As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WH40K] Battle Forge is here

• ChrysisChrysis Registered User regular
    They've always said weapons now, wounds and things with your book.

It's just their application of weapons now has been a bit haphazard.

Tri-Optimum reminds you that there are only one-hundred-sixty-three shopping days until Christmas. Just 1 extra work cycle twice a week will give you the spending money you need to make this holiday a very special one.
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I know they have different teams working on the books so there is a lack of communication. people playing off beat and odd armies and other factors of why the books are not balanced [you can only play so many games in a time frame} As people can see the holes in certain armies to make unkillable armies from it {the iron hands dread problem and imperial soup}
    As the balance in smaller games seems fine [kill team and the board games} So I really wonder if the people playing games are just playing the same armies over and over in the name of playtesting

• italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    Elaro wrote: »
    Elaro wrote: »
    *removes bolter+chainsword loadout for vanilla death company*

someone at GW is in my brain and *hates* me.

Good thing I only glued one of my strike squads to have full twin falchion loadout...

Wait, no! I only glued together my Grey Knight Kill Team, my 3 purgation squads, and one normal strike squad member! Go go Psykiku Sentai!

hey guess what didn't get updated with the rest of the flamer weapons?

I'll pick "Everything the grey knights use" for 500, Alex!

Hey now, Grey Knights did get a special shout out in their FAQ:
    Many veteran Grey Knights players are unclear whether or not a matched play rule called Psychic Focus, which was published in the previous edition of the game and enabled their Psykers to ignore the increasing Warp Charge cost of Smite, should continue to apply or not. For clarity, this rule is not a feature of the 9th edition of Warhammer 40,000, and Grey Knights Psykers manifest Smite just like any other Psyker unit. Rest assured that the psychic might of this army can be reflected using the additional updates and rules found within Psychic Awakening: Ritual of the Damned, and we will be building upon this even more in the 9th edition version of Codex: Grey Knights.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Deathwing ancient is gone?

Dire Avenger power glaive looks a bit feeble now compared to a power sword. (as do all the xenos power weapons)

• evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    Have now successfully done a wrist joint to an inferno bolter. Just some shoulder joints, a warpflamer and the src to go before I have a marine who can hold all three guns. Happily my system for keeping track of polarity is working well so far.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

honovere wrote: »
    Deathwing ancient is gone?

Dire Avenger power glaive looks a bit feeble now compared to a power sword. (as do all the xenos power weapons)

Deathwing ancient isn’t in the index, but it’s referenced in one of the relics... maybe we’ll see a FAQ to the FAQ?

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    evilbob wrote: »
    Have now successfully done a wrist joint to an inferno bolter. Just some shoulder joints, a warpflamer and the src to go before I have a marine who can hold all three guns. Happily my system for keeping track of polarity is working well so far.
    Is it a ball bearing on the end of the stack you’re not using?

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    I am not sorry:

WG0mqpa.jpg

Mr_Rose wrote: »
    evilbob wrote: »
    Is it a ball bearing on the end of the stack you’re not using?

Stick magnet to side of hobby knife blade, make sure repels what it's supposed to connect to, put glue in hole then press magnet in with the blade, slide the blade off.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Mayday wrote: »
    I am not sorry:
    WG0mqpa.jpg

Wow. That is a digging deep.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • pardzhpardzh Registered User regular
    Someone sculpt him an Annihilation Keyboard

gt: Bobby2Socks | steam: Billy Boot-Snatcher

You talk clean and bomb hospitals, so I speak with the foulest mouth possible
  • SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    I have a couple of old recast Repressor kits, and the Rhinos I ordered for them came in yesterday. The resin uppers are just barely too small to mate properly with the plastic rhino hull, so I may have to get creative.

It bugs me when Forge World discontinues cool models. I get it, sometimes molds wear out, or someone literally drops and breaks one (like with the Lucius Pattern drop pod), and they don't think that the sales of the model is worth the cost of creating a new mold... But I'm pretty sure the sisters launch would have been a perfect time to start cranking out Repressors again.

Then again, supposedely GW was very surprised with how well the SOB range sold when it launched, so maybe that's why.

I am not sorry:
    WG0mqpa.jpg

Would it help if I knew who that floppy-haired muppet on the end was?

Mr_Rose wrote: »
    I am not sorry:
    WG0mqpa.jpg

Would it help if I knew who that floppy-haired muppet on the end was?

Yes.

• Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Very much so.

That you didn't include The Golden Scarab somewhere in the Necron photo just feels like a missed opportunity for an even deeper cut.

Dr_Keenbean on
    PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
    Oh man, that's brilliant. Guess I'm not the pro excavator I thought I was...

• MonwynMonwyn Apathy's a tragedy, and boredom is a crime. A little bit of everything, all of the time.Registered User regular
    I have a couple of old recast Repressor kits, and the Rhinos I ordered for them came in yesterday. The resin uppers are just barely too small to mate properly with the plastic rhino hull, so I may have to get creative.

It bugs me when Forge World discontinues cool models. I get it, sometimes molds wear out, or someone literally drops and breaks one (like with the Lucius Pattern drop pod), and they don't think that the sales of the model is worth the cost of creating a new mold... But I'm pretty sure the sisters launch would have been a perfect time to start cranking out Repressors again.

Then again, supposedely GW was very surprised with how well the SOB range sold when it launched, so maybe that's why.

I suspect the Sisters range will be intermittently expanded like the AdMech have been and Repressors are an obvious slam-dunk candidate for that sort of treatment. Plus you'll get it in plastic instead of resin.

uH3IcEi.png
  • LanlaornLanlaorn Registered User regular
    It's been out of production for years and they stopped printing it in the rules now in 9th, while I love the Repressor I'd be surprised to see it again instead of something novel.

I'd much rather some kind of generic Living Saint model or a flyer, and personally I'd really like a sword and shield and power armor melee unit.

While we’re talking about sisters, I introduced one of my friends to Warhammer through them before assembling a model myself. They’re incredibly fiddly with all these tiny intricate pieces and high amounts of details. It was a bit intimidating to a newcomer, but she really dig the aesthetic so of course it was the right answer.

I’ll eventually make a battalion myself, hopefully after I’ve mastered some easy layering techniques because that’s a lot of cloth they wear.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Finished all of the MDF terrain.
    immvoi8ic8r5.jpeg

Next is GW terrain.
    7sytg9rbd740.jpeg
    1vzxp0bbgxw2.jpeg
    keui93c39nh6.jpeg

Stragint on
    PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    Apropos of absolutely nothing, does anyone know where I could get a 28mm scale jazz sax?

• AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Apropos of absolutely nothing, does anyone know where I could get a 28mm scale jazz sax?

If you have access to a 3D printer you may be able to scale this down to size.

:razz:

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    HeroForge has saxophones as an option I think

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    It seems like there are no digital versions of the two new codices? Only the code for the rules in the app that comes with the physical version. If that's really like it is that would be pretty dumb

• SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    It seems like there are no digital versions of the two new codices? Only the code for the rules in the app that comes with the physical version. If that's really like it is that would be pretty dumb

Part of me thinks that is just GW being inept, and part of me assumes it's just their way of trying to fight codex piracy (since the DRM they use on their digital versions is extremely weak). Instead of someone downloading GW's ebook version and converting it straight across to epub or PDF they might have to build a pirated version page by page.

Aight. Gonna do some more drilling/gluing today. Wish me luck for the src. Everything else I've put a magnet in so far either had a spare or was incredibly easy like the torso.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• ArdolArdol Registered User regular

Part of me thinks that is just GW being inept, and part of me assumes it's just their way of trying to fight codex piracy (since the DRM they use on their digital versions is extremely weak). Instead of someone downloading GW's ebook version and converting it straight across to epub or PDF they might have to build a pirated version page by page.

Or it could be that there is no reason to put an epub up for pre-order? I mean it isn't like they need to be shipped. But I suppose we shall see.

• ChrysisChrysis Registered User regular
    Ardol wrote: »

Or it could be that there is no reason to put an epub up for pre-order? I mean it isn't like they need to be shipped. But I suppose we shall see.

They used to put them up for preorder, I've preordered a couple. There's also a Facebook screenshot confirming no stand alone digital for what it's worth. The lack of a main rulebook epub would also be evidence against future epubs.

Tri-Optimum reminds you that there are only one-hundred-sixty-three shopping days until Christmas. Just 1 extra work cycle twice a week will give you the spending money you need to make this holiday a very special one.
    Speaking of digital media; why the frilly heck is the unlock code for the rules in your app a numeric code that you type in? It should be a GUID buried in a QR matrix that you scan w/the app and they should definitely not be sequential.

He attacc
    wfkl3ivax5lq.jpg

He attacc
    o98qfavrjjty.jpg

But most importantly, he attacc
    k9awu893zy1m.jpg

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

God bless random youtube guy who recommended doing the shoulders. Could swap the bolter in and out ok with static arms, but warpflamer would be very hard and src probably impossible.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Played a game last night, 2k. Decided to take 8th edition point and rules Necrons out for one last spin (9th edition mission and rules) and brought a weird list. An Overlord, a Plasmancer (okay he's not 8th, shut up), a Cryptek, 40 Warriors, 15 Immortals, 6 Wraiths, 2 Doom Scythes, and a Triarch Stalker. Going up against my Guard friend who figured out WAY before the internet how good Chimeras and Scout Sentinels were backed up by indirect fire Manticore Tank ace and Basilisks (and a few Tank Commanders).

He didn't bring that list, though. We know it's very good, so he's experimenting. What I saw across the board was 60 conscripts, a metric ton of Guardsmen, an Inquisitor in some chair-like thing that had a 30 inch range multi-melta, and tons of special weapons models, teams, and veterans.

I usually lean heavily into anti-tank IN GENERAL because I love me some lascannon equivalents. That kind of list would've torched me. I lucked out in bringing what I did, but also got first turn and got a charge off with the Wraiths. He then rolled poorly the rest of the game.

I thought the table was about to be flipped, though, when he managed to score 14 wounds on the three remaining Wraiths with his at that point massed Cadian mortar fire. 14 wounds, 13 saves. Even if they had been 9th edition Wraiths, it still would've been 12 saves. I rolled eleven 5's and 6's and one 4.

He conceded at that point, but I think his targeting was off and he should've aimed more at my softer targets, but I have no idea. It was just one of those games. The Triarch Stalker shrugged off the first lascannon hit due to Quantum Shielding, he could never really get enough firepower into the Doom Scythes due to the -1 to hit, and I sent the Wraiths into his lines at a point where dense cover woods were blocking off most of his army and so THEY got -1 to hit....Terrain's important.

Bizazedo on
    XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dn4XnVSYWLU
    Why this upsets me is when shadowspear came out and then Kill team I thought it would be fun to make a small space marine chapter
    I wanted to do the mantis warriors because how they picked poorly in the Barab war and got f'd over for it I felt they would working on the sides in various wars to show they were still in for the imperial but did not have the numbers to really do a stand up fight
    When the previous codex came out letting you build all Phobos chapters it was a little late as I picked to do not night lords [still I am not sold on what icon to use and the name for the chapter}
    But it was the stuff in Shadowspear [the snipers, the librarian and the phobos armor that said to me it would be neat to do the mantis warriors}
    The only painting thing I found used army painter, citadel and another company's paints to get the look like in the forgeworld book

• ArdolArdol Registered User regular
    So the other night me (Necrons), my brother (Tyranids), and a friend (World Eaters) started a crusade. I used a custom dynasty from the new codex based on the thokt dynasty(-1 toughness to all enemy units within engagement range, up to 6" move pre turn 1). I always liked the idea in the fluff of the radioactive necrons. We started with combat patrols and the first mission was Necrons vs World Eaters in the supply drop mission.
    He went first and used a strat to move 9" pre round 1. Now I don't know if anyone has looked at that particular map the deployment zones are on the long sides of the map and there is only 20" between them (and the deployment zones are only 5" deep). Suffice to say he had an easy charge to make and his berserkers proceeded to immediately kill my 10 warriors and my cryptothralls. My command barge heroicly intervened and killed most of the chaos marines in melee and then killed the rest in my shooting phase. Fortunately his second group of zerkers failed their charge roll on my skorpekh destroyers and on my turn they moved up the board and with my scarabs killed them all. Turn two he brought in his chaos lord in terminator armor from deep strike and mulched the destroyers. My scarabs killed his cultists and the only things on the board were the command barge, his warlord and my scarabs. He successfully charged my barge and managed to do a whopping 18!!! mortal wounds by rolling six 6s in his wound rolls which suuuuucked.

Turn 4 began with us tied on points and we randomly removed an objective from the board before scoring any points which happened to be the one his warlord was standing on. He rushed across the board and pulled off an 11" charge through craters to reach my scarabs. 20 wounds worth of scarabs and I was hoping they could just hold on but they died just like everything else :( . Turn 5 began and we rolled to determine which one the remaining two objectives would be removed and *drumroll* it was sadly not the one his warlord was standing on and so I lost by 10 points.

Game two was the assassinate mission and my brother's Neurothrope was the target. He didn't do a good job screening and the zerkers cut the target down in like round two (maybe 3). The Chaos lord arrived and cleaned house again and the mission was over.

Game three was the sweep and clear mission.
    It had some twists, I screwed up with my skorpekh and they got bogged down with zoanthropes. Both groups would survive until the end. I was dumb and didn't put my scarabs in front of my warriors and he made me pay hitting a 6 damage smite on them. My warlord shot at some hormagaunts on an objective, between his voltaic staff and tesla gained an extra 8 shots, and killed them all leaving nothing for my scarabs to charge :? . Turn two he hit a 6 damage smite AGAIN this time on my warlord, his carnifex and warriors failed to finish him off however and my barge moved in and cleared out the warriors. My scarabs swarmed onto the neurothrope and chipped away a couple wounds. On his turn he smited the scarabs...AGAIN getting a super smite and this time doing only 4 wounds. His carnifex finished off my barge when I failed all four 4+ saves, but I finished off his warlord to finally put an end to the insanity of the warp. His carnifex managed to kill off my scarabs, but it was too late. I had already secured enough VP to hold on and win.

It was a fun evening! I learned that Khorne is not my friend and that a neurothrope who can reroll one of it's dice when casting can be terrifying. Also that a -1 toughness aura is real damn good. Nothing like scarabs wounding on 3's and 4's (and 2's vs those cultists!) if you time your protocol right.

• BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    I fucking love battle reports. They make me want to play all the time.

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
    edited October 2020
    Getting a lot faster now. Got all of the bolters drilled with magnets in. Can probably get all the remaining magnets done tomorrow, finish rest of assembly and be ready to start painting by Monday. Bet the weather goes to shit as soon as I buy paints and stuff.

edit: either that or I just die when it finally sinks in how hard painting these is going to be.

evilbob on
    l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    Looks like those Necron dice might have a hole on the 5 side of each dice. Lots of people confirming it on their set.

Kind of a bummer. At least I didn't order a set to actually play with, just a collector thing.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
    Stragint wrote: »
    Looks like those Necron dice might have a hole on the 5 side of each dice. Lots of people confirming it on their set.

Kind of a bummer. At least I didn't order a set to actually play with, just a collector thing.

How? it just came out today?

Annoyance: unlocking a codex in the app just gives the data sheets with individual rules and separate rule pages for the common rules, with no links or roll-over pop-ups. Also the points seem to be scattered all over with no single page for all options like in the actual codex.

I am covered in plastic but all the magnets are done now. Did not fuck up polarity once. :)

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg