a faction match last night (Boreal) with Nightbird. Did your team end up having a bunch of cadets? We had some later games where at least one lance was full cadet, if not more.

• HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I'm in BCMC which is allied with EVIL, the unit Nightbird is in. I started playing again a few weeks ago.

I've been seeing a TON of random cadets in faction play lately. Anywhere from 2-4 per match. And that's just on my team. Typically we're 4-8 persons in our groups.

Heffling wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm in BCMC which is allied with EVIL, the unit Nightbird is in. I started playing again a few weeks ago.

I've been seeing a TON of random cadets in faction play lately. Anywhere from 2-4 per match. And that's just on my team. Typically we're 4-8 persons in our groups.

Gotcha, I’m in U4L.

Last night we had a match after that where it felt like half the opfor was cadets, and at least one person without a cadet tag was running stock IS mechs.

In case you were wondering what the announcement was, it’s that Bombadil is now employed full time as the communication liaison between PGI and the community.

https://mwomercs.com/news/2020/10/2448-looking-to-future-mechwarrior

In case you were wondering what the announcement was, it’s that Bombadil is now employed full time as the communication liaison between PGI and the community.

Well that was at least not the worst announcement they could have done. I don't see why they needed to make an announcement for the announcement on something as low key as this.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Betsuni wrote: »

Well that was at least not the worst announcement they could have done. I don't see why they needed to make an announcement for the announcement on something as low key as this.

It seems like PGI still haven't put any points into the "Read the room" skill tree yet...

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular

Because they have nothing else worth announcing?

5gsowHm.png
    Erlkönig wrote: »

It seems like PGI still haven't put any points into the "Read the room" skill tree yet...

Well they did but then they put points in the "ignore feedback" skill tree which cancels it out.
    Syngyne wrote: »

Because they have nothing else worth announcing?

Good point. Oh wait, they'll continue to announce MW5 announcements like usual.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    MW5 is their money maker. Likely now more than ever, with their total lack of support for MWO this year AND that MW5 is on Gamepass for PC.

MW5 is their money maker. Likely now more than ever, with their total lack of support for MWO this year AND that MW5 is on Gamepass for PC.

I still need to fire up MWO one of these days. I miss running my Piranha, Fleas and Locusts in that game.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular

I still need to fire up MWO one of these days. I miss running my Piranha, Fleas and Locusts in that game.

Lowkey kinda miss my Vapor Eagle. I'd just gotten it, and it was pretty fun.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
    edited October 2020
    There's a major push in the community to try to help PGI figure out how to monetize MWO going forward, as the concept of buying mech packs is all but dead for various reasons (no more rule of 3, majority of packs have only 1(sometimes 2) good variant(s), older players already have all the mechs, etc).

And, of course, things PGI can do to help with the new player experience as well as drawing old players back. MWO Leagues is hosting a stream sometime today to discuss what can/should be done.

Nobody on