As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[No Man's Sky] this is now the old thread!

• Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    I play VR but then also a Xbox controller.

It’s a lot of fun, I don’t motion sickness but after a few hours I notice eye strain. Could be just the bright colouring.

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    I spent a considerable amount of time playing in VR after it was added (about 100 hours or so) and it was incredible. Noticed some eye strain but still managed several sessions of 8-12 hours on my days off. The VR flight controls were fun once I got used to them and I loved being able to look around and feel like I was actually there. I haven't set up my VR in awhile, but my memories of playing NMS with it are not of me playing a video game but of me actually spending time flying through space and exploring planets. Once I spent several hours one night getting drunk and playing, and while waiting in my ship cockpit for a storm to pass I fell asleep. Woke up several hours later still in the cockpit. I got up, drank a bunch of water and had breakfast, took a shower, then played for about 8 hours more and it was the coolest experience to me. Can't really describe it, but VR really enhanced the lonely, ethereal quality of the game for me.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    M-Vickers wrote: »
    I’ve not seen any really huge creatures, but I did find a race of what I can only describe as Owlbears.

I have the strangely consistent luck of finding goddamn huge critters. Original NMS I spent two days looking for a critter, and finally found it alone and on some of the highest mountains in a snow covered planet. I could see it from the next mountain over. It's the biggest creature I've ever seen in the game. It's what I think of when I'm hunting "Rare" creatures because man, that's the correct label for those things.

Creature finding is one of my true exploration joys of this game.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Well now that the game finally allows me to do it, I finally did it.

D298EB60AE1016BA1C6BF5BD8EC2DEBB36FAE6E6

I upgraded the NMS pre-order ship to S class and maxed its storage capacity.

• Options
    I don't have that one, but I do have an early ship as my Fighter and it has more slots in all the areas than it should and I'm in the process of upgrading it. It's got 48 slots of storage possible (which I have now), and 21 possible tech slots. Will I search for other good ships? Yes. Will I actually use those ships? Probably not.

A question: my Atlas Station path and my Route to the Center path are different paths on the galaxy map. Is it better to do one before the other, or do I just roll the dice and pick a path?

• Options
    Kalnaur wrote: »
    I don't have that one, but I do have an early ship as my Fighter and it has more slots in all the areas than it should and I'm in the process of upgrading it. It's got 48 slots of storage possible (which I have now), and 21 possible tech slots. Will I search for other good ships? Yes. Will I actually use those ships? Probably not.

A question: my Atlas Station path and my Route to the Center path are different paths on the galaxy map. Is it better to do one before the other, or do I just roll the dice and pick a path?

There should always be nearby Atlas stations, regardless of your location. So unless you're doing the Atlas questline right now then you can continue towards the center. Do the quest though, it's pretty cool and you get a neat reward from it.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Oh, I should post some pics of my inventory and my new hauler and base! I've looked for a hauler I liked the look of for forever, but only certain body/wing styles come with the biggest inventories and I wasn't a fan of how they looked. So since we can upgrade ship storage now I finally bought a cheap one I liked the look of!
    339F6C941C5FDE2349DEEBE67800308AB4B0999E
    216E755AA756C795949A54CE6E056AC0EA033D8D
    679A0D0580BBECF9EC1D653CC5A2EE165CF81C98
    52C5F3959811610FA38BD9D2E9ADE9FE85502E65

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    Drez wrote: »
    Has anyone here played through entirely in VR? Thoughts?

Just in case you were thinking of buying a headset specifically to play NMS, do try it out with someone else's if at all possible.

I hate to be a broken record, but sadly VR is impossible to play for me with what ostensibly should be a perfectly capable system (6600K, 2070 Super).

I'm getting a new CPU with the Ryzen 5k series though, so I'll certainly be playing then. Because when it's not a jerky barf fueled mess NMS is a genuinely fantastic game to play in VR.

• Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    I absolutely love playing this in vr. Psvr or rift, they're both fantastic. I tend to go psvr as it's more spacious where the console is.

• Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    What graphics settings are good to turn down for PC VR? I have a i5-6600K and a 1070 running a Rift CV1, and graphicswise NMS is easily the jankiest thing I've played in VR. Tons of hitching and warping, and generally abysmal framerate on default settings. I've played for a three hour stretch regardless, but it would be great if it could run a little more normally.

• Options
    I found a new, perfect, calm planet with mushrooms and grass that glows at night. It was on my way to the core and now I've stopped in the system because I had to build a base there.

Oh, also, it has roving herds of these guys:
    7wso9hocb5px.jpg
    ymozv8w9ulwk.jpg

My ability to find giant-ass creatures that shake the ground as they walk by continues unabated. Also, they can be mass harvested with the critter tech to get Creature Eggs.

• Options
    BotznoyBotznoy Registered User regular
    Dyvion wrote: »
    Drez wrote: »
    Has anyone here played through entirely in VR? Thoughts?

Entirely? No, I can't VR for more than about 30 minutes before things get real bad for me. But I've got a buddy who plays with PSVR who highly recommends controller only, no wands.

I played about 6-8 hours with a friend of mine last week. It was a tonne of fun but it took some jiggering of graphic settings to stop us from nearly vomiting. I've since completed most of it in VR.

IZF2byN.jpg

Want to play co-op games? Feel free to hit me up!
  • Options
    yossarian_livesyossarian_lives Registered User regular
    Last night I realized you can buy entire stacks of goods quickly by just clicking the left arrow instead of holding the the right and waiting for the number to max out. I’ve been doing it wrong for years!

"I see everything twice!"

• Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    Orogogus wrote: »
    What graphics settings are good to turn down for PC VR? I have a i5-6600K and a 1070 running a Rift CV1, and graphicswise NMS is easily the jankiest thing I've played in VR. Tons of hitching and warping, and generally abysmal framerate on default settings. I've played for a three hour stretch regardless, but it would be great if it could run a little more normally.

Sounds like you might be in the same boat as me with the 6600K. I've tried absolute bare minimum settings with no luck. Standing in one spot is ok, but as soon as the game starts loading in new chunks of terrain into memory it just absolutely shits a brick. It's bad on foot, but flying around is obviously 100x worse and completely untenable.

If you do find a workaround, then please hit me up, I'd love to get back into it.

• Options
    Oh, I found planet Second Impact.
    85A7CB64AE487304DA850E4AC0BBD1C0751E484C

Get in the fucking Exosuit, Shinji.

• Options
    bfickybficky Registered User regular
    Reading through the last few pages really makes me want to jump back in and play again. I first bought the game (PS4) in 2018 after the Next update, and I played for like 40 hours in that first month before work got insane and I had to stop playing for a while. I haven't touched it since. I'd definitely start a new file, since I don't remember the basics of gameplay (I'm sure it's quite different nowadays anyway) and I'm not attached to any ship or base or whatever I had 2 years ago.

Any tips for getting started now?
    • I'm assuming I'll play on normal mode, not looking for some tough survival challenge or anything but I would like to see the structured story they have in it now. Is creative just where you have infinite money and supplies? I think I'd rather play where there's actual progression (start small, upgrade along the way), but I'd also like a way to get cool stuff fast (don't have a ton of time to grind).
    • Last time, I had a had a bunch of analysis paralysis regarding ships, guns, etc., but mostly where I wanted my home base to be. I never wanted to spend a ton of time building out a monster base because either I'd find a cooler planet later or I'd feel "tethered" to this one random spot of the universe when it seemed more like a game where you're constantly exploring and leaving the past behind you. I heard about freighter bases which sounded cool, a base that's always with me while I planet hop forever, but I'm sure there are concessions with a freighter base and I'd still have the problem of wanting to wait forever for the perfect freighter before building my base. Should I just try to convince myself that abandoning old bases on planets and starting new ones on cooler ones is ok?
    • Any other good tips for someone just getting started (do quests early to advance progression, here's a way to get a awesome *blank* early, make sure you don't waste money on X/Y/Z...)

PSN: BFicky | Switch: 1590-9221-4827 | Animal Crossing: Brandon (Waterview) | ACNH Wishlist
  • Options
    bficky wrote: »
    Reading through the last few pages really makes me want to jump back in and play again. I first bought the game (PS4) in 2018 after the Next update, and I played for like 40 hours in that first month before work got insane and I had to stop playing for a while. I haven't touched it since. I'd definitely start a new file, since I don't remember the basics of gameplay (I'm sure it's quite different nowadays anyway) and I'm not attached to any ship or base or whatever I had 2 years ago.

Any tips for getting started now?
    • I'm assuming I'll play on normal mode, not looking for some tough survival challenge or anything but I would like to see the structured story they have in it now. Is creative just where you have infinite money and supplies? I think I'd rather play where there's actual progression (start small, upgrade along the way), but I'd also like a way to get cool stuff fast (don't have a ton of time to grind).
    • Last time, I had a had a bunch of analysis paralysis regarding ships, guns, etc., but mostly where I wanted my home base to be. I never wanted to spend a ton of time building out a monster base because either I'd find a cooler planet later or I'd feel "tethered" to this one random spot of the universe when it seemed more like a game where you're constantly exploring and leaving the past behind you. I heard about freighter bases which sounded cool, a base that's always with me while I planet hop forever, but I'm sure there are concessions with a freighter base and I'd still have the problem of wanting to wait forever for the perfect freighter before building my base. Should I just try to convince myself that abandoning old bases on planets and starting new ones on cooler ones is ok?
    • Any other good tips for someone just getting started (do quests early to advance progression, here's a way to get a awesome *blank* early, make sure you don't waste money on X/Y/Z...)
    • I'm not sure what creative is like (though you have multiple save slots, you could always start a creative run and see what it's like), but normal is semi-slow progress forwards. Every activity you do, building you hit, etc is meant to give you something, provided you get the right answer (and I use a guide to get the right answers from most of the older puzzles like Manufacturing Facilities and Monoliths).
    • Ships, Guns, And Freighters all have items you can find to expand their slots to their max, and options to upgrade their class from what I can tell, so there's less difficulty in picking with something you like and staying with it. If you're trying to maximize things, you'll probably still want a gun with the max slots that type can have (for example, I have a 24 slot rifle and I found a max 21 slot rifle last night with 3 slots missing, not worth trading), but there's at least ways to hold on to what you like if you want. You can also have 3 weapons and 6 ships, so there's room there as well. As for bases, with the warp gates in the space stations that can link directly to base teleporters, it's easier than ever to move forward and still jump backwards if you want. I've made two new bases in the last 2 weeks, and deleted two bases, on of them being one of my first and the other being one I constructed last week when I found a better place this week.
    • Hoard early and often is my one suggestion; you're going to want to be able to interact with and properly fix or get whatever out of early stuff so things like carbon, ferrite, ionized carbon, stellar metals, chromatic metal, etc are all going to be things you want to have on hand sooner rather than later. Just keep upgrading that suit. Oh, and get some good scanner upgrade modules onto a multitool ASAP so that exploring and scanning plants and animals gives you more money.

That's all from me, I'm sure there's more other people can chip in.

• Options
    Creative mode is literally just sandbox mode, unlimited health/resources and all of the stellar warp drives handed to you at the outset. Normal mode is the baseline gameplay/progression mode.
    There's a teleport system in place that allows you to hop to any of your bases regardless of location, so that's not much of an issue anymore. Note however to teleport off of your base you do need to set up a portal and have it powered, but it does not need to have a portal set up to teleport to it from another space station/portal.

• Options
    WeX MajorsWeX Majors 8th Floor, MegashipRegistered User regular
    I am trying SO HARD to make this game pretty with this Ultra Low setup I've got going.

tv68yc769kin.jpg

u8iy4bpthud8.jpg

• Options
    WitchsightWitchsight Registered User regular
    Getting back into this after 2 years away... Finally sorted out how to return to my old original base.
    I take the portal from a space station to get back, but it jettisons me into open space and I die of exposure. Once I respawn and grab my ship, Im in a Euclid galaxy where every planet has dozens of player bases on surface, players are coming and going constantly, but if I check my galactic map or talk to a merchant, everything freezes and needs to be restarted.

Did... Did i beat the game?

Witchsight.png
  • Options
    Yeah you're better off starting a new game, most likely. They make no secret that save files that ancient are going to have problems.

• Options
    Right. Well... If I can just get back to the previous system I'll be happy. There were some promising planets and no player traffic.
    Ive got a freighter now so I guess thats like a portable base with storage.
    Every few months I have to relearn how to play this thing. :biggrin:

Witchsight.png
  • Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Anyone here playing the game in VR? I'm still struggling with the galaxy map, both in terms of navigation and selecting systems, using Oculus Rift S and Touch controllers.

Thirith on
    webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    Witchsight wrote: »
    Right. Well... If I can just get back to the previous system I'll be happy. There were some promising planets and no player traffic.

there are literally quintillions of promising planets with no traffic :D

Don't worry about the old system too much, you can find new good ones pretty easily
    also, the anomaly is always full of people inside, but they're not in your system itself.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    ZetxZetx 🐧 Registered User regular

If you are on the planets, you can go into photo mode and the Gateway Portal address thing is on the bottom left.

76561197966849367.png
  • Options
    My real worry is just getting the eff out of this glitchy system. I have to close the game app if I linger too long. I arrived without a ship initially, into the cold vacuum of space. And its teaming with player bases on all the planets, not the anomaly.
    Im getting messages about people entering and leaving the system, which is all new and strange to me.
    Ill try to get to the complimentary station portal / warp this eve and see if I can get away.

Witchsight.png
  • Options
    Good news, I'm getting better at Photo Mode

snsyqjtszm5d.jpg

qchwkbog5buq.jpg

yjxkxhcorbbp.jpg

• Options
    My real worry is just getting the eff out of this glitchy system. I have to close the game app if I linger too long. I arrived without a ship initially, into the cold vacuum of space. And its teaming with player bases on all the planets, not the anomaly.
    Im getting messages about people entering and leaving the system, which is all new and strange to me.
    Ill try to get to the complimentary station portal / warp this eve and see if I can get away.

Arriving without a ship reminds of the time I saw a portal at the Station for a place I had never been and it was marked as "<blank>'s" instead of my own. Curious, I saved and went through to

rPmOecU.jpg

This location without my ship and getting the entering/leaving messages too. I didn't even come out of a teleporter! Fortunately for me, I just reloaded. But uh, good luck? D:

76561197966849367.png
  • Options
    NBD, Just flying out of my BRAND NEW FREIGHTER!

il13ay5cip5v.jpg

It's not much, and it's a combat class so it ain't exactly pursuant to my interests, but it's Mine and that's cool.

• Options
    I should do more with the freighter, it's so useful and I never really utilise it.

• Options
    It's silly that the first one offered is basically the worst you can get, but if you don't know that, you just see 'oh, this one is free' and grab that not knowing if you skipped it, you could grab a better one for free down the line. I finally got around to doing that for this save. :| / :D

2D8AF29953D2CD4275AE7A9B5265E927DB7D566E

I'm also finally doing things like building a resource farm to make money and buying a new ship!

76561197966849367.png
  • Options
    I'm just trying to get to the centre but maaaaaaaaaaaaan, its taking a long ass time.

• Options
    M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    Zetx wrote: »
    It's silly that the first one offered is basically the worst you can get, but if you don't know that, you just see 'oh, this one is free' and grab that not knowing if you skipped it, you could grab a better one for free down the line. I finally got around to doing that for this save. :| / :D

2D8AF29953D2CD4275AE7A9B5265E927DB7D566E

I'm also finally doing things like building a resource farm to make money and buying a new ship!

I’ve been expanding my gold farm, every few days.

My cycle is collect gold, sell gold, buy floor plates, make more storage, repeat.

When I get to the point it takes more than 2 days to fill, I add more extractors, then start over.

I think I make 25 million every few days, so I can now afford to buy ships at stations, melt them for scrap, hoping to get more storage for my ship.

• Options
    Zetx wrote: »
    It's silly that the first one offered is basically the worst you can get, but if you don't know that, you just see 'oh, this one is free' and grab that not knowing if you skipped it, you could grab a better one for free down the line.

OOPS. Oh well, nothing I can do about that now.

Here's some more pretty shit I was able to snag before I'm pretty surethe game melted parts of PC to scrap.

89upj0w8jddf.jpg

fid0fc0cccgn.jpg

fkyq0wph0gy3.jpg

• Options
    bfickybficky Registered User regular
    Started a new game after not playing for two years. My first system has a paradise planet on it, so I set my base up on it until I find something better. I've only been to three systems so far, but I'm trying to visit every planet in those systems just to get some units from scanning. I went to Space Anomaly to talk to Nada and Polo, and later on I noticed that I somehow had 9,999 activated indium in by inventory. After a google search, it seems that sometimes people in the nexus will just drop a stack in someone's inventory. That stack got me about 9M units, enough for me to buy a class A 24 slot rifle and have some left over to start saving for a new ship. Thanks, anonymous traveler!

So far, I'm feeling the most limited on inventory space. I've upgraded my inventory slots at the three space stations I've been to, plus three more from the space anomaly. Is there a better way to get more slots besides searching for drop pods? From a youtube search, it seems like I need to get navigation data (not too tough), convert it to inhabited structure planetary charts (again, not too bad), but then I need to take the charts to a planet, land, search for a structure, fly there, then hope that that structure contains a drop pod location data, then go there, then repair it, all to get one slot. Is that correct? Is there a better way? I'd like to get more slots sooner rather than later.

Also, I had purchased a S tier scanner upgrade for my first multi-tool in order to get more units for each plant and animal I scanned. Once I bought my rifle, I couldn't figure out a way to move my scanner upgrade to the new one, so I wound up dismantling it and repurchasing it from a vender. It has slightly lower stats than the first one, but whatever. Is this correct? These upgrades are non-transferrable and have random stats that are unknown until installed?

PSN: BFicky | Switch: 1590-9221-4827 | Animal Crossing: Brandon (Waterview) | ACNH Wishlist
  • Options
    You cannot transfer upgrades, no.

• Options
    nwrabenwrabe Insidious Squid Registered User regular
    Each space station has an inventory upgrade and you can summon the anomaly in each system for another upgrade as well. Its generally faster to warp around than spending time hunting down on planets.

• Options
    If you get the Signal Booster portable tech, and a "Drop Pod Data" item, you can set it down on a planet, hit it up for drop pod coordinates, and then head to the drop pod it detects and repair it. Merchants should sell Drop Pod Data sometimes, and it's worth buying if you can get the materials together to regularly repair drop pods. Otherwise, it's paying for expansions in the stations, and once per system in the anomaly.

And while you can reconstruct known tech in new ships/multitools/freighters, there's no way to transfer upgrade modules.

• Options
    PoketpixiePoketpixie Siege Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    WeX Majors wrote: »
    I am trying SO HARD to make this game pretty with this Ultra Low setup I've got going.
    tv68yc769kin.jpg

u8iy4bpthud8.jpg

Is that base something you found or something you built? Cause that is a cool base.

Poketpixie on
  • Options
    Poketpixie wrote: »
    WeX Majors wrote: »
    tv68yc769kin.jpg

u8iy4bpthud8.jpg

Is that base something you found or something you built? Cause that is a cool base.

If you mean the tower, that's a Holographic Comms Tower. It's exclusively story related, and other than that it's just a cool tower.