As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Warhammer - Age of Sigmar] The New Fantasy

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    HeroQuest broke 2m which opened up a bunch of new stretch goals.

I want that Orc bard so bad, you guys.

Really? I cannot.wait till I get home then

• H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    HeroQuest broke 2m which opened up a bunch of new stretch goals.

I want that Orc bard so bad, you guys.

I think getting the druid hero that is unlocked at 2.4 million is a safe bet, as there is a lot of time left and these funding campaigns usually see a surge towards the end. The Orc bard is rad, but I think 3 million might be a long shot. Here's hoping, though.

They had comments from the guest designers for the second quest book (also unlocked at 3 million) and druid visible on the Hasbro pulse site even before they revealed the extra stretch goals, which confused me at the time, but I don't see any more missing unlocks so I'm uncertain whether there will be any more stretch goals after the 3 million double feature.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    I don't get why people keep talking about not AoS in here?

The new Gargant warscrolls seem neat, and a fun with to shake things up. One can destroy terrain(making it deadly and making it rubble), and another can kick an objective 2d6" away which could be hilarious if it sees use in tournaments.

steam_sig.png
  • H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    The original Hero Quest was made through a partnership between Games Workshop and Milton Bradley (now a subsidiary of Hasbro, who are doing a funding campaign to make a modern version sans-GW). While not officially a part of the Warhammer Fantasy Battles world, it had Fimir and Chaos Warrior (specifically a single-ax variant of Slambo) minis for bad guys, and just generally a very WHFB feel to it. If memory serves, after HQ wound down, GW made a spiritual successor that leaned into the Warhammer roots and added more RPG elements, called Warhammer Quest. So while the new Hero Quest game is being done without GW, they are trying to hew fairly close to the original, which makes it something of a relative of AoS (itself being a reboot of WHFB).

One interesting consequence of Hasbro doing this without GW is the fish men "Abominations" in the new set are their replacement for the fimir from the original HQ. All the other enemies were fantasy staples (skeletons, ghouls, goblins, orcs, dark knights, wizards, and a pretty typical demon called the "Gargoyle" to avoid upsetting Christian fundies), so just making new sculpts was enough to de-warhammer them, but I guess the fimir were too distinctive to GW.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Pleasant surpise: Mega-gargants are cheaper than expected. They're €150, but "only" NOK 1270 = €117.

On the downside, no one here offers discounts.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    When people first started talking about the "sons of behemat" release, the new name had me expecting something much wilder and more... AoS-y?... than what we got. I don't know, but an expanded range in the same vein as the old WHFB Giants feels underwhelming to me. I was hoping they would do something with the old sky titans' background lore and the fact that the Ogre's big canons were made by the titans, to make them much weirder and more fantastical.

Yeah, i keep coming back to this.
    Considering the size and cost and spectacle of the army, having them all be "huge generic semi nude man" seems baffling dull to me.
    Maybe it's just not an aesthetic aimed at me, but hey, less things to buy i guess!

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Dayspring wrote: »
    When people first started talking about the "sons of behemat" release, the new name had me expecting something much wilder and more... AoS-y?... than what we got. I don't know, but an expanded range in the same vein as the old WHFB Giants feels underwhelming to me. I was hoping they would do something with the old sky titans' background lore and the fact that the Ogre's big canons were made by the titans, to make them much weirder and more fantastical.

Considering the size and cost and spectacle of the army, having them all be "huge generic semi nude man" seems baffling dull to me.
    Maybe it's just not an aesthetic aimed at me, but hey, less things to buy i guess!

Like I’ve said elsewhere, if this had been the refugee sky-titans returning for their vengeance on the littles, I would have been all over that. But they are just more biggerer giants; except they’re also part namekian now? Seeing as how they were spawned by being vomited up by their dying father or something…

Having perused GMG’s review of the book, they have actually been worked into a mechanically interesting force but the models being so blah (and not actually as big as advertised - several extant models are taller) really leaves me cold.

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    Dayspring wrote: »

I'm not interested in them at all. If I want to see a huge generic semi nude man I'll look in the mirror for free.

• NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    The original Hero Quest was made through a partnership between Games Workshop and Milton Bradley (now a subsidiary of Hasbro, who are doing a funding campaign to make a modern version sans-GW). While not officially a part of the Warhammer Fantasy Battles world, it had Fimir and Chaos Warrior (specifically a single-ax variant of Slambo) minis for bad guys, and just generally a very WHFB feel to it. If memory serves, after HQ wound down, GW made a spiritual successor that leaned into the Warhammer roots and added more RPG elements, called Warhammer Quest. So while the new Hero Quest game is being done without GW, they are trying to hew fairly close to the original, which makes it something of a relative of AoS (itself being a reboot of WHFB).

One interesting consequence of Hasbro doing this without GW is the fish men "Abominations" in the new set are their replacement for the fimir from the original HQ. All the other enemies were fantasy staples (skeletons, ghouls, goblins, orcs, dark knights, wizards, and a pretty typical demon called the "Gargoyle" to avoid upsetting Christian fundies), so just making new sculpts was enough to de-warhammer them, but I guess the fimir were too distinctive to GW.

The gargoyle is actually a bloodthirster, a hilariously small one.

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Norgoth wrote: »
    The gargoyle is actually a bloodthirster, a hilariously small one.

I glued the wings upside down on mine. :<

• pardzhpardzh Registered User regular
    Man, old Chaos and Daemon models had so much unique flair to them. Bring back dog-faced Khornate dudes!

gt: Bobby2Socks | steam: Billy Boot-Snatcher

You talk clean and bomb hospitals, so I speak with the foulest mouth possible
  • Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular

In between HeroQuest and Warhammer Quest there was Advanced HeroQuest which was 100% Warhammer. It introduced Skaven. Of course there was also Battle Masters which was pretty much just WHFB-lite.

The original HeroQuest (and it's Milton Bradley collab 40k brother, Space Crusade) featured prominently in White Dwarf during their run with new rules, quests, etc.

HeroQuest is the close uncle who introduced AoS' parents.

Fun fact: Space Crusade contained the first look at what would become Necrons.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    Chaos Androids!
    Space Crusade's Dreadnought design still rules

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    And the space crusade sentry gun just got reintroduced to 40k

• DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    I'm sorry I brought it up, because not only does it sound like it isnt age of sigmar, people are talking about space guns now.

Edit: Sorry I guess I'll just report the posts next time instead.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
    Ok, let’s talk about flying dwarves then?
    1fasc801iha0.jpeg

I don’t have the Kharadron book so I don’t know if this is a new option or not? It does seem kinda tacked on this week, like they had something bigger planned but weren’t able to do it…

• Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    They're the hero who was previously only available as part of the Aether Wars dual box, just released as a separate kit now.

Ah, ok, that makes sense then; didn’t they say something a while back about making a bunch of those set exclusive models available separately again?

• Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Kharadon Overlords always kind of bugged me as they seem like a real missed opportunity. They could have been automatons created by a long-dead dwarf race or something cool but they're just dwarfs in armor.

AoS is such a great opportunity to really go wide with aesthetics and storytelling and they only bothered with 1.

• SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    I hate playing against KO, because having ships that can just fly away and drop down wherever they like makes me feel like I'm playing whack-a-mole. It becomes a race to bog down a ship in close combat before it can bounce off to sit on an objective somewhere or park itself just barely in range of my units and shoot them to hell while I can't really do anything about it.
    I'm sorry I brought it up, because not only does it sound like it isnt age of sigmar, people are talking about space guns now.

I'd rather see occasional straying into "related to AOS even if it's not AOS" territory than whiny metamodding.

• Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    They have begun teasing for Warcry Catacombs, going to have to keep an eye out for that preorder.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
    They have begun teasing for Warcry Catacombs, going to have to keep an eye out for that preorder.

I have been in the process of largely divesting myself of unpainted minis and scaling back which games I choose to focus on. I think at this point in my life I'm more or less out of the business of painting "armies" aside from a few notable exceptions and really only care about skirmish games.

This definitely got my attention.

If Catacombs is anywhere near as good as the first Warcry box set it's definitely a buy for me

I wonder if they'll include a bunch of neutral models again

• Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    They've already shown the contents of the catacombs box in the last preview show I think, doesn't look like it has any cave monsters or anything, more's the pity, and there's less scenery elements overall but that seems to be to accommodate being able to set up underground and overground battlefields from the one box. I like both the warbands more than the two included in the original starter box though, and I'm a known sucker for Daughters of Khaine stuff, so I'm planning on grabbing a box.

• AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    They've already shown the contents of the catacombs box in the last preview show I think, doesn't look like it has any cave monsters or anything, more's the pity, and there's less scenery elements overall but that seems to be to accommodate being able to set up underground and overground battlefields from the one box. I like both the warbands more than the two included in the original starter box though, and I'm a known sucker for Daughters of Khaine stuff, so I'm planning on grabbing a box.

I missed out on the first starter set, but that was fine. I'm not too big a fan of Chaos, apart from my Beastie Boys.

The Catacombs box looks great. I've long been a little DoK-curious and the Chaos warband looks incredible.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
    Here is a link to the preview article.

I may just pick this up. Both warbands really appeal to me and less terrain to paint is always a plus.

• honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    That slannesh warband is top notch. Not a big fan of the lumineth band. Mostly the poses I think.

The Slaangor was the MVP of that whole thing, for sure.

Good news everyone! /Farnsworth

Warcry:
    Looks like they are re-releasing the Tome of Champions, Monsters & Mercenaries, and Cardpacks in new books, each one themed around a grand alliance. Which is nice as many people had no way to get the cards for their warbands if they bought the wrong box, or are a new player and the cards were out of print. These will also be excellent additions for a new player who is buying catacombs and doesnt have all the other books etc.

steam_sig.png
    Personally I find warcry plays best with the actual warcry squads, but it's good to have an option for the other factions which aren't a single print run of cards, certainly.

Personally I find warcry plays best with the actual warcry squads, but it's good to have an option for the other factions which aren't a single print run of cards, certainly.

This is something they brought in in the stream. With this new, uh "season" I guess, they wanted to bring all the other non-Chaos factions up to par.

Yes, but as far as I can tell it's mostly just a reprinting of the warband stats you could get as separate card packs, with some fated missions and the like? I find that the warbands pulling from full AoS factions (naturally) have a larger selection of fighters to draw from compared to the warcry specific boxes which can lead to some disparity, the best games I've had have been those using only the warcry squads.

It's probably worth mentioning that on the stream it was slipped that next weekend is probably going to be the preorder for the Catacombs box for those interested.

• Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    The issue we found with AoS warbands in Warcry was that they were often very one note and could either be at a massive advantage or disadvantage depending on the scenario.

Sadly killed the game in our group.

MhCw7nZ.gif
    The issue we found with AoS warbands in Warcry was that they were often very one note and could either be at a massive advantage or disadvantage depending on the scenario.

These books are supposed to be introducing new material to bring the non-chaos factions into line in terms of quests and development and so on.

Mr_Rose wrote: »

These books are supposed to be introducing new material to bring the non-chaos factions into line in terms of quests and development and so on.

I’m more hopeful they do a bit of work on rebalancing points costs and abilities.

Some factions are just in desperate need of help, like the Fyreslayers.

steam_sig.png
    I got the impression they're just compilations of the 3 Warcry books (Core, M&M, Champions) and cards, tailored to each GA.

At first I was excited for more AoS in Warcry but it kinda spiraled out of control balance wise.

• Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    they put more thought than KIll Team at first but its pretty off the rails right now while KT is still very healthy.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
    I was fine with warcry using different interpretations of chaos in the warbands
    The not DoK ones make sense with the war against chaos and it's why I feel they were going to sneak in Malerion's armies whatever they will be

still I thought they were going to preview the Broken realms stuff and the xmas bundle deals

They are DoK. Morathi's hand picked agents no less.

Axen wrote: »
    They are DoK. Morathi's hand picked agents no less.

I call them the Not DoK since they are not currently in the book they are morathi's agents

This discussion has been closed.