As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Vampire: The Masquerade] Tremere and their BFFs, together at last

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    I wish there was a save file system for Night Road.
    I wanted to take back a simple choice approximately 10 seconds after making it (before seeing anything play out), but ain't gonna start all over.

But yeah, this is pretty neat!
    I can walk you through how to make save archives, it's pretty straightforward.

• Options
    WhiteZinfandelWhiteZinfandel Your insides Let me show you themRegistered User regular
    Here's the guide for making save games and also editing your character's stats.

• Options
    JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    I wish there was a save file system for Night Road.
    I wanted to take back a simple choice approximately 10 seconds after making it (before seeing anything play out), but ain't gonna start all over.

But yeah, this is pretty neat!

This is something that's just been kind of a thing with all the games CoG has put out- we've been screaming for a save system for years, but nothing's ever come of it. Just treat it as a learning experience for your next run.

steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • Options
    Just make sure you exit the game before copying anything.

• Options
    WhiteZinfandelWhiteZinfandel Your insides Let me show you themRegistered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »

You'll obviously need to quit out of the program to load a backed up folder, but I know from experience that making the backup doesn't require exiting.

• Options
    Zombie GandhiZombie Gandhi Registered User regular
    Thanks for passing Save info along!
    Helpful already when I misclicked a button.

• Options
    You'll obviously need to quit out of the program to load a backed up folder, but I know from experience that making the backup doesn't require exiting.
    I screwed up my save copying the folder while the game was still running, because the game doesn't copy from the "current" to the "backup" file until it exits. So when the game updated and it bounced me back to the beginning of the chapter, it took the "backup" data instead of the "current" data and I basically had to go back a few chapters.

• Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    So there's another World of Darkness visual novel coming in about two weeks. Not Vampire this time, though.

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    So there's another World of Darkness visual novel coming in about two weeks. Not Vampire this time, though.

"The first"... I feel like they're throwing subtle (and deserved) shade at the other WW game, lol.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Well shit, I wasn't expecting that little easter egg near the end of chapter 7.
    Lettow is friends with the PC from Bloodlines.

• Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    I've been playing and loving Night Road on mobile. However, I just lost about an hour of progress because the game updated and put me back at the beginning of the previous chapter...

• Options
    I enjoyed two playthroughs of Night Road enough to want more of a fix. So I picked up Coteries.
    Not the same, but I'm certainly enjoying the atmosphere/more than just text.

A hybrid of more meaningful choice with the production value of a full art/character/setting creation would be great oh wait Bloodlines 2 is delayed.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    I've been playing and loving Night Road on mobile. However, I just lost about an hour of progress because the game updated and put me back at the beginning of the previous chapter...

The good news is I think they’re slowing down the updates because yeah, that’s how choice of games update and it sucks

• Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    Imperfect wrote: »
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Who do I have to sign up with to see a Mage: The Awakening interactive happen? Maybe no one's even interested, dev-wise, it always was the black sheep.

It would be impossible to "properly" do a M:TA game. The other games have a lot of pretty strict rules that you can codify simply, but Mage is like freeform jazz or prog rock improv. The moment you try to codify it, it becomes something else, something lesser, and you still don't have a Mage game.

That said, I'd fucking love to see someone try. I LARPed a Mage game back in my teens and it was a boatload of fun.

I have no idea how you would even begin a mage computer game with a mage pc.

“Ok, I have 5 dots in forces, so I can in theory nuke Chicago, but if I do all the sleepers will notice my reality warping and collectively edit me out of existence and send me to a personal hell dimension”

• Options
    Imperfect wrote: »
    Who do I have to sign up with to see a Mage: The Awakening interactive happen? Maybe no one's even interested, dev-wise, it always was the black sheep.

It would be impossible to "properly" do a M:TA game. The other games have a lot of pretty strict rules that you can codify simply, but Mage is like freeform jazz or prog rock improv. The moment you try to codify it, it becomes something else, something lesser, and you still don't have a Mage game.

That said, I'd fucking love to see someone try. I LARPed a Mage game back in my teens and it was a boatload of fun.

I have no idea how you would even begin a mage computer game with a mage pc.

“Ok, I have 5 dots in forces, so I can in theory nuke Chicago, but if I do all the sleepers will notice my reality warping and collectively edit me out of existence and send me to a personal hell dimension”

I mean, the same way with any other game - limit player choice to a handful of options, and develop around it.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Limiting player choice is the opposite of Mage's design philosophy

• Options
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Until AI can convincingly collaborate in cooperative storytelling, it's what we've got.

(5 years)

• Options
    The only thing I can really think of that even remotely working with is like a text adventure/virtual novel kind of format though, where the player just has options of prescripted scenarios based on their character sheet and background.

Which is fine, and would probably be interesting. I think once you get to the level of something like bloodlines, having a player walk around in a game world and do stuff, it is pretty much impossible.

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Until AI can convincingly collaborate in cooperative storytelling, it's what we've got.

(5 years)

Pretty much. (And I don't think Forces 5 would let you obliterate Chicago per se, and if you tried, the Paradox would backhand you so hard you'd wind up about five dimensions shy of Arcadia.)

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    You could definitely obliterate a city with forces 5 (and probably 2 or 3 prime spheres). It just depends on how you did it.

Maybe you just raise your arms and do it. This probably fails and warps you into a paradox realm or backlashes you into nonexistence, or at best succeeds and then does the same. Either way you personally and probably anyone within your lical area are going to get fucked up.

Maybe you do a ritual to instead blow up the city in what looks like a sudden volcanic eruption . Maybe before hand you spread rumors that there’s been bizzare seismic activity on social media, maybe you have preachers spread the word that the city has been cursed by God, whatever, and you spread enough doubt into the consensus that people buy it and you squeak by.

Or maybe you slowly spread into the consensus over decades or centuries the idea that city destroying weapons are a totally normal thing, and that smashing a few bits of exotic metal together are enough to make a city go poof in a huge ball of radioactive fire. Maybe if you are successful enough you don’t even need mages, just enough sleepers that believe in it that they can build the device and use it themselves.

• Options
    Wow holy shit Coteries just ends.

I was piecemeal progressing each storyline a bit rather than blasting through any, and just barely finished Hope's before lol cliff ending.

It was intriguing and enjoyable and then it was suddenly over. But that endi g definitely hit a tone.

• Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    Yeah it's pretty great but you do find out you should be focusing on just two stories instead of visiting everyone.

• Options

I was piecemeal progressing each storyline a bit rather than blasting through any, and just barely finished Hope's before lol cliff ending.

It was intriguing and enjoyable and then it was suddenly over. But that endi g definitely hit a tone.

I think the coteries games are pretty bad tbh

• Options

If you like Hope, I think you'll have something to look forward to in Shadows.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    I feel like I enjoyed Coteries more while playing it than in retrospect, and since it started alright then drifted hard as it showed the lack of depth. Presumably because I was thirsty for more experiences after Night Road. I expected and accepted some more railroading (as it's more Visual Novel or whatever), but I will state that the sudden ending in what felt like was maybe Act 2 (if not even Act 1) left a bad taste in the mouth.

Some of the writing was stronger, some of it was definitely weak, and I think I most appreciated the art and sound more than some of the story it was trying to tell. Maybe as an intro to the universe I would have appreciated it more, but this isn't my first rodeo, and some of it felt a bit toooooooo leaning into tropy or one-dimensional exploration rather than something with more layers or nuance.

But I suppose that may not be entirely fair since I only got 2/3rds into the way of most of the game's stories before unceremoniously ending it.
    Hope was interesting, Agathon was less so. The anarchs were formulaic, and I felt the Stalker plot was disjointed. I was starting to enjoy the Nosferatu detective and saw glimmers of interest in the Gangrel plot, but then I never got to revisit them so it felt off. Characters disappeared to never return (Qadir?), and it felt like a series of vignettes rather than a cohesive whole. Which, great, multiple playthroughs! But not if I don't want to do another playthrough because it felt shallow and suddenly you are done.

Maybe I'd appreciate Shadows more, but I'm definitely a bit more apprehensive after a few hours with it than after only getting through the intro and being excited for more.

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Tube wrote: »
    FYI if you bought the steam version and want it on mobile, you can email Choice Of Games support and they'll give you a key

I had someone else on another forum ask about it (I haven't done it yet myself), did you just email the support address in the game or something else?

• Options
    From the dev: "The best thing for you the consumer is to purchase the game on Steam; create an account on our webstore (choiceofgames.com/profile); email the Steam receipt in to support@choiceofgames.com; download the app on either Apple, Google, or Amazon; click "Restore Purchases." That will give you access to the game on Steam, on the website, and on the mobile device of your choice."

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Fuck yes, thank you!

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Basically, a proper Mage game would be Scribblenauts, but with a narrative.

• Options
    A proper Changeling game would be pretty difficult. How do you replicate the terror and unstoppable factor of a True Fae being after you?

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »

Sign me up!

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Yeah Night Road was pretty neat.

I dunno if I want to play again, i'm pretty attached to the decisions I made so at most i'd pick a different ending I had available to me, but...

Shit, I should have backed up my game before I made that choice just to see what the others ended with. Goddammit.

• Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    Finished up Shadows of New York and I really enjoyed it.

Need to go back to Coteries to explore the other paths I didn't do but overall I just enjoy a simple VN once in awhile.

Now time to give Night Road a go.

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    A proper Changeling game would be pretty difficult. How do you replicate the terror and unstoppable factor of a True Fae being after you?
    give it a lot of hp and mana

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular

The thing, but more sparkly and glowing and less juicy and squishy

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular

The game turns into a bright and airy survival horror game.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options

The game turns into a bright and airy survival horror game.

It could be done like Silent Hill, you occasionally have lucid flashbacks to your time in Arcadia.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    So, Heart of the Forest, the Werewolf visual novel is out. It's a pretty short one, but I enjoyed it. More than I did Coteries, anyway.

Coteries is a pretty traditional visual novel, with images of people constantly talking to you. HotF is more of a novel with visuals. The images on screen are less concerned with strict accuracy, as they are with establishing the mood of the scene. They can be quite pretty.
    The story itself is very much an introduction to the world of Werewolf: the Apocalypse. One could almost say it's about building the player's character sheet, though I also think that's selling the game a bit short.

I also liked how the game felt kind of mystical at times. Although I guess that's to be expected of a Werewolf game.

• Options
    I played it! I think it's better than coteries but still pales in comparison to Night Road. The lack of a text skip button (unless I'm missing it again) hurts the replay value, and it honestly just kind of feels like a character creator that ends when it should be getting started. It's well written, but I'd take a more ambitious structure ala Night Road over adding visuals to each scene.

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »

Though with a fairly severe penalty for choosing words that don't fit the current scene :P