As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[2020 ELECTION] THREAD OF WHAT IN THE ACTUAL FORK

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    R-dem wrote: »
    I actually saw a Biden/Harris sign at a ranch whilst driving through the middle of southwestern Wyoming.

We are clearly in the end times.

As I said in a previous thread, I half expect to look up in the sky sometime later this year and see scrolling text thanking us all for playing and to wrap up any achievements we want.

• Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    It's really going to suck when the Lincoln Project turns their attention back to the left.

They're going to need to wait until the left is done fixing everything before that happens. Because it's not like any of them want to clean up this mess.

• Options
    brynhrtmnbrynhrtmn Registered User regular
    Forum glitch

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    It's really going to suck when the Lincoln Project turns their attention back to the left.
    Don't forget those folk actively pushed to get us where we are. Their problem isn't with Trumpism, it's with Trump. They wouldn't be pushing for an ouster of Presidents Cruz, Kasich, or Rubio. But we wouldn't be in any less shitty of a situation.

Yeah, their ads are fire. They still want a far right government controlling the US. They just don't want Trump at the helm.

Don't forget:

George Conway (Lincoln Project founder), when asked if there was a chance some GOP senators would vote against Amy Coney Barrett:
    No. Not a chance. She is eminently qualified to serve on the Supreme Court.

• Options
    Blackhawk1313Blackhawk1313 Demon Hunter for Hire Time RiftRegistered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »
    Don't forget those folk actively pushed to get us where we are. Their problem isn't with Trumpism, it's with Trump. They wouldn't be pushing for an ouster of Presidents Cruz, Kasich, or Rubio. But we wouldn't be in any less shitty of a situation.

Yeah, their ads are fire. They still want a far right government controlling the US. They just don't want Trump at the helm.

Don't forget:

George Conway (Lincoln Project founder), when asked if there was a chance some GOP senators would vote against Amy Coney Barrett:

I mean, she technically is. That’s besides the point of course but still.

• Options

Don't forget:

I dunno, I think "the Bible trumps the Constitution" is disqualifying, when she's supposed to be ruling on the latter.
    But that's me.

• Options
    Blackhawk1313Blackhawk1313 Demon Hunter for Hire Time RiftRegistered User regular

Don't forget:

I dunno, I think "the Bible trumps the Constitution" is disqualifying, when she's supposed to be ruling on the latter.
    But that's me.

Fair. I admit to not seeing that said explicitly by her. Failure on my part, that is not okay.

• Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Wait... so did they just happen to have a fly swatter on hand, or did Biden ask someone to drive to the local walmart ASAP to pick one up?

If he's anything like my grandparents he had one available.

They're dang useful!

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular

Don't forget:

I turned 35 back in May, so technically so am I.

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    I'm trying to find a day to go out early voting, but apparently this past Tuesday (first day) there was a multi hour line at opening.

• Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    Forum bug.

But the last week-that-feels-like-a-year has been crazy. What will the next October surprise be?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    moniker wrote: »

Don't forget:

I turned 35 back in May, so technically so am I.

Me too! Well, already have been at least...

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    This election is crazy! This thread title is crazy! Everything is crazy! 2020, y'all!
    This election year has been the longest decade of my life.

Remember when it came out that Trump called servicemen losers and suckers?

That was a month ago.

Kamala Harris sure as hell remembered tonight.

And hoooo boy did her bringing that up get under Pence's skin. Like the one moment he actually broke and seemed to get animated was then. And of course he had to say that Trump 100% supports the troops... which everyone knows is a lie.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    That whole debate, all I could do was try not to imagine Maya Rudolph playing Kamala. And then the thread title, and now all I can think of is Maya Rudolph, so thanks for that.

• Options
    DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    It’s clear from the first two debates that Trump really wanted to run against Bernie. They seem like their entire plan is to attack the far left of the Democratic Party

But it’s clearly not working nobody is buying joe Biden is Bernie Sanders fit better or worse

616610-1.png
  • Options
    RaijuRaiju Shoganai JapanRegistered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Wrong thread.

Raiju on
  • Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Wrong thread.

Schrodinger on
  • Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular

Don't forget:

But that's me.

Can you source this?

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Disrupter wrote: »
    It’s clear from the first two debates that Trump really wanted to run against Bernie. They seem like their entire plan is to attack the far left of the Democratic Party

But it’s clearly not working nobody is buying joe Biden is Bernie Sanders fit better or worse

Eeeeh I think that's just the universal Republican playbook.

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    MrMister wrote: »

Don't forget:

But that's me.

Can you source this?

It comes from a law journal article she wrote, “Catholic Judges in Capital Cases”

It’s something like 40 pages long but can be downloaded for free

She makes the argument that in some cases judges should put their faith above the law.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    Disrupter wrote: »

Eeeeh I think that's just the universal Republican playbook.

It's the western conservative playbook in general, I think. Up here Canadian conservatives use the exact same kind of rhetoric, screaming about "radical extremist agendas" or whatnot at the most utterly milquetoast policies by even the most overtly centrist-establishment politicians.

Annoying thing is it occasionally has sticking power, at least with the portions of various countries' base that have decided anything left of them is straight-up communism.

• Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    I sort of love the picture of Biden with the flyswatter.

Possibly mostly because he looks like an actual human being who experiences positive emotions, unlike, say, the entire current administration.

Kamar on
  • Options
    knitdan wrote: »

Don't forget:

But that's me.

Can you source this?

It comes from a law journal article she wrote, “Catholic Judges in Capital Cases”

She makes the argument that in some cases judges should put their faith above the law.

The journal article can be found here, and a Vox article with some context and analysis is here.

• Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    Went on youtube and under "news" the first 5 videos were about the fly on pences head. I bet Trump is fuming at that and wanting a rematch at biden whether he has covid or not.

What's funny is I could see the stupid fly thing swaying some voters.

I did watch a video of it though, was pretty funny to see.

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Wooooo elections. Wooo.

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod

The Lincoln Project ads are effective because voters who are swayable know they're true. If you tried to direct something like that at Biden (or Random Democrat) it would ring false because normal people understand that Biden is a human being with empathy and basic levels of human competence, if nothing else.

Their ads are slick and well produced, but I don't think that kind of brutal takedown will work in all situations.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    knitdan wrote: »

Don't forget:

But that's me.

Can you source this?

A paper she was second author on when she was a law clerk, and that’s not even what it says

“Judges cannot—not should they try to—align the our legal system with the Church’s moral teachings whenever they diverge” —ACB & her coauthor In that paper’s conclusion

Instead, they are discussing when Catholic Judges are required to ~recuse themselves~ because applying the law would run counter to their faith—which they think is morally required of them in some but not all cases where the law and the church are at odds (specifically in cases where the judge would be murdering someone by directly ordering their death sentence, but not even in all cases where the judge’s orders would result in a person’s death sentence being applied: as always, the Catholics love their doctrine of double effect).

Glossing this as she believes that “the Bible Trumps the constitution” is misinformation

MrMister on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Note that ACB is not on topic here.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Off topic

knitdan on
    “I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

Nah. Firstly it's questionable how effective they actually are at persuading voters.

But secondly and more importantly, the same people staffing the Lincoln Project are already turning their attention to the Democrats and have been for as long as any of us have been alive. These fuckers are not some new power rising in the east. They are just the same shits who've been doing ad-work for Republicans since always, except this time they are attacking Trump. But the rest of their colleagues with ever so slightly less morals are still hard at work.

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    I thought the claim was her connection to that Church that teaches a wife must submit to her husband as the head of the household.

Which, if followed, means that she is subject to her husband and church teachings above and beyond her law interpretation.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.rollingstone.com/culture/culture-news/amy-coney-barrett-people-of-praise-1067587/amp/

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    edited October 2020
  • Options
    Bliss 101Bliss 101 Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Edit: wrong thread

Bliss 101 on
    MSL59.jpg
  • Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »

Nah. Firstly it's questionable how effective they actually are at persuading voters.

But secondly and more importantly, the same people staffing the Lincoln Project are already turning their attention to the Democrats and have been for as long as any of us have been alive. These fuckers are not some new power rising in the east. They are just the same shits who've been doing ad-work for Republicans since always, except this time they are attacking Trump. But the rest of their colleagues with ever so slightly less morals are still hard at work.

And while they can be quite scathing, the reason the Lincoln Project is so effective, is because of the response it elicits. Their current target is the thinnest skinned narcissist in public life, and they know exactly how to play him, because he won't let it go.

Biden would just be at most, "C'mon, man", and move on, significantly impacting their potency.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    MorganV wrote: »
    And while they can be quite scathing, the reason the Lincoln Project is so effective, is because of the response it elicits. Their current target is the thinnest skinned narcissist in public life, and they know exactly how to play him, because he won't let it go.

Biden would just be at most, "C'mon, man", and move on, significantly impacting their potency.

Yeah, they're actively buying ad slots where they know Trump will end up seeing it.

Biden will probably just shrug at it.

• Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    edited October 2020

The Commission on Presidential Debates Announces Second Presidential Debate Will Be Virtual

Geoff Bennett and Kelly O'Donnell are NBC News White House Correspondents

bloodyroarxx on
  • Options
    TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    And now the countdown begins to the moment Trump bows out of the debate, because he doesn't want to do this.

• Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    TheBigEasy wrote: »
    And now the countdown begins to the moment Trump bows out of the debate, because he doesn't want to do this.

At the very least, he’ll start complaining that being virtual means giving in to fear or some kind of nonsense.

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    that's actually a huge change in the debate. The moments of human connection are key to this format and neither candidate will be able to do it.

• Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    TheBigEasy wrote: »

He needs another debate way more than Biden does.

This discussion has been closed.