As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Gloomhaven] A small, quick party game

• Options
    FryFry Registered User regular
    Help, I just spent 375 gold upgrading my level 2 card for my Angry Face

(spoilers for Angry Face level 2, obv)
    P7hzB8Jl.png

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Fry wrote: »

(spoilers for Angry Face level 2, obv)
    P7hzB8Jl.png

I am 2 missions from finishing the retirement on my now Level 9, Gloom-defeating Lightning Bolts.

I think by the time I get there the cash-in value of all my stuff couldn't afford that card.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Options
    Auralynx wrote: »

I am 2 missions from finishing the retirement on my now Level 9, Gloom-defeating Lightning Bolts.

I think by the time I get there the cash-in value of all my stuff couldn't afford that card.

The alternative I was considering for that gold was purchasing a second upgrade on my level 9 card :0

We just finished the last unlocked scenario from the base game, so RAW our only options now are replaying scenarios we've already won, random dungeons, or moving on to the expansion. I only managed to retire one character over the course of the campaign, Angry Face is my second. And I am kinda sick of this character's gameplay. Think I will ask the group to fudge my retirement condition, so I can move on.

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Auralynx wrote: »

The alternative I was considering for that gold was purchasing a second upgrade on my level 9 card :0

We just finished the last unlocked scenario from the base game, so RAW our only options now are replaying scenarios we've already won, random dungeons, or moving on to the expansion. I only managed to retire one character over the course of the campaign, Angry Face is my second. And I am kinda sick of this character's gameplay. Think I will ask the group to fudge my retirement condition, so I can move on.

Good lord. Which did you draw?

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Options
    My personal quests were:
    First character was three Forest scenarios. That took a big chunk of the campaign, due to the path we took.

Second character was two Swamp scenarios. There aren't very many of those in the box, we had already completed a couple, and some others were locked closed due to campaign decisions. Theoretically I could eventually finish this one, if we unlock the correct side scenarios from city/road events or if we drew the correct random side scenario as a reward for something, it just didn't happen.

• Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    My personal quests were:
    First character was three Forest scenarios. That took a big chunk of the campaign, due to the path we took.

Second character was two Swamp scenarios. There aren't very many of those in the box, we had already completed a couple, and some others were locked closed due to campaign decisions. Theoretically I could eventually finish this one, if we unlock the correct side scenarios from city/road events or if we drew the correct random side scenario as a reward for something, it just didn't happen.

I was the first to retire in my group with that second one only because I got super lucky and we unlocked the correct random scenario in like the 2nd session.

• Options
    antheremantherem Registered User regular
    IIRC we ended up counting
    cleared scenarios
    for those because drawing those late was nonsense otherwise.

• Options
    edited September 2020
    Conceptually, I like the idea of those quests, but in practice, if you get that quest early you're kind of hosed, and if you get it late you're hosed. And if you get it in the middle, you could also be hosed.

Hopefully the PQs are better in Frosthaven. I'd be ok if all of them were super generic things like "win any six scenarios", "kill any 30 enemies", "earn 12 check marks", etc followed by a 1-2 scenario chain to finish.

Fry on
  • Options
    jakobaggerjakobagger LO THY DREAD EMPIRE CHAOS IS RESTORED Registered User regular
    You can replay old scenarios, the requirement is just that they're new to the character doing the particular personal quest. Conversely, whatever happened before that character joined the party doesn't count for completion.

I guess having to replay a thing could be annoying, although I don't mind much myself. We've done a fair number of replays because me and the other most active player in our kind of drop-in, drop-out group didn't want to skip too far ahead in the storyline on the days the other guys didn't turn up.

Would hardly describe it as being hosed, though.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    We finished the main thing you'd consider the main thing that let's you start forgotten circles if you want. Was definitely a pushover, heh, or at least it was a dps check and we had that down.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    We finished the main thing you'd consider the main thing that let's you start forgotten circles if you want. Was definitely a pushover, heh, or at least it was a dps check and we had that down.

I was annoyed that we got a couple things explaining that scenario, after we had already done that scenario.

• Options
    Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    So I've been playing games via tabletop simulator with friends every Friday night; came across a scenario, unlocked from a personal quest I really wasn't happy with.

Spoilers to which class and quest
    to open Squidface; quest 52

Spoilers about quest itself
    so the quest has you start in 4 spots and you are completely separated from one another and can't interact with each other. You have to get to a treasure chest at the end of a corridor to loot it. You finish the scenario once all chests are looted.

I hated this; if we knew this in advance, we could have all done it in preparation of the next part of the quest line. A complete waste of an evening of playing together

It also wasn't that hard

PSN Fleety2009
  • Options
    Redcoat-13 wrote: »
    So I've been playing games via tabletop simulator with friends every Friday night; came across a scenario, unlocked from a personal quest I really wasn't happy with.

so the quest has you start in 4 spots and you are completely separated from one another and can't interact with each other. You have to get to a treasure chest at the end of a corridor to loot it. You finish the scenario once all chests are looted.

I hated this; if we knew this in advance, we could have all done it in preparation of the next part of the quest line. A complete waste of an evening of playing together

It also wasn't that hard

For this scenario, one of our members had literally just unlocked and created a musical notes. He was so angry.

• Options

It also wasn't that hard

For this scenario, one of our members had literally just unlocked and created a musical notes. He was so angry.

That entire quest chain is some questionable crap but that scenario might be the most egregious of them.

The other way to unlock Squidface is a pain to achieve (esp in 1E) but at least you actually unlock it without having to run the gauntlet.

• Options
    edited October 2020
    Vyolynce wrote: »

It also wasn't that hard

That entire quest chain is some questionable crap but that scenario might be the most egregious of them.

The other way to unlock Squidface is a pain to achieve (esp in 1E) but at least you actually unlock it without having to run the gauntlet.

It's a very weird chain, being simultaneously one of the most creative bits of work by a guest author and totally insane by comparison with the rest of Gloomhaven. We actually finished the end of it (#54) this week, finally retiring my Lightning Bolts and our 3-Spears guy out of it, and let me tell you, those who can click this spoiler,
    Having to basically solo 3 Harrowers at mission level 5 with a melee character is no damn joke. It is also real boring for everyone else.

Auralynx on
    kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Options
    Total Town Records completion spoiler.
    We finished the town records. I really wish they'd had us get to the next to last step of the town records before being able to face the Gloom. Wouldn't have required anything other than having that scenario only be unlocked after getting next to last in the TR. Was good story though. Now to finish cleaning up side quests, unlock the last two classes we haven't, and roll into Forgotten Circles!

Forgotten Circles question: Do the Forgotten Circles quests take place in the main map at all? We have a number of retirement goals that require doing things in certain places on the main map, for example, and I'm curious whether the FC content might still work for that sometimes.

• Options
    Did scenario 61 tonight. Actually a pretty cool design! Not a great one to be doing over Zoom, though.

Two of my party members retired, so they've now double-lapped me on that :/

• Options
    edited October 2020
    Total Town Records completion spoiler.
    We finished the town records. I really wish they'd had us get to the next to last step of the town records before being able to face the Gloom. Wouldn't have required anything other than having that scenario only be unlocked after getting next to last in the TR. Was good story though. Now to finish cleaning up side quests, unlock the last two classes we haven't, and roll into Forgotten Circles!

Forgotten Circles question: Do the Forgotten Circles quests take place in the main map at all? We have a number of retirement goals that require doing things in certain places on the main map, for example, and I'm curious whether the FC content might still work for that sometimes.

I looked this up online - answer is, some do, some don't. I didn't exhaustively check, but it looks like there's about one FC scenario per region, if that's what you're wondering.

Fry on
  • Options
    So we're on Jaws of the Lion the last couple weeks and I have to say it looks like most of the lessons worth learning from the original box were in fact learned.

Red Guard is pretty rad.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    So a recent Frosthaven backer update said that there’d be some sizable (?) Gloomhaven news On the 20th. Not sure if anyone else saw that.

• Options
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    So a recent Frosthaven backer update said that there’d be some sizable (?) Gloomhaven news On the 20th. Not sure if anyone else saw that.

I went looking all over and haven't seen anything. Was there an announcement anywhere?

• Options
    Cobalt60Cobalt60 regular Registered User regular
    Gloomhaven novel series

• Options
    Bleh. I'm going through the rules for Forgotten Circles since we'll be starting that soon, and I remembered that I don't think we got five Ancient Technology to unlock Envelope A. Was there anything interesting in there?

• Options
    Did scenario 62 last night. Nearly a rare loss for our crew; two characters were beaten to a pulp, the other two had maybe three turns left between them when the objective was completed. Just a very punishing scenario. Not a good matchup for our team of Angry Face, Two Minis, Lots of Circles, and Just Two Circles.

• Options
    We did scenario 95 the other weekend. Make up is Brute (9 almost 10), Cragheart (9), Spellweaver (8) and Squidface (3, he just retired the previous character). We have put the difficulty of the missions up one, but I said after to my friends that we probably need to look at what the mission has.

First off, it's a guest mission, and what a lot of people like to do for guest missions, is (creature and mission spoilers)
    Use Flame Demons. Jeez so many missions now against these unfun chumps.

The mission also has lurkers. So lots of shield and retaliate damage. I can't imagine it was tremendous fun for the new Squidface character sitting on 8 health, to get put up against things that could hit him for 5 ranged retaliate damage.

And there's also a room full of water where if you finish on a water space, you take 1+L damage. Again this would have almost killed him

I'm not tremendously impressed by these guest missions.

Anyway, My Brute is almost at the level cap. I'm exactly 50% of the way through my personal quest which is
    help 2 players complete their personal quests

and all have said they are really going to miss the amount of damage I soak up. I know my next class is going to be anything but a tank.

PSN Fleety2009
  • Options
    I like the guest missions but they're exactly what you might expect, always very different design from what was done by the core design team. It's almost like you should check whether something is a guest mission and assume it's one difficulty higher because it's going to require different gameplay.

• Options
    I think 9 is the level cap? I don't think there's a level 10.

• Options
    We did scenario
    I think 9 is the level cap? I don't think there's a level 10.

Sorry, yes, subtract 1 from Brute, Cragheart and Spellweaver. The Squidface is level 3 though. My brute is about 16 short of the cap, so regardless of the mission, he'll hit it.

PSN Fleety2009
  • Options
    We did scenario 95 the other weekend. Make up is Brute (9 almost 10), Cragheart (9), Spellweaver (8) and Squidface (3, he just retired the previous character). We have put the difficulty of the missions up one, but I said after to my friends that we probably need to look at what the mission has.

First off, it's a guest mission, and what a lot of people like to do for guest missions, is (creature and mission spoilers)

The mission also has lurkers. So lots of shield and retaliate damage. I can't imagine it was tremendous fun for the new Squidface character sitting on 8 health, to get put up against things that could hit him for 5 ranged retaliate damage.

And there's also a room full of water where if you finish on a water space, you take 1+L damage. Again this would have almost killed him

Anyway, My Brute is almost at the level cap. I'm exactly 50% of the way through my personal quest which is

and all have said they are really going to miss the amount of damage I soak up. I know my next class is going to be anything but a tank.

I can easily see how a bunch of individual guest designers might have all independently decided
    ooh, flame demons, those are nasty let's put those in
    and then oops everybody did it.

• Options
    antherem wrote: »

I can easily see how a bunch of individual guest designers might have all independently decided
    ooh, flame demons, those are nasty let's put those in
    and then oops everybody did it.

Eh. I'd rather face those things than Oozes. They're super fragile once you get past their shields, although flying does make it harder to walk them into traps and such.

• Options
    LeumasWhiteLeumasWhite New ZealandRegistered User regular
    I have to appreciate how my group is tackling the game in the most back-asswards way possible; finished the base campaign, now moving onto Jaws of the Lion, and then most likely sliding the Jaws characters into Forgotten Circles.

QPPHj1J.jpg
  • Options
    What did you folks do once you got into really high prosperity? So far we haven't had the appetite to start at a lower level than what's allowed. The alternative is to up the difficulty which we might do. We still have all of forgotten circles to do and a ton of side content in base but we're starting to feel pretty maxed on power.

• Options
    We've been playing at difficulty +1 for a little while, and it's made the game better.

I started my Diviner at level 1, since I'm going to be playing her for the entirety of Forgotten Circles, and I want to have room for progression. Rather than just starting at level 7 :X

• Options
    LeumasWhiteLeumasWhite New ZealandRegistered User regular
    By the end of the base game we were playing at +2, and it was still pretty fine. We generally started new characters a couple levels behind where everyone else was, so that they could still contribute.

QPPHj1J.jpg
  • Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    Anyone also try the Steam version? My friends and I are really itching to try this out via Steam, but I'm not familiar enough with the game play to say if we should wait for the campaign next year before starting it or can the game without the campaign also be fun?

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    Trajan45 wrote: »
    Anyone also try the Steam version? My friends and I are really itching to try this out via Steam, but I'm not familiar enough with the game play to say if we should wait for the campaign next year before starting it or can the game without the campaign also be fun?

The steam version won't spoil the campaign at all. It follows the rules extremely well but it's doing its own thing mission-wise (for now). So should be fine to try out and will give a good sense of if you like the game loop.

• Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    Am I correct in assuming we'd just pick characters, run the game loop for a bit then when the campaign is released next year we could just start over with new characters? Is the game fun enough for multiple play throughs? My main concern is over playing it before the campaign comes out haha.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    Cobalt60Cobalt60 regular Registered User regular
    It's not really a campaign per se, there is a collection of light story arcs for pairs of mercenaries, but guildmaster mode is essentially randomly generated scenarios.

When the campaign is released you'll start all new characters in that game mode as it should be a 1:1 recreation of the board game with character retirements, etc. the guildmaster mode doesn't have retirements and you'll just gain experience until they reach level 9 so eventually you'll get a complete roster of level 9 characters.

It's a very good way to learn higher level abilities of characters you might have retired in the board game or never seen played. Also very good at teaching the rules that you might have been getting wrong while playing the board game version.

• Options
    If they ever release the solo scenarios for the video game that would solve a use case problem of mine.

• Options
    Finally got around to starting Forgotten Circles. It was brutal, the likes of which we haven't seen since Scenario 2.

About three quarters of the way through, I had an epiphany about how I should have played at the beginning of the scenario. Oh well :X Hopefully the thing I figured out will be relevant in some future scenarios.