As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[D&D 5E] Whispered Curse, Day 23- Undead Siege

1568101153

Posts

  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    [Michael, later that evening, inside the Kitchen of The Curse...]

    Arabella smiles, doesn't press the point further with Michael- ruefully, she probably appreciates you non-answer. "Thanks for your candor, Chef!" she sarcastically barbs you. Then she leans over, whispers something to just Michael briefly:
    "Think this one's just a pup, otherwise... weirdest thing though, he...just, keep an eye on him, if you can? If I kicked everyone off this crew who wasn't what they said they were, we'd be floating fucking a ghost ship out there...

    "...so , appreciate if you and Bern could see to that when you can. Thank you. *Dismissed, Chef.*"

    Michael departing, she turns to the rest of you. "And you lot...you just brought a beast aboard my ship, right? Well, you'd better have a pretty good fucking reason..?" She puts her hands on her hips.

    [We will wait for Irah, Oak, Arno, and Urixes to decide their encounter at the Schooner, and choose whether or not they have joined the group which headed to the Kitchen of the Curse later that evening]

    mrpaku on
  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    Urixes takes the note in hand and rises to find its sender. Deftly avoiding the drunken chaos, he crosses to the other side of the bar. "What's this about?" he asks, placing the note down.

  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    [URIXES]

    Rax is longued back in his chair, reveling and enjoying his celebrity status among the more easily led. A cloud of exotic smoke sits around the table. Rax scowls at Urixes's brusque forwardness. The other pirates pick up on his mood, turn and give you nasty looks and growl.

    "Don't know if I appecccciate your tone, friend," Rax responds, diplomatically. "That note wassss ssssent in sssecret for a reassaaon. Not ssssure how far you expect to go out there, you look every gift horssse in the mouth..."

    He sips he drink. "...I knew Reynard...been out here nearly assss long assss thisss old lizzzzard hassss...talked to him jussst thissss afternoon, in fact." He looks at Urixes, seems to be summing him up, trying to get a read on him.

    Finally, he shurgs his shoulders, a sort of "sorry you thought I was wrong; sorry if you're offended" gesture. "Heard what happened to him. Damn sssshame...liked him, y'know, for a human. Figured I'd pay the favor forward. Loner like you... it'sssss hard to make it out there, alone." He gives you a toothy, yellow grin. "We all need friendssss, yessssss?" The table is quiet....pirates glare at you with curiosity, hope...a hunger...

    mrpaku on
  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Oak

    Oak sees Raz motion to he and Arno and quiets down immediately. That was not a lizard he wanted to cross. Thankfully there was a distraction, though, it unfortunately seemed to be a painful one. A scream crossed the room, and Oak positioned him to see what was happening.

    He seems the commotion, followed by someone turning into a wolf, a mental note made to find that man another day. Oak's tongue ran over his long fangs and he wondered how this shift would be taken by the crew.

    That thought in mind, he decides that maybe another day is too long. No telling what this crew thinks and Oak had his fair share of abuse from how he looked. He followed the captain as they got the wolf aboard and down below, waiting until the captain addressed them to speak up.

    "Captain, I'll watch out for the lad. I've some familiarity with his kind, and I'll keep 'em in line."

    mrpaku
  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    Urixes narrows his eyes, genuinely unsure of what to make of this situation. "What exactly do you want from me?"

    Geth, roll 1d20 for Insight

    Insight:
    1d20 8 [1d20=8]

  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    [URIXES]

    The Lizardman chuckles...leans his chin against his crossed hands... "An offer of friendsssship! Nosssssing more than an undersssstanding, to watch each other'ssss common interessstss moving forward! Sssssimple, no?"
    Hey man, relax; this is just a nice, outgoing, normal Lizardman! He's just here to make friends, build communities, help make the ship a more friendly, honest place! No worries that (just from what you've seen today) he obviously knew a lot of these guys from before, *especially* the shadier fellas, has Intel he seems to be quietly waving in front of you and some others from the docks, and seems to get the Lizardfolk worked up in very, particularly aggressive ways when he visits their tables. That all being said, you can tell for a fact that he is *one bad dude*. He could potentially make a very powerful ally, or a very dangerous enemy

    mrpaku on
  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    Urixes sighs, too tired from the day and the storm, the loss of life, the uncertain fate of who and what he saw beneath the waves...

    After a while he realizes that he's been staring, silent, not exactly at Rax, but through him. Or past him, perhaps. In any case, Urixes is back in the present, Rax's words coming to him as though he were underwater.

    "The sea can kill us all just fine on her own," he finally says, "No need to make it easier for her." Urixes raises his glass in a mock toast. "To a swift journey."

    mrpaku
  • The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Irah wanders over to where Oak, Urixes and Rax are, giving Oak and Urixes a respectufl nod. Then she just shrugs. "More help is more help. Wrestle with you another time, Oak."

    Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    [OOC: Hey everyone, due to work I won’t be able to play. Bern is an NPC going forward.]

  • zekebeauzekebeau Registered User regular
    Arno smiles brightly "Get some water in the lungs, figure that gets me halfway to being a fish, which'd be a fine trick to pull off one day. For now I can only be things that walk and talk, but tomorrow is another day. Huh, seems my new friends know the lizardfolk as well." Arno shoots a double finger gun and a smile, then a tip of the hat. He'll have to check with them both tomorrow, hopefully Oak is worried for nothing. But then again, she knew better then to let her guard down around a potential predator.

    A howl of pain catches Arno's attention, and sees Jack's shift into wolf form. "Poor guy, nothing more embarrassing than an involuntary transformation." Looking around, the reaction of his crewmates bring into sharp relief that this is more than a faux pas. He rushes over as well, helping to cover the wolf's shame and bring him to the ship.

    "Begging the captain's pardon, but is this really the worst you've seen out of a crewman? Poor guy got hurt, then got furry when passed out. I know after a night of drinking and carousing, I'm a bit fuzzy in the morning too. Both on the face and in the head. Especially in a boat with changelings, shifters, goliaths, kitsune, and who knows how many arcane tricksters, it feels like the number of people that look the same in the morning they do in the evening is ever shrinking. If we're to have a boat so full of so many skin, feather scale, and fur types, it would seem unfair not to let on someone who managed to pull more folks in (with Irah's help) than half the dock accomplished. I heard about the arrow mishap, but in fairness that squall was such that it would be harder to believe he hit someone on purpose than to chalk it up to a mistake.

    I'm sure Jack's no more a danger than anyone who is standing before you right now." Arno looks left, then right. "And I mean that in a way that soothes your concerns."

    mrpakuGlal
  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    ARNO

    The Captain, like many who meet her, is simply incredulous at Arno. Her hardass routine brushed smartly past, she shrugs in defeat; helps set Arno up for the night in a roughly slung hammock in the far corner of the kitchen. Arno is almost immediately sleeping peacefully, undisturbed by the rocking waves, the fraught evening, the new people and circumstances...

    What sort of history brought such a strange, sweet creature to board The Curse?

    BERN and MICHAEL

    Bern and Michael have rousted some of the carpentry crew up grumpily in the night. They’re working together now to gather materials and reinforce the hull. If these gentleman are concerned whether one of the carpenters might be curious, it never comes up. Perhaps they assume, after the storm, it’s simply out of an abundance of caution. Michael helps move materials. Bern, the Old Salt helps supervise while he picks out a haunting melody. Through the hubbub and nailing, Michael and Bern make eye contact with each other, and smile over a shared secret...

    IRAH

    Irah flops fully out onto the bed in her room at the Schooner, draws her hands behind her head. She stares up at the celling, a playful smirk tugging at the edge of her lips. The wind suddenly howls, begins to tug on, snap at the window. Alkono flies over to Irah, stressed, and lands on her shoulder. Irah hushes the bird…begins to stroke it’s head with one hand. Alkono calms, very gently nibbling Irah’s finger, to her great amusement.

    Just who is this brash, boisterous woman, who has the booming and pure laugh, and refuses to back down from any challenge?

    URIXES

    Urixes stands at his window, holding a candle, watching the rain sleet in pounding pellets against the window. The Schooner has begun to quiet down finally…the party beginning to fade. Urixes watches the sea…seeing something there. Something other’s don’t, can’t. It’s like he’s trying to see past a veil, and like a vanishing dream, he can almost hold onto it… he looks out over the water a few seconds more, and then blows out the candle and shuts the curtain.

    What thoughts and desires drive this brooding loner? What compels such a man to help the very people he feels he will always be a stranger to?

    OAK

    The Captain appreciates Oak’s kindness in watching over Jack this evening. In a way Oak immediately picks up on, it’s the answer she was really looking for. There’s a Murphy Bed here in the other corner she sets you up in…err, make that a Murphy Bed, *plus* a bench the two of you drag over. Oak sits up on the bench for a long while after the Captain leaves, arms crossed in front of him, watching over the snoring Arno and comatose Jack. He occasionally will rest his eyes and breathe deeply, purposefully.

    Who is this Beast Man that is both brave and wise, proud and humble; who feels himself alone, but is always among others?

    JACK

    Jack lies out cold in a large pile of blankets and pillows. His chest rises and falls slowly but strongly. Jack’s day had turned out pretty rough, but he had found himself among others, playful others…friends, maybe! People who cared for him, had nursed and protected him, and kept his secret. Soon, Michael would return, and he and Oak would carry Jack safely to the reinforced Hold, his clothes and supplies just outside the door. But for now, Jack slept, and dreamt…

    Who’s a good boy? Who’s a good boy? Is it Jack? Yes it is! Yes, it is!

    mrpaku on
    Glal
  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    EVERYONE

    All levels of exhaustion are immediately cured, as of tomorrow morning's departure

    All PCs and Guests immediately advance to Level 2. Don't roll for HP...assume highest possible result. Please send the new modifications for your character to the DM.

    As well, new additions to the crew must choose from one of the following on-deck entry-level jobs aboard the Whispered Curse: Gunner, Carpenter, Rigger, Striker, Deckhand. These will be: your official jobs on-board, a specifically aligned group of NPCs you have personal knowledge of, and a unique skill-set to learn, all in one. No more than two PCs may choose any one job assignment. New and more specialized jobs likely may and almost certainly will be available as the journey progresses and your character gains new skills/friends/understandings on board the Curse. Please PM your Level 2 specs and job assignments to the DM, when you decide!

    Gunners- Artillery Men; Cannoneers

    Carpenters- Ship Upkeep and Repairs

    Riggers- Sails and the subsequent Ropes, Wires, and Chains to make them work

    Strikers- Hunters; First Line of Defense Against Sea Creatures

    Deckhands- Watch, Cargo; Cleanings and Tarrings; General Work
    [Placeholder: Departure of The Whispered Curse is imminent! This post will eventually be replaced to contain the morning of your departure, some notes on the ship, and the state of affairs aboard. *That* post will be followed by yet another, containing a choice of job assignments aboard ship (consider it choosing an onboard specialty and group of NPCs to be aware of aboard ship). All three should be up today, in between my kid's remote school/home stuff as best I can. This will begin the game proper. In the meantime, you could occupy yourself in various ways, like maybe posting an expository dream your character has this evening...or maybe even taking a look at what your options for advancing to Level 2 look like...]

    mrpaku on
    AustinP0027Glal
  • GlalGlal Registered User regular
    The wolf dreams.

    A wall of water looms and sways, but refuses to fall, the light penetrating a few feet inside, only illuminating some fish before getting consumed by darkness beyond. The darkness pushes closer, then pulls back, revealing a dark shape sitting in the water beyond, both close and far, both large and small. Despite now sitting in the light the shape itself is darkened, its black silhouette broken up by a row of grinning teeth. Or perhaps two rows.

    The scowling captain points to the half-elf getting eaten by a giant frog, "You let the frogs out again! What did I say about responsibility?" She ties some rope around her waist, then stabs an arrow into her shoulder and dives into the mouth of the frog that's now grown to the size of a small house.

    The room is loud and rowdy, full of exciting sights and laughing people. The room is loud and rowdy, full of scary sights and frightening people. There's loud cheering as someone loses at arm wrestling, their arm slammed against the table and collapsing into a pile of cards. A four-eyed osprey perches on the back of a chair, "There you are, pup. Don't forget your snack!" It holds a pinkie in its beak, then tosses it in the air.

    zekebeaumrpakuAustinP0027
  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    [The Striker positions onboard have been fully filled! One Carpenter position remains!]

  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    FAR AESTON- MORNING ABOARD “THE WHISPERED CURSE”

    Morning has broken. Birds cry out. The docks hum with activity once again. Many workers from the city are here, placing temporary walkways, clearing wreckage, making repairs. From everywhere around Far Aeston, pirates, sailors, and seamen slowly stream aboard The Curse.

    The Captain and First Mate are meeting and assigning crew on the Forecastle Deck. The Quartermaster and her Bo’sun are taking final inventory, doing last minute checks. Everywhere you look, you see familiar faces from yesterday bustle about the ship. The Fox Crew can be seen working with their different teams. Michael and a Halfling (who is currently sucking a mango) walk by in the middle of a vigorous discussion about sautéing. Bern and an Eladrin with a haunting voice are playing an old standard from just under the Main Mast.

    Jack's hand is wrapped firmly, and he was let out by Oak this morning. Arno has just joined them both up on deck. Urixes and Irah have arrived onboard just in time to see a scene begin to take place behind them.

    From the Pleasure Craft, an entourage has emerged and is making a beeline over towards The Curse. Nearly all of these men are soldiers from the City. They’re escorting a group of VIPs. You don’t recognize any of the VIPs, but you *do* recognize the three soldiers who make up the Governor’s Honor Guard. They are all undoubtedly sons of Mr. Edgar.

    And then, the Governor himself.

    ekiri4e1bea5.png

    Governor Robert Mitchum is terrifying. He seems to glide menacingly, feet never appearing to touch the ground under his expensive, billowing black jacket. His glasses are heavily darkened. Reportedly, it’s against the glare of the sun due to a light sensitivity. But it gives you an unsettling feeling…like maybe he’s watching you right now, or maybe there’s nothing under the lenses at all.

    These people are all coming aboard The Curse.

    Anxious whispers and murmuring breaks out among the crew. It seems a few people knew about this, but rather a lot didn’t, and more than a few of both groups are calling bullshit (although not anywhere within hearing distance of the Governor or his entourage). The Captain hands off assignment duties to her First Mate…walks over to greet the Governor.

    “Governor Mitchum,” she nods respectfully. “We have your area of the ship prepared. The crew have been warned not to cross the red paint line. So, I believe we should have everything in order then?”

    The Governor nods, a man used to having others accommodate him. Stepping aside, he briefly introduces the other VIPs.

    “Marlowe the Magnificent,” he says, indicating to the wizardly looking gentleman, who effusively comes forward and shakes the Captain’s hand. “Iron Mike,” the Governor indicates (with a certain amount of verbal eye-roll) to the wiry looking Gnome, who begins asking fifty questions about the ship and pumps the Captain’s fist violently until she has to wrench it away.

    “And *you* found the map?” The Captain asks Marlowe pointedly.

    “Tech’ni’cally, *I* did!” says Mike helpfully. “Was doing experiments on tide lines when I found the bottle.”

    “I see. Governor…” The Captain cuts herself off mid-sentence. “Who in the fuck is that?”

    cvo66ik2rbwi.png

    The Governor shakes his head. “*Language*, Captain Arabella. This is my daughter, Constance. With her is her cat. She calls it….”Pretty Kitty”. She will be escorting us on our journey. She has taken ill of late, and the journey will help her constitution. My men will watch after her. She will be no concern or consideration of yours, or your crew’s.”

    “No fucking kids,” says Captain Arabella, plainly and without emotion.

    The Governor sighs, annoyed. “Captain, I appreciate your concern, but *I* am her father, and *I* know what’s best for her. She will never leave the sight of my guards, and I appreciate your concern. This is also not a discussion. My daughter *will* be accompanying us.”

    “No fucking kids,” she repeats.

    “…Captain Arabella, I get the sense that we are about to come to an unfortunate and unpleasant renegotiation of our terms. Am I to understand you are about to make things unpleasant?”

    HAAAAAA!”

    The raspy, rude laugh cuts out through the noise across the entire ship. Heads all turn. Swinging down on a line from the Fore Mast, Rax lands noisily on the deck amongst a group of pirates, who immediately give him space. Rax stands to his full height dramatically, the hooded cloak from last night gone in favor of the full Scallywag attire. “Well, I ssssink we’d all hate to have to sssssee *you* become unpleassssant, Mitchum.”

    The Governor’s head swivels in obviously surprised disgust between Rax and The Captain. “We had a specific agreement that the rotten bastard wouldn’t be part of the crew. *A specific agreement*!”

    The Captain slowly nods, agreeably. “We did,…we did, at that!” The Captain turns to the little girl and smiles genuinely. “Welcome aboard, dear. Please keep yourself safe, and if you need anything, please let me know.” Then she turns back to the Governor. “…guess we just renegotiated! And for next time…the Captain is a “need-to-know” individual. So, say you have information that effects this voyage and my crew, like the fact that HALF THE FUCKING MAP IS MISSING?” She lets the sentence hang in the air for a minute. Then she shoots up an accusatory finger at Mitchum. “DO. NOT. FUCK ME. Again.” And Captain Arabella walks away.

    As she departs, you can all hear Marlowe the Magnificent whisper to Iron Mike, “…but, how did she know?”

    mrpaku on
  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    DEPARTURE OF THE WHISPERED CURSE

    Anchor is pulled up. The ship begins to slip away. Crowds line up along the healthy ends of the docks, waving the ship off. Cheers and cries can be heard from the distance. The VIPs and soldiers disappear below decks. The Captain takes the Wheel, as the riggers begin to throw open the sails…

    Valtari approaches Captain Ari from behind, respectfully. “Cap’n Ari….that seemed to go….well?”

    Captain Arabella laughs. “Oh no….oh no, Val,….I’m worried this isn’t going to go well…at all….”

    Valtari nods in understanding. “…anything we can doo’, Cap’n?”

    Captain Ari looks out over her crew…the disappearing soldiers…and then the group of Arno, Oak, Jack, Irah, and Urixes. “No, Valtari…I think we’ve done all we can, now…RAISE THE SAILS!” she yells heartily.

    Slowly, lurchingly, The Whispered Curse pulls away from the docks, the crowds, the city of Far Aeston…into the Expanse…into the Great Unknown….



    roughly three days later...

    CARPENTERS

    l3sadmwlwz0d.png

    “…so, as ye’ken see, Carpen’try’s really the backbone of the whole endeavor, “ booms Aloysius, as quietly as he can. “These railings will always need re’peared! These boards will always need re’placed! There’s no inch eh’ this ship, nary a space aboard, ye’ won’t bea’com highly en’ en’timitamly familiar weth, come the end’ dis voyage!” He pats the railing like an old friend. “Ye’ er’r heard bout the Ship o’ THEseus? Every time I fix a timber, notice a ripped line…,” the Gentle Goliath’s laugh BOOMS across the deck.

    “An eh’ course ya know…Tha Curse is special! The Expanse has et’s bubble…*we hev ours! Tah protect us!* The Cap’s Stone causes a paling o’er the entirety of the ship, as’n I’m sure you’ve all’en been told. As long as we stay aboard the Curse….to the bes’ o’ my understanding….we’re more or less protected from the Expanse’s…” Aloysius trails off, seems to be looking for the words….”…*Strangeness*.”

    A random sailor raises his hand. “Are you saying the waters out there are so weird, we can’t even go for a swim?”

    “…OH NO, nonono…ye’ken go fer a swim, jest fine! Ye’ jest….well, jest be careful bout falling en’, al’rit?”

    Carpenters, please roll a 1d20-1 for “Swing Hammer, Bang Nail”. Jack, please make that a 1d20-3

    STRIKERS

    3byy4mfd4d2l.png

    “…and as has been by now clearly demonstrated, we, are, the best! The true *backbone*, of the whole endeavor!” shouts Killian, military-instructor-style. “No hunters in the *whole world* can compare to the fisherman-warriors of the Twilight Expanse, because none of them have ever learned to fish the *Weird Waters*. OBSERVE.”

    Killian hoists a javelin tied with fishing line, wrapped around ancient, calloused hands. He indicates to a nearby swimming school of tuna…you can see he’s pointing to a straggler. With a quick *HUP* he pitches the javelin directly at the tuna…this should *certainly* be a direct hit…the javelin slides into the water… and then suddenly shunts off two feet to the left of the tuna, spooking it, but letting it escape to join it’s school again. Confused whispers fall among the new Strikers, as the vets nod at each other in remembrance. Killian pulls back his javelin and shoulders it, staring out over the new recruits in something falling directly between pity and fatherly love.

    “Before your term of service with me is done…you will know the Weird Waters. You will hunt the giant beasts. You will take trophies from Gods of the Sea,…and you will watch your fellow mates flounder, and be taken as bait… You will learn of things that bind Ocean and Man that no other place, will ever teach you.”

    “…Also,” follows Killian, “These fellas needs to eat!...Y’all ever tasted what Michael downstairs can do with a Giant Squid?”

    Strikers, please roll a 1d20-1 for “Fishing on the Weird Waters”

    mrpaku on
  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Oak

    The Bear Shifter stood with arms crossed, listening intently to the large Goliath. This wasn't his first go on a ship, so he was already aware of the importance of the different jobs you filled on a ship.

    Still, this particular ship seemed a little odder than most, so he decided that perhaps he would pay a little extra attention.

    Geth, roll 1d20-1 for Hammer Time

    Hammer Time:
    1d20-1 16 [1d20=17]

    mrpaku
  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Oak
    This certainly isn't your first go round on a ship... and, subsequently, you realize something strange as you complete your practiced maintenance and repair tasks. The boards fall into sequence where they should properly be, almost effortlessly... and kick if they turn sideways. Nails fall into place and slide down properly, unless not hit precisely, in which case they rocket like projectiles out of their carved homes. There is a strange and constant magic that holds this transitory place together, keeps every bit of it whole, and protected.

    mrpaku on
  • zekebeauzekebeau Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Morning Aboard:

    After a lovely rest, Arno is ready to set off. He finds Black tooth Bart and Twitchy Joe moving slow, clearly the worse for the evening. "Good morning! You two look like you had a fun night." At the obvious winces of pain, Arno reaches into a pocket "Here, chew this gurnish bark, it'll help you get straight again." With some old wives cures on had, the two start to get some additional color in their face. "Hey, care to share a bit about Rax? He seems to have created quite a stir last night."

    Shortly after, the Governor comes aboard, and the tension sets Arno's fur on end. Wait, fur? Arno focuses within, and feels a wild stirring. Ha, drinking all that seawater really did help him get closer to being a fish. Or maybe it was hanging out with Jack so long. Maybe it was Oak? Who cares, there are more forms and experiences to explore.

    Arno is so enamored with the possibilities, she forgets about the clear power struggle occurring on the deck. Until young Pretty Kitty is introduced. "Now there is someone worth knowing," Arno thinks "I may just have to stretch out the claws and see if she's in the mood to tell tales. And if not, guess I can snatch up any stray rats, need to keep the ship healthy after all."
    OCC: As a druid of the Shepard, I can speak with animals at anytime. It's not clear about the effect of shapeshifting, but I was thinking I'd still be able to speak to an animal as long as I was in the same or similar form. So as a cat, could still speak cat. And maybe a panther could still talk lion or tiger, but doubt he could talk house cat. That ok?

    At Striker training:

    Arno picks up a spear, hefting the weapon. Not her favorite, but predator needs to hunt prey. Arno looks out at the school, keen eyes sighting someone else also looking for a meal. "Hey, Mr. Sailfish? If you can crowd those tuna tighter, I'll wound a couple to make easy prey for you. Then we can both eat a bit, sound good?"

    Hoping it does, Arno lets the spear fly.

    Geth roll 1d20-1 for fishing

    Edit:
    "Hmmm, maybe that is a Ms. Sailfish. I'll need to mind my manners better" Arno thinks.

    fishing:
    1d20-1 9 [1d20=10]

    zekebeau on
  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    ARNO

    The young girl on-deck that morning looks frightened, small...she quakingly pets the small cat in her arms. The cat perks up it's ears, and looks over at Arno, it's nose twitching...

    [Arno can speak to this particular animal if she can roll a 13 or better Wisdom check]

    Striker Training, 3 days later:

    "Y'missed again, little one! If I didn't know better, I'd say you didn't want to hit any of em' at all!..."

    mrpaku on
  • zekebeauzekebeau Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Geth roll 1d20+3 for what's up pussycat?

    Edit: Arno gives a disinterested side look, universal to all felines to mean "let's meet when it's dark".

    That evening, at the darkest hour, pretty kitty prowls the deck, to meet an orange tabby who asks "so, first time on a boat?"

    what's up pussycat?:
    1d20+3 19 [1d20=16]

    zekebeau on
  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    ARNO

    The cat's yellow eyes glare brightly right into Arno's. Pretty Kitty doesn't have to say anything at all- her eyes do all the talking...
    DON'T DO IT
    b3qzy3a807ub.png
    YOU HAD BEST STAY AWAY
    aman9zhd6d2z.png

  • The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Irah heads to take her turn at throwing the javelin to hunt, and hurls it with reckless abandon!

    (Using reckless attack to attack fishes with advantage. Also, shouldn't we get our prof+str bonus on this? Even if it's penalised by -1?)

    Geth roll 1d20-1
    Geth roll 1d20-1

    1d20-1 5 [1d20=6]
    1d20-1 16 [1d20=17]

    Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    IRAH

    As the strikers around her patiently wait for their perfect moment, Irah begins to non-stop fling her portion of javelins hand-over-fist into the school of fish. Killian rushes over to correct her when he sees her haste.

    "Nah, nah, not like that! It takes finesse! You need to take...huh...huh?" Killian looks on curiously as Irah rolls in her lines, 3/5 of which contain one or more cod stuck on them. "Well then..." says Killian. "...yes! Like that!"

  • GlalGlal Registered User regular
    The morning after

    The wolf, whose nightly whines, kicks and sleep running managed to shove the covers right off by morning, slowly begins to shift once first light hits, a stray ray of sunlight across Jack's face waking him up.

    He blinks, trying to get his head in order. Did he... Had they... With a pained wince he lifts his left hand. So that happened. Turning his head he spots the sleeping Oak, wheels turning in his head. Well, they didn't kill him while he was out, so that has to count for something, right? He quickly fishes out a pair of pants before the other wakes up, two leggers seem to have a thing against nudity.

    "...so we're aboard the Curse, are we? I'd best say hello then." Placing a palm on a wooden beam the youth grins, "Hey girl. You take care of me and I'll take care of you, yeah?" Having spent most of his thinking life onboard ships he's stumbled across every possible piece of sailor superstution and collected them all dutifully.


    Shop class

    Jack is looking pretty excited at all the tools around them, apparently eager to lose another digit. He's half-listening to Aloysius, too busy nicking himself on the blade of a saw.

    He regains some focus when the goliath talks about fixing the ship, he did promise he'd take care of her after all! Having (again) forgotten about his injury he swings the hammer mightily!

    Geth, roll 1d20-3 for Careless Hammer Swing

    Careless Hammer Swing:
    1d20-3 2 [1d20=5]

  • GlalGlal Registered User regular
    ((OOC: That's it, I'm changing my icon))

    The Zombie PenguinAustinP0027mrpaku
  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    JACK

    Jack gets down on one knee and sets up to pound in a pre-placed board. He connects once, twice...*swings*...and the nail shoots like a popped cork out across the deck. People duck and dodge out of the way, as the shot nail imbeds itself into a railing on the other side of the ship.

    The carpenter crew all turn in unison to look at Jack. The looks that paint their faces are equal parts "how did you do that? why would you do that?". Aloysius, a keen observer of the classroom setting, wanders over to see what's going on. Amid whispers of "He's a bad omen","Seen what he did to Steve's arm?", "Heard something weird happened during that knife game" he waves his arms around to stifle the chatter.

    "Al'reet, Al'reet, ya jokers...stop giving the new guy a'har time. From what I'd heard, he saved bout ten, twelve o'yer crewman himself, ta'other night. 'Steada givin' him shit ya should be callin' him lucky..."Lucky Jack"!", Aloysius roars at his own cleverness, claps Jack on the back nearly hard enough to knock him over. "Now watch...ya'see how Oak lays the board? Ya'see how the ship sorta...coaxes it? Encourages him? This ship wants to be whole, she wants to be loves and cared for...an she can feel yer effort, understand? Less' try"

    Aloysius motions to Jack to grab the next long 2x4. Together, they drag it into place, go to secure it tightly...and the board pops out, like a magnet forced by an opposing pole. The board bangs along the deck as Aloysius rubs his chin. "... Damnedest...al'rit, less try again!". Again they attempt to place the 2x4, again it snaps back powerfully...this time, Aloysius tries to hold it down by sheer bodily force...this works for one full second, before the board springs back with like a bang, *pops* Aloysius in the eye and bangs across the deck. Men rush forward to help, as a swaying and hands across face Aloysius waves them away.

    "Fine, s'fine! I'm fine!" The goliath takes his hand away from an already purpleing eye. "S'jest... sometimes the ship needs time ta'get to know someone, ya? Happens. No worries... Jack...for now, how'bet you jest watch from back here, observe form...hold my hammer?" Aloysius goes to hand Jack his hammer. As he hands it off, Jack notices an obvious wince from the goliath, as if he expects this simple act may similarly go wrong. You hear the words "Lucky Jack" being ruefully exchanged among the carpentry crew.

    mrpaku on
    Glal
  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    [Everyone has just gained a level of proficiency in their on-board assignment. Everyone (except Urixes) should be fully caught up to date: that date being, Day 3 of your voyage, actively working at your jobs right now. As we wait for Urixes to get a chance to catch up, everyone please take a break from your job, stretch your legs, get a snack and/or go see one another. Also, as your character looks out over the Ocean, please give me a Perception roll: winner gets to lead off the next segment]

    DM Note: A ship's map is coming soon! I tried to find a good stand in, but nothing fully worked for me, so I'm drawing it! You guys are currently aboard a 60 man, custom sloop-of-war

    mrpaku on
  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Oak

    Oak approaches Jack as the day ends. He ignores the eyes of any of the fellow crew looking at him as he approaches the other man, caring little for what the other sailors thought of someone willfully engaging with 'Lucky Jack'. "How's it goin there, Jack?" The big barbarian leans himself against the railing near the other Shifter. "Never got a chance to check in with ya after that night." He doesn't bother explaining what night he was referring to, it would be obvious to both of them. He felt a bit of kinship to the other man, tied to the changes that Jack goes through, something similar to what Oak experiences from day to day, especially when he finds himself in extreme situations.

    OOC:I'm assuming at this point that everyone knows everyone's names at a minimum, so we don't need to do the "Hi, I'm X" conversations.

    Edit: Insert SpaceBallsWeDon'tSeeShit.gif

    Geth, roll 1d20+2 for What's that over the Bow?

    What's that over the Bow?:
    1d20+2 6 [1d20=4]

    AustinP0027 on
  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    OOC: Correct. Your PCs are all somewhere between roughly and personally aware of the other PCs at this point; *at least* on a first name basis, if not necessarily a friendly one.

  • The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Geth roll 1d20-1 for perception

    perception:
    1d20-1 10 [1d20=11]

    Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • zekebeauzekebeau Registered User regular
    Geth roll 1d20+5 for perception

    perception:
    1d20+5 8 [1d20=3]

  • GlalGlal Registered User regular
    Jack yelps in surprise, pulling his head between his shoulders as the nail just barely misses him, head slooooowly turning to see it deeply embedded in a railing behind him. "Um. Sorry!" He yells out to the crew looking his way, then looks the hammer over with a quizzical expression.

    Listening to the Goliath he follows instructions with a bit more attention this time, growing visibly frustrated at repeat failures. A poor craftsman blames his tools and he is so blaming his tools! That hammer has it in for him. He'd introduced himself to the ship and everything, she has no reason to dislike him!

    When dimissed the young man deflates, "Oh, okay... I'll be right there if you need me!" He takes the hammer and, oblivious to reactions from both Aloysius' and the rest of the crew sits himself on a nearby crate, looking the hammer over. He's not acquired any hammer superstitions in his time, but there's always time.

    Every now and then there's a pained grunt from his direction as he forgets about the injury and leans on his left hand.


    He looks painfully bored by day's end and brightens up at the approachinng Oak, "Heya! I'm not half bad." Pause. "Well, aside from all this..." He waggles the hammer in the general direction of the bit of deck he'd been trying to repair earlier, but the sour mood only lasts seconds before he's back to his normal self, listening as Oak continues.

    "Oh, right!" He lifts his left hand and there's a tiny bit of wiggle to what little remains of his bandaged pinkie, "Seems to be healing pretty well! Thanks for, you know, taking care of me that night and all. Most folks, well..." In a lowered voice, trying to look inconspicuous and instead looking incredibly shady to anyone looking on, "They don't take too kindly to the likes of me. Can't say I blame 'em, I am pretty scary." Confident grin.

    Geth, roll 1d20+3 for Testing If Jack Can Roll Double Digits Today

    Testing If Jack Can Roll Double Digits Today:
    1d20+3 17 [1d20=14]

  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Oak

    A small chuckle escapes Oak's lips. Seems like Jack was keeping in high spirits regardless of how the past couple days had been treating him. "You can ignore that lot completely." Oak motions his head towards the group that keeps tossing glances their way. "You never escape finding fools who treat what you are as an affliction instead of just a fact of life. Take a look 'round the ship. All the mixes of folks here, don't make much sense for them to single any one out, yet, they always do."

    Oak turns and rests his hands on the railing of the ship. "This be a strange ship, Jack. Crew included. They should be keeping their eyes on the waters, instead of on each other. I'm not sure what that map business was all about, but having Rax on board along with the Governor means we signed up for something unusual at the least."

    OOC:Assuming my math is right, since Shifter's reach adult maturity at age 10, Oak being 18 is the equivalent to a 32 year old human in maturity. In case anyone reading is wondering why this 18 year old person is behaving older. That's my head cannon at least.

  • The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    ((I mean, i just had Oak pegged as being in his 40s already, so... I have no idea how old Irah is, but i think about 30 given she's implicitly done some shit already what with her mild magic powers, etc))

    Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • GlalGlal Registered User regular
    Jack kicks his feet and smiles at Oak, "Nah, they're alright, I've met far worse. Sailors love to gossip, it don't mean nuffin'." Waves to a crewmate looking their way and grins as they quickly look away.

    He looks around the ship for the lizard at the mention of his name, "Yeah, I've heard of him." Lowers voice, pays not to make enemies, "Heard he was bad news." Back to normal, "And I hope we're up for something unusual, it's what I signed up for! If I wanted to die of boredom I would've looked for a fishing ship."

    ((OOC: Jack was cursed when he was around 2 years old, so I imagine he's about 6 now. Y'all old fogies!))

  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Oak

    Oak laughs outwardly at this point. "Don't rush too far ahead of yourself there lad. Trouble usually finds you on a ship, you don't need to actively seek it out." he returns to scanning the horizon. "I respect the captain's decisions, she knows our course better than me. But I stand weary of what we might be steering into." He glances at Jack again, "Then again, maybe I need some shaking up. Been a bit since I've been in it deep."

  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    OOC: @mrpaku could we get sort of a dramatis personae when you get a chance? I'm having a hard time keeping all the NPCs straight.

  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    OOC: @Denada
    Absolutely, with the next update! (There are getting to be rather a lot of NPCs, aren't there? Someone should probably do something about that...)

  • GlalGlal Registered User regular
    ((OOC: Now look what you did, @Denada!))

Sign In or Register to comment.