As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Hollow Knight] Sequel: New trailer, still no release date

1252627282931Β»

• Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Silksong can come out anytime now, though. I'd like to play that.

Not lying, every single gaming event that has been online for quarantine I have prayed for Silksong news.

Here's the Nintendo infographic for upcoming releases in "2020 and beyond!"
    indies.original.jpg
    It's on there, towards the bottom, see it? 2020 and beyond!

...beyond... ...
    Enlong wrote: Β»
    Mostly I just like Godmaster for making the bosses available to fight again at any time. Unlocking the ability to create a Godtuner file is a pretty great reward.

I'm curious what the benefit of using a new game with that vs just using your existing file that you've unlocked it already with?

Well, you get to tick all the boxes in the Pantheons and the Hall of Gods again!

Also the Godseeker is nicer to you. Almost creepily so.

H9f4bVe.png
  • EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Mostly I just like Godmaster for making the bosses available to fight again at any time. Unlocking the ability to create a Godtuner file is a pretty great reward.

I didn't even know what was a thing.

I'm curious what the benefit of using a new game with that vs just using your existing file that you've unlocked it already with?

If you haven’t got 100% completion in the main game, a Godtuner file starts you out with all the permanent upgrades. Every Nail, every Health Mask, every Soul Vessel, and every Charm (though it automatically chooses to give you Grimmchild instead of Carefree Melody). If you don’t feel like delivering the fragile flower just so you can have an extra mask for the harder pantheons, then a Godtuner file gives you everything straight away.

You also have all the boss statues unlocked, including alternate forms that you normally need to unlock via pantheons in the main game.

• LeumasWhiteLeumasWhite New ZealandRegistered User regular
    mrpaku wrote: Β»
    I got to... I wanna say 110%, defeated the first three Pantheons, and I will *never* get any further because I spoiled Hallownest for myself and
    fighting fifty bosses *in a row* seems less a challenge and more a very specific type of masochism

It turns out it's not actually that bad, except that the very final fight is a huge kick in the teeth, and requiring a half-hour run per attempt is obnoxious. You'll end up breezing through everything up to that point with a bit of practice. I did finally beat it just this past week, and oof, it wasn't worth it. I'm cleaning up Steel Soul achievements now, and it's positively relaxing in comparison.
    I lied, putting Zote right after Markoth is also a huge dick move. God, fuck Markoth.

QPPHj1J.jpg
  • darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    Sitting here waiting for silksong like

pHWHd2G.jpg
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    I should go back and do the DLC.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Game Grumps started an HK playthrough and I want to replay it for DLC. Also Silksong, when?

• 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    My 7 year old drew this:

xd0k7c1nccq1.png

Hollow Knight in a nutshell:
    When you heal you get a free needle in the face.
    She wants to be the knight for Halloween.

38thDoE on steam
    πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€

• McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    38thDoe wrote: Β»
    My 7 year old drew this:

xd0k7c1nccq1.png

Hollow Knight in a nutshell:
    When you heal you get a free needle in the face.
    She wants to be the knight for Halloween.

You've done well.

steam_sig.png
  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Wrong thread!

mrpaku on
    Just, ah, be careful about your kid going to Deepnest.

• MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    Im so bad at finishing this. I want to like it and I frequently come back and play a bunch more.

And then I get distracted by some other 3rd person action game game.

Im not a big 2d person.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    I played this some more and got to the Soul Knight in the City of Tears.

It proceeded to kick my ass. About a dozen times.

It also has no bench near it and your spectre spawns in the room with it :/

• 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: Β»
    I played this some more and got to the Soul Knight in the City of Tears.

It proceeded to kick my ass. About a dozen times.

It also has no bench near it and your spectre spawns in the room with it :/

Sometimes you can lure it out by firing a fireball into the room. If that is the boss I am thinking of in City of Tears I think its one of the toughest ones in the game especially if you don't have many upgrades so maybe try it later.

Just, ah, be careful about your kid going to Deepnest.

Deepnest won't be a problem, but I will need to come up with some reason to have her not talk to Myla. She thinks Myla is very nice because she thinks you probably have a nice singing voice.

38thDoE on steam

• DrezDrez Registered User regular
    I still haven't beaten the game. I'm at the "end" or whatever?
    The egg, I think? The tall dude you have to fight that keeps kicking my caboose to kingdom come.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    Myla is the best tho.

And Zote. Zote is also the best.

Bedlam wrote: Β»
    Myla is the best tho.

And Zote. Zote is also the best.

Myla being the best is why it may be bad for the kid to know her.
    Her story does not end well.

Zote is the best. I often visit him in his villa down in deepnest.

38thDoE on steam

• CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Drez wrote: Β»
    The egg, I think? The tall dude you have to fight that keeps kicking my caboose to kingdom come.

Um...
    That's if you want the normal ending. If you want the real final boss and the best ending, there's a bunch of wacky sidequest stuff you need to achieve with the Dream Nail. Its a pain in the ass to memorize. As esoteric as a Dark Souls sidequest. You may want to look it up.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    Cantido wrote: Β»
    Drez wrote: Β»

Um...
    That's if you want the normal ending. If you want the real final boss and the best ending, there's a bunch of wacky sidequest stuff you need to achieve with the Dream Nail. Its a pain in the ass to memorize. As esoteric as a Dark Souls sidequest. You may want to look it up.

Some minor but real late-game spoilers, in particular a couple late-game item names...
    I wouldn't say it's *that* difficult to find the alternate endings, but it does require going all over the map and using the Dream Nail on everything you find that has the glowey dream aura about it. Once you acquire them, the item descriptions on King's Brand and King's Soul basically tell you where to take them to open up the extra endings. But finding them requires exploring everything (even on my third time through the game, I kept missing the route to King's Brand).

• Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Picked this up again last week after a long time, started a new game, and got a normal ending after 25ish hours. Looked at the requirements for the other endings, and decided I was good.

I loved the world and movement and most of the exploration but I also bounced off the combat harder than I probably have for any other game. It all just refused to click for me and never felt satisfying. And I found a number of other game mechanics frustrating which was disappointing as I had really looked forward to the game while it was in development.

I'm curious to see how Silksong will turn out as Hornet having even a portion of her abilities would likely make combat more interesting for me but it's a cautious curiosity.

I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
    Happy Halloween!
    hdqdwz5kbo2g.png

38thDoE on steam

• Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    There was a magazine article featuring Hollow Knight released over the holidays that has some pretty beautiful looking new stuff. Still no release date, unfortunately, but gosh it looks pretty.

EqjwHNXXcAEiqyb.jpg

dm765595th861.jpg?width=960&crop=smart&auto=webp&s=5a119920f73ea3b6b9c380de1a6e81c0838dde0e
    zcavc3m6th861.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&auto=webp&s=6baa31cce1ac7bae427c4c5d03fd0838ecc62132

H9f4bVe.png
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZ0ifUoVB7M&ab_channel=IGN

The whole world's gonna die!

Because Silksong is real!

H9f4bVe.png
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Just gonna spoil it for people: there is still no release date, not even a release window hinted. :lol:

Looks great!

I'm sure someone that shares some of our genes will someday get to play it!

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    I don't believe it.

Also, something really odd about it being at the Xbox showcase and not a Nintendo thing.

Just gonna spoil it for people: there is still no release date, not even a release window hinted. :lol:

But we do know you can get it day one, whenever that day is.

H9f4bVe.png
    fvoqudtdt1kt.png

38thDoE on steam

Hmmm....I'll reserve excitement till it gets an actual release date. The game was announced over 3 years ago, and while the gameplay they showed today looked great, it still looked like Hollow Knight, so it's not even super clear what is taking so long development wise.

Also, I have my doubts that everything they showed at the xbox thing will be released before next summer. I think a decent chunk of them are going to be at least fall/holiday releases, ultimately (D4 ain't gonna be out by summer, I find it hard to believe it'll be out before 2024, despite them saying 2023), but who knows?

Maybe they'll be shown off at some Nintendo thing before long, with an actual release date. Does Nintendo even have something coming up? I feel like their last direct was pretty recent. But looking at google, it was apparently in February so I clearly am not totally capable of registering the passage of time in a linear fashion. :lol:

• darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    I don't believe it.

Also, something really odd about it being at the Xbox showcase and not a Nintendo thing.

Because it was announced it'll be on gamepass day one.

No idea what day that is though...

pHWHd2G.jpg
    Hmmm....I'll reserve excitement till it gets an actual release date. The game was announced over 3 years ago, and while the gameplay they showed today looked great, it still looked like Hollow Knight, so it's not even super clear what is taking so long development wise.

From what I heard, they only published hollow knight when they did because they ran out of money. They wanted to keep going until it was done. So now that they have all of the hollow knight money they can afford to wait to release silk song until it’s ready.

38thDoE on steam

• -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Yeah that was my thought. They probably want to release Silksong as a complete game up front.

edited June 2022
    I guess I benefited from having Hollow Knight having been out for a long time before I actually got around to it?

Was it that incomplete when it launched? What were the major changes/additions? EDIT: Aside from the gods (or whatever it's called, the boss rush things and challenges) stuff that is end/post game stuff that I think they added later, and I think the grimm troupe was also an addon?

The Dude With Herpes on

Hidden Dreams, The Grimm Troupe, Lifeblood and Godmaster were all post-launch content.

• StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    They’re a very small team, and they are developing what is likely a very large Metroidvania. Hollow Knight had one of the largest maps of the genre, and when you consider the detail in the art and animation, that makes for a very time-consuming process.

And Silksong was originally developed as DLC, so expanding it likely took a lot more time.

YL9WnCY.png
    -Loki- wrote: Β»
    Hidden Dreams, The Grimm Troupe, Lifeblood and Godmaster were all post-launch content.

I guess stuff in Hidden Dreams and maybe Lifeblood would be stuff that would constitute "completing" the content, but Grimm Troupe and Godmaster are distinctly separate content in the game, from the rest of the stuff.

It was just implied that the game was released incomplete, and I was wondering what that meant. I imagine Silksong will get post-launch content either way.

• ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    If "incomplete" means something like the initial Hollow Knight release with the "rest' of the game released as corresponding DLC, I'd just prefer that, because I want to play it ASAP.

But I understand wanting to release it as a complete artistic vision, so yeah.

But I WANT TO PLAY IT SO BAD.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
    I really liked the kind of episodic drip of content with the Hollow Knight DLCs. The extra bits of lore and world-building that they slowly introduced were really enjoyable ways to revisit the game. And I think the extra endings of Godmaster and how it was worked into the original story and setting was masterful.

I'll be a bit sad if Silksong comes out in just one great big chunk and then we never get any more Hollow Knight ever again.

H9f4bVe.png
    I'd rather play it when its done. I don't usually have the time to replay games over and over. Too many games in the back log.
    That being said Hollow Knight is one of the few I'll rerun just because it is so much fun.

38thDoE on steam