As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

All the [Love]ly people

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    I'm addicted to my phone. I cannot go 10 minutes without checking something on it

I guess most of my social life has evaporated since the pandemic started, and I think I'm a doom scroller

I don't really know the best way to put it away, I guess

I use the calculator app often at work, because the free calculator's buttons wore out after like a month and my co workers call me on it

And I've had some family members pass away and some have health problems and I'm eager for any news at all

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    My advice is to turn off badges and notifications. I tried deleting Facebook. And that did not jive well with my life, but turning off notifications of stuff that was not important really helped me stop going to my phone because there was a pointless notification.

edited October 2020
    Solid advice, but I guess I look forward to stupid usually meaningless notifications, that's 90% of my social life in 2020: comments and conversations on Instagram and Facebook and the occasional text

I haven't seen anyone outside of our bubble in like eight months

DouglasDanger on
  • tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Yeah that sounds like a classical stimulus conditioning. Blake's right, if you really want to break the habit.

I get the social thing though - I usually don't log into the forums on any work computer, because then I have to go to my phone to post and it's enough of a hassle that it sets an autolimit on my time wasting. That went out the window like two weeks into quarantine (because without an office I craved people to talk to during the week day).

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Solid advice, but I guess I look forward to stupid usually meaningless notifications, that's 90% of my social life in 2020: comments and conversations on Instagram and Facebook and the occasional text

I haven't seen anyone outside of our bubble in like eight months

And that’s all fair. I’m not saying don’t look at them. Just look at them in your own terms, not with in a hair’s breath when your phone dings. So you know look at them all in a bunch, or when you get a break in work, not when they actually happen.

I turned most notifications off and will try to get it under control, thank you for the advice and encouragement

I somehow got in the habit of checking the weather as soon as I wake up, I guess it probably started a few years ago, so maybe I'm conditioned to check it from when I wake up

And most of my days are spent inside in climate controlled warehouse or office, so the weather is largely irrelevant

Need to break that habit too

• TefTef Registered User regular
    I am terrible for checking my phone compulsively

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
    Yeah and I’m not saying I am an exemplar of this virtue, but I did feel less tied to my phone when I turned off some notifications.

Getting an Apple Watch helped too because I could look at an “important notification” like say an email, note that it was not urgent and never get my phone out in the first place.

• VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Ironically, turning on notifications actually helped me kick the phone checking obsession a while back, because it put into perspective how few messages or important notifications I actually get.

Also, facebook and instagram are just utterly unreliable and exhausting to use now, so that works in my favour too!

Veldrin on
  • sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    I tried on suits for wedding photos and they had a gorgeous lapel-less jacket with tails and a cravat and I am going to look fancy as fuck and now I understand why people need a billion dollars.

• Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    i hate my phone and I wait as long as i can before i check it. it feels like a damn shackle sometimes

• DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    gasp, a whole seed in my fancy doctor marijuanas.

I could- could I?

dare I?

dare I put this in a damp paper towel and discover whether or not I have a new quarantine gardening project?

gasp, a whole seed in my fancy doctor marijuanas.

I could- could I?

dare I?

dare I put this in a damp paper towel and discover whether or not I have a new quarantine gardening project?

DO IT

Those doctors will cut parts off of your body you want to keep, you can’t just muscle in on their territory like that!

Our covid bubble friend group did a hiking thing on the weekend and the photos came back and truly I have become a hideous quokka monster sometime in the last three years. Am thinking of adopting a face mask permanently, in all situations.

tynic wrote: »
    Our covid bubble friend group did a hiking thing on the weekend and the photos came back and truly I have become a hideous quokka monster sometime in the last three years. Am thinking of adopting a face mask permanently, in all situations.

quokka are adorable what's wrong with you

Adorable but extremely unsexy.

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Leave my Tinder profile out of this, please.

GDdCWMm.jpg
    i'd tap a quokka if it asked, not gonna lie

• DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    Alright, cool. Not even 9am and that right there will probably be the strangest thing I read on the internet all day.

oh wait sorry the quokka is on the LEFT can i change my answer

3zw3njsbrb83.jpg

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I have never had a picture come out even remotely good because I am a hideous swamp beast, I feel this pain.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    I have never had a picture come out even remotely good because I am a hideous swamp beast, I feel this pain.

As a fellow repulsive beast, I hate having photographs taken of me.

• XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »

As a fellow repulsive beast, I hate having photographs taken of me.

we shall be called the three ugly musketeers!

I couldn't think of anything better

• JansonJanson Registered User regular
    Everyone’s always you will regret not having wedding/new baby/family photos and I’m like... 37 years so far and no regrets *shrug*

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Janson wrote: »
    Everyone’s always you will regret not having wedding/new baby/family photos and I’m like... 37 years so far and no regrets *shrug*

My facebook profile picture is cropped from a family photo where we were all pulling stupid faces, and it's from 2011.

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    I used to like how I looked! Maybe one day I'll get back there.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Janson wrote: »

My facebook profile picture is cropped from a family photo where we were all pulling stupid faces, and it's from 2011.

Mine is me making a funny face in one of those paintings with a hole you pose behind at zoos and shit.

It's honestly one of the better pictures of me that I have.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    Mine is surprisingly decent and I think it's lulling me into a false sense of photo security.

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I basically never take photos of myself but the other day I walked through a field of cows and they all came running over and followed me and I had to take a pic of my posse
    jcm7k4rg13z6.jpg

• ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    At a some point a few years ago I started smiling in photos and I've generally been more amenable to them ever since. I have more, and better, photos of myself from the past 5 years than the previous 20 years.

Note that this a purely relative metric; it's still not really a lot.

Also, um, I'm going to throw dark for a minute in the spoiler below.
    Two weeks after we were hanging out at PAX South, one of my close friends from college suddenly passed away. For his memorial, his family asked for photos.

I'd known him for 16 years, since we were freshmen in college. We hung out all the time in college. We were roommates when we studied abroad and went to at least one PAX every year since 2007. I hung out with him every time I went back to Atlanta. He's the only person outside my immediate family who's visited more than once since I moved to California 13 years ago.

I scoured my hard drives, especially trying to find anything from when we were traveling back in the day. I could only find one photo with him in it, and he's just in the background. I was beating myself up over it, but that's just how we were. But I do regret not documenting our adventures better, especially in terms of establishing that either of us were actually there.

I've since tried to be better about this, or at least not turning it down when my friends want to do a photo. But, of course, opportunities for such things have been limited since then. But when I can travel again I will definitely have more photos, and I might even be in several of them.

ASimPerson on
  • TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Hey love thread

My birthday is coming up and it's been a while since I've seen many of my friends

I'm thinking of trying to setup a zoom party or something but I don't know how?

Also is it possible to output video from my screen to zoom? I could then maybe do jackbox games with my friends that way.

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Uriel wrote: »
    Hey love thread

My birthday is coming up and it's been a while since I've seen many of my friends

Also is it possible to output video from my screen to zoom? I could then maybe do jackbox games with my friends that way.

where are you running jackbox? if it's on the PC then you should be able to share your screen and it will work fine. Also streaming jackbox on twitch works great, as the framerate will be higher, and then you run the meeting in zoom or google meetup or whatever. Thats our standard, stream the game on twitch, then all chat and do video in google.

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    Hey love thread

where are you running jackbox? if it's on the PC then you should be able to share your screen and it will work fine. Also streaming jackbox on twitch works great, as the framerate will be higher, and then you run the meeting in zoom or google meetup or whatever. Thats our standard, stream the game on twitch, then all chat and do video in google.

That sounds good actually

I need to figure out who of my friends will have access to a computer and a phone though so they can play along.

I basically never take photos of myself but the other day I walked through a field of cows and they all came running over and followed me and I had to take a pic of my posse
    jcm7k4rg13z6.jpg

Strong haircut. Positively dapper.

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    God I forgot I put a photo of myself here. That was a shock to wake up to.

Hey love thread

I've played jackbox games over Discord with some friends, that was heaps of fun. Needed a phone AND a computer per person though, I believe.

I’ve played Jackbox over zoom - one person shares their screen, you play on your phone as normal. But yeah you probably don’t want to be playing on the same device you’re zooming from.

• SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    tynic wrote: »
    I’ve played Jackbox over zoom - one person shares their screen, you play on your phone as normal. But yeah you probably don’t want to be playing on the same device you’re zooming from.

When we do it I use OBS to stream over Twitch. There's Twitch apps on most platforms so people can usually just play along on their own TV then we set phones / laptops up with a Google Meet for chatting

You just have to make sure that wherever possible you go into the settings for each of the games and turn on the "extended timers" otherwise people with spotty connections don't always get a chance to play as their stream will be lagging

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    It has been almost two years since the last time I was called upon to lift something too heavy for anyone else present to lift, and I feel like I'm missing out on a lot of potential social credit while I still have this largely unearned physical strength. If you're my Secret Satan this year, I request a number of plausible yet broadly inconvenient Donkey Kong barrels scattered throughout my public life.

GDdCWMm.jpg