As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

knots

CalicaCalica Registered User regular
I plan to build a playgym for my birds. I have a basic idea that would result in something a bit like a rope ladder: stacked sticks joined and held in place by two parallel ropes. The sticks/perches need to be easily removable and replaceable for cleaning, so my thought was to tie semipermanent loops into the ropes and then pull the section of rope immediately above the loop through the loop to make a slipknot, then put the end of the stick through that. The slipknot would be held tight by gravity as long as the stick is there to keep it from pulling free entirely. It would be also be easy to loosen, which is important, because the sticks are natural manzanita branches, so the loop needs to be able to expand to allow irregular twiggy bits through and then tighten to hold securely.

The rope will most likely be polypropylene cord because it's durable and doesn't fray easily, which makes it safe for birds as long as they don't eat it.

I don't know anything about ropes or knots except what I can read in books or on the internet. Is there any reason an alpine butterfly loop wouldn't work for this? Would pulling the adjacent bit of rope through to make another loop mess with the tension or something?

(My birds are budgies, so their weight is negligible and they're not very destructive.)

• Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    alpine butterfly would be a bitch to adjust to the right size but they are easy to untie.

what I would suggest is a clove hitch, very easy to tie and adjust and you can easily cinch it around the stick to secure in place.

https://youtu.be/scL1QXMrB4s

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Apparently at camp I made friendship bracelets using the clove hitch.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    mts wrote: »
    alpine butterfly would be a bitch to adjust to the right size but they are easy to untie.

what I would suggest is a clove hitch, very easy to tie and adjust and you can easily cinch it around the stick to secure in place.

https://youtu.be/scL1QXMrB4s

I wouldn't be adjusting the alpine butterfly loops. I would tie them once (so I only have to fiddle with the spacing once) and then pull the rope next to the loop through the loop to make a second loop/slipknot, which I would put the stick through, like I described in the OP.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    A butterfly loop would be absolutely fine for this purpose.

The main issue is that you're going to have two standing lengths of rope, and getting the loops to be at the same relative spacing is going to be tricky and probably take a lot of attempts (otherwise, you end up with slanty sticks).

If you don't mind essentially retying the knots each time you change out the rungs, you can go with one of these:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVNTSWucgvE

• Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    I think it would be simpler to do this.

1. Take two lines. Put wooden beads on each line until the line is almost full.
    2. Create perches with hoops (key-ring like, but not as tense) that can be slipped over the line and then slip them in between the beads at appropriate heights.

The perches will be kept at the approriate height by the wooden beads, but you'll have no problems with knots (neither tying or slipping).

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    Slanty sticks are fine. They're natural branches anyway, so not straight to begin with, lol.

The issue with the ring-and-beads solution is how to attach the rings to the perches. It would be simpler still to drill holes in the sticks and thread them onto the ropes, but the sticks are too narrow for that, at least at the thinner end.

It seems like my loop-and-slipknot idea will work, though, so thank you!