As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

There is a [Conspiracy Thread] here, and I will seek it out!

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    I am legitimately worried about what QAnoners might do if Trump actually dies from COVID.

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited October 2020
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    I am legitimately worried about what QAnoners might do if Trump actually dies from COVID.

They won't believe it, that's for sure.

He will simultaneously have been taken out by all of the boogeymen AND also still be alive, saving the world from Hillary with his cyborg powers.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    Since COVID is fake, he isn't dead. He must be going off the grid in order to do something that inexplicably the President cannot do in public or have others do secretly in his stead.

It's going to mean violent, stochastic action, most likely.

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    Less likely they'll Elvis him than believe he was assassinated by the deep state, or another Clinton hit, and their reaction to that should be truly terrifying.

• Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    I think those are pretty much the only two options if he dies: he faked his death or he was assassinated. Either will read as a sign to them that they need to ramp up their bullshit to levels as of yet unseen, since both indicate their enemy is far stronger than they gave them credit for and thus must be opposed that much harder.

• Options
    Hevach wrote: »
    Less likely they'll Elvis him than believe he was assassinated by the deep state, or another Clinton hit, and their reaction to that should be truly terrifying.

They think JFK Jr is secretly alive, so I think it's actually much more likely that they will believe he's alive and like, gotten Face/Off or something than he was defeated by the Clinton Kill Team that has somehow outwitted his hyper-competent network that has been arresting, assassinating, and replacing with body doubles/clones Hollywood celebrities and Democrats by the truckload.

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Hevach wrote: »

They think JFK Jr is secretly alive, so I think it's actually much more likely that they will believe he's alive and like, gotten Face/Off or something than he was defeated by the Clinton Kill Team that has somehow outwitted his hyper-competent network that has been arresting, assassinating, and replacing with body doubles/clones Hollywood celebrities and Democrats by the truckload.

I think JFK got around enough there's probably a bunch of JFK Jr's that haven't been discovered

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    Okay so I don't remember which dead Kennedy exactly. Doesn't matter.

• Options

I wasn't questioning your Kennedy I was insinuating illegitimate Kennedy children scattered across the country

• Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    I feel like if they had clones wouldn’t the entire government just be clones by now. Like how do they know trump isn’t a clone?

Also ffs adults believing in clones

• Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    Surely the clones are innocent in all of this.

• Options
    I mean clones do exist, but they'd tweens at best.

• Options
    Edith_Bagot-DixEdith_Bagot-Dix Registered User regular
    Incenjucar wrote: »

So they'd need some sort of dedicated educational facility? At, like, the secondary school level?

Also on Steam and PSN: twobadcats
  • Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular

So they'd need some sort of dedicated educational facility? At, like, the secondary school level?

What, that's ridiculous. You'd need some kind of Secret Board of Shadowy Figures to set it up.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular

yeah, built way way back in the 1980s.

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Prohass wrote: »
    I feel like if they had clones wouldn’t the entire government just be clones by now. Like how do they know trump isn’t a clone?

Also ffs adults believing in clones

Sounds like something a clone would say 🤔

• Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    All my social media feeds are full of normally-sensible liberals coming up with conspiracies along the lines of Trump faking Covid to get out of a second debate. This is just plain dumb. A) Why would he fake something that makes him look like an idiot? B) How is he persuading half the Republican inner circle to fake Covid to support his story?

• Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    All my social media feeds are full of normally-sensible liberals coming up with conspiracies along the lines of Trump faking Covid to get out of a second debate. This is just plain dumb. A) Why would he fake something that makes him look like an idiot? B) How is he persuading half the Republican inner circle to fake Covid to support his story?

I don't think Trump is faking it.

I do think that if Trump was faking it, and wanted to make it extra beliavable, and was smart enought to consider it (and I don't believe any of these conditionals), he would be able to get the rest of the GOP bigwigs to go along.

I mean, none of them have dared stand up to him before. Why would they start now?

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    Trump's White House leaks like a sieve. So, no, I don't think a bunch of Republican bigwigs, some random staffers, and some press could all be persuaded to fake being sick to help the President avoid a debate that he could avoid by simply saying "I'm not going to another debate run by the FAKE NEWS MEDIA!"

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular

I wasn't questioning your Kennedy I was insinuating illegitimate Kennedy children scattered across the country

They’re all just rowing boats around going nowhere in particular

• Options
    knight11eknight11e Registered User regular
    Something something Neosapiens

• Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    I don't blame people for at least considering that Trump is lying about his diagnosis, because at this point the default expectation is that whenever he speaks, he is lying. It was one of the first things that popped into my head, that he was lying to get out of future debates. I literally expect everything he says to be a lie at this point.

That said, it seems pretty clear (especially now that more information has come out) that in this case the diagnosis is not a lie. Too much other evidence has surfaced, and enough negatives have been pointed out, that it seems extremely unlikely that he doesn't have it.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Trump lying about his contracting COVID is a common conspiracy theory recently, but the real quality stuff is throwing your lot in with the thirteenth chapter of the Book of Revelations, if you consider Trump the beast!:
    And one of his heads seemed to have a deadly wound. But his death stroke was healed; and the whole earth went after the beast in amazement and admiration.

He's gonna bounce back stronger than ever, and the world will marvel and follow him!
    Nevermind the fact that the Book of Revelations has pretty much been established as revenge fanfic on the Roman Empire - It's quality conspiracy stuff!

TetraNitroCubane on
  • Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    I can understand believing he was lying when the news first broke, but it became clear it wasn't going to swing towards some sort of macho strongman thing like "and I'm perfectly fine, look at me golfing" pretty early, so believing past that point is nonsensical. It's like the whole 4D chess thing: he's not some sort of mastermind, he just Mr. Magoos his way through life while everyone around him do their best to make sure the doddering old fool who has somehow walked onto an I-beam being lifted by a crane in an active construction site doesn't walk off it midair, even if they need to offer their body as a bridge.

• Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular

I think I'm more worried about Trump weaponizing them if he lives, and loses the election.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Trump lying about his contracting COVID is a common conspiracy theory recently, but the real quality stuff is throwing your lot in with the thirteenth chapter of the Book of Revelations, if you consider Trump the beast!:
    And one of his heads seemed to have a deadly wound. But his death stroke was healed; and the whole earth went after the beast in amazement and admiration.

He's gonna bounce back stronger than ever, and the world will marvel and follow him!
    Nevermind the fact that the Book of Revelations has pretty much been established as revenge fanfic on the Roman Empire - It's quality conspiracy stuff!

Whaaaat?

Like, on reflection that makes sense, but whaaaat?

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    Can I start a conspiracy theory? Trump has covid, cam newton, qb of trump supporter robert kraft . Kraft went to a massage parlor, followed by Trump, and kraft gave it to both Trump and cam.

That's my theory sticking by it.

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »

Whaaaat?

Like, on reflection that makes sense, but whaaaat?

What about that surprises you?

• Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    august wrote: »

I think I'm more worried about Trump weaponizing them if he lives, and loses the election.

The more I think about it the less likely I find it that QAnon supporters, writ large, will do anything. Maybe some particularly suicide-ready groups who were always going to go all militia-y and just needed an excuse for suicide by cop but not the Facebook hordes.

If Biden wins the election their crackpot conspiracy quilt will just add some new threads and adjust some old ones. Now Biden will be a secret clone of Reagan who was installed by Trump to carry on his work in office while Trump coordinates The Storm from his secret lair on the Moon and all the Dem congress people who appear to be supporting Biden's administration are actually horrified because Biden is secretly a Republican and they're just getting arrested and replaced by clones left and right.

QAnon, like every conspiracy theory, isn't about actually doing things. It's about feeling like you're in control because you know the real truth hidden from all the sheeple. And, in their particular case, feeling like their side is winning because all of the apparent incompetence, chaos, and failure is a clever ruse to hide all the Important Work that's being done against the satanic child cannibals on Mars.

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options
    Conspiracy theories like QAnon haven't been mainstreamed like this before, at least not without being manufactured by a government entity in the first place.

• Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    Conspiracy theories like QAnon haven't been mainstreamed like this before, at least not without being manufactured by a government entity in the first place.

I don't know that that's the case. It's just fairly irregular for a widespread conspiracy theory to involve an expectation that a specific person is going to do a specific thing in the near future. There are plenty of 9/11 truthers out there and lots of religious folks buy into ideas about The Liberals doing all kinds of awful shit. It's just always been sort of background noise because none of it involved a belief that there was some secret resistance movement who would be declaring victory Any Day Now.

There were links in this thread a long while back to articles about how doomsday cults' beliefs are paradoxically strengthened when their predicted dates of apocalypse come and go with nothing happening. I think the same is going to end up happening for most of the QAnon faithful. Trump will leave office one way or another and they'll come up with some complex topology of belief to explain why this really means they were right all along.

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options
    There are politicians at the state and federal level knowingly feeding into the Q theories, media sources are as well, and at least one avowed true believer is on the ballot for this year.

• Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    There are politicians at the state and federal level knowingly feeding into the Q theories, media sources are as well, and at least one avowed true believer is on the ballot for this year.

I keep telling myself I need to start a fringe right wing conspiracy theory slanted youtube channel just to make some money. You think Alex jones is crazy, let me snort some coke, drink redvull and fireball all day, and I'll show you some conspiracy theories. You think the waters making the frogs gay? Bees are stinging people with the gay virus developed by both russia and china.

RickRude on
  • Options
    Are conspiracies getting crazier just to keep ahead of how crazy reality is getting?

• Options
    edited October 2020
    Are conspiracies getting crazier just to keep ahead of how crazy reality is getting?

Nah, they've been crazy for all of human history. They're basically a form of mythology.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular

Nah, they've been crazy for all of human history. They're basically a form of mythology.

This is the first one I've heard of that tries to justify that someone who appears blatantly corrupt and incompetent is secretly a good, effective person who is on your side. Most cults of personality at least try to cover up what the leader is actually doing, rather that just letting it sit in the open and claiming that it somehow doesn't matter.

At least, this is the first one that I've heard of that isn't just flat out a religion.

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    It's a surprisingly standard cult of personality like many successful dictators depend on. In a lot of cases, the difference between a short lived dictator eventually overthrown by his own subordinates and one who has a long reign and heirs to that reign is something like Q among followers and the public promising chaos when they're overthrown.

When it's the Turkmenistan dictator importing penguins for his ice palace in the desert and the people who believe he is the half-divine offspring of an angel and a human all live in a country you can't pick out on a map it's a funny story on a slow news day. When it's your own president and the guy down the street is waiting for the kill command to come down it's... Not nearly as funny anymore.

Hevach on
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    It's all really standard stuff. Basically Homer and the roast pig: "It's still good!"

Books, TV, movies, selective social circles, and just not thinking about human culture and especially religion with a critical eye has left people thinking that human society is mostly rational, and it's really mostly not.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular

Facebook is banning QAnon, for real this time. Maybe this time it will stick?