As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Pardon my French [Canadian Politics Thread]

• Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    Aridhol wrote: »
    Maybe we need patient advocates, not employed by the health authority, to be present walking around the hospital.
    You can't rely on a patient who is hurt, anxious and probably intimidated to speak up and family isn't always there or even willing to stand up.

Prosecuting these people only removes these people.
    This goes hand in hand with the "drinking game" story that came out a few months ago.

Patients are generally having one of the worst times of their lives if they are at the hospital, especially the ER.

Making fun of a person on their deathbed is a special kind of despicable.

PSN: Canadian_llama
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
  • Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    Then maybe treat workers well enough that they don't want to unionize?

Imagine.

• ComahawkComahawk Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Disco11 wrote: »

An excerpt from the article that sends a chill down my spine:
    One professor told the commission the situation is so dire many Indigenous people will avoid going to the hospital over fears of being discriminated against, and those who have no choice but to go mentally prepare themselves first for the treatment they’ll be subjected to.

What. The. Fuck.

Well, I guess I shouldn't be surprised, we were warned, repeatedly:

https://www.mmiwg-ffada.ca/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/Supplementary-Report_Genocide.pdf

My mother in law passed away due to liver failure. When they discovered she had liver problems, the doctors involved asked about her drinking habits. She told them the truth, that she hadn't drank since her early twenties.

They told her she was lying and blamed drinking for the condition of her liver.

Canadians are racist, we are just quiet racists.

Comahawk on
  • LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular
    edited October 2020

I've been told that the anglicisations used in that article even sanitise how vile the comments are. "C'est mieux mort, ça." Note the de-humanising.

LordSolarMacharius on
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular

I've been told that the anglicisations used in that article even sanitise how vile the comments are. "C'est mieux mort, ça." Note the de-humanising.

My french is pretty weak, the direct translation is like "that thing is better off dead"?

• mrondeaumrondeau Montréal, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »

My french is pretty weak, the direct translation is like "that thing is better off dead"?
    A better equivalent, in term of language level, would be "It is better dead, that".
    None of the transcripts I have seen are good, grammatical or coherent French, making them hard to translate correctly.
    They are all hyper-dehumanizing, to the point where I finally figured out how to explain the difference between "he/she" and "it" without giving the impression "it" is a gender neutral pronoun.
    "Ça", unlike "il/elle" never refer to a person.

Right now, the coroner is investigating, so things are on pause. This might leads to criminal accusations, or civil lawsuits, depending on the coroner's findings.
    Apparently, this kind of insult does not reach the legal definition of hate crime by itself. It does reach the level of firing, but only one has been identified and fired. No news about the rest.
    It's also not the first time that particular hospital had complaints (not that racism is limited to one hospital).

mrondeau wrote: »
    Brolo wrote: »

A better equivalent, in term of language level, would be "It is better dead, that".
    None of the transcripts I have seen are good, grammatical or coherent French, making them hard to translate correctly.
    They are all hyper-dehumanizing, to the point where I finally figured out how to explain the difference between "he/she" and "it" without giving the impression "it" is a gender neutral pronoun.
    "Ça", unlike "il/elle" never refer to a person.

Right now, the coroner is investigating, so things are on pause. This might leads to criminal accusations, or civil lawsuits, depending on the coroner's findings.
    Apparently, this kind of insult does not reach the legal definition of hate crime by itself. It does reach the level of firing, but only one has been identified and fired. No news about the rest.
    It's also not the first time that particular hospital had complaints (not that racism is limited to one hospital).

Joliette is not what I would call a hotbed of political correctness.

• RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    It does reach the level of firing, but only one has been identified and fired. No news about the rest.

Two identified and fired as of today.

And on the "positive" (or at least less negative) side, it's generating renewed awareness of the problem of racism in Québec, and the public and political reaction, as far as I can see, is squarely on the "this is inexcusable and horrifying" side. Seeing Legault denounce racism on Facebook is certainly different from the way certain other national leaders would have handled this.

Maybe next campaign if he gets an endorsement from La Meute he won't shrug it off as inoffensive.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    Richy wrote: »
    It does reach the level of firing, but only one has been identified and fired. No news about the rest.

And on the "positive" (or at least less negative) side, it's generating renewed awareness of the problem of racism in Québec, and the public and political reaction, as far as I can see, is squarely on the "this is inexcusable and horrifying" side. Seeing Legault denounce racism on Facebook is certainly different from the way certain other national leaders would have handled this.

Maybe next campaign if he gets an endorsement from La Meute he won't shrug it off as inoffensive.

I guarantee you this will be forgotten as soon as they find it convenient to do so.

Nova_C wrote: »

I guarantee you this will be forgotten as soon as they find it convenient to do so.

You had Jason Kenney "denouncing" racism all the time......

Then proceed to do zero about it. Legault is the same.

• mrondeaumrondeau Montréal, CanadaRegistered User regular

Look, he actually said racism was a thing. This counts as improvement for Legault.

Look, he actually said racism was a thing. This counts as improvement for Legault.

Talk about low bar lol.

• AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Demonstrating their serious approach to politics the Greens have nominated a 17 year old as an MLA who, as far as I can tell, has zero experience in anything whatsoever.
    The Candidate page on the green site says only this

https://www.bcgreens.ca/kate_o_connor

About Kate

Kate is 18 and a fierce advocate fighting for urgent climate action which includes Indigenous rights, food security and protecting local farmers. Kate represents a generation of young people who are done being ignored. They’re standing up and demanding their future is protected, so that they and their kids and grandkids don’t have to worry about choking on smoke, extreme weather events and food insecurity.

The bolded won't be true until 5 days before the election.

I don't usually give a shit about peoples ages and definitely want more younger people involved in politics but this seems like a publicity stunt.

Aridhol on
  • DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    See Alberta and Quebec have so much in common. We should really stop hating on each other.

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
    Decius wrote: »
    See Alberta and Quebec have so much in common. We should really stop hating on each other.

If Alberta and Quebece stop hating each other I will know the end times have come.

• CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    Demonstrating their serious approach to politics the Greens have nominated a 17 year old as an MLA who, as far as I can tell, has zero experience in anything whatsoever.

About Kate

Kate is 18 and a fierce advocate fighting for urgent climate action which includes Indigenous rights, food security and protecting local farmers. Kate represents a generation of young people who are done being ignored. They’re standing up and demanding their future is protected, so that they and their kids and grandkids don’t have to worry about choking on smoke, extreme weather events and food insecurity.

I don't usually give a shit about peoples ages and definitely want more younger people involved in politics but this seems like a publicity stunt.

I would say this is more about filling out their roster so they can run a candidate in every riding. From what I have read, the Greens try to put pressure on the other parties so the other parties adopt their policies.

• PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    18 being the minimum age allowed, guess she would hold the record for a long time if she got in

In what way does fighting for urgent climate action have anything to do with indigenous rights and protecting local farmers?

Caedwyr wrote: »

About Kate

I would say this is more about filling out their roster so they can run a candidate in every riding. From what I have read, the Greens try to put pressure on the other parties so the other parties adopt their policies.

They couldn't find anyone else in Saanich South to represent the greens?
    This is a publicity stunt.
    I mean, maybe it's good for the greens because here I am talking about it but it's still a stunt in my opinion.

I think "getting young people involved in politics" is a hell of a lot different than "nominate young people with no experience whatsoever" to do a serious job.

Phyphor wrote: »
    18 being the minimum age allowed, guess she would hold the record for a long time if she got in

In what way does fighting for urgent climate action have anything to do with indigenous rights and protecting local farmers?

All 3 are good things. I would think she could work or volunteer in those areas to be able to advocate on their behalf later on.

Maybe I'm 2000% wrong and she does but it's not mentioned anywhere at all and she doesn't appear to have a candidate site or platform so I would say Caedwyr is probably right and this is a panic fill.

• quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    When the NDP has their upswell of support in Quebec a few years ago, didn’t they have some like 19 year old get elected as they only ran them so that they could have a warm body in each riding? I assume, like was postulated above, that this is similar to that? Just have anyone fill in for a seat they will likely lose anyways? I assume this person was at least legit into the climate change cause as they will be dealing with the fallout directly.

• CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular

About Kate

I mean, maybe it's good for the greens because here I am talking about it but it's still a stunt in my opinion.

I think "getting young people involved in politics" is a hell of a lot different than "nominate young people with no experience whatsoever" to do a serious job.

A friend of mine ran for the NDP in BC against Gordon Campbell at 18 or 19 years old. His parents were involved with the party, but were not interested in running when asked, but their son offered to do so. It is entirely a figurehead type of candidate so the party shows up in the totals, and in case there ends up being a wave.

It may end up being a publicity stunt, especially if the party makes a big deal out of it, but in the cases I know it didn't start as one intentionally.

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    quovadis13 wrote: »
    When the NDP has their upswell of support in Quebec a few years ago, didn’t they have some like 19 year old get elected as they only ran them so that they could have a warm body in each riding? I assume, like was postulated above, that this is similar to that? Just have anyone fill in for a seat they will likely lose anyways? I assume this person was at least legit into the climate change cause as they will be dealing with the fallout directly.

I don't trust the Green party to be into anything serious.

• SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular

About Kate

The NDP did the same thing in my suburban GTA riding. I was frustrated at the lack of NDP presence until I found out he was a first year UofT student who spent more time in class than on the campaign trail.

He was nothing more than a warm body to put a check beside on the ballot.

Phyphor wrote: »

A large proportion of indigenous people live a more traditional lifestyle in northern areas, both of which are threatened by climate change. And farmers get screwed every time a summer is too hot or dry or wet or spring comes too late or winter too early, which you may recognize as symptoms of climate change.

sig.gif
    quovadis13 wrote: »

Yeah, and the conservative MSM tore into her like rabid dogs looking at fresh meat. Oddly, the many nameless backbencher MPs elected by people who voted for the LPC and CPC without so much as glancing at their local candidate's name were never even mentioned in those "news" reports.

sig.gif
  • CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular
    I welcome the min age candidates, any experience in politics is going to bring about some level of understanding of how they can get engaged and get a more nuanced approach to how they want to see change implemented. Even a loss is a potential win for the future when they run.

I know for my own kid, when he expressed interest in shadowing his First Nation's self governance, I encouraged the hell out of that. Elders might be the experts at telling us what it was like to live when they were young, but its the young who tell us that the status quo doesn't make as much sense as we came to accept. A healthy democracy is somewhere between the elder statesman experienced in calm perseverance of good governance and the young actually doing more than believing their political voice will be ignored and disenfranchised into apathy by learning to be what becomes the next elder statesman.

steam_sig.png
  • OmnomnomPancakeOmnomnomPancake Registered User regular
    They also attacked the former bartender from my university in Ottawa, when she won. Mainstream media is scum. And again by all accounts she dove in with aplomb and worked hard.

Let's vote in more young people. They're cynical to the world's bullshit, born in literal doom times. Our civil service is built to support new, and novice MPs - they're often multiple-degree-earning super-experts.

A parliament with majority under 35 would bring great joy to my late-20s heart.

They also attacked the former bartender from my university in Ottawa, when she won. Mainstream media is scum. And again by all accounts she dove in with aplomb and worked hard.

Let's vote in more young people. They're cynical to the world's bullshit, born in literal doom times. Our civil service is built to support new, and novice MPs - they're often multiple-degree-earning super-experts.

In theory you may be right.

as a father to a politically active 19 year old..... They are pretty out of touch on how basic things work. Would you want a 18-year-old boss? Landlord? Project manager?

I personally want a bit more seasoning on someone before they try and be part of the apparatus that runs the country. If they run and win good for them, though.

• BlarghyBlarghy Registered User regular

Maybe not majority. As noted, experience is in fact a real thing with benefits. But, parliament should definitely be more representative of the population, including age, than it currently is.

• ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    I think we're making some generous assumptions about the qualifications of many-a-politician. <_<

Speaking of what comes next, here's are latest bit of leadership racing reaching its conclusion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuM7UOYxiOQ

I really like the tone of political conversations around STV ranked ballots, well done Greens.

steam_sig.png
    So, in case you missed it, #ProudBoys is trending on Twitter now... because gay men are taking it back and making it theirs. And this makes me so happy. Go my fabulous proud boys!

But one especially noteworthy tweet in the hashtag, and especially relevant for this thread, is this one:

That's one of the official twitter accounts of the Canadian Armed Forces. According to Capt. Kirk Sullivan, who is in charge of PR for the CAF, "If you look at our past, we didn’t always treat people fairly equally. I think it’s important to acknowledge that. It’s important to let people know, both internally within our organization and externally, what we stand for, and who we stand for and who we are.”

This makes me very proud.

sig.gif
    Good.

Just a reminder, this happened previously in Canadian Forces PR news:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/military-hate-allowed-to-stay-1.5363991

steam_sig.png
  • SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    I put my Grade 1 daughter into face to face school today. I do not feel good about it, but I feel even worse keeping her home. She's a social butterfly, this one. And while we thought we could make it work. It was not working out for her. Despite having (according to my wife) an excellent teacher with great classroom management for 28 zoom screens and a good program for the kids, my daughter would not engage.

The final straw came last week or so when her classroom was broken down into small groups of 6 or 7 kids to talk while the teacher would jump from one to the other to see how they were doing and my daughter was pleading with the screen, "Does anyone want to be my friend?" "Can someone be my friend, please?" I came home from work that day, got the report from my wife, and almost cried.

Fuck you, COVID, for making me make this terrible decision.

Steelhawk on
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Yeah, my kid is in school for as long as it's feasible for the same reason. No new cases in my area last I checked so we're good for now.

I remain pissed off at everyone trying to keep everything like bars and restaurants and other things that are not school open.

Good.

Just a reminder, this happened previously in Canadian Forces PR news:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/military-hate-allowed-to-stay-1.5363991

The article is a bit light on what counselling the guilty parties were ordered to follow. I mean, someone who belongs to a hate group has been radicalized, which is a form of brainwashing. If the counselling helps de-program them, then this was the right solution. Certainly better than just discharging them and letting them go back to their radical groups to share their knowledge and training.

sig.gif
  • HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    Yup my grade 1 son is also back in face to face school.

Good times.

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular
    "Although it is his right to be part of this group, he should avoid wearing the Proud Boys-style polo shirt in a military complex and his opinions regarding this subject should be kept to himself," Col. Paul Fuller [said]

I don't think he got de-radicalisation counselling...

"Although it is his right to be part of this group, he should avoid wearing the Proud Boys-style polo shirt in a military complex and his opinions regarding this subject should be kept to himself," Col. Paul Fuller [said]

I don't think he got de-radicalisation counselling...

Fortunately that has changed since 2017:
    “It is unacceptable for a Canadian Armed Forces member to participate in an activity or have membership in a group or organization that is connected with hate related criminal activities, and/or promotes hatred, violence, discrimination,” the military said in a statement.

sig.gif
This discussion has been closed.