As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

I Really Hope the [Kids] are alright

lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
Kids! Parenting! Families!

A lot of us have to deal with all or some of the above.

Whether you're planning your start on this journey, you've just jumped into the pool and are wondering wtf is going on, you're well on your way into toddlerhood, just getting ready for school, or you're able to see the actual light at the end of the tunnel, Join us!

Basic rules for this thread

Talk about your kids! Bitch about your kids! Complain and commiserate and show pride in your kids! Kvetch about your in-laws, your parents, or even random strangers in the supermarket thinking that they know better than you about your kids.

Nothing is sacred, but we do ask that if all you're going to do is come in here and start in on how dumb we all are for having kids, or you're going to go on a rant about how having children at this time in human history is dumb/stupid/selfish/whatever, kindly fuck off with that shit. It's hard enough to be a parent without added guilt.

I think a big focus in this thread is going to be discussing things like how we're all coping with school/covid. That is definitely welcome talk! Somebody might have found a strategy for coping that you haven't thought of yet!

Let's talk about our kids, y'all.

• AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    I just sold the box and the baby bed, I don't expect a 2nd kid to appear any time soon. it feels good to have more space in our storage (we live in a 1000 sq ft apartment), but it's a weird feeling to do away with perfectly good furniture that would have been perfect for a mini-me.

• PerrsunPerrsun Registered User regular
    How about a potty training question:
    At just over 3, our little guy is happy to wear his briefs/underwear during the day, and we’ve even gone for hour long walks to the park, and he’ll hold it until he gets home. We’re still sticking to diapers for now during naps and at night, but he seems to fully understand when he needs to pee while awake.

Pooping, on the other hand... he doesn’t even want to try to go on the potty. Whether it’s on his little potty, or if we put the potty seat on the big toilet (both of which he’s comfortable peeing on) he doesn’t want to try. He just doesn’t go... and my original tactic was to let him hold it and he’d go when he had to go bad enough, but after 3 days of no poops my wife overrode me and put a diaper on him before his nap, and just let him play until he went.

And ever since then now we have a routine where before his nap he gets put in a diaper for long enough to poop, we clean him up and then he naps.

So, how do you convince a kid that it’s ok to poop on the potty?

• BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Perrsun wrote: »
    At just over 3, our little guy is happy to wear his briefs/underwear during the day, and we’ve even gone for hour long walks to the park, and he’ll hold it until he gets home. We’re still sticking to diapers for now during naps and at night, but he seems to fully understand when he needs to pee while awake.

Pooping, on the other hand... he doesn’t even want to try to go on the potty. Whether it’s on his little potty, or if we put the potty seat on the big toilet (both of which he’s comfortable peeing on) he doesn’t want to try. He just doesn’t go... and my original tactic was to let him hold it and he’d go when he had to go bad enough, but after 3 days of no poops my wife overrode me and put a diaper on him before his nap, and just let him play until he went.

And ever since then now we have a routine where before his nap he gets put in a diaper for long enough to poop, we clean him up and then he naps.

Fuck if I know. Sapling doesn't even want to try sitting on the little kid potty. We tried getting her some pull up, and sort of moving it towards "see, you can put them on by yourself, like underwear", and even bought her some Frozen underwear for when she learns to use the potty, and shes just like "why would I bother with that when you do all the work for me?"

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    My youngest was just the laziest. He knew exactly what to do, but didn't want to. So we just put him in underwear and cleaned him up when he had an accident. It helped that he night trained before he fully potty trained, so no training pants for nap or bed time. He was too lazy to hold it in, though, so we didn't have to deal with that. When he figured out we were serious, he would yell " poop" when he needed to go. Still trying to figure out how to be more discrete about it ...
    With my daughter, we basically get a video to watch during #2. It became a bit of a treat, as we had tried to limit screen time for her. Just sat her down and told her to take her time. It backfired a little, because now she'll hold it in sometimes if she doesn't get a show and get a bit constipated... Working in that, too.

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    rexd4hpdfrw0.png

My son showing off the two forms of a standard JRPG boss:
    -The regal, cocky, and arrogant form
    -And the full-powered, crazed psycho form

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Third season of Bluey being shown on Aus TV end of October.
    Get hyped

• plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    Perrsun wrote: »

Give other seatng options a go, if that's possible. We had a seat that sits over the toilet like this, rather than the potty itself.
    https://m.catch.com.au/product/kids-toddler-toilet-ladder-potty-step-training-seat-413891/?gclid=CjwKCAjw_NX7BRA1EiwA2dpg0jYPc3VFLbyui9zhKqTAlTrt6AzVaYxOICCmvyykpoaeTGscYKZ5sRoCWkoQAvD_BwE&offer_id=135156
    The youngest just sits on the toilet seat with a footstool under his feet.

3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    discrider wrote: »
    Third season of Bluey being shown on Aus TV end of October.
    Get hyped

I am like 99% sure Uncle Rad is played by Chris Hemsworth, based on the golden flowing hair, the super hero landing when he punches the bucket, and the fact that one of the producers was the room mate in The Thor at home documentaries.

3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
    Little King's teacher just gave us a whole bunch of compliments about how eager he is to learn and how dedicated he is to learning new stuff and how he is exceeding her expectations. Called him a knowledge-sponge. I am very proud of him :D

• davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Leah’s first game design.

YCerxAn.jpg

She’s busy building new chapters. Kickstarter coming soon (I’m sure).

Leah’s first game design.

YCerxAn.jpg

She’s busy building new chapters. Kickstarter coming soon (I’m sure).

NO KICKSTARTER LINKS!

:D

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    Recording audio for Middle Guy's class, take four:

Me: ...and this letter is?
    MG: O! The letter O!
    Me: And it makes the sound?
    MG: Uh, uh, uh!
    Me: Nice! Alright, ready? (begins recording) Middle Guy, what letter is this?
    MG: (is upside down on the couch and giggling; I frantically, silently get his attention) Ahhhhh-he-he-he! Oh, uhhh...ummm...
    Me: (mouthing)O! Letter O!
    MG:...I guess,...O?
    Me: And the sound it makes?
    MG: (distracted again by something already) Tuh! Tuh! Tuh!

Repeat for every class and assignment, all day long

• DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Oh good. I'm not the only one who has that problem.

DisruptedCapitalist on
    "Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    My kiddo will say what he wants to say, when he wants to say it, and at no other time. Given he's also disinclined to speak at all to anyone 80% of the time, but thus far on his first week of Preschool: Year 2: Virtual Edition, he mostly giggles a lot.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    After wondering what all the traffic congestion was about on our walk to the park with the stroller and some googling: ah, we better stay on this side of the park and maybe go back home. Half the park is in the evacuation radius of a 500kg bomb. Such is life in a German city

Wtf???

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
    Lots of WW2 remnants everywhere in Germany. Happens every once in a while. Often on construction sites.

7k people have to evacuate this time. I think last year or the one before there was one where 40k had to evacuate in my hometown

edited October 2020
    Ohhhhh... I thought it was some modern extremist group making threats or something. I was surprised it wasn't making international news.

DisruptedCapitalist on
    Oh yeah, I work in a city that was bombed in WW2 and we have a bomb map to check against when someone wants to dig a hole somewhere. There's actually still a few dents in the roof of the train station from a bombardment. At this point in time it is just a fun little fact to tell tourists, but it does make you think about how fucked places like Syria and Iraq are after so many years of violence. It'll be another 50 years before their bomb maps are just fun little facts, instead of constant threats to human lives.

Ohhhhh... I thought it was some modern extremist group making threats or something. I was surprised it wasn't making international news.

Ah, sorry for that. Was a bit unclear in the first post

• kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Our three-year-old is an incredibly unreliable narrator for what happened earlier in the day. Like, fundamentals of "did you sleep/eat" are arbitrarily chosen by her as best I can tell. Let alone more intricate things like "what books did you read" or whatever.

This seems normal to me? She's three, I wasn't expecting much. Is that accurate ish?

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Yeah.

Time has no meaning. She will tell you that something happened the other day, but that could be yesterday or it could be three months ago.

It gets better as you start working with her to recognize the difference between yesterday and last month.

• RanlinRanlin Oh gosh Registered User regular
    I can't recall specifically how common it is at 3, I don't honestly remember the normal range for it at all, but that's definitely a normal small child thing, they're still building basic concepts for interacting with others that we take for granted.

• MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    mrpaku wrote: »

MG: (is upside down on the couch and giggling; I frantically, silently get his attention) Ahhhhh-he-he-he! Oh, uhhh...ummm...

Are you fucking kidding me? They are asking you to do that?

I am in the business of saving lives.
    I was doing that last spring when the school district was scrambling to come up with some kind of viable curriculum. Luckily we haven't had to do that yet this year even with once-a-week remote days.

MegaMan001 wrote: »
    mrpaku wrote: »

Are you fucking kidding me? They are asking you to do that?

Yup! Partner and I are basically taking Kindergarten all over again, if we dont want our kids to get sick. Middle Guy needs constant 1-on-1 to stay on task. According to the teacher, we're supposed to be leaving him to do it himself, letting him "learn to learn" but...I mean, you guys are all roughly aware of Middle Guy as an individual. *As it stands*, he'll get distracted and go off task while I'm directly watching him. So our options are either "let him fail" or "hand holding". Hand holding means sitting there making sure he actually pays attention to his meetings, and then dragging the horse to water to get him to do his assignments. He's very capable to do the assignments, mind you, he'd just...prefer not to, and will spend fifty minutes attempting to not complete a two minute job.

I don't hold it against the school, they're doing the absolute best they can. But Middle Guy needs a little extra help, and the only extra services they're offering is speech once a week. I'm pretty lucky that I get to be home and 1-on-1 with him. I am also desperately longing for the day I don't have to be

• MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    Finally gave up and am enrolling our 2nd grader in daycare for Fridays. Want to send her chromebook instead of the iPad because... Yeah. But apparently Google did some sort of upgrade that broke everything, so we had to figure that out today.
    They have about a dozen different programs they are using for the school with their own passwords to set up. It's way too much. And most of the parents are not getting it, and now instruction time is actually now tech support. One program uses a web browser, but you need to disable pop ups.... Oof. I actually did it, but so many people see a " oops that didn't work", and then just completely ignore the text underneath detailing exactly how to fix it

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    That sounds a little bit like the rushed online learning our kids were doing last year, with a ton of different programs and logins.

This year the school district was actually prepared and streamlined everything to an immense degree. I've only had to help my daughter with a login once and that was the first time she had to log in to a new math program. I haven't had to help my son with anything at all except for one day when Zoom randomly wouldn't allow him to unmute, and that ended up being fixed by rebooting his chromebook. Their use of Zoom has been way better, especially with the breakout rooms, even just through it working consistently - unlike last year when teachers chose programs at random and they frequently had tech issues.

So of course they're starting a return to school by bringing kids back in part-time via a new hybrid model, next week. And this model will completely change the way the online learning is being handled. Ugh. Our kids are staying online only, so we'll see how this goes.

oh my god

(I leave Middle Guy in his Breakout Room while I use the bathroom for *twenty-friggin-seconds*. As I come back out:)

Middle Guy: (unmuted) PEOPLE! My family is being attacked, and under control...by a-l-i-e-n-s! (slams his desk like Lex Luthor)This. *IS* .HAPPENING!.

• BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    My sister-in-law brought up that if this is all still going on by the time her daughter needs to start kindergarten, she's going to use our states existing online program, rather than whatever a given district has tried to come up with. It might be worth looking into.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    While driving tonight, Ellie asked me to tell her about my friend in the United States that died.
    So I told her that many years ago Mommy had lost s very close friend named Chris. Mommy loved him very much, but he had gotten very sick and his heart stopped working. I told her that mommy missed Chris very much, even though it was a long time ago that he had died.

Ellie sat with this in silence for a little while and then... And then she said, "Well Mommy. When I have a baby, I'm going to call it Chris. And then you and Chris can be friends again and you won't have to miss him anymore because he'll be there with you all the time."

I did very well to not start crying while I was driving, but it was a close call.

• TefTef Registered User regular
    Goddamn

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
    Such a kind girl. She is going to be alright, Ahava.

• DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular

Look, I fuel planes, I'm not a professional photographer

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Me or my wife would have to quit our job to provide that amount of supervision for home learning.

You are all legends.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »

Look, I fuel planes, I'm not a professional photographer

Maybe so, but to her you are the whole world and there is nothing more important.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page