As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WH40K] Battle Forge is here

• NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    Quantum shielding got changed.

Notice I said not nerfed.

It’s not a 5++ invuln and you ignore all unmodified 1,2 and 3 rolls to wound.

Different than before, but still very, very strong.

• Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    On the other hand, Monoliths got a kick in the teeth, being moved to the LoW slot.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    Norgoth wrote: »
    Quantum shielding got changed.

Notice I said not nerfed.

It’s not a 5++ invuln and you ignore all unmodified 1,2 and 3 rolls to wound.

Different than before, but still very, very strong.

And a stratagem can lower it to a 4++. For reasons only around having a laugh, I prefer the old version, but this isn't a bad thing....especially as everything it's on has T6 anyways.

Space Marine and Necron stuff is now 100% out now that the video reviews are showing up.

C'tan are batshit insane now and the Nightbringer....

The Nightbringer seems really good.

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Ok I went looking for the necron dice on ebay and no one has them did they sell that quick or are they a GW only item?

• MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Read through goonhammer on the Space Marines this morning and though it sounds like a much more balanced but good codex I am not feeling it with my Deathwatch. Also it seems the Deathwatch codex still exists till the supplement as a supplement kind of. So a huge FAQ dump come next Saturday as well.

I mean it sounds like Deathwatch are being turned into just normal marines with a trait being SIA and built in LTs. Which doesn't matter as much as you have LTs now! Though it works on non-core units. I am going to just have to wait and see now. Might just sell my Deathwatch if it continues like this. Ad Mech and CSM are way more interesting to play for me.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    Khraul wrote: »
    -LEGION OF THE DAMNED mentioned, which is a real teaser

Be still, my beating heart.

I got a little disenfranchised with GW finecast after digging a giant pink chunk of mould release out of a damned legionnaire's ass a while back, so only one of my two squads are actually painted. I need to paint my sisters, so I should throw them in when I basecoat.

• LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    lol so the new Tactical Deployment rulebook? It doesn’t actually contain any terrain datasheets in it. You have to get them from Battlezone releases.

What a fuckin ripoff.

• KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Huh points on Multi Meltas, heavy bolters and power swords seem to be the same -- good news for my sisters
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Read through goonhammer on the Space Marines this morning and though it sounds like a much more balanced but good codex I am not feeling it with my Deathwatch. Also it seems the Deathwatch codex still exists till the supplement as a supplement kind of. So a huge FAQ dump come next Saturday as well.

I mean it sounds like Deathwatch are being turned into just normal marines with a trait being SIA and built in LTs. Which doesn't matter as much as you have LTs now! Though it works on non-core units. I am going to just have to wait and see now. Might just sell my Deathwatch if it continues like this. Ad Mech and CSM are way more interesting to play for me.

Deathwatch are getting a supplement soon, aren't they? I would have to imagine the rules for making more Deathwatchy-type new primaris kill teams and all the special rules will be in there

KetBra on
    KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    It actually looks like weapons cost different values for different units again, which is a change I welcome.

• StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    lol so the new Tactical Deployment rulebook? It doesn’t actually contain any terrain datasheets in it. You have to get them from Battlezone releases.

What a fuckin ripoff.

Fuck, wish I had seen this before I bought it. That is a huge bummer.
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    On the other hand, Monoliths got a kick in the teeth, being moved to the LoW slot.

Maybe, with different weapon loadouts and no idea what their rules are yet they might be pretty good now.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
    Stragint wrote: »

Maybe, with different weapon loadouts and no idea what their rules are yet they might be pretty good now.

It’s 360pts w/26 T8 wounds, no inv. save, and Living Metal as it’s only protection. 380pts if you want the mini death ray option. Also, 3CP for the detachment to take it in. Yeah, it’s admittedly bizarrely good in close combat now, and has some nice guns but you can get guns just as good without spending those CP. You basically have to build your list around it if you want to take it at all.

• KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Finding out the Bike Chap can take a keyword to make him a wolf priest has me strongly considering building and painting the Indomitus bikes I've left sitting in the box.

Wasn't super interested before, but Biker wolf priest support makes them feel a lot more interesting.

Also super chuffed to see that it looks like Erads and Bladeguard can be run in squads of 6. I've been needing to keep my Captain near my Wulfen just so he has some protection, but 6 bladeguard are going to make for one hell of a bodyguard. Or better 5 + Cap in a transport.

Going to be seeing some reworks to my crusade list when the Codex releases.

Khraul on
    Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
    edited October 2020
    Crossposting a question from the painting thread.

Anyone have experience with shoulder icons from shapeways or specifically from popgoesthemonkey? Looking for space wolf stuff that doesn't involve spending stupid money on forge world transfers or cutting apart huge chunks of indomitus models to add SW shoulders from sprues.

Khraul on
    Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular

Anyone have experience with shoulder icons from shapeways or specifically from popgoesthemonkey? Looking for space wolf stuff that doesn't involve spending stupid money on forge world transfers or cutting apart huge chunks of indomitus models to add SW shoulders from sprues.

Friend did Raven Guard shoulder emblems from shapeways. Quality was perfectly good but getting them in place and not having glue fill in the spaces was a challenge. He's newer to all this than you though.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
    Finding out the Bike Chap can take a keyword to make him a wolf priest has me strongly considering building and painting the Indomitus bikes I've left sitting in the box.

Wasn't super interested before, but Biker wolf priest support makes them feel a lot more interesting.

Also super chuffed to see that it looks like Erads and Bladeguard can be run in squads of 6. I've been needing to keep my Captain near my Wulfen just so he has some protection, but 6 bladeguard are going to make for one hell of a bodyguard. Or better 5 + Cap in a transport.

Are they removing the Wolf Priest on bike from legends?

What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

edited October 2020
    I'm tripleposting… we're doing it.

Friend did Raven Guard shoulder emblems from shapeways. Quality was perfectly good but getting them in place and not having glue fill in the spaces was a challenge. He's newer to all this than you though.

Nice... it's hard to tell how the physical product will look when all they have on the site is renders. Now I just need to decide if I want stock wolf icons or some of the other jazzy ones like the thirteenth or the Red Moons.

Not really. It just seems that they're consolidating a lot of datasheets across all the codex compliant chapters AND the non-compliant chapters. So technically it's not a Wolf priest on bike datasheet.... it's a Codex "Chaplain on bike" datasheet that is able to take the Ravenwing or Wolf Guard Keyword depending on the army it's included in, but it's the same stock datasheet as smurfs or white scars.

Khraul on
    Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6

It’s 360pts w/26 T8 wounds, no inv. save, and Living Metal as it’s only protection. 380pts if you want the mini death ray option. Also, 3CP for the detachment to take it in. Yeah, it’s admittedly bizarrely good in close combat now, and has some nice guns but you can get guns just as good without spending those CP. You basically have to build your list around it if you want to take it at all.

Honestly, outside of troll 3 monoliths moving 6” pregame (Jesus who wrote that? Uh fucking thanks that’s the auto take trait then) then moving directly to the middle and blocking everything, you’re much better off just spending those points on a nightbringer.

Incidentally lists that are walls of warriors backed up by multiple C’Tan will happen.

• italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular

I bought some of their weapons and redemptor conversion bits but haven’t used them yet. They’re exactly what was on the page though.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。

Nice... it's hard to tell how the physical product will look when all they have on the site is renders. Now I just need to decide if I want stock wolf icons or some of the other jazzy ones like the thirteenth or the Red Moons.

Not really. It just seems that they're consolidating a lot of datasheets across all the codex compliant chapters AND the non-compliant chapters. So technically it's not a Wolf priest on bike datasheet.... it's a Codex "Chaplain on bike" datasheet that is able to take the Ravenwing or Wolf Guard Keyword depending on the army it's included in, but it's the same stock datasheet as smurfs or white scars.

Oh, so then Wolf Priest on a bike would still be legends. That is a bummer.

I bought some of their weapons and redemptor conversion bits but haven’t used them yet. They’re exactly what was on the page though.
    @italianranma

Ok, that's good to know. I was looking at a couple of their redemptory dread conversions.

Do the redemptor conversions glue onto a fully assembled redemptor or replace parts during the build?

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    To be honest I have a terrible, terrible backlog and haven’t built one yet. I’m working on a project right now that’s taking up my desk space, but when I finish I’ll bring out the molds and snap some pictures.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
    To be honest I have a terrible, terrible backlog and haven’t built one yet. I’m working on a project right now that’s taking up my desk space, but when I finish I’ll bring out the molds and snap some pictures.

That'd be awesome, thank you.

If they clip to the front of the existing model I'll buy one in a heartbeat. If they replace parts then I'd have to look at stripping apart a painted model which I'm not sure I'm game to do.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6

Oh, so then Wolf Priest on a bike would still be legends. That is a bummer.

Yeah the bike chaplain in the new book is Primaris; the regular guy on the old style bike is done. For no good reason other than “we don’t want to continue selling hybrid kits.”

• GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    When GW nerfs things like Aggressors and Repulsor Executioners in to the ground, while releasing something like Eradicators, it really adds fuel to the fire that sales gets involved with rules making. Gotta get people to buy the new Eradicator and Gladiator models. At least my Executioners look good on a shelf I suppose.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
    Eradicators look like they've gotten more absurd with the new Codex which is impressive. They could literally have the double shoot ability removed entirely and it'd just about put them on par with other special/heavy weapon units offensively.

• honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    How have they gotten better? Just in comparison to nerfed stuff or did they get a rules adjustment?

honovere wrote: »
    How have they gotten better? Just in comparison to nerfed stuff or did they get a rules adjustment?

New weapons options. Every member of a unit can have a rifle that deals D6+4 damage in melta range, one in three can have a multi-melta (which has obviously been buffed to be Heavy 2 and also benefits from the Eradicator's double-shoot ability).

• TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    When GW nerfs things like Aggressors and Repulsor Executioners in to the ground, while releasing something like Eradicators, it really adds fuel to the fire that sales gets involved with rules making. Gotta get people to buy the new Eradicator and Gladiator models. At least my Executioners look good on a shelf I suppose.

What, people didn't notice when the Primaris range was made exclusively to phase out the old Space Marine models?

edited October 2020
    The heavy melta option, with double shoot, is basically auto take right now for any sort of shooty space marine army. They removed double shot from nearly everything but kept it on Eradicators with better weapon options. How the rules team decided to nerf the nearly 400 point Replulsor Executioner in to shelf status, while thinking the Eradicators were fine and balanced, is just beyond me.

Oh and you can take six in a unit now just like other Gravis models...prepare to see a lot of 3 x 6 squads of them as they are good at everything. They kill vehicles good, they kill 2+ W models good with double shoot and with six in a unit they become meaty stratagem fodder for things like Transhuman.

Here's some visual evidence to how overtuned they are: https://imgur.com/ehDeuzf

GnomeTank on
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
    TryCatcher wrote: »

What, people didn't notice when the Primaris range was made exclusively to phase out the old Space Marine models?

It's been a wink and a nod thing for years, that GW overtunes new models for sales. I'm not sure I remember a time when it was so blatantly tone def by them. Do I believe they really do it? Probably not, I think it's more "new model = new cool" and they get ahead of themselves....but the optics of some of the nerfs in the new codex juxtaposed with the Eradicators is side eye worthy.

• [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    edited October 2020

It's been a wink and a nod thing for years, that GW overtunes new models for sales. I'm not sure I remember a time when it was so blatantly tone def by them. Do I believe they really do it? Probably not, I think it's more "new model = new cool" and they get ahead of themselves....but the optics of some of the nerfs in the new codex juxtaposed with the Eradicators is side eye worthy.

Sometimes they release a cool new kit with ass rules, though. I think your perception might be a little colored by confirmation bias.

[Expletive deleted] on
    Sic transit gloria mundi.

Sometimes they release a cool new kit with ass rules, though. I think your perception might be a little colored by confirmation bias.

It's not that they try and make new models better than the rest. It's that making new models by necessity means they need to different so often they end up too good by accident. I squad of all melta dudes sound awsome, so you give them some rules to make them different to devestators and then whoops.

It so very often goes the other way. Reanimators, royal wardens, gladiators (They're very overpriced!) demon engines, howling banshee rework, these are all recent examples.

I still feel sad about Banshees. Their new models are so beautiful and there's just absolutely no reason to run them (or Jain).

• LanlaornLanlaorn Registered User regular
    They're just bad at writing rules and frequently release new units that are either too strong or to weak, and you just don't remember the ones that are too weak because you never see them on the table, no one ever talks about them, etc.

This also explains the "cycle" of coming out overpowered and then being made useless just in time for the new model to be sold. They're bat at writing rules and so they overcorrect when they address an imbalance. Just as Reivers were a cool new Primaris kit that was released and continues to e useless by accident, Wraithknights are still paying for the sins of 7th edition by accident, not grand design.

Never attribute to malice what can be explained by incompetence, basically.

• Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    I want to say that 8th edition was laying the foundation, and that GW got better as time went on in terms of making an army feel very flavourful with some of the rules they were going to release.

The Sisters book is a prime example of this, and the Necron book looks like this as well.

I'm sure once the various factions get their book for 9th, it'll be a lot more flavourful, but yes, as things stand, there's a lot of bland (for want of a better word) in the various Eldar factions.

PSN Fleety2009
  • SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    A friend and I have been wanting to do a narrative campaign for a while, and the new crusade rules are just the excuse to do it. I have chosen Imperium, and he has chosen Necrons. I figure since it's just the two of us so far that we don't have to use our crusade armies against each other every week, to prevent getting burned out (his crusade army might fight my Orks one game, my crusade army might fight his GSC the next game, then his Necrons might fight my Marines the one after that, etc).

I've been trying to think of narrative reasons for Marines, Sisters, a handful of Deathwatch, and an Inquisitor with his retinue might be tackling a Necron threat (without just apeing the 9th ed lore). I want my Inquisitor to play a central role, while also giving my friend's Necron characters a chance to shine. Should be interesting.

I'm thinking 6 crusade army vs crusade army games, this way even if we only get one such game a month it won't take too long to reach a conclusion. After that, I think it would be fun to do a 7th game that was basically diet apocalypse sized.

I think it'll be fun. If anything, it might give me the kick in the ass I need to get back on track with building and painting.

Burnage wrote: »
    I still feel sad about Banshees. Their new models are so beautiful and there's just absolutely no reason to run them (or Jain).

I mean they are quietly getting a buff with the marine book because they already confirmed their power swords are now +1 strength on top of the -3 ap.

So str 4 banshees isn't terrible. They are still insanely fast.

u7stthr17eud.png

I mean they are quietly getting a buff with the marine book because they already confirmed their power swords are now +1 strength on top of the -3 ap.

+1 strength helps, but it doesn't make up for so many of their targets gaining an additional wound with the new Marine book. They still only have two attacks each.

+1 strength helps, but it doesn't make up for so many of their targets gaining an additional wound with the new Marine book. They still only have two attacks each.

I think the issue with banshees their best targets aren't marines though that is their fluff target. Their best targets are squishy objective holders that aren't nurglings. But guard, scions, ad mech infantry, and orks. They are okay verse mini-marines but not amazing.

u7stthr17eud.png
    Been watching this.
    https://youtu.be/3yrkVmdCvWk

And off building a marine army is going to be a chore. Each weapon has different points based on what you put it on. Very old school

GW WHERE IS MY DAMN LIST BUILDER!

u7stthr17eud.png