As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Updates on [SARS2/covid-19] (reboot)

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Hope Hicks, a close Trump aide, has tested positive

Lol

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    Good.

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    I would hope Biden is being tested?

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    KetBra wrote: »
    I would hope Biden is being tested?

I’m sure he’ll think he’s wrapped around on the age counter, what with how much something is going to be jammed up his nose in the weeks to come.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    Honestly, I can't believe it took him this long to finally catch it. And naturally, when he eventually recovers, he'll use it as a means to further his shitty "it's all a hoax" stance.

Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    Considering he lies constantly, I automatically snap to the assumption that this is bullshit and he's just using it to dodge the next debate, as well as claim he's the strongest for getting through the virus no problem.

Like if Trump says the sky is blue I'd have to go and double check before I agreed.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    Tonight, @FLOTUS and I tested positive for COVID-19. We will begin our quarantine and recovery process immediately. We will get through this TOGETHER!

thoughts and prayers.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Joe and Jill Biden have reportedly tested negative.

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    We will see how this goes.

• Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    I am unsure why you would give a president a experimental combo drug if he was only having mild symptoms, but...

Memo from the presidents doctor, tweeter is managing editor at politico

• Options
    Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    Like, this isn't Twitter.

that seems real drastic for a cough and a fever.

PSN: Canadian_llama
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    Have we actually seen any footage of Trump being sick? I'm still betting on this being a fake to get out of debates and then probably sell some drug he claims cures covid to give him a boost in the polls

• Options
    I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular
    Have we actually seen any footage of Trump being sick? I'm still betting on this being a fake to get out of debates and then probably sell some drug he claims cures covid to give him a boost in the polls

This White House can't take a piss without somebody leaking to the press that they didn't wash their hands. The Gang That Couldn't Ratfuck straight ain't keeping a secret this big for any amount of time.

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Given that word from the whitehouse is a sense of dread and that the campaign "ended this morning," I really don't think the "this is fake" angle seems real to me.

• Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular

Beyond descriptions of looking slightly under the weather, which could just look like "tired," I doubt we'll see anything - he probably went straight to the residence after getting to the White House and will probably be out of sight there for the next couple of weeks.

The fact that half the bignames around him have all come down sick in the last 48 hours suggests it's the real thing though.

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    I am unsure why you would give a president a experimental combo drug if he was only having mild symptoms, but...

I don't know the cocktail. The melatonin is probably why he isn't tweeting dude is wiped out. About out of the whole thing the only thing I know that works is vitamin D because it seems to have some sort of relationship.

Melania sounds like normal symptoms. The headache is probably benign but also its Covid so it can be a headache, fever, or blood clots. Though probably just a headache.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Burtletoy wrote: »

I don't know the cocktail. The melatonin is probably why he isn't tweeting dude is wiped out. About out of the whole thing the only thing I know that works is vitamin D because it seems to have some sort of relationship.

Melania sounds like normal symptoms. The headache is probably benign but also its Covid so it can be a headache, fever, or blood clots. Though probably just a headache.

I always confuse melatonin with melanin, and I had a weird image go through my brain.

Trump as C. Thomas Howell in Soul Man. And how his white supremacist buddies would react.

• Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    Enc wrote: »
    Given that word from the whitehouse is a sense of dread and that the campaign "ended this morning," I really don't think the "this is fake" angle seems real to me.

What word?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular

What word?

CNN's feed has sources talking about it, scroll down to about 11am

• Options
    evilmrhenryevilmrhenry Registered User regular

What word?

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2020/10/pandemonium-inside-white-house-as-trump-contracts-covid-19
    “It’s as if the campaign ended yesterday,” says a former West Wing official.
    Basically, they're saying that Trump can't campaign for the next couple weeks at a minimum, which is a very bad thing for the campaign.

• Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    Trump is now being transferred to Walter Reed Medical Center.

Feels like this is progressing faster than I would have expected.

Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Big Dookie wrote: »

He's a narcissist and almost definitely panicked when he started getting sick.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Hope Hicks, a close Trump aide, has tested positive

Lol
    Its been a big 24 hours so I guess I should update my thoughts on all this

lmao

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    Big Dookie wrote: »

It seems pretty clear that Trump has known he's been infected for longer than this. Looking at his complex dodge of pre-testing for the debate, and the people around him being infected, it seems likely Trump is a super spreaders eventually bu himself.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    Knuckle DraggerKnuckle Dragger Explosive Ovine Disposal Registered User regular
    Best October Surprise ever!

Let not any one pacify his conscience by the delusion that he can do no harm if he takes no part, and forms no opinion.

- John Stuart Mill
  • Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    Chris Christie has tested positive too, multiple outlets are now reporting.

He was one of the people helping out with Trump's debate prep.

• Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    There is a certain level of schadenfreude as the corona virus spreads through the upper echelons of the republican party...

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    edited October 2020
    edit: not an update.

Orca on
  • Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    Let's talk some updates, like state positivity rates.
    STATE PERCENTAGE OF POSITIVE TESTS
    Puerto Rico 100.00%
    Mississippi 29.35%
    South Dakota 24.10%
    Idaho 22.29%
    Wisconsin 22.15%
    Iowa 17.78%
    Missouri 17.16%
    Kansas 15.94%
    Wyoming 14.56%
    Nevada 13.55%
    Utah 13.16%
    Nebraska 12.81%
    Indiana 12.68%
    Alabama 12.58%
    Florida 10.94%

Ignoring that Puerto Rico is not a state...what the fuck is going on there?

(Also, like, we know what the fuck is going on in all those states.)

• Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    Positivity rates go up when there are test shortages, so doctors start reserving tests for those who they think are likely to have the virus.

• Options
    StarZapperStarZapper Vermont, Bizzaro world.Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Positivity rates go up when there are test shortages, so doctors start reserving tests for those who they think are likely to have the virus.

Yep, and Puerto Rico in particular has been screwed and hamstrung since March on the number of test kits they received and were able to use. They were the last to get them, and got the fewest. I don't know what the situation there now is, but they've been seeing a surge for awhile now due to reopening things, so likely their test shortage has just gotten massively worse. 100% still seems like it must be an error though.

StarZapper on
  • Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    100% is like "We have 12 tests. As such, only people who are blatantly obviously sick will get tested."

• Options
    evilmrhenryevilmrhenry Registered User regular
    StarZapper wrote: »

Yep, and Puerto Rico in particular has been screwed and hamstrung since March on the number of test kits they received and were able to use. They were the last to get them, and got the fewest. I don't know what the situation there now is, but they've been seeing a surge now for awhile due to reopening things, so likely their test shortage has just gotten massively worse. 100% still seeks like it must be an error though.

100% looks like an error:
    https://www.mayoclinic.org/coronavirus-covid-19/map/puerto-rico
    gives 14% instead. (Also, Puerto Rico reopened the beaches a couple weeks back.)

• Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    Sure, but 100%? Do they only have like a couple dozen tests...actually considering how much that island has been screwed over, this could be, yeah.

Anyway, in international news, Turkey has basically admitted to only reporting symptomatic cases and not all positive cases this entire time.

Also, I've seen some estimates that 60 million people in India may have already been infected, ten times the number of official cases. Which is a lot, but in a country of 1.3 billion that's less than 5%.

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    https://www.theverge.com/platform/amp/2020/10/3/21500538/regal-cineworld-theaters-shut-down-james-bond-us-uk
    Cineworld, owner of the largest chain of theaters in the UK and Ireland and the second-largest in the United States — Regal Cinemas — will reportedly close all its theaters next week, according to Variety, The Sunday Times, and others.

Variety reports that all 543 theaters in the US will be closed, which account for the chain’s 7,000+ screens in the region. The Sunday Times reports that it will close all 128 theaters in the UK and Ireland, too.

Both say James Bond is the reason.

Yesterday, the 25th James Bond film — No Time to Die — was pushed back to April 2021 due to the ongoing pandemic, denying theaters one of the last major tentpole releases due out this year. Apparently, theaters were counting on Bond, specifically, to arrive on time and help bail them out of poor ticket sales.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    Tox wrote: »
    https://www.theverge.com/platform/amp/2020/10/3/21500538/regal-cineworld-theaters-shut-down-james-bond-us-uk
    Cineworld, owner of the largest chain of theaters in the UK and Ireland and the second-largest in the United States — Regal Cinemas — will reportedly close all its theaters next week, according to Variety, The Sunday Times, and others.

Variety reports that all 543 theaters in the US will be closed, which account for the chain’s 7,000+ screens in the region. The Sunday Times reports that it will close all 128 theaters in the UK and Ireland, too.

Yesterday, the 25th James Bond film — No Time to Die — was pushed back to April 2021 due to the ongoing pandemic, denying theaters one of the last major tentpole releases due out this year. Apparently, theaters were counting on Bond, specifically, to arrive on time and help bail them out of poor ticket sales.

Shit. I thought this was just another temporary cessation, but it definitely reads like "Welp, we're closing up shop permanently."

The follow on effects are going to be significant. Studios relied on mass cinema screenings to recover the 9 figure debts these movies rack up, and they don't seem confident they can recover them through PPV/streaming.

Which means movie funding, especially for blockbuster types, will be at risk unless someone buys out Cineworld.

Aren't there laws that studios can't own cinemas? Cause that'd be the simplest fix, but that has its own issues.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    MorganV wrote: »

Shit. I thought this was just another temporary cessation, but it definitely reads like "Welp, we're closing up shop permanently."

The follow on effects are going to be significant. Studios relied on mass cinema screenings to recover the 9 figure debts these movies rack up, and they don't seem confident they can recover them through PPV/streaming.

Which means movie funding, especially for blockbuster types, will be at risk unless someone buys out Cineworld.

Aren't there laws that studios can't own cinemas? Cause that'd be the simplest fix, but that has its own issues.

In the US, those laws have already been overturned, because Disney needs ever more marketshare.

• Options
    MorganV wrote: »

In the US, those laws have already been overturned, because Disney needs ever more marketshare.

Really wish there was a way to tag an Awesome as sarcastic.

Then again, when I play BattleTech, my Awesomes are always sarcastic. And blasting PPC's.