As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Black Lives Matter Thread 7

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    wait, OLLIE NORTH? the contra coverup fall guy?

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Typhoid MannyTyphoid Manny Registered User regular
    oliver fuckin' north making videogames, jesus wept

from each according to his ability, to each according to his need
    hitting hot metal with hammers
  • StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    IIRC CoD4 had a lot of stuff that was apparently completely accidental.

Can't remember where I read this but the first draft of Blops2 was supposedly way more subversive before Ollie North got brought onboard and we got what we got.

That wouldn't entirely surprise me. CoD4 is almost like an inkblot test, in that it doesn't swing hard enough toward subversion or jingoism to make for any obvious interpretations. The two scenes people most remember from that game (the nuke detonation and the on-rails AC-130 air support mission) can be read as criticisms of the military OR just cool-guy action moments, depending on what life experiences you're approaching it with. I know I definitely read them as the latter back when I first played it as a college sophomore who was only just barely starting to extract myself from the conservative bubble I had lived in; I never even considered the former interpretations until I started paying more attention to progressive media critics.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    Stilts wrote: »
    IIRC CoD4 had a lot of stuff that was apparently completely accidental.

Can't remember where I read this but the first draft of Blops2 was supposedly way more subversive before Ollie North got brought onboard and we got what we got.

That wouldn't entirely surprise me. CoD4 is almost like an inkblot test, in that it doesn't swing hard enough toward subversion or jingoism to make for any obvious interpretations. The two scenes people most remember from that game (the nuke detonation and the on-rails AC-130 air support mission) can be read as criticisms of the military OR just cool-guy action moments, depending on what life experiences you're approaching it with. I know I definitely read them as the latter back when I first played it as a college sophomore who was only just barely starting to extract myself from the conservative bubble I had lived in; I never even considered the former interpretations until I started paying more attention to progressive media critics.

Also most of the campaign being a progressive series of blunders by the US Military. (Who are then bailed out by the cool guy SAS dudes)

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    The Oklahoma shit is absolutely disgusting, and the call of duty thing is small potatoes compared to it. I'm sorry if I came across as minimizing or dismissing the issue by choosing to talk about the CoD thing instead.

Yeah, sorry, sorry. I've calmed down now. Was just a intense thought of "Wait *THIS* is what you're choosing to sever over?" with maybe a little leftover feelings from the Mass Effect thread.

That said no it's super bad and is gonna get worse in the new blops. Thing is a majority of the playerbase never actually clicks the "single player" button and never actually sees a lot of that stuff.

Its similar to 40k in that the who I know IRL who play it are mostly native anarchist types and thinking about it maybe you *shouldn't* trust us.

The heck is a native anarchist and why shouldn't we trust them/you?

Children's rights are human rights.
  • RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Assassin's Creed liberation had a black woman as a protagonist and code switching.

Hades has arbor afro Aphrodite

Senegalese Tirailleurs were a level in Battlefield 1

Gaming can be fun and subversive.

Then there's sin, where a black man is distracted from his final victory by a sexual display by a white woman.

• Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    wait, OLLIE NORTH? the contra coverup fall guy?

https://youtu.be/EXnmcRUsccU

They also had him in a """"documentary"""" they made as a trailer lol
    https://youtu.be/Gm5PZGb3OyQ

• PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Jesus Christ

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Wait, was Blade (from SiN) black? I thought he was a white dude in dreads.

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited October 2020

Yea, a lot of the games promotional art is so washed out with orange that it just kind of evens out everyones skin tones to look like they are standing in front of the worlds most intense sunset. If you look at the DVD cover and stuff though he is black.

Do you ever see yourself in the game?

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular

Daryl Gates made it onto the cover of a video game

• Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Somehow it flew under the radar because it was before he went full on chud fox news treason expert.

Der Waffle Mous on
  • JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    I've played every CoD campaign.

CoD4 did kinda right the rails between criticism and jingoism, for a lot of reasons. The rest of the MW trilogy was pure America Fuck yeah, complete with a logistically impossible invasion of the US.

Black Ops 2, the original not the new sequel coming out this year, was the one where the plot was "What if Occupy Wall Street was a terrorist group"

I think its tied with Ghosts for the grossest plot. That was the one with "Latin America invades the US, and its up to two brothers literally raised from birth to be soldiers to save it"

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    webguy20 wrote: »

Yea, a lot of the games promotional art is so washed out with orange that it just kind of evens out everyones skin tones to look like they are standing in front of the worlds most intense sunset. If you look at the DVD cover and stuff though he is black.

Yeah, he shows up in cutscenes and stuff. IMO, he just looks slightly tanner than the white & nerdy computer expert character, but I really didn't mean to start an extended discussion about this in the BLM thread, so I'm willing to drop it.

I did learn he was born in 2007, so he's a zoomer, which I find funny.

Undead Scottsman on
    edited October 2020
    Ghosts is the one that opens with you on america's brand new orbital WMD platform which gets hijacked by those horrid venezuelans and used on america before america can use it against them.

also you can pet the dog

Der Waffle Mous on

Daryl Gates made it onto the cover of a video game

video games delenda est

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Wow this is fucked up

Tl;dr (but do read it) - cadets in the armed forces were banned from watching Malcolm X as part of an arts discussion event with William Jackson Harper, because it contravenes the “Executive Order Combating Race and Sex Stereotyping”.
    Which, well. Wow.

tynic wrote: »
    Wow this is fucked up

Tl;dr (but do read it) - cadets in the armed forces were banned from watching Malcolm X as part of an arts discussion event with William Jackson Harper, because it contravenes the “Executive Order Combating Race and Sex Stereotyping”.
    Which, well. Wow.

Impeachment trial and subsequent payback has shown the military where they stand with 45.

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    Wow this is fucked up

Which, well. Wow.

I wonder if that is a first amendment issue. I suppose since it wasn't actually invoked, and the cadets voluntarily did not watch it, theres no case.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    people in the armed forces don't have constitutional rights

that's not me being cynical, it's literally true

• SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    they "voluntarily" didn't watch it, because they were afraid they would be disciplined for watching it.

that really isn't actually voluntary though.

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
    edited October 2020
    webguy20 wrote: »

Yeah, he shows up in cutscenes and stuff. IMO, he just looks slightly tanner than the white & nerdy computer expert character, but I really didn't mean to start an extended discussion about this in the BLM thread, so I'm willing to drop it.

I did learn he was born in 2007, so he's a zoomer, which I find funny.

Anime says yes, 2001 gameplay says maybe.

This is why there is a Tvtrope called ambiguously brown.

Crap, forgot black media for first page
    https://youtu.be/x6Nl0A_nVxU

Edit:
    Makeup
    https://youtu.be/4hmmpyk2ZHU

RoyceSraphim on
  • MidniteMidnite Registered User regular
    Jonathan Price's murderer arrested:

I was expecting at least a few weeks of the typical bullshit. It's not a conviction yet, but it's a fucking welcome start.

Midnite wrote: »
    Jonathan Price's murderer arrested:

I was expecting at least a few weeks of the typical bullshit. It's not a conviction yet, but it's a fucking welcome start.

What got fucked in this scenario to motivate a rapid arrest rather than 30days of hemming and hawing?

• LabelLabel Registered User regular
    shit, that was only a few days ago. Wow.

The Story of Jimmy Rebel got pulled from Netflix's lineup of Boondocks episodes.

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    People ask why I don't like playing CoD and such games
    Because I did that stuff for real and have to live with it. It's not like a video game

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    The Story of Jimmy Rebel got pulled from Netflix's lineup of Boondocks episodes.

it's funny that they pull the episode that's mean to white people

they'll never pull the one that features MLK saying all the things white people want desperately to say out loud

Shorty wrote: »

it's funny that they pull the episode that's mean to white people

they'll never pull the one that features MLK saying all the things white people want desperately to say out loud

I want to say those things and watched the scene over and over.

That others would ride the coattails of the message underscores the part about being another man's judge and jury. And if we're yakking about cops, executioner.

yeah, it's a good episode, I just think that if you meet a white person and that's the first and only one they get excited about, they are probably telling you Some Shit about themselves

• Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    this isn't american cops but it is still extremely cool

Crippl3 wrote: »
    this isn't american cops but it is still extremely cool

#1 you'd think they would be smart enough to install locks on those things.

#2 The united states as a whole stopped using water based crowd control after the civil rights movement and no one wants to be the cat that brings it back.

Except trump

• PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    #2 is incorrect, water cannons were deployed at Standing Rock in 2016, and Portland tried to authorize for police usage like a month ago. It stalled out, but it's impossible to say if it'll stay stalled, given how everything's going.

• Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular

Yeah, not even Oliver North deserves to have to work as a video game dev.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
    good luck finding a jury that won't nullify

Yeah, not even Oliver North deserves to have to work as a video game dev.

this was an A+ reversal

• Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    good luck finding a jury that won't nullify

not a lawyer obviously, but i'd be pretty surprised at outright nullification.

which isn't to say they won't get off, but i can definitely see a good ("good") lawyer coming up with a defense that's just plausible enough to let a jury full of shitheads find them not guilty despite the actual facts of the case.

fingers crossed that they get disbarred at the very least (they're both lawyers, right?)

a jury won't need to nullify when the prosecutors only charged them because they want to look like the care and can easily just not make a case for the jury to convict them on

This discussion has been closed.