As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Monster Hunter] Game is out and it's real good!!!

• TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    Diablos looks pretty great. Literally everything else looks awful.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • fRAWRstfRAWRst The Seas Call The Mad AnswerRegistered User regular
    hey all!

i started up a new MHFU save on pc with some up res'd textures, been slowly working through village early quests

come say hi if you want!

J3qcnBP.png
  • KamarKamar Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    So...I can't figure out how to attack Raging Brachydios AT ALL with a switch axe solo.

I just literally can't find an opening to hit him. I spend about 80% of my time running after him after he vaults past me, and at best I poke him once with the uppercut poke and that's it.

edit: Downed him with breaks and a tail cut on my third try. What a pain.

Kamar on
  • NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Finally beat Fatalis! The other people in my group carved 3, 2, and 1 Evil Eyes respectively.

I got a rock.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    i just did my first attempt

oh boy

• SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    I wish Guiding Lands Tempered monsters rolled crown sizes a lot more.

Got LGC Namielle when I booted it up again, since then not a whole lot.

I want that Safi layered armor but 10(!?) Research Commision Ticket+ is a lot to ask, there seems to be only 3 events that even drop 1 of these per run and are some nasty shit like Temp Namielle+Temp Kirin.

Sirialis on
  • NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Got my fatalis armor made, boy is this some dumb shit, it even has true spare shot for ranged users.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    Kamar wrote: »
    Wonder if the next MH will make multiplayer with a friend through story a bit less annoying.

It's really jarring now after playing God Eater 3, where you can join a friend's game and proceed through the entire story, with (skippable if you both choose to) cutscenes popping up before or after or in the middle of fights as appropriate, and if you're doing content that's new for you both you both progress.

Specially when they made it so that Kulve Taroth cutscenes can be watched together but then did the same BS of not allowing it once Iceborne quests dropped. I guess it's because they don't want cutscenes to happen mid-mission.

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    So uh, finally got through all of Iceborne and into the Guiding Lands I go, lance at the ready, on the hunt for ever increasing amounts of layered armor.

I guess MH made a fan out of me.

lh07b5e483pm.jpg

• Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    That lance looks gorgeous.

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
    edited October 2020
    I’m still using my Zorah Y layered armor, I like the look of it.

j4r77fr9hiiq.jpeg

My friend wants to beat Alatreon and he is using Insect Glaives but doesnt really know how to spec for it, are there any must have sets for high end Insect Glaives, he’s using a Raging Brachy IG with a mishmash of Frost Barioth, Raging Brachy and Blackveil Vaal Hazaak which I doubt is optimal for Alatreon but I know nothing about IG or what sets he should go for, any ideas?

Sirialis on
    I can't really say, but going blast against Alatreon is not good.

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    That lance looks gorgeous.

Looks better when HDR screenshots don't wash it out, but yeah the Velkhana lance is beautifully designed.

The current plan is to get a Raw/Elderseal lance (unblinking gatekeeper) and a Poison lance (Incessant Wolf) to accompany it. Maybe other elements but why

I was about to ask why it looked like that. If you use the Nvidia overlay for screenshots, it keeps the metadata.

• UrQuanLord88UrQuanLord88 Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Sirialis wrote: »
    My friend wants to beat Alatreon and he is using Insect Glaives but doesnt really know how to spec for it,

Half of the Alatreon fight is getting the knockdowns and the subsequent horn break(s), so elemental damage (ice for Fire mode, fire for Ice mode) is key. IIRC the IG weapon itself isn't all that great for dealing elemental damage but it has been proven that, with the proper kinsect, you can technically solo Alatreon: YMMV, I haven't actually tried this out myself

UrQuanLord88 on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/urquanlord88
    urquanlord88.png
    Streaming 8PST on weeknights
  • Ratsult2Ratsult2 Registered User regular
    It looks like Rise is going to have separate village and hub quests.... but cutscenes are skippable, so the only restriction to join a MP hunt is your rank.

They did mention that it will have a lot of the quality of life features of world (like no paintball/bugs for tracking), but it seems like it was made in tandem with World, and not with World as a base.

kjarr + safi 5 is the best set for anything that can use it for the most part

maybe safi 3/velk with a safi weapon built for element is prob the next bet

GS wants frostcraft

alatreon is weird because you want element to pass the damage but you still need to like kill him, and element is bad at it. you kinda need to thread the needle between raw and element. the more comfortable you are with the fight the less you need.

• NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Ratsult2 wrote: »
    It looks like Rise is going to have separate village and hub quests.... but cutscenes are skippable, so the only restriction to join a MP hunt is your rank.

They did mention that it will have a lot of the quality of life features of world (like no paintball/bugs for tracking), but it seems like it was made in tandem with World, and not with World as a base.

Where'd you see this info?

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
    edited October 2020
    Ratsult2 wrote: »

Source?

Dr. Chaos on
    So tasty is confirmed to be back.

I repeat. This is not a drill. So tasty is back.

(Eurogamer interview)

• SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    Sounds like they modified the armor skill system and it's some kind of mix.

This really excited me

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
    edited October 2020
    Savage Deviljho in a nutshell:

https://youtu.be/TWRjsqoSWTI

Dr. Chaos on
    edited October 2020
    Dreaded doing that Temporal Mantle+ quest (Temp Kirin+Namielle) because fuck Kirin, proceeded to turn a temp Kirin into a fine paste in literally 5 minutes... My gear actually feels a fair deal more powerful than last I dealt with that asshole.

Found out that the USJ event quest gives an odd gem that lets you make a special armor set that shares Silver Rathalos’s set bonusses (which I use for TCE) nice.

Sirialis on
  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    So tasty is confirmed to be back.

I repeat. This is not a drill. So tasty is back.

(Eurogamer interview)

Huzzah! "So tasty" is one of those very small, yet iconic lines I love so much. In the same league as "All systems nominal" for me.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    I hope we lose mantles but get some of those abilities back from generations. I would also love if Rise were made of all new monsters and no “classics”. Mostly because ill break something if end game is teostra, kirin, kushala, and goku again.

• VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Enigmedic wrote: »
    I hope we lose mantles but get some of those abilities back from generations. I would also love if Rise were made of all new monsters and no “classics”. Mostly because ill break something if end game is teostra, kirin, kushala, and goku again.

They've already shown Azurous and both Raths (via armor)...

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Vyolynce wrote: »

Eh, everyone knew the Raths would be in it. Arzuros and Rathian are good fights anyways and I'm happy to have them in. Rathalos can be a dick sometimes. There's a lot of Tri monsters I want back...

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Vyolynce wrote: »

Eh, everyone knew the Raths would be in it. Arzuros and Rathian are good fights anyways and I'm happy to have them in. Rathalos can be a dick sometimes. There's a lot of Tri monsters I want back...

Right (and agreed), I'm just saying they've already shown it won't be all-new.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
  • The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    I'm assuming zam and tetsu well be back given they've shown a new amphibian. Which makes me happy as they're great fights

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    I'm assuming zam and tetsu well be back given they've shown a new amphibian. Which makes me happy as they're great fights

I want Gobul back, but there's no way for it to work without underwater really. I love its armor sets.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »

I want Gobul back, but there's no way for it to work without underwater really. I love its armor sets.

They managed to make Lagiacrus work by effectively turning it into an elder dragon. That probably wouldn't work anywhere near as well for Gobul, though.

I never knew Astera Jerky was a buff that granted added healing... :bigfrown:

Got my level 11 Alatreon DB.

Is Dawn’s Triumph the easier Alatreon quest? I’ve been doing Blazing Black Twilight.

• AretèAretè infiltrating neo zeed compoundRegistered User regular
    G'damn, Fatalis hands down the hardest SoS experience, my goodness. Even with Alatreon, by the end of the first weekend I was reliably joining and clearing SoS hunts.

Bashed my head against it all last weekend, started with lance, then LBG, then HBG then once I had enough mats from attempts/solo runs with plunderblade, I made a mixed a/b set and went back to lance today after taking the week off to recharge.

Full on dont hurt me im baby build, earplugs 5, guard 5, guard up, recovery 3, divine blessing 5 and tool maintainence 5; I drank for safeguard and someone had felyne insurance and still we had only 2 carts left when we finally killed him.

Fun as hell hunt though, outside of a few plain bad groups every fight was a good time even with that hunt fail msg every 20 to 25 minutes lol.

edited October 2020
    dump the earplugs pronto

totally wasted skill real estate, and you need to cram in a ton

get partbreaker, agitator, any kind of damage skill in its place. your defense looks good. maybe pick up 20+ fire res

edit: heavy artillery is a godsend

Elendil on
    For my next attempts I'll be dumping earplugs for sure, I was just at that point where you toss your hands up in the air and go I dunno I guess this will work?

I was able to fit the above in with a hardfire deco so I was good for fire resistance, I'll probably slot in part breaker as I typically dont handle the firepower in the arena. I was taking advantage of my mantles being on rapid cooldown and just getting some spicy grapples in to keep its weak points refreshed and to bop it into walls.

Don't need earplugs when you got a shield.

did the event quest this time and 2nd clear done and dusted ez pz (relatively)

went pb and agitator, might drop recovery up now for a spot of affinity