As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Nintendo Switch] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    I hate trailers like that. I want to see the game, not some dork.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    i want Most Wanted 2012

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    I hate trailers like that. I want to see the game, not some dork.

The primary reason I watch trailers is to get a rare glimpse of total dorks.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    The swimming feels kind of off in Mario 35. Makes me dread the water stages.

• The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    The swimming feels kind of off in Mario 35. Makes me dread the water stages.

I don't know if it's a feature or a bug or if I'm just missing something. But at the start of a water level, the swimming is absolutely off. It's much faster, probably the same speed as Mario running on the ground. Like there's no water physics slowing you down. Until you get half way, then the regular Mario water physics kick in and you slow right down and feel like "normal" Mario swimming physics. Given the faster pace the game is (supposed) to be, I initially assumed the faster swimming was normal. But then I don't know why it snaps back after a while.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • RehabRehab Registered User regular
    Kupi wrote: »
    When I played my first game of Super Mario Bros. 35, I said to myself, "I am not going to be that guy who gets killed by the first Goomba."

I strode with confidence, jumped, hit the coin block and faceplanted straight into it.

._.

You can see that in action at about 1:50 here.

https://youtu.be/NvoTnzayWNA

NNID: Rehab0
  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Was it possible to high bounce off enemies in the original super Mario bros on NES? I didn't think you could.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
    I saw a post somewhere of differences in Mario 35, they said Mario runs slower and can high bounce more easily off enemies. I think you could before but the timing was harder.

This also might explain why swimming feels like running speed.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    Was it possible to high bounce off enemies in the original super Mario bros on NES? I didn't think you could.

I don't think you can, I also noticed that as well.

3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
    120 shines to go with my 120 stars! Now on to Galaxy.

I don't get the disdain for Sunshine. The moveset feels good, especially in the no-FLUDD levels. And it then feels like god mode when you re-enter them with the hover nozzle. The only big problems are mopping up blue coins after you have found most of them (something like Odyssey's map interface would entirely fix that) and a small handful of isolated shine minigames that are disproportionately hard/unfair, like Pachinko. But those warts don't dominate the overall package and it was a damn relief to be able to actually control the camera after playing 64 again.

jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Discovered my kid doesn't like me doing exercises/fighting in RingFit.
    Only running.
    I'm going to die.

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    I actually just started playing Galaxy. When it's fun, it's fun, but when it gets hard, good lord, 0 to 60 real quick.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    How does level selection in M35 work? I’ve been stuck on trying to progress past 3-3 on the selection screen for ages, and even when there’s only two or three players left it still seems to be an endless cycle of 1-X levels.

MhCw7nZ.gif
    JonBob wrote: »
    The only big problems are mopping up blue coins after you have found most of them (something like Odyssey's map interface would entirely fix that)

I saw these maps of the blue coin locations a few days ago and it came fludding back how much of a nightmare they were. Seems like every other one is some sort of mini-achievement, kill this guy, spray this thing. Some coins randomly not available in certain scenarios. What a terrible design decision.

How does level selection in M35 work? I’ve been stuck on trying to progress past 3-3 on the selection screen for ages, and even when there’s only two or three players left it still seems to be an endless cycle of 1-X levels.

The way it works is, every player chooses one level they have access to. The game stacks these levels end-to-end to make up a queue of 35 levels for everyone to play through, which I assume wraps around back to the beginning. Since most players A) are new to the game, B) don't know what level selection does and just pick whatever, or C) enjoy easy levels, most levels are going to be 1-1 or 1-2.

I think the level-sorting algorithm tends to start the game with one of the earliest levels it can find, and also tries to alternate levels rather than putting 1-1 back-to-back. So your level "map" might look like 1-1...1-2...1-1...1-3...1-2...1-1...2-3...1-2...1-4, etc.

Warp zones actually skip through this queue. Beating 1-2 normally takes you to the next level in order, but the warp zone skips 3, 2, or 1 levels (in reverse order like the original game).
    AlldFA9.png
    If you are trying to reach a personal goal of beating your next level in order to unlock later levels, you should ALWAYS take warp zones in the hopes of finding the later level you picked. Take 1-2 if it's available, as far left as possible, so you can get another warp zone pick. If 1-2 is not available go in the leftmost pipe. This way you're cycling through the level queue as quickly as possible.

• Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    That warp zone thing is very useful to know. I thought it was just picking 3 random levels. I didn't realise there was an order to it.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • T-DangerT-Danger Registered User regular
  • RehabRehab Registered User regular
    That warp zone thing is very useful to know. I thought it was just picking 3 random levels. I didn't realise there was an order to it.

Getting to the warp zones and choosing where you go next is great! I have definitely used that to my advantage to try and go into the best levels to add time or coins to my totals, or get into a level that will send a lot of annoying enemies to other people.

NNID: Rehab0
  • skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
    edited October 2020
    Treehouse Live tomorrow at 10 AM pacific

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlA1YxQAO6M

skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • jergarmarjergarmar hollow man crew goes pew pew pewRegistered User regular
    You all are hot on NFS Hot Pursuit and I'm just over here doing the trashy F2P thing with Asphalt 9. Although A9 does do the 4-player local splitscreen multiplayer. Any idea if NFS supports that?

When I was a child, I had a fever...
    jswidget.php?username=jergarmar&numitems=7&text=none&images=small&show=hot10&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
    My BoardGameGeek profile
    Battle.net: TheGerm#1430 (Hearthstone, Destiny 2)
  • JazzJazz Registered User regular
    jergarmar wrote: »
    You all are hot on NFS Hot Pursuit and I'm just over here doing the trashy F2P thing with Asphalt 9. Although A9 does do the 4-player local splitscreen multiplayer. Any idea if NFS supports that?

Not sure, but if it's splitscreen multiplayer you're after, check out Sega Ages Virtua Racing. That sucker does 8-player split. On one Switch.

Nope, multiplayer is online only

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA

How do you like it? I've been intrigued by it. I heard that it's a pretty exploitive F2P model until you buy some sort of starter pack, and then it's a reasonably good game with just that one purchase?

• -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    That was a nice birthday surprise - the Signature Edition of Dead Cells I ordered arrived.

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    https://www.amazon.com/Mario-Kart-Live-Circuit-Mario-Nintendo/dp/B08H9KGMWK/

Mario Kart Live was up on Amazon for a whole 2 minutes and sold out.

• Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    Is anyone else still playing Origami King? I'm getting to it kind of late I think. Two streamers left to go (I'm at the great ocean section) and I'm feeling kind of burnt out on the somewhat tedious combat.

This is the first Paper Mario game that has ever really grabbed me, though, with the others (like Colour Splash) I've only ever put a couple of hours into and lost all interest, so it has that going for it at least. :)
    Still very much a 7.5 rating kind of game though, only really saved by the quality and charming quirkyness of the writing. Glad I bought it second hand and not at full price.

|Ko-Fi Me! ☕😎|NH844lc.png | PSN | chi-logo-only-favicon.png(C.H.I) Ltd. |🏳️⚧️♥️
    I finished the ocean stuff and kind of put it aside. I actually haven't turned my switch on for a while now. Ended up getting Game Pass Ultimate and going through some horror games in the spirit of the season.

edited October 2020

How do you like it? I've been intrigued by it. I heard that it's a pretty exploitive F2P model until you buy some sort of starter pack, and then it's a reasonably good game with just that one purchase?

Okay, then, quick review of Asphalt 9.

I would absolutely NOT say it's unusually exploitive; to the contrary, I think it's quite generous. I was actually expecting to need to spend a bit of money to get started, but I haven't needed to. I haven't even needed to spend the free premium currency that I've been building up. You have different "classes" of cars, starting with "D", each car has it's own recharge timer, and the higher classes have longer recharge timers. But "D" cars have 6 plays each, with a 2-minute recharge timer, that recharge refills ALL of the plays for that car, and I have 8 cars already, so they are effectively unlimited to use.

But your progression is blocked a few ways. "Event" races have a limited number of tickets that recharge over time, and the "Career chapters" are unlocked by winning races or unlocking cars, and you'll need to keep upgrading your cars to stay competitive. Also, if a chapter needs a "B" car, and you use up the plays, that car takes 30 minutes to recharge. Though once those chapters are unlocked, you can replay them all you want (and give "credit" rewards, which you need for upgrades). And there are a TON of chapters and races, though they are all variants and pieces of 7 large courses, so you'll see the same scenery a lot. There's also a few modes for these races, most being straightforward races against 5 other cars, but also police "getaway" chases, and solitary time trials.

The style of game is pretty consistently arcade-style instead of sim-style, and realistic visuals rather than cartoony. There's a lot of game around managing your "boost" bar, gained by drifting, or doing midair stunts off the numerous ramps. There's also a lot of ways to "takedown" other cars. Crashing will cause you to respawn but lose time. Most races are short, like 30 to 120 seconds. It's easy to learn but tough to master, so my 6, 7, and 8-year-old can play and not be frustrated, but in equally-ranked cars I'm obviously going to beat them soundly. There's even a drive mode that basically drives the car for you, though not very well. I never have it on, but I've heard it can be useful if you're just grinding easy races for the credits.

The game is pretty much online only... with the notable exception of "quick play" and splitscreen multiplayer. Though I did have good success on a car ride, by tethering to my phone.

Multiplayer is a mode, and works well, but you don't have much control over it. You just choose a car and it drops you into a random race map. It's also where, obviously, your success is dependent on how much you've upgraded your cars, so early on you won't be able to make much headway, and, as I've said, the more powerful classes of cars have longer recharge timers. But even if you're in last place, you'll make progress towards your daily multiplayer rewards.

The trap of the game (as with most F2P) is getting obsessed with progression. There will be times when your career progression is blocked because you don't have a particular car, or because the cars you have aren't fast enough. But if you can just focus on daily rewards, daily/weekly event races, upgrading only when you need to, replaying unlocked races (which gives credits), and even a bit of "energy management" (like playing better cars first, then D-class races, then your better cars will have recharged), then there really is a ton of content. And I have kids in my house that like to play it, so every car I unlock is just one more car for them to choose from in local multiplayer. And I can even handicap myself with a weaker car. Overall, it's a pretty big win for me, I certainly think it's worth trying out.

EDIT: Oh, almost forgot about the "club" feature. You can be in a group with other players, which gives decent rewards if the other players play with any regularity. Almost everything you do gives "club rep", so unless you're in a highly competitive club, you can just do your regular daily stuff and it contributes to club rewards.

EDIT2: I was trying to figure out what one-time purchase might be appropriate for this game. Getting a class "A" car can be a bit of a pain, unlocks several event races, and is potentially cheap. Found a $1 "package" in the shop that did just that. As usual, it's good practice to only spend real money if it helps you to regularly get more resources, improving progression in the long term.

jergarmar on
    jswidget.php?username=jergarmar&numitems=7&text=none&images=small&show=hot10&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
    My BoardGameGeek profile
    edited October 2020
    Wow, very in-depth. It sure sounds pretty decent for being a free game. I liked Asphalt since the first game way back on the DS, and heard later entries weren't bad either. Might have to download it.

EDIT: I'm watching a review from a year ago and it says the recharge times on even the earliest cars are 10 to 15 minutes. I wonder if they reduced the timers at some point to make the game more attractive and easier to get into.

The ramp spinning/trick gameplay reminds me a lot of Excite Truck.

UncleSporky on
    Wow, very in-depth. It sure sounds pretty decent for being a free game. I liked Asphalt since the first game way back on the DS, and heard later entries weren't bad either. Might have to download it.

I have a BIT of tolerance for the F2P genre, and I'm not averse to a one-time purchase if I think the game is good enough. With Asphalt 9, I'm not even sure yet what that purchase would be. There's just so much to do early on. Oh, and for perspective, I have 16 cars, and I'm close to getting my first "A" class car (there's also "S" class beyond that).

For comparison, I've also played Super Kirby Clash, and it was pretty clear early on that in that F2P game, spending ~$3 was about right, unlocking plenty of stuff and making progression easier. I really do think there's a "new generation" of F2P games, that basically function as "pay for what you want", and deemphasize trapping you into paying for effectively the same thing over and over.

My BoardGameGeek profile
    edited October 2020
    EDIT: I'm watching a review from a year ago and it says the recharge times on even the earliest cars are 10 to 15 minutes. I wonder if they reduced the timers at some point to make the game more attractive and easier to get into.

Oh dang, you're right! 6 months ago or so. https://www.reddit.com/r/Asphalt9/comments/fin5he/did_they_dramatically_reduce_the_tank_refill_times/

jergarmar on
    My BoardGameGeek profile
  • swaylowswaylow Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »

Wow. Fast enough that none of my in-stock alerts got sent out. I am still somewhat hopeful it will be reasonable to find on the actual release day.

John Wick Hex coming December 4th

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFSHzMrvXnM

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
    I like the concept of the gameplay being shown, but it looks like it performs really badly, even in spite of the less taxing aesthetic. :(

John Wick doesn't look great either.

Feels like an amateur studio trying to punch too high above its weight.

I bet it looks way better on your own Switch/TV. It has to slow everything down based on the timers and stuff so maybe it just doesn't transfer well into video.

In any case it looks great and it looks unique.

• shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Based on the PC version, the animations spoil the experience too badly for me to play it. I'd suggest everyone go watch a video review before impulse buying.

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular

That sure is a Nintendo physical release right there.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
    Based on the PC version, the animations spoil the experience too badly for me to play it. I'd suggest everyone go watch a video review before impulse buying.

Game isn't out for 8 more weeks though or am I missing something?

It's been out for a while on PC.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
    skeldare wrote: »

It's been out for a while on PC.

Oh I checked Steam and it says Dec. I keep forgetting about the other stores lol