As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Phone Specs

I'm trying to help a friend out with the tech portion of an art project for a display.

He's going to have a cheapo vr headset with a phone and a projector projecting what the wearer is seeing.
So we need a cheap phone that supports gyroscopes for the VR which wasn't too hard to find but we tried several and none of them supported HDMI out. I even learned none of my Google phones do it which was surprising.
The third need is we want to be able to charge it while using that HDMI out. I figured a basic C-splitter would be fine, they're popular now. However several seem to say they don't support charging. I thought wireless charging might be a good way to avoid that issue but a lot of those phones are pricey. We were looking at refurbs online and hoping to keep it under $200.

Anyone know of a phone that might fit our needs? Or a good USB-C hub that might charge?

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Belkin makes a USB-C splitter that can charge and use the port at once

I recommend a cheap Samsung, like the A11 or something like that.

Missed the bit about the gyro and Hdmi out at once, I'll have to look into that

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    After looking around a bit, I think you might actually be better off with a slightly older model phone like a Galaxy S9. It's a flagship so you'd get the Gyro and it has HDMI out, Samsung even sells a dongle. Getting an older one used probably wouldn't be too hard.

• Options
    BlindZenDriverBlindZenDriver Registered User regular
    A possible choice could also be a LG V30
    I've used mine with the Google VR thing and it worked really well. Now I have not hooked it up to a HDMI, but it does support that.

Also as a bonus. The phone has really super audio so it can be used as a top notch music player one the project is done.
    https://stereophile.com/content/lg-v30-hi-res-smartphone-mqa

Bones heal, glory is forever.