As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[The Expanse] let's just stay here for a moment

• DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Nebuchadnezzar Squats?
    Enkidu's Hotpants?
    Gilgamesh Quarterly?
    Orcus Malorcus?
    Demorgorgon Dances?

• JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Washington's Dirigible
    Patton's Spaceship
    Caesar's Bicycle
    All actual book names

• DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    Unnamed final novel

• RichyRichy Registered User regular
    I just know I as the "50 new posts in the D&D Expanse thread" novel.

sig.gif
  • SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    Nebuchadnezzar Squats?
    Enkidu's Hotpants?
    Gilgamesh Quarterly?
    Orcus Malorcus?
    Demorgorgon Dances?

Jesus’ Tapdance?

5gsowHm.png
  • GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    "Our Series is finished, where is Book 6 George?"

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    GONG-00 wrote: »
    "Our Series is finished, where is Book 6 George?"

I was curious so I looked. The entire novel series (assuming the last one comes out before Winds of Winter (ha ha)) came out between two Song of Ice and Fire books (or, more likely, I'd guess, after the last book in the unfinished Song of Ice and Fire series... also after the last novel in the unfinished Kingkiller Chronicle...)

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Book 9 has a title! Leviathan Falls, 2021 release date

wdKPk18.jpg

Oh brilliant
  • MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Good, glad it's ending honestly. I really like the series but the last few episodes have wandered a little more into straight up and down sci fi and lost the "everyday edge" I liked from earlier books.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    I like the title, really puts a bow on the whole series. Although I am kind of curious if it is broadly spoiling how the whole thing ends...

Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • RichyRichy Registered User regular
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I like the title, really puts a bow on the whole series. Although I am kind of curious if it is broadly spoiling how the whole thing ends...

It's hardly an ending spoiler, in fact it happens in the first third of the series at most. It also doesn't reference any major secret surprise plot twists, so I'd argue it's not a spoiler at all. And without specific names I don't think someone who doesn't know the series can make heads or tails of the quote and get spoiled by it.

sig.gif
  • SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    so are they releasing the entire book or are we getting a chapter a week

5gsowHm.png
  • Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    edited October 2020
    https://youtu.be/PnWsUCd5Cok

Season 5 trailer maybe! Yes!

https://youtu.be/caLji74IIp4

AAAA
    Looks like Marco gets his Pela! Fffffuuuuuck

Dark Raven X on
    Oh brilliant
    The trailer is great.

Don't watch it if you haven't read the books.

Also Cas Anvar update:
    October 8: In today's NYCC broadcast
    , Cas Anvar was the only major cast member not present, and he was not mentioned. Alex Kamal appeared briefly in the trailer, and was only mentioned in the panel when Frankie Adams said that her character, Bobbie Draper, "teams up" with Alex in Season 5 . There was no official update about the status of the investigation or Anvar's future involvement in the show.

• MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Jragghen wrote: »
    Also Cas Anvar update:
    , Cas Anvar was the only major cast member not present, and he was not mentioned. Alex Kamal appeared briefly in the trailer, and was only mentioned in the panel when Frankie Adams said that her character, Bobbie Draper, "teams up" with Alex in Season 5 . There was no official update about the status of the investigation or Anvar's future involvement in the show.

I feel like this means he's gone or at least he'll be minimized until closer to season six?

I am in the business of saving lives.
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    Also Cas Anvar update:

I feel like this means he's gone or at least he'll be minimized until closer to season six?

Yeah, the implication to me is that he's in the season, but will be written out somehow.

• electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    So due to my life being crazy in 2019 I totally missed out on Season 4 when it aired. Which has changed and me and Bulgarian girl binged the whole season this last week and it was as great as ever!
    Drummer and Ashford being paired up in so many scenes was amazing - Ashford was definitely one of my favorites previously. It was also painful to watch Bobbie's life on Mars fall apart. They absolutely nailed the sense that she just plain didn't know how to be a civilian, since the moment she fell in with the black marketeers she reverted to "hero for the team" soldier mode so hard.

Also from a 2020 context, Avarsala did absolutely everything she should've done. She was in no way wrong.

EDIT: Also I will never get tired of watching Amos completely ignore implied threats by people regardless of circumstance.

electricitylikesme on
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    The trailer is great.

I dunno, I feel like the show fixes the books so much and so well that I genuinely wonder how much this new season will match the books. I mean, they took the big stinker of a story of how the Belters get stealth tech and turned it into a story that not only makes some actual dang sense (without suddenly turning Belters into perfectly-coordinated spec ops soldiers), they worked Bobby into it in a way that makes some actual dang sense for her character arc. She actually had major personal motivation for the direction she went instead of just kinda dangling off a side arc, and the changes also rolled in a way for
    the Belters to get their hands on Mars ships other than just being sold half the fleet or whatever.

I think the (big book spoiler)
    asteroid attacks on Earth will obviously happen, but will it be the utterly, utterly Earth-is-basically-dead thing from the books? I actually don't know and I can definitely see how it both isn't necessary to go that way and how the story could be far better from a partial success from the attack than a total destruction of the wellspring of all Terran life.

Regardless, I'm immensely more interested in this new season than I ever was for the books, these actors and characters are just so dang good and they keep getting better every season. Man do I want to see
    Drummer setting up for some serious heavy-duty vengeance after finding out what happened to Ashford.

No, I mean specifically (MAJOR BOOK SPOILERS)
    They have imagery of the asteroids going to earth four times.

Better to be surprised

The trailer is great.

I dunno, I feel like the show fixes the books so much and so well that I genuinely wonder how much this new season will match the books. I mean, they took the big stinker of a story of how the Belters get stealth tech and turned it into a story that not only makes some actual dang sense (without suddenly turning Belters into perfectly-coordinated spec ops soldiers), they worked Bobby into it in a way that makes some actual dang sense for her character arc. She actually had major personal motivation for the direction she went instead of just kinda dangling off a side arc, and the changes also rolled in a way for
    the Belters to get their hands on Mars ships other than just being sold half the fleet or whatever.

I think the (big book spoiler)
    asteroid attacks on Earth will obviously happen, but will it be the utterly, utterly Earth-is-basically-dead thing from the books? I actually don't know and I can definitely see how it both isn't necessary to go that way and how the story could be far better from a partial success from the attack than a total destruction of the wellspring of all Terran life.

Regardless, I'm immensely more interested in this new season than I ever was for the books, these actors and characters are just so dang good and they keep getting better every season. Man do I want to see
    Drummer setting up for some serious heavy-duty vengeance after finding out what happened to Ashford.

Major book spoilers for both the book discussed in the above spoilers and the rest of the series
    I'm guessing they go with a much less severe apocalypse on Earth coupled with a shorter time skip after.

The big time skip in the books allowed Earth to be on the mend and for the colonies to be well established. That's a problem in a TV show, though, because now your entire cast has to wear age-up makeup forever. If they go with a lesser apocalypse then they can do, like, a 10 year time skip and get away with some white streaks in people's hair and a little crow's feet. The colonies will be less developed, but that means not having to manufacture entire cities in CG on Laconia and...whatever the 'trade hub' planet is.

• Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular

Better to be surprised

The way the last season ended left very little doubt about that happening.

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Phoenix-D wrote: »

Better to be surprised

The way the last season ended left very little doubt about that happening.

(Spoiler just in case)
    Yeah, it's already definitely established that the Belter plan involves as many strikes as possible because, thankfully, the writers picked up on the fact that Earth is going to notice missing rocks big enough to threaten the Earth. But with enough strikes, it doesn't matter; something will get through eventually, it just won't be as big as in the books when a hit does finally land.

I have no doubt Earth is going to get hit, though.

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Did the
    Mars defense strike
    thing from season 3(?) happen in the books? I can't remember. I recall seeing it in the show and thinking maybe they'd subbed it in for the
    asteroid strike

I'm really hyped for the new season, it's my favourite show nowadays. I hope them working around Anvar, if he has been reduced, doesn't make things too awkward.

• ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    Sucks about Anvar. Love his character and he was instrumental in the show finding a new home, so of course he gotta turn out an abusive dillweed.

• electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    Zxerol wrote: »
    Sucks about Anvar. Love his character and he was instrumental in the show finding a new home, so of course he gotta turn out an abusive dillweed.

Yeah I finally braved looking that up after the season, and there's no real redeeming qualities anywhere in there - dude has been straight toxic all over. Personally hoping they just recast the character.

• Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular

Yeah I finally braved looking that up after the season, and there's no real redeeming qualities anywhere in there - dude has been straight toxic all over. Personally hoping they just recast the character.

For sure, it's a real damn bummer. I agree on recasting... the character Alex deserves better than to be completely written out, so hopefully they'll find an actual decent human being to replace him and we can all move on. For Season 5 at least, I'll just have to keep reminding myself that this is Alex Kamal, not Cas Anvar.

Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
    Did the
    Mars defense strike
    thing from season 3(?) happen in the books? I can't remember. I recall seeing it in the show and thinking maybe they'd subbed it in for the
    asteroid strike

I'm really hyped for the new season, it's my favourite show nowadays. I hope them working around Anvar, if he has been reduced, doesn't make things too awkward.
    No, that was an additional thing. But it was a good addition a) because it sets up why the Belters specifically do the stealth rock thing (as they got to see Mars do the same kind of attack successfully but lack nukes of their own) and b) much more directly implicates people of the Earth government as directly complicit in risking millions of people for purely political gain. It also set up a situation where, politically, it makes it all but impossible for that administration to back down because now they have to push a war with Mars in order to avoid being blamed for all the deaths.

And on top of all that, it also shows the Earth defense system and why using regular asteroids as weapons would be difficult. Earth has railguns that can hit you across the system, so you would have to get an object to within minutes or maybe even seconds of Earth undetected if you wanted any chance of a successful strike.

• StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    Big Dookie wrote: »

For sure, it's a real damn bummer. I agree on recasting... the character Alex deserves better than to be completely written out, so hopefully they'll find an actual decent human being to replace him and we can all move on. For Season 5 at least, I'll just have to keep reminding myself that this is Alex Kamal, not Cas Anvar.

If they were just one season further in they could use the
    time jump
    to quietly recast him without making too many waves. I don't know much about the current status of the allegations, but as much as I like his interpretation of Alex, it's not something that couldn't easily be handed off without impacting the show.

On a brighter note, I'm super psyched they got this in the can before Covid. It's amazing how some productions have managed to offload their editing and post production while others have been frozen in time since March. Granted, this probably means we won't see Season 6 well into 2022, but hey, I'll take any joy I can get to finish out 2020.

I hope they re-cast Alex with an actor who can do a much more ridiculous Texas drawl.

annoying, but it's nice to finally have a premiere date

edited October 2020
    Weekly release is definitely my preference, I'm completely over streaming shows dropping everything at once. Makes it impossible to discuss it with anybody because either they've watched the entire thing and might spoil things for you or haven't watched any of it and you could spoil it all for them.

Those weekly releases make regular discussion massively more common and easier, along with giving the show some time to actually breathe between episodes.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    Also Cas Anvar update:

Yeah, the implication to me is that he's in the season, but will be written out somehow.

book spoilers
    his storyline would probably actually be most easy to write out or give to someone else

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • swaylowswaylow Registered User regular
    Weekly release is definitely my preference, I'm completely over streaming shows dropping everything at once. Makes it impossible to discuss it with anybody because either they've watched the entire thing and might spoil things for you or haven't watched any of it and you could spoil it all for them.

Those weekly releases make regular discussion massively more common and easier, along with giving the show some time to actually breathe between episodes.

You can even tell the difference in discussion from the old Expanse thread here. Season 4 (all at once) had far less specific commentary compared to Season 3, even though it seems most would agree S4 was stronger. Even though I don't regularly contribute to the weekly discussion, I really enjoy reading it so I am all for the weekly release.

Plus as you said it makes discussing it in person/text much easier since it's just "are you caught up or not" to start.

swaylow wrote: »

You can even tell the difference in discussion from the old Expanse thread here. Season 4 (all at once) had far less specific commentary compared to Season 3, even though it seems most would agree S4 was stronger. Even though I don't regularly contribute to the weekly discussion, I really enjoy reading it so I am all for the weekly release.

Plus as you said it makes discussing it in person/text much easier since it's just "are you caught up or not" to start.

S1 of The Mandalorian enjoyed months of discussion and attention because of weekly releases. Just dumping everything at once means the entire season gets something like a week of attention, a big burst of discussion, and then absolutely nothing because everybody else is binging it at different times. No way is worth dropping entire seasons as a huge chunk.

About the only thing worse is Netflix's "half-season is a whole season" crap, then putting something like 6 months between "seasons". Just make a proper entire season and do a weekly release, having a 6-month waits in what is realistically the dead center of a season is a horrible idea.

• XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Yes, that is very annoying and the theory shorter seasons somehow is supposed to make the quality go up doesn't hold up so we end up with no benefit.

• GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    The Expanse to End With Season 6

I guess that is one way to avoid the time skip?

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
    Further, Cas Anvar will not be in season 6.

So I guess that means no
    Laconia
    at all?