As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [Interesting Facts] are coming from INSIDE THE HOUSE

• Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Fish-related
    The deep sea bathypelagic bony-eared assfish,[3] has the smallest [brain-to-bodyweight] ratio of all known vertebrates.[4]

Platy on
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Platy wrote: »
    Tetrapods are cladistically nested within fish so

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hou0lU8WMgo

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Fish-related
    The deep sea bathypelagic bony-eared assfish,[3] has the smallest [brain-to-bodyweight] ratio of all known vertebrates.[4]

been there

• Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    Like many other creatures that dwell in the depths of the sea, the bodies of assfish are soft and flabby, and their skeletons are light and reduced. This is likely to have resulted from a lack of food and the high pressures which accompany living at such a depth, making it difficult to generate muscle and bone.[6]

That's a shame, no one likes a flabby ass.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    I don't speak Russian, is that a missile you put a person inside?

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    I am afraid that is a nuclear fission bomb

Hobnail on
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Well now I gotta know what a limber sparrowhawk would get you, accommodation wise

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular

This is what happens when you can't get the nature documentary participants to sign the waiver

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    I think there's a German source about what are "acceptable" birds for each social class

As I remember it, an Emperor should hunt with an eagle, kings should hunt with a gyrfalcon

A sparrowhawk would be for someone lowly I think

• Options
    I'm wrong and it's actually an English-language source from 1486, the Emperor threw me off

Sparrowhawk would be the proper bird for a priest

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I think there's a German source about what are "acceptable" birds for each social class

As I remember it, an Emperor should hunt with an eagle, kings should hunt with a gyrfalcon

A sparrowhawk would be for someone lowly I think

Yeah I was just reading this stuff the other day, it's from the Book of St. Albans (which is also the origin of all of those delightful groups of animals like murder of crows and parliament of owls)

Sparrowhawks are for priests, apparently

• Options
    The Ars Magica roleplaying game added the acceptable bird for wizards, which is the lammergeier, or bearded vulture:

lammergeier_1.jpg

Harry Potter would have been a lot more metal with these buggers delivering mail

Their diet is mainly bone marrow, and while they feed on carrion like other vultures, they'll also pick up living animals and drop them from a great height

Also the head colouring is cosmetic, so the different houses could have had colour-coded lammergeiers

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Just remember the Nemo Effect. Would you rather owls or those as pets?

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    Well now I gotta know what a limber sparrowhawk would get you, accommodation wise

You know, you can stay in either of our spare rooms rent-free as long as you want.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular

You know, you can stay in either of our spare rooms rent-free as long as you want.

well then what the hell am I going to do with this achy sparrowhawk

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular

Gentle massage

• Options
    I was going to say, tynic, that your look would be very much complimented by a sparrowhawk perched on your arm

But I feel like it would probably be complimented even more by an achy, dare I say even slightly grumpy, Sparrowhawk perched on your shoulder or perhaps nestled on top of your head as you sit and browse the forum

I think that's quite a pleasing concept

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    edited October 2020
    I guess I never really thought through the implications of the name "sparrowhawk," but now this thread has me imagining a medieval priest spending his day off hunting sparrows. "Not today, you horrible little fluffballs."

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

Teach it to make friends with the owls in the park across the road?

• Options
  • Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    Just remember the Nemo Effect. Would you rather owls or those as pets?

Definitely those.

• Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    Huh, never really thought much about it but apparently the common depiction of the Dodo bird we've all seen is kinda actually bullshit?

The stuffed Dodo in London is a Frankenstein's monster of plaster and a few other birds designed around a handful of descriptions that had no real evidence to back them up.

I had just kinda accepted we knew what these things actually looked like but I guess it ended up being one of those weird historical blips that everybody just went with.

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I'm not surprised in the least, although yeah, I'd never actually thought about it before now.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    On the one hand it sucks that it never existed but on the other hand if it never existed I sont’t have to feel bad about it going extinct.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    On the one hand it sucks that it never existed but on the other hand if it never existed I sont’t have to feel bad about it going extinct.

It did exist, it's just it went extinct so fast no one was able to actually record its real appearance.

• Options
    The Dodo definitely existed we just somehow did an horrendous job of actually documenting it.

It went out just at the point where science was starting to be a thing and people were interested in cataloging and documenting things but were also really bad at it I guess.

Like, apparently there are very few, maybe two(?) completeish Dodo skeletons. There's a head and a foot at the Oxford museum. Thats about it.

A lot of the early illustrations of Dodos seem to fall into that medieval vein of "guy hears a vague description of a giraffe or whatever, draws it and presents it to the public as fact."

Its just kind of odd. Everybody has "seen" a Dodo but what we all know as the Dodo is not an accurate representation of the real animal.

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    so the dodo is basically the victorian version of this medieval clam illustration

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
  • Options
    Mess with the clammo
    You get the whammo

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    p4tkurdklqaw.png

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    I dont actually appreciate knowing whats going to kill me ahead of time

• Options
    That twitter account is great

Anything brutalism related I am 100% there fore

• Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    fun with microscopes
    https://youtu.be/b25CPtt5LRk

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
  • Options
    It's like a good version of the It Follows e-reader